michael-ibk

Your emoticons are perfect for what it feels like to wrap up a successful trip. :(<_<:angry::unsure:-_-

There's another artistically winding road! The last one.

This is a safari hit parade. The hyena den alone could be a trip highlight. You had the good luck to see great den activity in the day. Then to follow up with the leopard cubs. (Thank goodness people talk in camp, eh?) Even your vultures were doing interesting aerial antics and not just sitting there. The mongoose were literally climbing on top of each other to pose for you.

I think you wrote that your previous Botswana safari was the best one yet. Care to reconsider? Though each trip has its own charm, appeal, and special moments.

So has much happened since back when you were hoping for gerenuk. The stuff you saw would seem like you had spent an entire season in the Mara. Your six days/nights worth really delivered! Did you tell us how many shots you took in total before deletions?

madaboutcheetah

I'm going to miss looking out for updates to this report, Michael ....... Sad it's over - but, will look forward to reading your report from your upcoming trip Tracking Tigers!

Really enjoyed this report @@michael-ibk

You obviously had a fantastic trip with so many highlights and great pictures as ever.

@@michael-ibk

A great report with lots of wonderful pictures.

The section at the end showing all the mammals is a great idea. You saw such a wide variety (the advantage of going to the different environments) combined with real quality.

Thank you - it has been really enjoyable and given us a lot to think about!

Another great thread @@michael-ibk. I really enjoyed the borderline-incompetent LBR and the procession of spectators appearing around the feeding lioness - reminds me a bit of eating dinner at home when the housepets start to assemble in begging positions. Also liked the hartebeest doing its best topi - it's nice to be somewhere where jokes like that are made, and also that I understood them. :)

Fantastic curtain call. That's really what it felt like. I gave an instinctive little cheer (but no clapping) and my husband asked me what was going on. I just said, "some nice pictures." What a great idea. But there is one species that is missing. Can you guess which? Or should I say who?

Brilliant report, Michael. I enjoyed reading all your instalments as well as seeing and admiring all those new species that are new to me as well - like the gerenuks, oryx, and seeing all those familiar faces.

Thanks, @@SafariChick , @@TonyQ , @@madaboutcheetah , @@Zim Girl , @@Marks , @@Kitsafari and @@Atravelynn . :)

You had the good luck to see great den activity in the day. Then to follow up with the leopard cubs. (Thank goodness people talk in camp, eh?)

Well, all owed to James, who´s been guiding in the Mara for so long now (he used to be head guide at Intrepid´s) that he really knows it inside out. He told us we would have our best chances at the den early in the morning, and was of course right.

I think you wrote that your previous Botswana safari was the best one yet. Care to reconsider?

I honestly couldn´t answer that, Kenya and Botswana and the whole safari experiences there are so different (at least for us, jeep vs. fly) that it´s impossible to say which one is "better". In Botswana I loved the feeling of being so far "out there", so far away from civilization, that human settlements (camps even) were just small islands in a vast area of wilderness, whereas in Kenya it is pretty much the other way around with wildlife areas encircled by human pressure. Scenery-wise the Kalahari and the Delta especially took my breath away, in a way probably only the Aberdares did on that scale for me in Kenya. But diversity was incredible in Kenya with the different areas we visited, more so in Botswana. And in regards to animal density it´s really no contest, I believe in the Mara especially we had hardly any moments where no wildlife was in sight.

So I won´t name a favourite, just say I enjoyed both very much and will return to both. :)

Did you tell us how many shots you took in total before deletions?

Thousands and thousands, really not sure anymore.

Also liked the hartebeest doing its best topi - it's nice to be somewhere where jokes like that are made, and also that I understood them. :)

Only on Safaritalk, Marks, the place to be for safarinerd jokes. Don´t try them with anyone else :)

But there is one species that is missing. Can you guess which? Or should I say who?

Are you missing homo sapiens? Sorry for that omission, enough of those at home. And everywhere else. ;)

I forgot to mention that we missed another species very narrowly, and in camp even! When we were leaving Mara Bush Camp James was waiting by the car, and told us (and showed us) that he had just taken a picture of a Caracal strolling through!

"So I won´t name a favourite, just say I enjoyed both very much and will return to both." Ever the diplomat.

I have loved this trip report. Thank you for taking the time to do this.

I forgot to mention that we missed another species very narrowly, and in camp even! When we were leaving Mara Bush Camp James was waiting by the car, and told us (and showed us) that he had just taken a picture of a Caracal strolling through!

Put it on the list for another time. Even without the caracal, this has been one fantastic report!

Thanks, @@Double Dare , glad you enjoyed it. :)

And to you, Lynn. Still, a Caracal would have been an awesome ending. Well, I did see one in the Crater in 2011, but had no clue then how lucky I was. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Beginners luck! You seem to have lots of luck following you. Hope that continues!

• 2 weeks later...

@michael-bk You are just showing off with that last supreme safari-nerd post! What a wonderful collection of sightings.

Great report and a great trip.

Thanks a lot, @pault

Hm, "Safari-Nerd" ... I like that, maybe I should change my name. ;)

@@michael-ibk .. actually I am pretty sure I got "safari-nerd" it from your earlier post, although I did hear it once before. :mellow: My only contribution is the alliterative "supreme".

Ah yes - indeed I seem to have written that on the last page. Well, bless short memories - always something "new" that way. :)

A very impressive collection of sightings @@michael-ibk. The only thing missing is photos of the ones you didn't see. :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

Exellent report...would like to hear and see more! You must be a very good photographer..pro?

Thanks, @@IHA , and welcome to Safaritalk! Glad you enjoyed the report. Really anything but "pro", just enjoy taking pics on safari, and have much to learn. :)

• 1 month later...
Alexander33

@ michael-ibk

Obviously, I'm very late to the party. (Actually, I missed the party entirely.). We were doing our thing in Peru when you started this report, and then Christmas, and then....well, you know how it goes.

This has been such a wonderful report. 16 days with a private vehicle and guide? Wake me up when it's over....

There were so many highlights for me, I hardly know where to begin. But I'll try (just based on photos I wish I had taken):

The Martial Eagle on the dik-dik in post 51 (those talons!)

The gerenuks (of course -- those poses)

The Vulturine Guinea Fowl in 60

The hoopoe in 111 (a favorite)

The serval in the Mara in 120

Malaika and her cubs in 153, et al.

The cheetah with her kill in 183, especially that profile

How about that next-to-last full day in the Mara in 188 (Malachite Kingfisher, Saddle-billed Stork, Verraux's Eagle Owl, the lioness with her baby warthog kill and her adorable cubs, that grotesquely fascinating dead hippo (no sharp objects allowed) and , to top it off, that fantastic sunset with the ostrich and topi silhouette)? What a day!

And, then, as a fond farewell, the leopard and her cub on the last evening and that fantastic sighting on your very last morning of the lioness and her kill surrounded by the hyenas, the jackal and the Maribou Stork.

Fantastic report. Put Kenya on my list!

Thanks for taking the time to prepare such an in-depth report. I know how time-consuming that can be.

michael-ibk

@@Alexander33

Thanks for reading, glad you enjoyed it, especially for taking the time to pick out certain pics. Your highlights were mine as well, and the Hoopoe is indeed my favourite African (and Eurasian) bird. Loved Kenya so much that I´m returning there for a week in June. :) And the good thing about private guide/vehicle is that one can do this for the price of a Green Season Botswana safari (in shared vehicles there).

Top notch safari.

Alexander33

Loved Kenya so much that I´m returning there for a week in June.

I am now officially jealous.

• 2 weeks later...

...the Hoopoe is indeed my favourite African (and Eurasian) bird. Loved Kenya so much that I´m returning there for a week in June. :) And the good thing about private guide/vehicle is that one can do this for the price of a Green Season Botswana safari ...

~ @michael-ibk:

As a teenager when I first was learning the binomial nomenclature for bird, plant and animal species, the Latin-based scientific name for the Eurasian Hoopoe gave me much merriment.

What is it about ‘Upupa epops’ that has a certain comical quality?

In any case, I waited about five decades to ever see a hoopoe, which occurred in January of this year.

They are a lovable bird with an unmistakable appearance.

I understand why you're drawn back to Kenya — so am I!

My approach has been a private guide and vehicle which has enhanced my overall satisfaction on safari.

Tom K.