The Perfect weekend in Bandhavgarh with wonderful friends; An incredible Tiger Tracking experience with the magic of Pugdundee safaris .....

madaboutcheetah

Bandhavgarh was a favourite hunting grounds of maharaja of rewa...my grandmother belongs to that area called rewa...we used to go there in my childhood...the place was famous for white tiger s .their number was so huge that the king used to hunt them down in order to keep their numbers at an optimum level...very often we used to hear them while travelling in a bus..it is the only park with highest density of tigers...dont know why these are hard to find now.

Tom Kellie

Hi Gagan - Can't compare Indian safaris to Africa ....... Our Indian Govt makes it difficult and makes it non-tourist friendly - they are clueless!!!!

All that said, India is the only place to see the Tiger - so, there goes any room for comparison.

post-49296-0-84041300-1431122042_thumb.jpg

~ @madaboutcheetah:

What a dramatic image!

I really like it, for the energy which is conveyed.

Your comment above about the impediments to going on Indian safaris is enlightening.

At various times I've moved in the direction of visiting India, but was stymied by bureaucratic red tape both in India and where I live.

Tom K.

Dont know but I think the indian govt puts more emphasis on saving the animals and keeping them away from people ..most of the national parks have safari duration of just 2 hours in morning and evening. ..I think spotting a predator requires more continuous time...

Atravelynn

Tala's bad, Tala's good again. Those tigers need to provide us an advance schedule of their movements. Wonderful tiger portrait @@madaboutcheetah!

Tom Kellie

Bandhavgarh was a favourite hunting grounds of maharaja of rewa...my grandmother belongs to that area called rewa...we used to go there in my childhood...the place was famous for white tiger s .their number was so huge that the king used to hunt them down in order to keep their numbers at an optimum level...very often we used to hear them while travelling in a bus..it is the only park with highest density of tigers...dont know why these are hard to find now.

~ @gagan:

I hope that you'll someday be able to visit Bandhavgarh, camera in hand, to take photos to share with us in Safaritalk.

Tom K.

I wish the same..@@Tom kelly ...

• 2 weeks later...

@@madaboutcheetah these tiger images are just outstanding, my heart is in my throat! If I had any doubts about going to India I think you just clinched it for me.

May I ask you what lenses you were using? And what lens length you might recommend? How close were these beauties?

SafariChick

I hear the sightings have gotten good again - saw some facebook updates from Tala this week.

Just re-reading and looking at your wonderful tiger photos again @@madaboutcheetah - Where you do you see the Facebook updates, is it on the park's own page or just photos of friends or photogs you follow?

madaboutcheetah

Thanks so much @@janzin and @safarichick

Janzin - These were with a 500mm F4 lens. Most of the Tigers were fairly close by ..... IMHO, except for a few shots ...... I was forced into portraits because I was too close. Def recommend a 70-200; and one of 200-400 or 300mm or 100-400 (if you shoot canon).

Safarichick - A guide friend of mine from Bandhavgarh has his own facebook page; also other photographers like Sudhir Shivaram. I think I mentioned on another thread that friends/family from here are in Bandhavgarh at the moment for an entire week....... Have had random phone calls and text messages from them.

Thanks for the lens info Hari. Nikon shooter here...I'll probably be using the 70-200 and 200-400; the 500 is better for birds but I obviously can't bring both and I think probably the 200-400 would be better for all-around shooting, as it is in Africa. Now I just have to figure out how to sneak these into the 8 Kg Air India carry-on limit (any suggestions?) But I'm not going to stress on that--yet!

madaboutcheetah

Hi again - no worries ....... Yes, 200-400 is a good lens. The thing about Tigers, you can't really see through the foliage when they are inside the forest (even if you do - it's not a great view) so most of your images are going to be when they pop out - either onto the road or a waterhole or a grassy open plain (kanha etc) hence I say, 500 isn't the most ideal.

You can have a TC on hand for just in case - birding etc etc.,

Air India domestic flights? - I think you can sneak in ...... Domestic flights if they hassle you, just say your lens are very expensive and they will let you board. No questions asked.......

Edited by madaboutcheetah

Thanks Hari, yes I'm thinking about the domestic flights. I always stress about the overweight camera bags ;) but so far have not had problems in Africa or South America. Clearly they don't want to be responsible for expensive equipment. But I worry anyway!

madaboutcheetah

Not to worry, you will be fine.

michael-ibk

@@janzin

Our hand-luggage was never weighed on domestic flights, and I had about 10 kg in it, maybe more.

madaboutcheetah

Update from Bandhavgarh - friends had Tigers playing and play fighting at the water hole (3 cubs) for over an hour yesterday .......... not sure which zone - they were on the all day safari where there are no access restrictions. I even got a phone call to book a flight for today and jump on board ........ Unfortunately, my hands are tied at work - plus the last minute ticket prices especially the Mumbai-Jabalpur sector were so sky high that I told them that for the fare I could fly back to Nairobi on J class TONIGHT.

The third pic is outstanding. :)

Right on!

Ditto!