Fire, Wind, Dust and Wonder.

Whyone?

Oh please dont rub it in..Im looking at Zimbabwe or Kenya for 2015..

Im just worried that once Ive been it could become an expensive addiction..

That is a very real risk @@RichB - but one well worth taking.

Which way are you leaning at the moment - Zim or Kenya?

How exciting to see the images as they go by. I assume you were unaware at the time.

And there is definitely something at the back there too.

Will wait to hear your thoughts on it

Good morning @@wilddog...Lynda.

We had no idea they were walking through, we tend to be in bed by 9:30pm, and well away by 11. There were a couple of occasions when we heard lion calling just a very short distance (~50 yards or so) behind the camp.

If I am correct about the lurker, it is someone you know very well.

Love the camera clip; I always imagine lions, etc outside my tent, but now I know it really happens. I can see sleeping out under the stars as your friend prefers; but sleep would never come for me. What if an ellie came by and dropped his trunk right by his face. :o Or Boswell on hind legs!

I know they do it; when we were at Rhino camp they stole soap out of the bathrooms. I need cover! Those trunks are much larger close up than one can imagine.

Cant wait to hear about the fourth visitor!

@@RichB, if you follow @@Whyone? 's reports, you can get there without spending a small fortune. Just go!

Hello Whyone,

Very recognizable, after a couple of beers Charlie took our 18 dollar steak from the braai......................

@Whyone

It must be amazing sleeping like that up there… though I won't find out what it's like.

Some familiar lions… a familiar kudu, even. Fantastic photos.

Great collection of antelope photos at the top of this page. Gotta love kudu.

@@Whyone? What model is your trail cam? It appears to be a Moultrie from the watermark. I apologize if you already said that and I missed it. :)

Hi all.

@@graceland - my friend who sleeps on the roof has been 'investigated' be ele's on more than one occasion. They are just curious and he seems to be quite happy to be woken up this way.

@silvia000 - I am quite sure Charlie knows that after a beer or two we become less observant!

@@Safaridude - many thanks for you kind comments - having admired your wonderful work, it means a lot. I am seriously impressed that you can identify individual Kudu...lions and ele's is the extent of my powers of recognition.

@@Marks - it is a Moutrie as you rightly say. I must say I am not that impressed with the camera's ability to withstand the rigours of the African bush though. I took one last year, and part way through the week one do the two infra-red led arrays failed. I received a replacement under warranty, but the sound recording failed on this one.

I'll switch to another make for next year.

@Whyone

Not that impressive that I identified the kudu… the fellow with the wide spreading horns in your post #41 is the one on the right in the photo below. The same exact stripe pattern… not to mention the wide horns.

gallery_6003_1128_406578.jpg

@Whyone

Not that impressive that I identified the kudu the fellow with the wide spreading horns in your post #41 is the one on the right in the photo below. The same exact stripe pattern

Nope, you're wrong @@Safaridude

I am still very impressed!

Edited by Whyone?

As mentioned earlier, I was interested to see what looks like a fourth lion lurking in the background of this video clip taken by the trail camera in our camp one evening.

I am reasonably sure that the 3 lions who feature prominently in the clip are the ones we saw on our first full day. I am certain that there wasn't a 4th lion with them at that time as they were sat in the open and we walked all the way around them.

One morning whilst our walking in the area downstream of Mucheni 4 we came across another familiar lion - one known to may here I know. She is very distinctive having a black mark around her left eye.

Here she is in 2011...

15871954528_2aec4037ce_o.jpgIMG_2291 by Whyone, on Flickr

..and 2013

16058701112_787c827661_o.jpg2R4C3218 by Whyone, on Flickr

Unfortunately, this year she cut a solitary and folorn figure, having been excluded from her pride. We deliberately kept our distance as she didn't seem comfortable with us being there:

15798598098_d6dcb3612a_o.jpg2R4C0487 by Whyone, on Flickr

I imagine it is extremely difficult for a lion to survive alone - presumably scavenging for food would be her only reliable source of food? As we had seen all 4 lions in the Mucheni area (albeit either side of Mucheni 1 and 4 respectively) I wonder if she was tagging along with the other 3 females and it is her who appears in the background of the video clip?

I do fear that this may be the last year which we see her.

@Whyone

You are not going to believe this… but I found a match for your first kudu as well (post #41). Sorry for hijacking your TR… Now, this is getting impressive!

gallery_6003_1128_211471.jpg

As mentioned earlier, I was interested to see what looks like a fourth lion lurking in the background of this video clip taken by the trail camera in our camp one evening.

I was actually wondering whether it was a hyena. Just the way it moved at one stage, sort of loping along.

@Whyone

You are not going to believe this… but I found a match for your first kudu as well (post #41). Sorry for hijacking your TR… Now, this is getting impressive!

Yep, that's quite impressive @Safaridude :)

I must say, you have now got me looking at Kudu in a whole new way - I am going to be trying to match stripe patters next year.

Absolutely no problem posting this stuff in the trip report - it fascinates me and I am sure others.

You could well be right @@Geoff, we certainly had hyena visiting the camp most nights.

I guess part of me just hopes that 'black eye' manages to hook up with some other lions again to increase her chances of survival.

Here is another recent picture of her on her own....

16037489526_22ef7eb52e_o.jpg2R4C0490 by Whyone, on Flickr

Poor Black eye, she was very much in the pride last year. I heard that there were considerable changes in the pride dynamics recently but no details. She may well have been affected by that. Time will tell..................

I know @@wilddog, very sad to see. On the plus side, whilst looking a little older, she still looks in pretty good shape physically, so if she can find here wy back into a pride there is cause for optimism I think?

Does anyone know how an adult lion is likely to fare fending for themselves?

As mentioned previously, ele's were not as prolific as is usual at this time of the year, but I interpret this as good news - food and water being more plentiful than is the norm, so they have been able to remain relatively dispersed - less pressure on them finding food and water, less pressure on the delicate floodplain environment which has to be a good thing. Of course we all love ele's, but they don't half give the trees a hard time.

Despite this, you never had to look to far to find a lone bull, or a family group.

Sometimes not too far at all....

Early morning visitor:

16072338682_fe8cca4678_o.jpg_MG_9716 by Whyone, on Flickr

Lone Bull behind Mucheni 3:

15453267203_38d83ee5df_o.jpg2R4C0642 by Whyone, on Flickr

15799955939_4f337237bb_o.jpg2R4C0637 by Whyone, on Flickr

Really not a bad place to be an ele:

15798980030_1fbcf39ee6_o.jpg2R4C0553 by Whyone, on Flickr

15800244299_a51c353e07_o.jpg2R4C0551 by Whyone, on Flickr

15960488016_63ec792f32_o.jpg2R4C0556 by Whyone, on Flickr

Profile:

15887338157_64fe18a65f_o.jpg2R4C0542 by Whyone, on Flickr

No ele's, just the sun setting:

15800275607_8f5e6ba303_o.jpg2R4C0100 by Whyone, on Flickr

Edited by Whyone?

I did love having elies in camp with me. Never had to venture far! And they are quite flexible! Does anyone know how the long reach, rear leg stand started?

No buffalo sleeping outside your tent I see. I have told that story to so many people - they had a difficult time envisioning it....guess ya just had to be there!

Always enjoy your pics and report with the fellas :)

.......after a couple of beers Charlie took our 18 dollar steak from the braai......................

Hell....that is serious!

Charlie drank your beer?!!!?!!!!?!!!

:blink:

Edited by Whyone?

Hi @@graceland

It is one of the joys of Mana to always have animals in and around the camp. I joke about Charlie and his mates, but I wouldn't have the place without them. There is always something to watch just sitting about the camp. Indeed, it is not at all unusual for one or two to stay in camp whilst others go off for a walk and as often as not, the folks in camp see just as much by letting the game come to them. This is something it took me a long time to learn. In the early days of visiting Mana I wanted to be out and about, charging here and there every daylight hour (much to the annoyance of my friends I am sure!) In recent years I have learnt the value of just sitting quietly and watching. Having said that, the next section of this trip report involves a lot of chasing about!!!

No camp buffalo this year. I think that was probably a one off (albeit, every night for a week) - one to share with the grandchildern!

Edited by Whyone?

Can't wait - you always have a superb time! :D