Wilddog & Blue Bird's Kenyan Adventure - Good times at Laikipia & Blue Bird Climbs a Mountain

wilddog

Thanks @TonyQ; we were pleased too. :) Nothing is ever certain.

and thanks @@ice for the correction. I really liked Mugambo.

Yes. He joined us for a couple of drives.

@@wilddog I like the Grevy's Zebra and Suni sightings. The zebras look so beautiful huddled together, with their lines, and a Suni is a most uncommon sighting, although it seems motto have posed nicely for you. Were you not excited by that or have you been somewhere they are common?

Great start with the dogs. Hopefully more sightings of them to come.

Oh dear @@pault............................... It is a Steenbok not a Suni. :o My apologies. Put it down to my old age/stupidity.

I have seen Suni but I think that was in Mozambique

Haha @@wilddog... What a disappointment, Steenbok are nice too though!

As you have probably noticed, I've done worse! It's the thrill of the report writing.

Peter Connan

@@wilddog, thanks I am enjoying this TR.

What is the black and white bird under the Roller in post #23?

Thursday's Child

An excellent start, really looking forward to reading the rest of your report.

@@Peter Connan

It is a White Bellied Go Away Bird (Corythaixoidss leucogaster- according to my bird book)

Peter Connan

Thank you @@wilddog

madaboutcheetah

@@wilddog - just catching up with your report ........... You had a fabulous trip!!! Fond memories of my stay at LWC last October ........ appears that the area has dried out nicely and you had amazing sightings. I wonder if this is the same dog pack that was denning on their ranch in October?

Nice to see Barend - he is a fabulous guide!

• 2 weeks later...

Really enjoying your report @wilddog and look forward to more.

Lovely grouping of Grevys in post 23 - and great wild dog sighting.

I'm wondering as to the raptor under the jackal in that post?

• 2 weeks later...

After Siesta time Steve suggested we head towards an area, not far from camp, where he had heard a lot of hyena and lion sounds during the morning. He thought there might have been a kill down there. When we got to the area we could clearly see lion tracks so got out of the vehicle and with Steve in the lead we set off into the bush.

We went through quite a narrow, gully with thick bush on either side, which at one point made me slightly nervous (and I do not normally get nervous in these situations) but presumably the lion remained a head of us as we moved through. We did not find the lion but when we rejoined the vehicle at the end of the gully further down the road the vehicle we could see in the bush beyond the road not too far behind the vehicle we could see a few buffalo watching us. Probably time to leave.

We then set off to find a sundowner spot high up on of the hills. One of the things I particularly enjoyed about Laikipia was the spectacular views at numerous sun-downer spots and the different sites where we had lunch and dinner.

On the way we had a few daylight sightings, including a large cobra crossing the road and the Reticulated Giraffe.

gallery_6103_1174_1220602.jpg

gallery_6103_1174_2036316.jpg

gallery_6103_1174_5558251.jpg

During the night drive returning to camp we saw an aardwolf and an African cat; No pictures tho'.

The following morning we set off early in the hope finding the dogs again.

However it was not dogs we found but more lions. Two males with at least two females. They were really trying to avoid us but we managed to get a few images but the females were particularly difficult to see.

Then as we watched from the roof of the cruiser we could see beyond the bush the pale female walking quickly away with three cubs. The first sighting of these cubs apparently. We left them in peace.

gallery_6103_1174_1453539.jpg

gallery_6103_1174_15473194.jpg

gallery_6103_1174_21311993.jpg

We had a gentle drive back seeing several animals en route.................

gallery_6103_1174_2725173.jpg

gallery_6103_1174_4525086.jpg

gallery_6103_1174_1228121.jpg

gallery_6103_1174_12209073.jpg

gallery_6103_1174_4435390.jpg

gallery_6103_1174_6216097.jpg

gallery_6103_1174_2909650.jpg

............including some very fine cattle which are (along with goats) allowed to graze in the area.

gallery_6103_1174_261890.jpg

gallery_6103_1174_8580159.jpg

When we returned to camp we were able to check out the young Bateleur who was now ensconced in his designer home.

He looked relaxed.

gallery_6103_1174_5319465.jpg

Nice to have you back! Those are fine cattle - are they Boran?

You sneaked in mention of an Aardwolf - very casual.

armchair bushman

I want that white and brown bull (cow). What a beautiful animal.

I can't wait to be there in October,when I will be spending 4days there. I particularly love the photos of the wild dogs and the leopards.

I want that white and brown bull (cow). What a beautiful animal.

We will be fighting over that one @@armchair bushman, I want it as well

but I guess you are closer :(

armchair bushman

I don't know what it is about those hump-backed, fat headed cattle that I love so much. Their droopy eyes maybe? That huge flat forehead? Just the smooth texture of their coat? I don't know.

Whatever the case, I'm not interested in owning any old cow. I want THAT exact type.

A normal Maasai cow sold in a rural area will go for between Kshs 15,000/- to Ksh 40,000/- depending on size/age, sex, health, etc.

One of THOSE beautiful animals will sometimes go for upto Kshs 400,000/- (Approx. $4,500). That might be another reason I want one. And the calves are SUPER cute.

@@Caracal Missed your earlier question sorry. The bird you mention is I believe an Augur Buzzard. A bit immature I think.

@@pault I think they were Boran Cattle. He was an impressive chap

For lunch Barend took us down to the river for a picnic. A lovely spot and very peaceful apart from being interrupted to some extent by two large herds of goat which came down to drink. They were no problem, but I suppose I was simply surprised. Sometimes as you look across the valleys to the opposing hills you can see groups of goats making their way through the area.

gallery_6103_1174_3729806.jpg

gallery_6103_1174_3982243.jpg

gallery_6103_1174_2862777.jpg

Goats in the distance

gallery_6103_1174_7489425.jpg

When we got back to camp the new guests had arrived; a very pleasant couple from the UK. That afternoon we initially went for a walk by the river climbing up some kopjes up wind of a herd of elephant; it was a pleasure to sit and watch them while the enjoyed the river.

Enroute to the latest sundowner spot we met a rather feisty young bull elephant, with his family, who strutted his stuff, as they do, much to our enjoyment. I find it entertaining when they decide they need to back off and struggle to do so with dignity intact.

Further up the hill we located a Hyena Den with the mother lurking in the back ground so beat a retreat so that she was not overly upset.

Another bonus that evening was our second leopard. Please forgive the quality of the shot . More luck than judgement.............. and then it was gone.

gallery_6103_1174_694919.jpg

gallery_6103_1174_3067913.jpg

gallery_6103_1174_14868785.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D907SmHA6OE

gallery_6103_1174_1049710.jpg

Seem to be having a problem with inserting my video but the link to Youtube seems to work. Will resolve this later.

Edit: This is now sorted. :D

The following morning @@Blue Bird was keen to do another walk but I wanted a further chance to find the dogs/lions.

Barend took Blue Bird off for walk and I joined Steve, with our new friends, for a game a drive down towards, and into, the Jessell Ranch. Steve stopped off at the ranch to get permission to enter the area.

We had some interesting sightings including Geranuk and some young male giraffes praticing neck fighting These are located within an adjacent, fenced conservancy and we were just very lucky that they came to the periphery that morning. But of the dogs and lions there was no sign...............................

The Geranuk shot is blurred - apologies

gallery_6103_1174_6893393.jpg

gallery_6103_1174_11447848.jpg

gallery_6103_1174_391328.jpg

gallery_6103_1174_3909392.jpg

gallery_6103_1174_3993809.jpg

Lunch was taken at the big dam and where we must have watched well over a hundred elephants come and go. The herd interrelationships were interesting as when, for example, 3 family groups were at the waterside the other families would be waiting back in the bush until a drinking spot became available. Occasionally there was a bit of a fracas between groups and at one point a family made a rapid exit stage left.

The youngsters were playing in the water as the adults enjoyed their drink, whilst seemingly keeping an eye on the their family and the other groups around. Despite the fairly relaxing scene there was just a hint of tension in the air. A lovely place to stop for lunch

gallery_6103_1174_375040.jpg

gallery_6103_1174_2105899.jpg

gallery_6103_1174_6076766.jpg

The afternoon drive was comparatively uneventful but nevertheless enjoyable. We found another feisty young male elephant and a large herd of impala who were seemed to be running and jumping simply for the fun of it.

The other interesting sighting was a very dark necked giraffe and I just managed to capture a shot as he disappeared into the bush.

That evening we again saw an Aardwolf but sadly .................no pictures.

gallery_6103_1174_150704.jpg

gallery_6103_1174_757083.jpg

gallery_6103_1174_2000763.jpg

The almost black giraffe

gallery_6103_1174_5075271.jpg

The following morning we set off with Steve up into the hills only to find a huge drying puddle of blood in the middle if the track. Something had clearly happened here and quite recently. We got out of the vehicle and found the skull of a zebra, then we found it's spine and further down the hill the skin and not much else. We had missed something very exciting.

Once we had spent some time playing at being Forensic Scientists and analysing the scene we went on our way.

gallery_6103_1174_54028.jpg

gallery_6103_1174_67241.jpg

We found some dog tracks on the road and walked down to the river to see where they went. The tracks were fresh as there were still signs of moisture on the tracks so they had only recently crossed the river to the other side. Steve thought it was the small, uncollared pack of 7 so we tried to track them for a while with no luck.

We climbed up the hill and sat near the top watching the Martial Eagle nest and after a while we were rewarded with the sight of one chick moving around in the nest.

Climbing to the top of the hill, we were collected by Mugambi to go for lunch.

The nest in the tree and in the far distance.............goats!

gallery_6103_1174_1221800.jpg

We joined the others at the head of the waterfall where there is a large header pool in which you can swim safely. Slithering down the large rocks to get into the pool was a little tricky but once in it was very refreshing - well cold actually- but nevertheless enjoyable. Steve and Annabelle's children were there and they thoroughly enjoyed themselves in an inflatable canoe, meanwhile the most adventurous adults (i.e. Barend) launched themselves into the pool from the high rocks. Kikoi's were provided for those of us who had gone in fully clothed, allowing time for my shorts to dry off in the sun while we ate.

gallery_6103_1174_107109.jpg

gallery_6103_1174_368242.jpg

gallery_6103_1174_84735.jpg

gallery_6103_1174_5193386.jpg

Over lunch the plans for the afternoon and evening were made.

Blue Bird and I were very keen to go fly camping and after some discussion it was decided that we would camp, that night, in the open not far from the Zebra kill.

The other guests declined the invitation.

This was going to be an adventure!

@@wilddog

Love the scene that is depicted in the lunch stop picture in post #47.

'Eating out' in Africa at its best!

meanwhile the most adventurous adults (i.e. Barend) launched themselves into the pool from the high rocks. Kikoi's were provided for those of us who had gone in fully clothed, allowing time for my shorts to dry off in the sun while we ate.

gallery_6103_1174_5193386.jpg

so I did I - and broke two of my ribs...