Kitsafari

That was indeed a great afternoon with the cubs, along with James and @@SafariChick.

One ran up on a hill hoping others would chase her, but they were all busy with Mom and the others in the flat grass....

After the playing and suckling, doing what exhausted cubs do...

post-5364-0-73017300-1426419486_thumb.jpg

and finally they all walked to the small hill near the lone cub who had enticed just one to join; as shown in @@SafariChicks photo, but others did not quite make it to the top. I thought they looked like logs lying at the foot!

post-5364-0-70934600-1426419572_thumb.jpg

And as we left I was able to catch an LBR, a bit quickly --so fuzzy but love the colors.

post-5364-0-37293200-1426419626_thumb.jpg

And this one wondering what we are up to as we zip by; seemed put off by our presence!

post-5364-0-07245900-1426420635_thumb.jpg

Great playful vids above; I have some but I think it is yet another day!

We were on Lion overload in the Mara for sure. Lots of cubs, lion and cheetah, playfully endearing.

Edited by graceland

SafariChick

The next day, we were happy to see that @@Kitsafari was feeling better and up to the trip from Serian Main to Nkorombo, which is inside the Mara Reserve. We had a packed lunch so we could take as long as we wanted to travel to the second camp, even though the actual drive was only a couple of hours. We said a sad farewell to everyone at Serian Main, including Wifi and Sidie - though we were happy to know that Emily, who we'd met at Serian Main, would be at Nkorombo to greet as and be the manager during our stay. Her 'other half' Frasier was staying behind at Serian Main, but one of the two visiting guides from Namibia would be at Nkorombo also. (The story with them was that they had two vehicles being modified in Tanzania. It would take about 6 weeks. Rather than travel back to Namibia and then back again 6 weeks later, they knew Alex Walker who suggested they 'volunteer' at Serian while they waited for their vehicles. They were both very nice, knowledgable and fun to be with, and made a nice addition to the camp. The one who would be at Nkorombo with us was named Tarry). We took a number of photos of us with the folks from Serian Main, but I cannot find any - I know Kit and @@graceland have some though and will post!

As we were leaving, we passed a couple of waterbuck. I was happy to see them so close up and relaxed as that has not often been the case for me.

16622676747_32806802bc_c.jpg

16642426538_f5b40d5c49_c.jpg

It was then that we came upon the sighting Kit posted a photo of earlier - "one of these things is not like the others"

16622678327_9a0644fb4c_c.jpg

It was a jackal trying to fend off a whole bunch of vultures (about 50 we guessed) at a topi carcass and doing a halfway decent job, I might add!

We meandered our way along and came to the well-known "Fig Tree Ridge" area:

16210053913_e547f77937_c.jpg

and then we arrived at the Musiara Gate through which we would enter the Reserve:

16622679587_5cce9eb539_c.jpg

In this one you can see James, center, in his Maasai garb and ballcap (love the contrast) talking to someone, and @@graceland walking towards them, possibly to check out the merchandise being sold by the few vendors there:

16642612920_c8bcc9df20_c.jpg

While James arranged our fees, we browsed the offerings from the vendors. One lady was nice and low-key and I bought a bracelet from her that was the same as one Graceland had already from a prior trip. The male vendor was very pushy. He claimed to be a teacher and said the sales would help the children he teaches and claimed to have made some of the products with his students, but none of that seemed true. We didn't buy anything from him. Soon, we were on our way, excited to actually be in the famous Mara Reserve.

Edited by SafariChick

SafariChick

One thing is for sure, there was never a shortage of animals to see in the Mara, and often several species together.

16643872279_9a6003f6e2_c.jpg

I loved this sighting of a zebra youngster that was almost as big as it's Mom, nursing:

16207645734_40af06d165_c.jpg

and, nearby, a much smaller youngster with it's Mom

16210057193_d23cd2497d_c.jpg

Many topi were visible. I love their colors and markings

16804126526_ab637e3ce5_c.jpg

Others we passed as we made our way through the reserve:

16642433118_a54d7225b9_c.jpg

16829991655_8b336039d9_c.jpg

Edited by SafariChick

After having seen me so weak the day before, Serian's Rosh was concerned for me and had wanted to send me directly to the camp while the two other ladies meandered through with an extended game drive. But I didn't want to miss more than what I had the day before, so I was game to join them, provided we had a couple of stops for me to "check the tyres", in a manner of speaking!

all 3 of us indulged in a bit of retail therapy at the Musiara Gate, which was incredibly quiet. we were the only vehicle going in , and another was leaving the reserve.

@@SafariChick caught the essence of our first look of the reserve - all the plains game were on duty. and i love the topis too, especially the Topi on the Mound. There were a lot of them on the mounds and soon we saw that the wildebeests had emulated the topis, so there were also Wilde on the Mound, though not quite with the proud and tall bearing that the topis displayed.

In the background of @@SafariChick's Topi picture and the wilde picture below, you will see a ridge. that's the Oloololo escarpment. I love that name and repeated many times to myself. Oloololo escarpment marks the western boundary of the reserve and this was where Out of Africa was filmed. Oloololo means zigzag and often refers to roads and trails. in fact there is a song by America:

I'm going Oloololo
Back to the world where I'm from
Soon I'll be flying solo
On a heading that follows the sun

untitled-1-83.jpg

Edited by Kitsafari

Saying goodbye to the terrific folks at Serian Main Camp - The Ladies had a fabulous three nights here....Thanks All!

post-5364-0-97671400-1426507680_thumb.jpg

The lovely Masia lady selling her wares at the Gate to the Reserve

post-5364-0-27200400-1426507747_thumb.jpg

The trip through the Mara to Nkorombo was definitely chock full and having been years ago, i felt I saw more game, especially predators on this safari in the Mara. We had gone in September for the migration-- full of wildebeasts and zebras covering the plains.

We still saw plenty in February and much less vehicle traffic. A few exceptions around a "lion, leopard, cheetah" sighting, but way less than on the September safari - at Serian as well...Main, and Nkorombo.

This safari is a thrill for me to repeat with the two Ladies; seeing it again through their eyes as they experience Kenya's Massia Mara. I came along for the ride, yet pleasantly surprised at the thrills we have had, and those to come.

With the escarpment in the background and a very small termite mound,

post-5364-0-20821600-1426507867_thumb.jpg

As we drive into the Reserve, many different species, as @@SafariChick says... one I was able to capture for the colors,

post-5364-0-94118900-1426507960_thumb.jpg

And a full lion - is that blood on his face and chest?

Where will he lead us?

post-5364-0-97109500-1426508070_thumb.jpg

SafariChick

As @@graceland hinted above, we came upon a young lion resting under a tree. It turned out he started walking and lead us over the rest of his pride. It was the Marsh Pride with a buffalo kill from that morning. They were right out in the open and it was getting quite hot. They must have killed it on that spot and it was too heavy to drag into the shade. You could tell that they were all really feeling the heat, but they were eating as much as they could at the same time. There were two Moms, a sub-adult 4-year-old male, a 1-year-old male, and about 4 or 5 cubs that were about 7-8 months all clambering around and claiming parts of the carcass. Very graphic photos, hope you all don't mind - we were lucky to have such a good, unobstructed view but we did feel sorry for the lions suffering in the heat.

16837373475_0cdd41090a_c.jpg

16836253752_9aac420034_c.jpg

16837384845_3d22b4aa8a_c.jpg

"King of the Hill"

16649833348_a50ba78070_c.jpg

On second thought, I'm tired, I gotta lie down:

16811515676_f6edb3cfb6_c.jpg

Is there a safari vehicle I can come lie under for some shade?

16630105497_394d2b69d1_c.jpg

When James saw him walking over to us, he reacted quickly - sorry little one, but if you get under our vehicle we could be trapped here all day! So we headed off to see what else the reserve had to offer! What a great sighting for our first morning in the Mara! You can see from this brief video how hot they all were:

Edited by SafariChick

@@SafariChick, you really did capture that perfectly. It truly was the beginning of a "cat and catch can" Mara few days!

James was quick on the draw with that "reverse gear"- I did not want to linger in that heat as well. :blink:

perfect sequence and pictures from @@SafariChick. we really felt for the lions out in the hot hot sun. The Marsh pride has a very interesting and tumultous history. according to the Marsh Lions, the book brilliantly written by Brian Jackman in collaboration with Jonathan and Angela Scott (stars of BBC's Big Cat Diaries), the current pride of lions were not direct descendants of the pride that ruled in the 1970s when they first saw them. The pride has gone through many changes with male lions changing nearly every 2-4 years and the original lionesses being pushed out to become the Miti Mbili pride. the history and changes were frequent and fascinating. often the ousting of a male lion signals the end of the male lion but the return of 3 male lions (Scar, Mkubwa and Old Man, which were ousted at various times, to the Marsh pride shows it is always possible for male lions to re-form a coalition and return again.

the current Marsh pride totalled 44 lions last year which was too huge to sustain so the group split up into a few sections of 10s and 20s and dispersed around the huge Marsh area.

just supplementing @@SafariChick's set of photos of the young Marsh pride, here are a couple more:

untitled-1-76.jpg

A full bellied female resting at the waterhole

untitled-1-74.jpg

a bloodied youngster taking a break

untitled-1-82.jpg

untitled-1-71.jpg

See the two heads - the juvenile male lion eating with a young lion cub

Adding to @Kistsafari's photo essay on Safarichick's report

one of my favs.......

I'm hot,tired, full, and over it!

(I need a shower NOW.)

Ecstasy and Agnst in one photo .....

post-5364-0-00638600-1426556901_thumb.jpg

Really liked the tortoise closeup, the hyena den, and Wifi and Sadi. :) Oh, and that monstrously-proportioned eland!

Shame about getting sick on safari, I know that is a terrible time to not feel 100%.

I'm continuing to enjoy the excellent photos and stories here.

@@graceland wow, that bloody lion cub close-up is intense!

x2

Great pictures from all of you!

]Thanks @@TonyQ, With three "amateur" photogs, we managed to get some decent memories to bring home,

and share of course :D

Continuing with the drive to Nkoromobo after observing the above lions sharing the buffalo....and a few other "serious" photogs out as well

post-5364-0-60927000-1426608343_thumb.jpg

It was mid afternoon and very hot as we winded our way through the Reserve.

Though I do not think Nkoromobo was so far away, we were "game driving" it; and giving Emily and Tarry a chance to get the camp up and running before we arrived.

I enjoyed seeing the Mara again; it seemed so different almost unreognizable from my first time in a September which was so wildebeast intense and with so many more vehicles.

The sun was instense, and James found us a lovely shaded spot to stop and have a cold drink and lunch.

post-5364-0-47379600-1426608656_thumb.jpg

As we continue our ride to Nkorombo, we saw way more buffalo than I remember; i think the most I've see was in Zimbabwe, Hwange park at any one time...

Through our guides lens (well....window!)

we watch..

post-5364-0-48832300-1426608738_thumb.jpg

and come upon some scattered about checking on us

post-5364-0-47121000-1426608797_thumb.jpg

having a bit of a mud bath

post-5364-0-28518800-1426608830_thumb.jpg

finding ever present giraffe, always brings a smile....esp. with the background

post-5364-0-96355400-1426608887_thumb.jpg

We are just absorbing the enormity of the plains and of course I was always asking James to please stop for my tree shots!

I just read this morning how layers could be added with photoshop - this was an instance where I wish I had something like that.....as the very pic they were discussing had NO blue sky showing - as mine (very very sunny conditions) and they were able to put in the blue sky..OH how I wish.

But you are just getting what I saw and I loved it as well. Just think of a blue sky..and maybe by magic it will appear (hint to anyone with that ability!)

post-5364-0-51015100-1426609008_thumb.jpg

There were also small herds of elies about,

with babies of course. Loved February - baby month!

post-5364-0-95604300-1426609226_thumb.jpg

Mum not too far away....

post-5364-0-80058800-1426609417_thumb.jpg

Almost to our second Serian camp on the water in the reserve, and pass a cheetah, a very skinny, hungry looking cheetah... Lighting is really bad as it is so bright... but still we watched..hot and hungry - what chance?

post-5364-0-36709800-1426609706_thumb.jpg

Intent on hunting and stalking, but we did not see much for him to eat. All of us felt bad, and thought about the lunch we had not finished...if only we could share.

post-5364-0-58263900-1426609773_thumb.jpg

Stopping and looking; not much in sight..

post-5364-0-94763800-1426609822_thumb.jpg

It was time for us to move on; we all hoped he'd be successful and we'd return tomorrow to her and a kill..

Saying goodbye as he peeks through the long grass

post-5364-0-25594900-1426609882_thumb.jpg

We pull into camp, we had arrived and it was lovely and shady, cool and inviting..

We talked about that poor cheetah all night.

P.S. I did not take as many photos as the Ladies as I planned on being In The Moment most of the time, so I am sure they have more to contribute - esp. with the cheetah and Nkorombo camp.

So, no video - caffeinated this time!

I'm sure @@Kitsafari and @@SafariChick have their observations as well. And videos!

Edited by graceland

Somehow missed the snake & bush baby episode. :wacko:

@@SafariChick - wow! You were a brave chick for sure leaving the tent with a snake wrapped around that tree. But then a girls gotta do what a girls gotta do! :lol:

@@Kitsafari - Very freaky & exciting at the same time being woken up by something trying to unzip your tent!!!!

Somehow missed the snake & bush baby episode. :wacko:

@@SafariChick - wow! You were a brave chick for sure leaving the tent with a snake wrapped around that tree. But then a girls gotta do what a girls gotta do! :lol:

@@Kitsafari - Very freaky & exciting at the same time being woken up by something trying to unzip your tent!!!!

Haha, she's a seasoned warrior after Zambia, SafariChick is :D

Girlsnstilettos

@@graceland, the baby ele is so cute! I'm so happy to be going during Feb next years and see baby eles too, my all time favorite species :D Awwww, I would have felt bad for the skinny cheetah too hoping it would catch something soon! Nature is so beautiful and incredible, but it can be harsh and brutal at the same time. As for snakes, I don't mind them at all.....as long as they aren't poisonous! Then I'd be freaked if it were too close :o

@@Girlsnstilettos

You will be in good hands and estacic very day! I am so happy for your upcoming Kenya safari! You cannot go wrong! :)

You've worked so diligently on this itinerary; I can't wait to see what you come up with next!

And, I know you....you will! :D

Edited by graceland

Hard to believe but we are woken by Emlys' happy voice and another that we thoug to be Jarrys...."Wake up . we;ve somthing special, be sure to read the card"...In a sleep induced no caffeine state I see a vase filled of the beauty of the bush; wild flowers, grasses-- Osthrich feathers?: and special cards from our husbanbs.What a sweet surprise. It is February 14......sweehearts day.

Actually the Mara is a truly sweet surprise, I wlll add a few pics I have of the mornng, and hope @@SafariChick and @ kistsafri chime in with theirs, as I am sure they are spot on.

We find this lion in the mara, seemingly minding his biz. Just having a sip of water.\\

post-5364-0-37418600-1426642949_thumb.jpg

Lies down to survey his kingdom

post-5364-0-85832500-1426643038_thumb.jpg

Chooses a partner

A bit of a chat....

post-5364-0-24224800-1426643076_thumb.jpg

post-5364-0-46553100-1426643125_thumb.jpg

This was the beginning of a MOST EPCIC,day; I believe@safricichic and @@Kitsafari captured it much better than I as I was not sitting in the most oppotune spot, front seat - ewith the front frams of the jeep windows, and the window framesin the side, it as an exercise in frustration, but having the Ladies along, I knew they couldhandle the job. I choose those seats as easier on the back. Better be safe than take an award winning photo, LOL

Trilling to watch, ounces of sadness, but realzing this truy is the circle of life of Africa. I have yet to even post on FB as it wrenches my heart every time.

While waiting their thoughts here is one of my fav cheeah shots - just chasing,all all kids must do!!

post-5364-0-81202400-1426644714_thumb.jpg

Edited by graceland

Interesting first sighting for Valentines Day!

:ph34r:

I am waiting for epic day... sorry, MOST EPIC day! I guess by the lull in activity that @@Kitsafari and @@SafariChick are working hard at it.

SafariChick

I'm here, I'm just having dinner and I'm going to jump back in, but I need to jump back to the day before first so I can catch up!

SafariChick

So just to supplement @@graceland's reporting on the afternoon we wended our way to Nkorombo, I have some photos I'll add:

16839539981_6c29f059a4_c.jpg

16220663793_f20738126c_c.jpg

16218262794_057cfa2c93_c.jpg

16218263504_fd6e10e406_c.jpg

16633297647_42ef9263d8_c.jpg

16814736516_f0b7684dbf_c.jpg

16653244080_fb561214e6_c.jpg

"Would you mind giving me some privacy while I'm in my mud bath?"

16633300657_8a5202a4f7_c.jpg

Bath time is more fun with friends:

16654483719_68c318ed15_c.jpg

16654484759_4f2061a7c1_c.jpg

The plains:

16839549241_1c52fd447a_c.jpg

Long-distance version of the single tree

16839551451_94c113d383_c.jpg

And here are a few of the poor thin male cheetah - we hung around him for a while, trying to follow not too closely, as he looked around for food, but there really wasn't much of anything around where he was.

16839553951_503922e8e0_c.jpg

16653252570_364232b3c8_c.jpg

We then arrived at Nkorombo, which was really lovely. Right on the river, and we were the only guests so we had it all to ourselves. It was fun getting to know Emily and Tarry in a more intimate setting, and great to still have James with us for the next few days. And though the food was quite good at Serian Main, it was really yummy here as well. I shall let @@Kitsafari take the reins now :-)