My BBC moments: following Mara predators... and not only :)

bettel

Thank you!!!

Camp

I believe a lot of safaritalkers know this already, but for those who doesn't here is a little bit information about the camp.

Serian has 6 tents. All tents are pretty far from each other so you don't see or hear your neighbors. Tents are set up on wooden platforms. Bathroom is a separate hut on the same platform (2 meters between tent and bathroom entrances). I think they are changing this. And there is already one tent with bathroom attached to the tent.

Massai are walking around the camp all night so if you are bored you are in trouble you can call them using flash light or a whistle.

There is running water as well as a boiler so you can take a shower or a bath any time (well, I did not check it at 2 am :) )

Each group of guest gets a private vehicle so schedule is totally controlled by guests. You can go on safari any time you want, you can have breakfast/lunch/dinner packed, you can do whatever you want.

Some photos. Tent:

camp-01_zpsy7ekwjdq.jpg

camp-02_zps6f0yeqwu.jpg

camp-03_zpsiagfhgfl.jpg

Survival kit: water, flashlight, whistle :)

camp-04_zpspuzr54p2.jpg

Tent again

camp-05_zpsaledaahz.jpg

Bathroom hut:

camp-06_zpsaxuwe6jd.jpg

camp-07_zpsxqiq6d7x.jpg

camp-08_zpszg8xo9iq.jpg

camp-09_zpsxrrulq5q.jpg

camp-10_zpsgsiu6iiz.jpg

camp-11_zpsc6xzkpap.jpg

Common areas:

camp-12_zps4puz3osw.jpg

camp-13_zpslwcwwyvn.jpg

Day 3 (cont)

Author’s warning: those, who don’t like small, soft, fluffy and cute, should skip this post :).

After lunch in the camp we got back to the vehicle and continued the drive. The goal for the afternoon was to find Offbeat pride with smaller cubs. But it was still too early for them. So we just enjoyed whatever we met on our way.

Zebra foal:

01_29_2015%20set2-01_zps4npxskqp.jpg

Some banded mongoose:

01_29_2015%20set2-02_zpsympexnqy.jpg

And then we went back to jackals. Judging by the size of their tummies, they also had a lunch and now they were in extremely playful mood. So, we have witnessed a Great Battle for the Feather!

Like many other great battles, this one began with the attempt of two to find out who had more rights for something that did not belong to any of them :)

01_29_2015%20set2-03_zpsjyaf8fve.jpg

Soon a peacekeeper arrived and decided to claim his share:

01_29_2015%20set2-06_zpsvqct3xek.jpg

01_29_2015%20set2-05_zps4aq6p9sl.jpg

The fourth one had a precious bone so he did not need a feather, but he changed his mind when he realized that everybody wanted it:

01_29_2015%20set2-08_zpsagihxzoo.jpg

01_29_2015%20set2-07_zpscndm9eqy.jpg

/ Fanfare / A winner was trying to understand what he should do with the prize:

01_29_2015%20set2-09_zpsdbl2aln9.jpg

Three losers immediately found a different subject to debate:

01_29_2015%20set2-10_zpspjpl3b04.jpg

And this is just a cute puppy:

01_29_2015%20set2-11_zpsgbzfsh7n.jpg

After jackals we spent some time with a family of elephants:

01_29_2015%20set2-12_zpsgc9ar1cx.jpg

And then it was time for Offbeat Pride. It was a group of 4 lionesses and 8 3-4 month old cubs. Some of them were fighting:

01_29_2015%20set2-13_zpscmw1t9ua.jpg

01_29_2015%20set2-14_zpsymhtxq4h.jpg

Some were enjoying the life:

01_29_2015%20set2-18_zpswvubp7su.jpg

And then cubs found a turtle under a bush. The turtle did not support cubs in their enthusiasm. It hid and was not going to talk. But the cubs were stubborn, in groups or individually they were trying to open it:

01_29_2015%20set2-15_zpsyeogm5j5.jpg

01_29_2015%20set2-17_zpsf8lwhsgt.jpg

01_29_2015%20set2-19_zpsysqrm9ui.jpg

01_29_2015%20set2-21_zpsklxnw7ho.jpg

01_29_2015%20set2-20_zpsmu2ei5xu.jpg

01_29_2015%20set2-16_zps2fnttcna.jpg

Moms quietly watched, moms were smart, they knew they could not get the turtle:

01_29_2015%20set2-23_zpsnqj5ktjp.jpg

And it is a bonus for my horse friends :). At dusk there was a group of horse safaris, and one of lionesses immediately began to stalk. Just the night before we talked about it and Adrian told that there were cases when a horse got killed. I was really hoping that it would not be the case. Eventually a lioness changed her mind:

01_29_2015%20set2-24_zpsobixmn9u.jpg

That's an utterly charming sequence of the jackals fighting over the feather. I can't believe so many got involved!

I love that shot of the lion on her back loving life. I don't know why but I find the horseback riding far more nerve wracking than any close encounter I've ever had in Africa. I've done it once and never again, that lion would be far to close for me.

Really good report @@bettel

Love the two close ups of the jackal pups with feather and the horses.... but the page is full of beautiful and fascinating photos. What a series of sightings - every one has something extra to it. What luck!

That whole last post was great - the jackals are too cute with their feather and I loved your descriptions of each photo!

@@Marks, @@dlo, @@pault, @@SafariChick

Thank you very much for continuing to read the report! All your posts are highly appreciated :)

I don't know why but I find the horseback riding far more nerve wracking than any close encounter I've ever had in Africa. I've done it once and never again, that lion would be far to close for me.

I would pee my pants, it it were me on a horse :)

Day 4. Morning.

This day we decided to spend in the main reserve because I was dying to see all the cheetahs, who I'm following through FB: Malaika, Imani, Amani, Nora.

At the park entrance we met Mara cheetah project vehicle so Jonathan exchanged phone numbers with them so that we could share cheetah information if any. Soon we received a radio message that a cheetah with four small cubs was found (and both cheetah project and we went there). Jonathan was thinking that it was Imani but when we arrived and found out that these cubs were smaller we realized (and cheetah project confirmed) that it was Nora.

I apologize for the quality of photos. I was an idiot, I forgot my teleconverter at home, so that's the maximum zoom, the maximum crop:

2_09_2015-01_zpsl06mljie.jpg

2_09_2015-02_zpslei4e5rv.jpg

2_09_2015-03_zpsklnawqon.jpg

After some rest, Nora stood up and began to slowly approach grazing Thompson gazelles. She tried her best, but kids did not understand the importance of the mission, so they continued to rush and jump. It was not surprising that hunting failed almost immediately. Nora took her family closer to bushes. It was great to see that Mara cheetah project (with a ranger on board) stayed with her as otherwise I am sure they would have been harassed by billions of cars around. When we left there were 15 there, and many more were coming.

Near Lookout area we found a single cheetah on a fresh kill:

2_09_2015-04_zpsvvlqfsh2.jpg

And then a group of four cheetahs also on a kill but they already ate a lot:

2_09_2015-05_zpsqcrnaik8.jpg

The guide version was that a single cheetah was Malaika and the group was her cubs and that she started to push them out. But when I got home and started to check photos I found out that one cheetah in the group did not have a mane (and seemed older), so I sent photos to the Cheetah project and Elena was very kind to identify a single cheetah as Hodari (three year old Amani's son) and a group of cheetahs as Malaika with three cubs.

But fewer words, more pictures. When we arrived, the family unsuccessfully tried to find shade near the carcass. But there was only one tiny bush and it would not fit even one cheetah. So the family was thinking to leave, except one cub who was trying to protect the kill from vultures:

2_09_2015-07_zpsxiclmmmf.jpg

2_09_2015-06_zpswbjvtxha.jpg

2_09_2015-11_zpsikp95kb4.jpg

2_09_2015-12_zpsz3allm6i.jpg

2_09_2015-10_zpsxhnydbj0.jpg

But in the end everybody started to move

2_09_2015-09_zpsfwqohufe.jpg

And just in 15 seconds the carcass was covered in vultures:

2_09_2015-13_zpszgxmoxib.jpg

The family went to the nearest tree. First they read all news:

2_09_2015-14_zpss5w3g6xz.jpg

Probably everything was fine and they settled down in the shade:

2_09_2015-20_zps1odvsro3.jpg

I apologize for so many pictures, but I really love cats grooming. It's so cute!

2_09_2015-15_zpslnaubjpg.jpg

2_09_2015-17_zpsii488ig6.jpg

2_09_2015-18_zpsmli3rzae.jpg

2_09_2015-16_zpsszgwi8fw.jpg

2_09_2015-19_zpskkewh5cq.jpg

2_09_2015-23_zpsuq6eyect.jpg

2_09_2015-21_zpsy3pzdcka.jpg

2_09_2015-22_zpszyctta5q.jpg

After spending a couple of hours with them, we went to have lunch. Probably because it was a different area and because these cubs were much older than Nora's cubs there were only one-two other cars there :)

The shot of the cheetah scattering the vultures is brilliant - so dynamic!

@@bettel

For maximum zoom and maximum crop your photos are maximum good!

Is there any such thing as too many too good photos?! No there is not!

Incredible crossing photos, you really had luck on your side for that! And the cheetah series is spectacular. Especially the one of the cheetah scattering the vultures. WOW. Just wow.

@@bettel you have a wonderful eye. These photos are so dynamic. Love the vultures, the crossing, the jackals, cubs, the turtle - so great!

Maybe you said this in another thread, but could you tell us what kind of cameras you used please?

@@Marks, @@xelas, @@Game Warden, @@amybatt, @@fictionauthor

Thank you very much for your continuous support!!!

Maybe you said this in another thread, but could you tell us what kind of cameras you used please?

I have D7000 and Nikkor 70-200 f2.8

Day 4 (cont)

After lunch, we decided to slowly move towards Marsh area and to check crossing points on our way.

02_09_2015%20set2-01_zpskuettdzr.jpg

When we came to one of crossing points we were surprised, because the whole herd of wildebeests was running towards us, but they were supposed to cross from us. It turned out that a leopard made couple unsuccessful attempts and scared the herd. Some zebras were gathering at a crossing nearby. Actually five of them had already crossed the river, and were calling for the rest of the herd. But zebra were hesitating:

02_09_2015%20set2-04_zpsfhaatyo2.jpg

Some giraffes were braver:

02_09_2015%20set2-02_zpshcoscbns.jpg

02_09_2015%20set2-03_zpsaocj4ynl.jpg

The example did not work for zebras, the disposition stayed the same. Finally, five zebras that had crossed decided to join the herd and started to cross back. Sometimes nature is such a bitch: a crocodile did not wait:

02_09_2015%20set2-06_zpsdo8xbvaa.jpg

A second later the foal disappeared from the surface of the water:

02_09_2015%20set2-05_zpsjdsymo9w.jpg

His mother did not seem to even realize what had happened, she began to run in circles and call the foal. Then she crossed the river again, ran and called there. Then she crossed back again. It was so sad! Heartbreaking!

02_09_2015%20set2-07_zpsjrsh4mix.jpg

Zebras decided that they were not interested in crossing and we continued the drive.

02_09_2015%20set2-08_zpsmpjdf2ub.jpg

Marsh pride was on a fresh kill:

02_09_2015%20set2-09_zpsxlggprgw.jpg

02_09_2015%20set2-12_zpsragehurg.jpg

Wildebeest were watching (keep you friends close and keep your enemies even closer)

02_09_2015%20set2-13_zpsmdhnf23v.jpg

One of lionesses continued to hunt. But with no result:

02_09_2015%20set2-15_zpsfmfgcdg4.jpg

Cats are cats. These guys were almost touching the ground with their bellies but as soon as warthogs appeared not far from them, they started to hunt:

02_09_2015%20set2-19_zpsl2zchstl.jpg

Everyone was in a playful mood:

02_09_2015%20set2-10_zps1rnht6ey.jpg

02_09_2015%20set2-16_zps5aw4xtfs.jpg

02_09_2015%20set2-17_zpsbi9dbix8.jpg

02_09_2015%20set2-18_zpsoylx0g2n.jpg

When lions stare my heart stops :)

02_09_2015%20set2-11_zps1eepufxg.jpg

02_09_2015%20set2-14_zps4njnf9bq.jpg

Dad came home from work:

02_09_2015%20set2-20_zpsqyi4iwkz.jpg

We thought that he would fight for his share, but he was full and kind. He played with kids and lied down to relax:

02_09_2015%20set2-21_zpsnupfuqwe.jpg

02_09_2015%20set2-22_zpsovbnzmxf.jpg

And then another male returned from unsuccessful warthog hunt and they began to great each other (look at the size of these paws!)

02_09_2015%20set2-23_zpsckxsmsuw.jpg

02_09_2015%20set2-24_zpsykkxaovd.jpg

The day came to an end!

@@bettel

The first day gave you all this. WOW what a cracking start! Looking forward to reading the rest

@@bettel

Crossing photos, jackal pups with the feather, little cheetahs, then the heart rending crossing with the zebra foal. The Mara really is delivering for you. I am really enjoying seeing all the fantastic behaviour and your great photos. Loving the comment/description for each photo as well!

The hippo portrait is a standout amongst a post filled with great company. I also really like the male lions, and the giraffe crossing is a unique one, too.

The giraffe crossing is another remarkable sighting and another thing to add to my list if our Serian guide is reckless enough to ask what we would like to see.Still getting something extra every sighting. The crocodile roll is a great catch although it isn't really nice to thing what is out of shot.

Looks like a great big cat trip - absolutely stunning photos!!

@CaroleE, @@Marks, @@pault, @ravipatel888,

Thank you! I do feel blessed. I think by the end of the trip Adrian really wanted me to shut up and not to tell other guests what I saw :). If everything in OK and I go to Porini camps in February they will be under big pressure lol

Day 5. Morning.

It was one of the most memorable mornings (that it is because I love leopards :) ). At the same time I have only very bad quality pictures. We went to the border of the reserve and the conservancy, it is home for a leopard with two cubs. As it was a reserve there was a herd of cars too. The only reason why I did not ask the guide to get out of there right away is the fact that while leopards were in a gullet, vehicles did not bother them at all. We parked the car little bit aside from everybody else and suddenly they appeared. Kittens were running among bushes, jumping on them, swinging on branches, making somersaults using tree trunks. The camera immediately said “No way!”. And it made me a lot of picture of branches. Here are some photos where you can at least identify kittens :) (others are much worse :) ):

03_09_2015-01_zpstr7xv6jp.jpg

03_09_2015-03_zpsxlf54yro.jpg

03_09_2015-02_zpsih4ldaze.jpg

After playing for about 20 minutes kittens disappeared, but later we found their mother, who also hid behind the bushes:

03_09_2015-04_zpsx4dkuvtr.jpg

Then we went the usual route. We met a family of elephants:

03_09_2015-05_zpsjnylmuen.jpg

03_09_2015-06_zpsjdoplpwe.jpg

03_09_2015-07_zps57nwmvwu.jpg

03_09_2015-08_zpslmxbwm5y.jpg

We stopped to say "Good morning!" to jackals. They moved to another den:

03_09_2015-09_zpspnkz9i2w.jpg

03_09_2015-10_zpsvhbpeck8.jpg

03_09_2015-11_zpsdmcwie3z.jpg

We saw lions, lions slept (I am posting only one picture as there will be a lot of lion pictures from the evening drive :) ):

03_09_2015-14_zpso0oljh79.jpg

We saw a lot of wildebeests. They are so funny, if it rains in the conservancy they come here, if it rains in the reserve they go back. With the amount of rains everywhere they are totally confused and go back and forth all the time.

03_09_2015-12_zpsafssxeoe.jpg

On the way to the camp we saw a hyena enjoying the bath:

03_09_2015-13_zps7tta4ols.jpg

Edited by bettel

~ @@bettel

This most recent set of photographs is stunning!

The cantering wildebeest is delightful!

Likewise the hyena in water.

As to the leopards — SUPER!

All very fine. Thank you!

Tom K.

@@bettel Your words remind me of this quote from Jonathan Scott:

"Ironically a 'good' leopard photograph is often something of a misrepresentation: a leopard caught in the open or revealed on a leafless branch in perfect light may look marvelous through the viewfinder, but does it give a true impression of the leopard's world? I suspect that the trunkful of reject slides that I collected over the years may be closer to the truth - a world full of shadows and partially obscured images."

I actually think your images are great, but the above quote has inspired me to keep even some photos that I'd otherwise have deleted.

Also, that's a hilarious hyena.

The jackal cubs were delightful!! and i too love that picture of the hyena looking rather sheepish that it was found enjoying the mud.

Malaika's kids are all so grown up, but there are only 3. when we saw them, there were four and i heard that all four were doing well. any idea what happened to the fourth one? here's a pix of them still fairly small in February - just to show how fast they's grown!

untitled-1-392.jpg

untitled-1-406.jpg

The jackal cubs were delightful!! and i too love that picture of the hyena looking rather sheepish that it was found enjoying the mud.

Malaika's kids are all so grown up, but there are only 3. when we saw them, there were four and i heard that all four were doing well. any idea what happened to the fourth one? here's a pix of them still fairly small in February - just to show how fast they's grown!

~ @@Kitsafari

Those are great images!

I watched those same young cheetahs nursing on their mother in early August, 2014.

They've certainly matured.

Did @@graceland see these cheetahs? Your lovely tribute poem has me thinking about her.

Tom K.

Thank you @@Tom Kelly, @@Marks and @@Kitsafari

@@bettel Your words remind me of this quote from Jonathan Scott:

"Ironically a 'good' leopard photograph is often something of a misrepresentation: a leopard caught in the open or revealed on a leafless branch in perfect light may look marvelous through the viewfinder, but does it give a true impression of the leopard's world? I suspect that the trunkful of reject slides that I collected over the years may be closer to the truth - a world full of shadows and partially obscured images."

Thank you for sharing the quote, it is a nice one and it is so true :). However it is so awesome to have a leopard in the open lol

I don't think somebody knows what happened to the fourth cub. Meru Mara cheetah project was thinking that the cub got lost and they were trying to find him but without any luck :(

You photos of the family are great!!!

Day 5 (evening)
Our afternoon drive was short (well, one and a half hour shorter than the usual one), because I was going to spend a night in the tree house. The Nest (tree house) is on another side of Mara river so you have to walk there (approximately 1.5 kilometer). And you can walk only if it is still light.
Because of the limited time, we decided to go to lions :). On the way to lions we saw a kori bustard:
3_09_2015%20set%202-01_zpsr5m7hyzs.jpg
And young elephants practicing the art of fight:
3_09_2015%20set%202-02_zps1vdwbvuz.jpg
3_09_2015%20set%202-03_zpsdqrbd7fr.jpg
3_09_2015%20set%202-04_zpsvacckohd.jpg
Just as we got to lions it began to rain. So the whole series of photos is titled "Wet cats" :). Just in front of us there were two lionesses and a cub between them:
3_09_2015%20set%202-05_zpsqzielxj1.jpg
Poor cub probably hoped that between lionesses it would be warmer. Yeah, sure! The two lionesses were grooming him all the time and thus were absolutely removing any air cushion in his hair. They were also shaking all their water on him :). He was soaking wet at the end.
3_09_2015%20set%202-06_zpsu0ddhfhp.jpg
3_09_2015%20set%202-07_zps5xipigll.jpg
3_09_2015%20set%202-08_zpsy675dvtq.jpg
When the rain stopped more lions started to come out of the bush. They greeted each other and began to groom themselves or others:
3_09_2015%20set%202-09_zpsdo9repqz.jpg
This is the lion cub, that got so wet because of too much care :)
3_09_2015%20set%202-10_zpsxbixz2ki.jpg
3_09_2015%20set%202-11_zpsia30y2hq.jpg
At some point, one of lionesses settled just 4-5 meters away from the car. Jonathan, noting that some rain water accumulated on the roof, asked me to lift the tent little bit. OMG! Water splashed, lioness jumped high and turned to us with the face expression "I'll kill you, bastards! And it will be painful! ". My heart fell into my stomach and then proceeded into my feet :). For a few seconds we were staring at each other and then the lioness decided that it was some unknown natural phenomenon, turned around and went to the rest of the pride. We drove a little further away, not to scare lions again, and started to lift tent to remove all water when I turned to lions, all of them were staring at us. As if they were deciding what part of our bodies tasted better :). But it allowed to take a photo with almost all lions being active :)
3_09_2015%20set%202-20_zpsgz1rm2qi.jpg
I love to watch lions interacting with each other. there are so many emotions: joy, tenderness, irritation, playfulness, and many more:
3_09_2015%20set%202-12_zpsrwhtobxw.jpg
3_09_2015%20set%202-13_zps3g00eym1.jpg
3_09_2015%20set%202-14_zpsw00d213t.jpg
3_09_2015%20set%202-15_zps3crgomqr.jpg
3_09_2015%20set%202-16_zpsiyi3mddl.jpg
3_09_2015%20set%202-17_zpsun341o1x.jpg
3_09_2015%20set%202-18_zpsjxm1cptm.jpg
3_09_2015%20set%202-19_zpschdfoahi.jpg
3_09_2015%20set%202-21_zpspfbtuuvd.jpg
3_09_2015%20set%202-22_zpstieysw2c.jpg
And it was on the background:
3_09_2015%20set%202-23_zpsryqxufk1.jpg
On the way back we met a family of elephants. They were enjoying fresh mud:
3_09_2015%20set%202-24_zpswvtkvigo.jpg
3_09_2015%20set%202-25_zpsk9zo4icp.jpg
3_09_2015%20set%202-27_zpsxokakyd4.jpg
3_09_2015%20set%202-28_zpsqg4up7pu.jpg
3_09_2015%20set%202-29_zpsxliru8n3.jpg
3_09_2015%20set%202-26_zps6uwihem4.jpg
In the camp I quickly packed and we went to the Nest. Here is the bridge over the river:
3_09_2015%20set%202-30_zpsf5gikpfv.jpg
Edited by bettel

Love the elephants enjoying the rain and mud! :)