My BBC moments: following Mara predators... and not only :)

bettel

Day 8.

Here was the last drive and I absolutely did not feel tired of safari :). Usually my last drive is quiet (maybe I just don’t know what to wish for :) ). The last safari in South Africa broke this tradition. But an exception only proves the rule. I was not hoping for anything. However, I was still sending the general wish to the Universe (“Show me something nice”). The morning was quiet. Well, we saw lots of animals but nothing super exciting. We found our favourite pride but lions went to a rocky area to sleep and we could not follow:

7_09_2015-01_zpszdd302a7.jpg

Then we spent some time with elephants:

7_09_2015-02_zpscjkxuumv.jpg

… and photographed a martial eagle:

7_09_2015-04_zpsktierhts.jpg

Some topis:

7_09_2015-03_zpsl4vsmv1u.jpg

And sleepy buffaloes:

7_09_2015-06_zpsnywvrws3.jpg

Then we stopped for breakfast and noticed that one of tires was going to get flat so Jonathan had to change it:

7_09_2015-05_zpsd8irnusf.jpg

After breakfast we followed scavengers. Birds were cleaning bones:

7_09_2015-07_zpses8fu4iz.jpg

Hyenas were sharing skin:

7_09_2015-08_zpscheo7wuk.jpg

7_09_2015-09_zpswebtrktj.jpg

And then we found part of River pride: three lionesses and a lion. They were deep in the bush; all were like "I have been dead for three days". It was 11 am and very hot. There was no hope for any possible move and usually I would have asked Jonathan to go and look for something else, but these were my last lions on safari so I sat quietly and enjoyed it. I was wrong. After 20-30 minutes of sleep, one of the lionesses got up and went to the male. She greeted him, as if she was saying that it was time for some fun. Really?! And, indeed, we did not have time to blink, and lovers already finished :)

7_09_2015-10_zps8ingdhju.jpg

But that was not all. The second lioness got up and went to claim some attention. Wow! Was he mating with two lionesses? Well, actually, it might be that he was mating with all three lol. No wonder, poor male did not have too much enthusiasm :)

7_09_2015-14_zpsnczfnit8.jpg

7_09_2015-13_zpsozjeptdi.jpg

7_09_2015-15_zpsgubwxjp0.jpg

Not only was not he dreaming about mating he was almost trying to avoid it :). He was trying to walk as far as possible from lionesses, he was lying on the ground as long as possible and was pretending that he did not understand what they want:

7_09_2015-12_zpsdosxg3zy.jpg

"Hey, baby, it is time!"

7_09_2015-17_zps5rlstijc.jpg

"Woman, leave me alone, I have a headache!"

7_09_2015-18_zpszsdilku3.jpg

"Get up! NOW! "

7_09_2015-19_zpsodwl6sgj.jpg

“OK, if I really have to…”

7_09_2015-20_zpszxli2xi4.jpg

7_09_2015-21_zpspknqcvxe.jpg

7_09_2015-22_zpsqmgyhdjo.jpg

Poor guy! he was drinking for 10 minutes straight!

7_09_2015-23_zpspjykbszq.jpg

But the entertainment was not over yet, one of cars had a flat tire. Yeah, right beside the lions (well, they just drove away 50 meters). And we (and another car) tried to park so that we could block lions from seeing people outside of the vehicle (not to save people, but not to make lions run away). But one of the lionesses noticed humans:

7_09_2015-24_zpsfbka5i8e.jpg

And she began to move away:

7_09_2015-26_zpsqbz1djeu.jpg

Then the second noticed:

7_09_2015-27_zpssnpwe4hp.jpg

They trotted away. The male was the last one, he did not care, he just wanted to lie down:

7_09_2015-28_zps0mgctyax.jpg

So at some point, he found a place to rest away from lionesses (50-100 meters) in deep bushes. But lionesses rested and found him there :). That was a very fun sighting! Such a great surprise!

On the arrival to the camp I found I caught some stomach bug, nothing too serious but I was feeling sick and extremely weak. I was also pretty stressed as Canada is very serious about traveling to Africa due to Ebola. I was imagining the scene: I'm pale and sick, returning from Africa and trying to go through customs. Yeah! Good try! 100% I would be quarantined. And I just had to be at work the next day after the arrival, or my boss would never allow me to go further than Mexican coast again. Good Lord I slept all way to London and felt almost healthy in Ottawa :). I am allowed to go back to Africa :).

I am not a bird enthusiast, but that martial eagle photo is exceptional. What a capture.

Wonderful last sighting with the lions, your storytelling is so entertaining, as that is just what the photos looked like, poor old male just had to take care of his ladies!

Glad you got home healthy, what a scare!

Thank you for a wonderful TF!

Amazing lion photos; their faces are so expressive.

I also really like the one of the two hyenas together.

Glad you passed customs and will be able to do so again. :)

@amybatt, @@Marks, thank you! Now I have to survive till my next trip to Mara in February :). I don't think, I have been ever looking forward to February so badly :)

I'm going in February too! Maybe we'll cross paths!?

It would be awesome :)

I will be in Porini Mara (Naboisho) from Feb 9 to Feb 12 and

in Porini Lion from Feb 12 to Feb 19

I was at both of those Porini camps in Feb 2014, you'll love them. Jackson at Lion is a rock star. I love him to bits.

After Amboseli, I'll be at Encounter Mara 19-23 Feb, if I remember right. I just miss you.

@@bettel

Thanks for another great trip report. The combination of your photos and the manner in which you narrate them is most effective. It really makes me feel as if I almost am there with you.

Speaking of photos, + 1 on the Martial Eaglle. Great capture!

You found the nursery! Little ones everywhere. And baby makes three with the leopards. I was just oo-ing and ah-ing over Greater Kruger for leopard cubs. I'll have to add the Mara. You chose well for the 20% of lion photos.

Your Mara crossing shots are simply stunning. They are indeed BBC moments. I'm sure Shakespeare would describe your Mara River experience in powerful prose.

Nursery time continues with the jackals. That feather as a prop worked beautifully! Then the cheetah cubs.

Had to laugh at your if you are bored strikeout.

Your wet lions are a wonderful and different perspective of such a commonly seen animal on safari. It seems you were more of a participant than you cared to be regarding the water and lions. So much lion mating activity going on!

Your luck with the sightings must have rubbed off on the reedbuck who escaped barely. But not on the warthog. I was hoping for it to end as I scrolled through your photos.

BBC moments is not an exaggeration for your safari. Your "system" is a success.

Was this an Aug safari?

Edited by Atravelynn

• 2 weeks later...

@@bettel It was really nice catching up with your report and seeing some of the same animals... and some different ones.

Guess who our guide was? Perhaps Roisin read my comment in your trip report and has a sense of humour. She knew who I was from Safaritalk anyway. I didn't actually pressure him to provide the same sightings though, and of course we couldn't have matched you for leopard and cheetah luck.

Was this an Aug safari?

Thank you for all your kind words!! It was the first week of September.

@@pault, since I noticed your first post on safaritalk after you got back I am constantly checking the report section for your report :). I am really looking forward to it :). Please-please-please :)!

@@bettel

Another +1 for the Martial Eagle.

Really enjoyed the photos and your commentary about Mr Lion and his hareem. Highly amusing!

• 2 weeks later...

Wonderful story telling, illustrated with photos. I was just at Serian Main Camp for 7 nights in early October. Your story telling allowed me to re-live my time there.

@@bettel

I am just catching up!

The jackal cub sequence is wonderful (with great text!), as is the sequence of lion cubs with tortoise.

Beautiful photos throughout.

fantastic report and photos :)

@@bettel

I missed this while I was away… just catching up. I particularly liked the wildebeest crossing, the else in the mud and the baby warthog.

• 2 weeks later...

Great report and fantastic photos. I have exactly the same equipment and could only dream of getting shots that good.

• 1 month later...

This is an awesome report! Seems like you had a great time at Serian Mara. Did you go anywhere else? Of the 7 days, how many were you just in Mara North vs. the reserve? Did you see the crossing in Mara North?

Did you go anywhere else? Of the 7 days, how many were you just in Mara North vs. the reserve? Did you see the crossing in Mara North?

No, I spent all 7 days at Serian. I like to stay longer at the same place.

In general we were going to the reserve every second day. However, it is quite quick decision if not to go too far in the reserve. E.g. March area and a few nearest crossing points are within 45 mins drive. But for cheetahs we had to go to Outlook (I believe is the name :) ) area and it is a pretty long (1.5-2 hours) drive.

I am not sure if you can see crossing in MNC, it think all crossing points are in the reserve, but maybe I am wrong :)

Edited by bettel

Was this an Aug safari?

Thank you for all your kind words!! It was the first week of September.

Thanks. We all love your Martial Eagle. A 3-way lion mating fest is a way to end the safari with a bang!

@@bettel i'm late to your final stretch but better late than never. what a trip! Serian Mara north does deliver doesnt it? I love my time there and am encouraging my husband to go there too.

Martial eagle - what a shot! I'm pretty sure you mentioned what camera equipment you were using - but could you jog my memory please? those closeups of the lions were amazing as well.

what camera equipment you were using - but could you jog my memory please? those closeups of the lions were amazing as well.

Thank you for reading :). I have a pretty simple set: Nikon D7000 and Nikkor 70-200 f2.8

Edited by bettel

• 3 weeks later...

If everything in OK and I go to Porini camps in February they will be under big pressure lol

~ @@bettel

May I please ask if you did eventually decide to stay at the Porini camps next month?

If so, which ones?

Tom K.

@@Tom Kellie, Yes, I have it all booked: 3 nights in Porini Mara (Naboisho) and 7 nights in Poirni Lion (Olare Motorogi)