KaliCA

Thanks for your response. As you will see, there are many more hiccups to come and somehow we managed to bear it all. Sometimes we just looked at each other and said. " I need a hug."

I liked Arusha NP for all the greenery as normally we see wildlife in "brown" meaning dry season. The monkeys were a nice treat as well.

Canadian Robin

Oh my goodness - your trip certainly got off to a shaky start. I admire your ability to take it all in stride. I would have been considerably more flustered.

We visited that market across from the Nakumatt (when it was Shoprite) and I didn't feel especially safe there either. We were immediately surrounded by touts, who were very aggressive and would not leave us alone. Eventually, we (actually, my DH) got smart, and hired one of them to guide us around to the best stalls. Once it was clear that he was working with us, the other men left us alone - thank goodness. There was some nice produce, but we never would have found it on our own.

Shopping with your cell phone on flashlight mode must have been a wee bit of a challenge - I hope you managed a photo. A funny story now, but it must have been frustrating at the time - a good test of your patience, of which you seem to have plenty.

I look forward to reading all about Tarangire - one of our favourite parks. CR

Canadian Robin

I laughed when I saw all of your gear spread out on the lawn next to the parking lot - soooo familiar!! :)

Interesting RTT, with what looks like a veranda in the front!

@@KaliCA

A self-driving Trip Report, my preferred. And to put a Defender on the top ... just awesome.

When you list costs with $ sign, that should be read as USD?

And please, if possible, post your photos a bit bigger size. They are worth to be seen at 800 or even 1000 pix !!

There will be additional questions. More about that later :) .

Anthilltiger

Great read and loving it and totally relate to the battles your having - this is normal life for us in Tanzania.

If you haven't done so already, please make it clear how the entry and camping permits worked for NCA and Serengeti. Did you pay by cash or credit card at the gate or did you have to go to the bank and pre-load cards!

Last December, for the NCA, we had to get the entry card at Karatu (9 kms from the gate) and take that to the gate - what on earth?!

Point of interest: there was an albino baboon at Arusha national park with the troop near Momella lake. Just curious if anyone has seen it recently - pretty amazing sight as it stands out like a sore thumb in the troop.

I will have a careful eye on this TR, thank you very much to take the time to write all these details, without doubts that will help a lot to organize any self drive safaris in Northern Tanzania !!!!

@@KaliCA

A self-driving Trip Report, my preferred. And to put a Defender on the top ... just awesome.

When you list costs with $ sign, that should be read as USD?

And please, if possible, post your photos a bit bigger size. They are worth to be seen at 800 or even 1000 pix !!

There will be additional questions. More about that later :) .

Hi, yes, all dollars are US dollars

Have tried to understand how to insert pics into text or how to make them bigger... And it is still a mystery to me. Do you know how to make them bigger? Using iPad or Mac

Great read and loving it and totally relate to the battles your having - this is normal life for us in Tanzania.

If you haven't done so already, please make it clear how the entry and camping permits worked for NCA and Serengeti. Did you pay by cash or credit card at the gate or did you have to go to the bank and pre-load cards!

Last December, for the NCA, we had to get the entry card at Karatu (9 kms from the gate) and take that to the gate - what on earth?!

Point of interest: there was an albino baboon at Arusha national park with the troop near Momella lake. Just curious if anyone has seen it recently - pretty amazing sight as it stands out like a sore thumb in the troop.

Did not see any albino monkeys. Pity.

Yes paying for entrance permits is a pain and different from how it is done in the Serengeti, easy, to the NCA, difficult. Hope this will become clear in the next sections of my TR.

I laughed when I saw all of your gear spread out on the lawn next to the parking lot - soooo familiar!! :)

Yes, there was a zip-on addition to the RT we did not are to use and brought it back to Nathan when we revisited the depot. It might have been useful in rainy days when the long part would hang down to the ground and so you would get more cover.

If anybody can relate to all our highlights and lowlights it is you two...thanks again for all your help when planning this. Funny how I thought that food would be the biggest challenge.....not

Here is the diary about Tarangire NP, first visit. There will be a second visit at the end of the trip

August 4 continued: Tarangire NP

We enter Tarangire Park and try to figure out the different steps one has to follow in order to get an entrance permit. There are five steps and remember, always bring your car's license plate number, all camping vouchers, and know the dates of your stay. I just showed them the calendar on my iPhone. Visual aid works well.

First, visit the small guard house, then go pay where all the game drivers stand in line. Visa CC or cash.

Park fees $45 pppd

Vehicle fee $10 pd

Public CS $30 pppd

Special CS $50 pppd

Second, move over a few steps and show the receipt to another clerk who will scribble out your permit.

Third, sign the required information into the big book.

Fourth, take this permit and go back to the guardhouse

Fifth, give your permit to the clerk and wait until she copies it into her book. Then the attendant will lower the chain and you are in. Yay!

As self-drivers we have to figure out all the bureaucracy on our own, whereas if you have a guide/driver they will do that as part of their service.

We pay $460 for a 3 night stay with two times camping in Mbewha special CS and one night at the Public CS.

Getting a permit takes an hour, so by the time we reach Mbewha special CS, the sun is setting behind the many marvelous baobab trees.

We set up camp facing a dry riverbed of a contributory river to the Tarangire River. Hmmm, not a very good spot to see animals along a dry river. Will see.

We BBQ chicken on the Weber grill, use the gas cooker to make rice and make a nice salad with tomatoes, olives, cukes, onions, and avocado. (No lettuce available). We go to bed wearing thermal underwear as pajamas as it is quite cold, and hyena calls lull us to sleep.

August 5, Tarangire Mbewha special CS

Today is a full day game driving! Our plan is to reach Silale Swamp Picnic area for lunch and find as many animals as we can. After morning tea, we pack up and see two Dik-Dik and Giraffe right out of the campsite. We follow the east side of the Tarangire River and come across herds of zebra and wildebeest. We stop to observe cute Dwarf Mongoose popping out of a termite mound into the golden morning light. Across the river we spot a running herd of buffalo, find a river crossing, and then observe the herd galloping across the road, some stopping to stare.

We follow the river road, meeting many many ellies on the way as well as other herbivores. We enjoy the savannah landscape and the wet spots in the river with game. By lunchtime. we reach Silale Picnic area. It lies on a slope above the wet and green expanse and is a great spot from which to see herds of ellies and zebra enter the swamp, frolicking in and around the water, before walking into the green to feed. There are many ibises and storks present as well.

The GPS is leading us back north along a horribly bumpy road and adding insult to injury, there are many tsetse flies following us, then entering our car and some manage to bite us. Big mistake to have made a loop rather than returning the way we came.

While DH gets bitten by the darn beasts but shows no further reaction, I get bitten and then a big bump shows under my skin, accompanied by a fierce itch. Luckily, my doctor gave me a prescription medication called, and I'm reading from the label"Clotrimazole and Betamethasone Dipropionate Cream." Without this cream I would have gone mad from itching. Using this ointment made the bites bearable but I still had some that turned bloody, scabbed over, and continued itching. We wore pre-treated clothing, used OFF, Rid, a fly swatter, long sleeves, long pants, and the beasts still stung us, through the clothes. We even took mesh screen with us to tape around the windows, but did not use it as we never encountered swarms, just 5-8 flies at a time, but that was enough for me and those few beasts brought on a lot of suffering.

On the way back, we encounter big herds of zebra, wildebeest, and ellies wherever there is water in the river. Try as we may, the cats are eluding us today.

We return to camp at sunset and notice that our special campsite designated for only one party, has been invaded by a mobile tent Safari operator. A few men are setting up tents for their guests that will arrive tomorrow. Not good. I don't feel like driving to the ranger station to report this (just what this group was hoping for) so I talk to them politely and insist they would be very quiet and stop hammering. They comply and we really did not hear them at all.

August 6, Tarangire NP

We wake up before first light to find a small herd of ellies browsing near our camp. Nice. After morning tea, we decide to explore the area between the gate and Matete Picnic site, as well as north and south of the river. We are the first and only visitor's at the picnic site and make full use of their toilets and sinks to clean up. We are also hoping to see the lion pride that was spotted by my sister yesterday below the picnic site. We drive all the game driving tracks east of the river keeping our eyes out for lions. At one point, we notice that the zipper that holds the roof tent cover in place is now totally broken and DH had to design a way to keep the cover attached and snug.

We stop fairly close to the river and proceeded to attach parts of my cloth line to bungee cords and secure the cover this way. It worked for the next three weeks just fine that way.

Before leaving this spot, I scan the river area again, and....I spot two huge male lions walking and crossing the river not too far from us. They seem to notice us as well, but keep climbing the riverbank and walk nicely in the golden morning light along the top of the bank. They lie down, before descending back into the river, crossing it below where we are and then they disappear in the tall grass in the direction of a dry riverbed. Beautiful sighting.

We try to find access further down river, but do not see those two again. Later, we take a photo of their paw prints they left behind in the sand.

We park high up on a cliff and have our usual breakfast while admiring the river view and the morning ellies coming to drink.

Many more ellies and herbivores keep us entertained all day long as we game drive along the river. At one point we visit the Little Serengeti area and find a very busy waterhole. We also visit the hallow huge Baobab tree called Poacher's Baobab and we climb inside through the opening.

Late afternoon we make our way towards the Public CS and find a lot of activity along the three waterholes, some covered with green lettuce and one water source is covered with green plants and yellow flowers. We encounter our first ever golden cranes, and there were many herbivores drinking in the golden evening light, even giraffe. Wildebeest walking single file into the sunset while kicking up dust brings this busy day to an end.

The campsite is quite busy with many budget Safari operators pitching small tents for their clients. My sister has staked out a nice spot away from everything and we fit nicely next to them. There is only one other self-drive car there. The new toilet and shower facilities are without water and the old ones are deplorable. So rather than taking cold showers in a disgusting shower, we heat up water and take sponge baths in the dark.

Our evening chores are many and keep us busy till bedtime. We erect the roof tent, folding table and camping chairs. We prepare our bag to go upstairs with us. (In case we can not come down in the morning because of animal activity, we each have a container to pee in an emergency, granola bars as a snack, some ice tea, as well as our cameras). We BBQ dinner and cook on the gas. We relax and chat about our day during dinner with our relatives. We heat water to wash our dishes. We wash and dry our dishes. We fill up washing water into the 1 1/2 liter bottles that are easier to use than the unwielding water canister. We fill up enough small water bottles to make Snapple ice tea to keep us hydrated all day. We clean and arrange the cool box. We wash ourselves before bedtime. We secure the garbage and everything else back in the car.

So.... camping and being self-sufficient sure is a lot of work and there is usually more time to relax during the midday heat than in the evening.

Tonight, some French-speaking people let their kids run around the campsite in the dark screaming and hollering and it's already after 10 pm. Very inconsiderate and this would be a good reason to choose a special CS: for peace and quiet.

Are you still with me? On we go to Lake Natron and Lobo area in the...SERENGETI. yay

August 7, from Tarangire to Lake Natron

For the first time we hear lion roaring during the night. Always a welcome sound. As I descend the ladder, I notice waterbuck lying close to our car. When I come back from the facilities, I almost bump into a small herd of ellies browsing around our car. Good thing I am using a flashlight!

My conclusion is that in Tarangire, in August, you do not need a special CS, unless you want total privacy. We prefer sleeping around animals, so we much preferred the public CS for this reason. (There may be more activity at Mbewha in the green season, who knows?)

We leave at 7 and drive slowly looking for the lions. Nothing. But we see two giraffe drinking at the waterhole and then our first ...eland this trip. I find that just as leopards are elusive among cats, so are eland elusive among antelopes. They always keep more distance and are prone to run away and hide. Very happy to have seen eland.

We check out of Tarangire park (easy, just sign out in the ledger book and show your permit)and stop at a roadside stand to buy a Masai painting. At the junction in Makuyuni we turn left for Mtowambu. We want to buy gas, water, and veggies there. The first gas station is out of Diesel. The one past our turn in the center of town has everything we need. An enterprising local youth latches on to us and leads us to his neighbor's fruit stand in the market behind the gas station. There I buy tomatoes, cukes, avocado, onions, apples, and eggs. It's about $4 for everything.

My brother finds a man who brings a bunch of wood that he ties to his roof. People around here are very friendly and helpful. My young man wants to sell us a cultural tour ( fly catcher, I thought so!) but we decline and I give him a few dollars for his help.

We easily find the turn towards Lake Natron ( not marked!) and proceed to take this long and dusty road under our wheels. No more tar roads for two weeks. Yikes! It is soon desolate and the fierce wind makes it difficult to drive with open windows. We stop along the road and have a quick lunch in company of a very young and very raggedy goat herd. There is enough food for this poor Masai boy and he leaves with more in his arms. On the way we encounter many more goat and cattle herding Masai and most of the kids are begging. This becomes somewhat of a nuisance as some would come down a hill and run along our car, whistling or yelling. Grown-ups do not normally beg, only children. And what a pitiful sight they are, covered in raggedy blankets, layers of dust on them. and wearing sandals made from old tires. There is such a huge need for basics out here. We would encounter many young children, miles away from any settlement, without water or food, tending their goats or cows. Very tough lives, indeed.

Eventually, THE famed volcano, Ol Doinyo Lengai, comes into view, but despite this awesome landmark, it is most difficult to enjoy the drive as the road conditions are just shocking. No bridges, but deep dry river beds have to be crossed and even when the road is relatively straight it is full of treacherous dips and holes. We were expecting three toll roadblocks and sure enough, each village levies a tax for passing though just like it used to be in the Middle Ages. At each check-point we are offered beaded trinkets made by Masai women. We pay two times $10 pp and one time $15 pp, so $70 in total for two people.

Also, we need a wilderness permit for the stretch after Lake Natron, another $70. To compare, if you cross the NCA, you would spend less in km and gas, but spend $50 pppd just driving through plus a fee for the car of around $20

Daniel Staub did not tell me about the wilderness fee of $70 so I was under the false impression that the way through Lake Natron would be cheaper. It is not.

After a harrowing 7 hour drive, we arrive at Moivaro Tented camp above Lake Natron, dusty and exhausted. The reception by the Masai staff is super friendly and we're looking forward to cleaning up and rest. But, alas... There is no hot water in the shower. Hard to believe, and we paid over $200 a night for two. The little hut, too, is a disappointment with its bare cement floor and blankets hung as curtains. Garage sale style. I'm sorry to say that we should have camped at World View CS as our German friends did.

I take a dip in the slimy pool and we wash some of our dirty clothes and then it is time for dinner. Dinner is quite tasty with fresh ingredients, so not a total loss. There is a sliver of the lake visible from the lodge, but you need a guide to access the lake or the waterfall nearby.

Looking back on it now, we should have spent a full day around there or taken the NCA route into Serengeti. Getting to Klein's Gate in two days is too much driving given the horrible conditions. So a day with the Masai, waterfall, lake, ancient footprints would have broken up two tough driving days.

August 8, Lake Natron To Lobo Public CS

Mentally, I send best wishes to our son on his 32nd birthday, as there is no wifi here.

We are up early and watch the sun rise above the lake far below. We decided to eat BF at 6:30 in order to leave at 7 for the 8 hour drive to Lobo Campsite. We receive a boxed lunch each (included in full board) and say good-bye to the friendly staff. We wash our windows with water from the river and promptly some women want to sell us their beaded ware.

We enjoy the drive close to the Lake and the scenery is quite dramatic with the silver lake to the east, the volcano nicely lit by the early light in the south and the escarpment to the west, even some greenery fed by streams coming off the escarpment. Humans are but a speck of dust in such a vast landscape.

We come to a fork in the road. Our GPS is telling us to take the left road as the main track, whereas my BIL insists on taking the right track. We part and each party does as they please. I don't like it as this is desert and desolate country and I did not want us to separate, but we did. How will we find each other again?

Our track dips into a riverbed, crosses it and heads straight for the escarpment. Are we to climb up the Rift Valley? Oh yes, my DH is driving like a pro and the Defender seems to enjoy climbing up this long and winding road as much as the driver does. Good and trusty horse it is.... Now.... After the filter change! I'm a little scared as the road is very steep, but not in bad shape, oh wait, there are a few very hairy places, but never mind. We make it to the top and admire the sweeping view over the valley and lake below. Wow, we made it! Now off to find the relatives.

We zoom along on what feels like a sandy highway. This is Africa at its best, a sandy track long last. We pass Grant's gazelles, zebra, and some Maasai bomas, but no people. In the distance, we spot a village nestled on a hill and head there. After getting lost in the village and lots of people staring at the mzungus, with looks of "what the heck are those people doing here!"we pass the community fountain and come to a junction where.... my sister and BIL are waiting for us surrounded by a lot of children. We proceed to eat our boxed lunches and end up sharing with many of the hungry onlookers.

After Sanjo village, it is true Maasai country. Many herds of cattle and goats with their shepherds clad in red blankets, villages, corn fields, and bomas, on hills and in valleys all the way to Klein's Gate. No one is stopping us or asking us to produce the wilderness permit. Hmmmm...$70 for the government....

In Wasso village, we notice a new gas station, but it's not open yet. We ask a local where to find Diesel and he brings us to his friend who has Diesel in barrels, no pump. We buy 30 liters each and it gets funneled into our tank and the helpful man gets diesel splashed all over him. That earns him a nice tip. We pay 64'000 TSH and are happy to have found fuel. It adds to our mental comfort as the next fuel stop will only be in Seronera, Central Serengeti.

Just before Klein's Gate, we pass through a very colorful Maasai village with many many people buying and selling. Looks like a holiday or market gathering.

We enter Klein's Gate ranger post and here it is only two steps to get a permit and no waiting. Pay one person, (Visa) then get the permit written by another person. Very important, as it turns out, is the fact that while the individual campsites are recorded on the permit and even the number of days in each, THERE IS NO DATE NEXT TO EACH BOOKING. Will be important later.

I ask other game drivers about the migration and I'm told there has been a crossing yesterday. Oh good, so we may still have a chance of catching the migration.

I can't believe it, but we are paying $1350 for our 9 night stay inside the Serengeti, (two people, one car) Well, this is how much some people pay to stay ONE night in a luxury lodge, so there....ok, no need to think about money any more. We are inside the promised land, land of many dreams and high expectations. Shall we enter?

It's so green here and the rolling hills with acacia trees and kopjes go on and on. Just beautiful. We enter the fist game driving track we can and slowly make our way to Lobo Public CS. We encounter herds and herds of wildebeest and zebra, as well as some topis with two boinking babies, and to my delight, a small herd of eland and a pair of klipspringer on a rock. So cute. We are amazed at the huge number of herbivores all around us. Wow.

My sister and BIL are already set up at Lobo Public CS and it's quite tight with many overlander dome tents, and barely enough space for us. The campsite sits below some dramatic kopjes, but it's on a slope, so we have to drive on a rock to make our tent even. But wait, what are the black things with horns in the meadow just below us? Yes, Buffalo. Let's hope they will stay put at night. The campsite has a beautiful view down into the valley and across to another dramatic ridge.

The evening is very windy and chilly, so grilling outside is a challenge. Upon closer inspection it turns out that the bathroom facilities are very old and rather disgusting. There is no hot water, a big shock to me, and I just can't bring myself to take a cold shower in this cold weather. There are only 2 working toilets for about 60 campers. Deplorable, and I'm mad at the conditions, seeing we paid all that money getting here and now have to be uncomfortable. Hmmm, is there a theme developing here?

No French-speakers tonight... Just about 30 Spanish-speakers, some very late arrivals who have a hard time finding spots for their tents. They are only sitting down to dinner at 9 pm and have A LOT to talk about!

We go to sleep with Spanish chatter and the wind is making our tent flap. Where are my ear plugs? Highly recommended.

August 9, Lobo area

We wake up a lot during the night as the tent keeps flapping despite some extra securing with ropes. Again, we are up before sunrise and see dark shadows grazing in the meadow below. Dagga Boys, and now a lot more. We make morning tea and pack up watching the sun rise across the ridge. Beautiful setting.

Today we will be game driving all the tracks around the Lobo area. It turns out that the main gravel road is horribly corrugated, however, the game driving tracks are more sandy and compact and easier to drive.

We see two klipspringer, one with a broken horn, watching alertly from a round rock, a young jackal on the prowl, and then a single lioness. She is sitting upright in the early morning glow, then walks through the golden grass before sitting on a termite hill to scout around. First lion in the Serengeti. Beautiful sighting.

For breakfast we decide to find Lobo 1 special CS, as we will spend the next two nights there, and it was not to be found in T4A.

We can only find Lobo 2, the site of a mobile camp city, but a helpful employee, drives us to the beginning of the very faint tracks. Looks like no one has been on Lobo 1 in quite some time.

The track stops at a clearing and a fire pit. A few eland greet us not far away, but retreat all too soon. We set up for BF, without a table, so I invent one by placing the kitchen box cover between our two chairs. Voilà. Better than nothing. The camping chairs are really hard to open and heavy, not the ideal gear for a quick set up for lunch or BF.

We attach some duct tape to a bush to signal the tun-off for my sister and this is where I have a very bad fall and hurt my ribs. This injury is very painful, especially during the night and every time I cough or laugh and it would bother me throughout the trip.

The rest of the day we game drive around Lobo. We see huge herds of wildebeest, congregating, running across ditches and the road and we get a preview of what a crossing might look like. We enjoy the green landscape and visit Ngare Springs where we hoped to find lions, but instead see beautifully marked giraffe and across the river... A Maasai with a herd of goats. Really? Are we that close to the park boundary.

I'm delighted to see more eland, mixed in with a herd of zebra. I was hoping to see more lions sitting on the many rock outcroppings. But it was not to be. There were very few game drivers around so it was relatively quiet in the Lobo area.

After an enjoyable. albeit quiet game driving day, we make it back to Lobo 1 and do some grilling with the relatives. Again, it is rather windy here, but we are excited to be sleeping among animals rather than among loud people. We keep shining our lights around scanning the surroundings and we soon notice some hyena after dark. Later, we observe a fat civet cat making its way across camp.

At night, we hear lions roar and hyena call.

Yes, there was a zip-on addition to the RT we did not are to use and brought it back to Nathan when we revisited the depot. It might have been useful in rainy days when the long part would hang down to the ground and so you would get more cover.

If anybody can relate to all our highlights and lowlights it is you two...thanks again for all your help when planning this. Funny how I thought that food would be the biggest challenge.....not

That RTT looks huge! You are warriors! Overcoming all the problems with a smile and a hug. Very impressed!

What a wonderful adventure you are sharing with us, I'm enjoying it immensely.

What a wonderful adventure you are sharing with us, I'm enjoying it immensely.

Thanks for that. It is the most adventurous trip we have ever done. Looking back at it now, it was truly amazing. The best is yet to come.... Hope you will keep on reading.

That RTT looks huge! You are warriors! Overcoming all the problems with a smile and a hug. Very impressed!

Hi, thanks for that. Yes, you too, can relate well to our trials and tribulations. Africa is not for the faint of heart. Gotta be tough and persevere to get the big prize which is always.....to be among the wildlife. Priceless.

@@KaliCA, you are not selling me on the benefits of self-driving, but I am loving the adventure. My hand blew up like a balloon from a couple of tsetse bites, couldn't stop scratching you see, my husband, much more disciplined, had no problems. Looking forward to the next chapter/drama.

Here are the Lake Natron route pics. We had the most interaction with locals on this stretch. So if that is what you are looking for, it may be worth your while to spend some time in the Lake Natron area.

Our room was a single hut with two beds, and semi-open BR and shower in back of it. Looks romantic, but it was just too bare and no value for money.post-47216-0-77280800-1444007081_thumb.jpg

Some local faces:post-47216-0-16261300-1444007158_thumb.jpgpost-47216-0-49277600-1444007180_thumb.jpgpost-47216-0-39568600-1444007197_thumb.jpgpost-47216-0-22923300-1444007229_thumb.jpgpost-47216-0-79997800-1444007270_thumb.jpg

And more...post-47216-0-90853400-1444007352_thumb.jpgpost-47216-0-07819400-1444007369_thumb.jpgpost-47216-0-67514200-1444007386_thumb.jpgpost-47216-0-40152600-1444007456_thumb.jpgpost-47216-0-51582800-1444007480_thumb.jpg

The little goatherd...

Oops, here he is. Did not say ONE word, never smiled, just stared. post-47216-0-06067100-1444007638_thumb.jpg

The road and the viewspost-47216-0-89003800-1444007710_thumb.jpgpost-47216-0-30410500-1444007731_thumb.jpgpost-47216-0-20069500-1444007748_thumb.jpgpost-47216-0-35663700-1444007774_thumb.jpgpost-47216-0-00723300-1444007832_thumb.jpg