KaliCA

"So far we have seen 25 lions, 5 Cheetah and 1 Leopard during our visit to the Serengeti", just as I remember it, cats everywhere. @@KaliCA, what a buzz with the Lions in camp, I have a large canvas print on my wall of what I tell everyone are my Serengeti Cheetah Triplet "Brothers". Will be waiting for the continuing journey.

"So far we have seen 25 lions, 5 Cheetah and 1 Leopard during our visit to the Serengeti", just as I remember it, cats everywhere. @@KaliCA, what a buzz with the Lions in camp, I have a large canvas print on my wall of what I tell everyone are my Serengeti Cheetah Triplet "Brothers". Will be waiting for the continuing journey.

@@KaliCA

Holy cats! I don't know how happy I'd have been with four lions running amok right outside the tent I was in. Talk about an up close brush with nature! This is a great report that I'm enjoying very much (photography and writing style). Sorry that you suffered some injuries along the way - it seems that you didn't let them detract from the experience at all. I really liked the below , quintessentially Serengeti photo. Also, I applaud your choice for your first night's dinner: spaghetti in the Serengeti has a nice ring to it.

post-47216-0-76311000-1444180205.jpg

Turns out that they will not sleep in their roof tent any longer, because it's broken and too dangerous, but will sleep in lodges for the rest of the trip.

When I saw the first picture of your roof tent, I planned to ask you "How safe is that? If a large animal hit the ladder for some reason, will you fall to the ground?" Was that what happened to them?

I would really prefer a roof tent to cover the roof of the vehicle for safety reasons.

Anthilltiger

@@KaliCA - this is a great read and trip but please this is very important. Where and how did you camp near the Mara River. As far as I know there is no public camping and all special campsites are block booked by tour operators. Please would you give me as many details as possible as to where this camp site is and what its called etc.

For example, from the Kogatenda airstrip, how far? which way? did you cross the shoe bridge over the Mara (near the airstrip) to get to your camp site? This could be a game changer for us - the Mara River is ONLY 2.5 days drive for us but we will do it everytime if we could camp.

@@KaliCA

Holy cats! I don't know how happy I'd have been with four lions running amok right outside the tent I was in. Talk about an up close brush with nature! This is a great report that I'm enjoying very much (photography and writing style). Sorry that you suffered some injuries along the way - it seems that you didn't let them detract from the experience at all. I really liked the below , quintessentially Serengeti photo. Also, I applaud your choice for your first night's dinner: spaghetti in the Serengeti has a nice ring to it.

post-47216-0-76311000-1444180205.jpg

Hi, glad to hear that my report is entertainment for you. Feel the same when I read TR by others. Yeah, I was miserable for a while with my hurt ribs. So now I'm thinking without this injury and better tsetse protection and no expectations for good BR or hot water... I could do this again. Just for the scenery and holy cats alone. Btw. There were 5!

Turns out that they will not sleep in their roof tent any longer, because it's broken and too dangerous, but will sleep in lodges for the rest of the trip.

When I saw the first picture of your roof tent, I planned to ask you "How safe is that? If a large animal hit the ladder for some reason, will you fall to the ground?" Was that what happened to them?

I would really prefer a roof tent to cover the roof of the vehicle for safety reasons.

No, their tent was in the turn over accident and was not fixed properly. The ladder helps secure the platform but even without the ladder the platform is stable. One half of the tent is always over the roof of the car so you would not fall anyway.

Kept us safe from 5 lions. Would not have wanted to be in a ground tent during this experience.

And... We don't have a two way radio like the GD do! So quite proud that we have awesome encounters on our own.

So I'm not the only one with the family thing when seeing cats.

Yeah. Sorry about the wait but did not want to drag LT to Europe. Too distracting. I keep reminding myself to be fully present in the moment.

@@KaliCA...this is great! I cannot imagine traveling this way in Africa. It is making our trip look like a visit to the zoo.

I can't believe we have to wait until November, it seems such a long time away. Hope you have a great trip but don't forget us when you come back as I really want to hear all about the end of the trip.

@@KaliCA...this is great! I cannot imagine traveling this way in Africa. It is making our trip look like a visit to the zoo.

Omg that's too funny. Had a good laugh with DH about your comment.

Where did you go that it felt so tame?

I can't believe we have to wait until November, it seems such a long time away. Hope you have a great trip but don't forget us when you come back as I really want to hear all about the end of the trip.

Believe you me, that was not my original plan. It's just that I had tons of computer problems so got a late start working on pics. Then... We just had to run up to the Grand Tetons to check out the fall colors and to American safari. Grizzlies beavers moose, elk ..

Hope you like my excuses?

Good news is the trip will take us back to Africa. North Africa. Morocco. Where they do have wildlife somewhere up in the Atlas. Wish me luck to at least see a gazelle.

Ttyl in Nov. thanks for joining me on our drama tour.

So many great photos. The crossing shots look like you were right there crossing too. Self drive across the river maybe? I've never seen such a large herd of eles crossing!

The trials and tribulations of finding and occupying your campsites was an adventure of its own.

Hope your ribs healed quickly.

What a wonderful lion story (and photos! Love the one with the flying chair and the lion sprinting away).

@@KaliCA...current trip report South Luangwa. We were first in Zambia and then Zimbabwe. NOT camping or self driving :)

So many great photos. The crossing shots look like you were right there crossing too. Self drive across the river maybe? I've never seen such a large herd of eles crossing!

The trials and tribulations of finding and occupying your campsites was an adventure of its own.

Thanks for reading along and yes the ribs are all good now. It did not help then sleeping on a 3 inch mattress in the RT. thanks for your nice comments, but of course you know we were just at the river's edge for the crossings. All the GDs and my DH. We don't have very good photo equipment so need to invest in some better gear. Truth is some pics look better on my screen than in the report. Do you know how to up the resolution when posting?

Our Canadian friend just mentioned how you were disappointed in Bagatelle not having Meerkats around so on the way to Madrid yesterday I started reading your report and hope to continue soon. Wanted to stay at Bagatelle next September on way to Sesriem and then Kgalagadi. Did you find meerkats so where else? The wild horses are so wonderful, we have seen them in Nevada desert when we go out rock hounding. Magnificient creatures esp. When running as a herd.

Any tips on where to find meerkats in southern Namibia a would be appreciated.

@@KaliCA...current trip report South Luangwa. We were first in Zambia and then Zimbabwe. NOT camping or self driving :)

Will have to look up your report when I get some down time this trip. I just canceled my planned Zim and Zam self-drive. I chickened out because of the border crossing hassles, roadblocks, paperwork, no value for money and some said not many animals in Mana, so I just started to panic a little and did a lot of what ifs, but then decided if I can't be cool with all of it, it's better to go back to what we know. Plenty of adventures to be had in Nam Bots and SA.

I'm curious as to how you liked it.

Thanks for reading along and yes the ribs are all good now. It did not help then sleeping on a 3 inch mattress in the RT. thanks for your nice comments, but of course you know we were just at the river's edge for the crossings. All the GDs and my DH. We don't have very good photo equipment so need to invest in some better gear. Truth is some pics look better on my screen than in the report. Do you know how to up the resolution when posting? I don't know but @@Jochen gave some advice one time.

Our Canadian friend just mentioned how you were disappointed in Bagatelle not having Meerkats around so on the way to Madrid yesterday I started reading your report and hope to continue soon. Enjoy Madrid. Wanted to stay at Bagatelle next September on way to Sesriem and then Kgalagadi. I think Sept would be a better time than June (when I went) if they are in the area. Did you find meerkats so where else? (1) A wild, unhabituated colony that the guide had located from previous trips &(2) meerkats that were rehabilitated and acclimated to their natural habitat before being released into the wild at Rostock Ritz Desert Lodge. The wild horses are so wonderful, we have seen them in Nevada desert when we go out rock hounding. Magnificient creatures esp. When running as a herd.

Any tips on where to find meerkats in southern Namibia a would be appreciated. A lodge near Bagatelle called Solataire also often has a colony. But not when I was there. Also Terra Rouge Guest Farm has them at times, but none during my visit.

@@KaliCA

"Any tips on where to find meerkats in southern Namibia a would be appreciated." - we have seen them in Kgalagadi. Bagatelle is nice ... but not completely up to what we like.

@@Anne_W Welcome to Safaritalk: sounds like you need to write a trip report about your experiences :) Also feel free to introduce yourself by starting a new topic here.

Matt

Hello Matt,

oops, have read your comment only today.

Thanks for the welcome and invitation to post a trip report. Unfortunately I do not find the time to post reports on various forums. If someone is really interested you can find my tr in the South african 4x4 forum www.4x4community.co.za

with best regards,

Anne

@@Anne_W

I am interested in reading your TR. Would you be so kind and post a link to it? The one above only gets me to the first forum page ...

@@Anne_W You could always just do a trip report with photos here on ST :) But your input, when you can will be much appreciated.

What an amazing self-drive Tanzanian adventure, @ KaliCA! Enjoying this report very much, will have to revisit other times for more detailed reading! Thanks for sharing your experiences here, love the "Lions in camp" section.

What an amazing self-drive Tanzanian adventure, @ KaliCA! Enjoying this report very much, will have to revisit other times for more detailed reading! Thanks for sharing your experiences here, love the "Lions in camp" section.

FlyTraveler, thanks so much for your kind words. Glad to know you enjoyed reading my TR and stay tuned as Lake Manyara and second Tarangire visit is coming to a forum near you in November.