Safari Virginity --- Gone.

Big Andy

I'm creating a flickr account now and uploading the images there. That will hopefully be an end to it.

Edited by Big Andy

This is a lovely report, really enjoying it. So good to see you got the Chikwenya and later Kanga. They are ideal places to begin or end a Mana safari. The Nyala are special and you are less likely to see them on the Mana Flood Plain.

Like many others I can see your photos with no problems. It is unfortunate that it is not the case for every body but hopefully you will get this resolved in time. Perhaps if member's want to give further advice they can PM @@Big Andy , and Andy, why not test out alternative ways of the posting images, use the 'posting images in the text' thread.

We can not have you losing the will to live as you have to

1. complete this TR

2. plan your next trip :)

Really looking forward to hearing and seeing more.

Thanks for everything so far.

offshorebirder

I've now tried it the way @@xelas has suggested does this work?

Yes @@Big Andy - that one worked for me on a Windows 7 PC and Firefox browser!

Fantastic Saddle-billed Stork photo by the way.

Edited by offshorebirder

Think I got it at last, can someone who can't see the earlier images tell if they can see this one please.

22818228452_7d78bda8e4_b.jpg

Our guide Andrew Smith turned out to be the best of the best, he really is one of life's gents and did everything he possibly could to make our stay in his back yard as exciting, enjoyable and memorable as possible and did indeed achieve all those things.

As it was now around 40C in the shade it was decided to sit under the trees in the river bed for a few hours until the worst was over then head out to seek whatever there was to be found. This didn't mean we did nothing or saw nothing, no that's not it at all, there were animals all around us coming down to the spring to get their daily ration of water as this was the time of day when the predators slept in the shade so would be (slightly) safer. As we sat there we saw Impala by the dozen coming and going, the odd one or two Bush Buck, Kudu, Wart Hog, a variety of birds and of course the resident Baboon troop getting on with life or not getting on as it appears to be with them.

22820213382_50e816e705_b.jpg

22212598343_e5dc36f307_b.jpg

22645739040_663927bb9b_b.jpg

And across from camp we had this rather dead Elephant which did remind you of it's presence when the wind was in the right direction. Andrew did say that he believed that this was a natural death as he'd been there when it arrived and died and he saw no signs of gunshot wounds etc.

22833220615_063a7f88aa_b.jpg

Edited by Big Andy

Looking up stream from camp about an hour after we had arrived the river bed turns to the right and disappears from view, and right where it vanishes there was a sudden explosion of animals and clouds of dust and briefly visible a tawny streak ran down the bank, across the sand and disappeared from view the other side. You guessed it, a lion! heat or no heat this had to be followed up. So two guides armed with rifles and four guests armed with binoculars and cameras hurried away from our relaxing shady spot and hurried in the direction of the activity. A very short time later we were brought to a sudden halt by Doug's raise hand and then inched forward. Unless you've done it you can have no idea of the heart rate the first time you edge towards a wild lion on foot. I don't think I was frightened but the adrenaline pumping around brings everything into sharp relief and time slows down. A wonderful feeling of being really alive for the first time in my cosseted life. I can't of course speak for the other but that's certainly the way I felt.

The lioness is a known cat particularly to our guide Andy as she featured heavily in the documentary Predators Playground and Andy was the guide for the camera crew so lived onsite and followed the cats for months on end. This cat has the name of Sapi pronounced Sarpee after the river of the same name for those of you that have watched the program. She is now quite an old girl thought to be about 13-14 years and does not look her best but I grew to really appreciate her over the next few days and hope she can carry on for a while yet.

22643806990_519480ea28_b.jpg

As you can see she is quite distinctive by her dark nose and rather battered look.

Edited by Big Andy

We stayed with her for about ten or fifteen minutes then left her in peace to return to our shady spot before we all melted, she of course had settled herself in the shade but we had no such comfort from our vantage point. What a great first hour at Chitake we had and all chatted excitedly about our great experience.

Over the next hour the other animals slowly returned to the stream to continue their daily routine and we thought about what to do next as it cooled. Before any final decision could be made Sapi appeared once again at high speed straight toward a small group of three female Kudu. They ran up the bank to escape but unfortunately for the last one where the path turned at 90 degrees it left it wide open to the assault and down it went in a cloud of dust and dirt tumbling back to the river bed. That set the scene for the rest of the day here and no more decision making needed.

22805796276_b58f753449_b.jpg

22209080314_50bf425e1d_b.jpg

Her dinner was not to go without interruption though, first three Elephant came down the steep bank behind her and they didn't like her being there. Her reaction was to snarl a little then completely ignore them as not worth her notice. That was a bit of a surprise as I had expected some kind of interaction but it was not to be. Due to the fact I was using a 400 mm lens plus 1.4 converter I wasn't able to get any pictures of that part.

Next on the scene were a small herd of about fifteen to twenty Buffalo who also came down the bank from behind her. These did decide to poke their noses in as Buffalo do. You can just see her in the back ground beyond the Buffs.

22413393228_1f15c01536_b.jpg

22209085714_e593723d2c_b.jpg

Her attitude seemed to be well if you want to be desert just come one step closer. looked like they didn't fancy the odds as they to left her and trotted off to the higher reaches of the spring to drink there.

Now a shot taken by Andy the guide of a rather good looking cameraman unable to wipe the grin off his face. :D

22414864997_787034c2b3_b.jpg

I've now tried it the way @@xelas has suggested does this work?

attachicon.gifVR6A1958.jpg

@@offshorebirder I did try it the way you suggest but unfortunately that seems to fail as well, I will look to host them somewhere else in the future to stop this problem but just don't have the time to move thousands of images at the moment.

Interesting that the colours look very muted in that image in comparison to the earlier posting of it

Yes, that is the first photo you've posted I can see in the text! Though you can't tell from my quoting it but I promise I can!

@@Big Andy YES! Can see the leopard in post 59 too and it looks like I am seeing more photos after that one, though I'm still reading through the posts!

Fabulous stuff. I love the second-to-last photo in post 62 with the buffs right in front of the lioness - they are so close to her and she's just looking up warily while continuing to eat - but you can feel the tension! So glad to see the photos in the text now too!

@@Big Andy I'm glad to hear your first safari was such a success! You clearly prepared very well; your pictures demonstrate great photographic skill, and you've clearly selected a great location and guide.

The leopard in post #30 is a winner. The civet in post #47 is also remarkably clear and crisp (and close).

However, special mention must be given to your shot of the lion crouching over her kill as the horns of the buffalo enter the foreground of the frame. I've heard it said that one measure of a good picture is whether it tells a story - by that metric, this is a great picture.

Photos are all working for me from post #59 onwards (though I looked at the others via clicking on the links).

This has come to life with photos appearing. Great! I recognize the lioness from @@michael-ibk's post.

I've watched that ele carcass continue to decay through all the Mana Pool reports. But they can't quite convey the appropriate smell.

Fantastic sightings in Chitake.

@SafariChick @pault @Atravelynn Glad to hear that you can all now see the images in the thread, it's been a frustrating time and I still don't know why some could see them and not others. I've copied these images to flickr and linked from there to solve the problem.

@@Marks Thank you Mark for the kind words, I to feel the eyes in the photo of the Lioness being crowded by the Buffalo are saying something, and a message I would listen to as well if I'd been down there with her.

Hi @@Big Andy,

Great start, beautiful photos (no problem to see them), love your photo of the civet, I am enjoying your TR and look foreward to more.

Say hi to Shirley for me.

Andrew (Andreas)

Hi Andreas, I didn't know you were a member on here as well as Michael. Glad your enjoying the report as I'm enjoying the one about your trip. Shirley sends her best wishes although she doesn't participate in the forum herself.

Think I got it at last, can someone who can't see the earlier images tell if they can see this one please.

I see this one!

Great repprt so far @@Big Andy! Are you the same Big Andy from TP? And the Iceland regular?

Great repprt so far @@Big Andy! Are you the same Big Andy from TP? And the Iceland regular?

Yes that's me Phil, some of the images will appear there as well in the near future.

After all the excitement we decided to move back to camp, the light was starting to go and the guides were not happy with the thought of being out in this area after dark so no chances taken. Camp was a mobile set up from Nature Ways with a small chemical loo attached to the back of the tent for use at night as going outside to the long drop after dark was a big no no and strictly banned. As it got dark the Elephants started to arrive moving along the riverbed right next to us like silent grey galleons. It really is incredible how quite they are and if it wasn't for the odd flash of a torch catching them you wouldn't have realised they were even there 25 foot away.

We could see them further up the river and also saw lion wandering about near them but didn't get any usable images in the dark to show here. The local pride are know to predate Elephants up to the age of about ten years but I'm glad to say this didn't happen when we were there, I'm told it's a long drawn out affair and spine chillingly brutal. The lion are unable to clamp around the throat for their usual killing method so just pin them down and eat them to death which can take many hours, it makes me shudder to even think about it.

That night while lying in my bed the noises from out side were awe inspiring with the local pride roaring not 20yds away and Elephant screaming from all around. You could feel the vibrations in your chest it was that loud/close to us. The rule of don't leave your tent after dark was pointless, there was no way on earth that I would have poked my nose out never mind gone walk about, this really was Africa in the raw and a life's ambition achieved.

Edited by Big Andy

I see this one!

Me too. I couldn't see anything before. Great pictures.

Great photos @@Big Andy - especially the lion facing the buffalo

You describe the feeling of listening to the night noises of Africa so well

Looks really good Andy. Great TR and pictures.

"a life's ambition achieved."

Doesn't get better than that!

Ha! Tremendous lion sighting Andy - and great photo's documenting the event.

You describe perfectly the feeling of approaching wild animals on foot in the bush - excitement, anticipation and the wonderful feeling of being alive.