Safari Virginity --- Gone.

Big Andy

Great shots Andy. Fantastic elephant closeup - you can quite precisely inspect the upper parts of his digestive system from this angle :)

Youngsters playing always a fascinating sighting. And last but not least - senior punk-rocker warthog gave me a good laugh, too.

• 2 weeks later...

@@Big Andy I left this TR when there were issues with images not showing and I've finally got back to it.

Excellent TR and images, fabulous trip with adrenaline charged moments for your first time safari.

• 2 months later...
Game Warden

Now, tell me: I only start seeing the photos in this post. So what have I missed? @@Big Andy have you done a photo resume at the end? I've only just started in on this report...

Thanks to Game Warden for giving me a way of editing this trip report to reinsert some of the earlier images that had got lost due to the hosting site I was using shutting down. I have now rehoused them onto flickr and they should all be showing to all other readers. Or at least they will later tonight when I finish the job. I'll also get on with completing the report as I've been very lazy about that and apologize for my poor etiquette.

Edited by Big Andy

So we were enjoying a last few days lazing around and allowing our old bones to recover a little before returning to civilization. It was a very nice way to end our trip although we were still up and about at the crack of dawn because A we were used to that by now B there was still plenty to see in the early morning light and C I didn't want to waste a minute of it.

The elephants were a non stop procession through out the day and probably the night as well. If the pump was on they would rush over to get at the cleanest fresh cool water with a strict pecking order of large bulls then smaller bulls followed by the cows. The only exception to this were the calves which would push their way through to the front standing among the legs but not being pushed by anyone. The calves mothers would have to either wait for the bulls to leave or drink the warm muddy water from the pool.

A youngster leaves its mother behind and heads straight to the front of the queue.

25514447034_179d33554c_b.jpg

All the usual culprits turned up including a few big old dagga boys who would be drinking from one side of the pool while a group of lions were drinking from the other, you could almost feel the tension in the air as they faced each other off. This went on for about half an hour but nothing happened they just wandered away once their thirst was quenched. With it being the end of the dry season there were plenty of easier targets other than five, in their prime, mean dagger boys so why risk it.

I wouldn't want to upset it so I don't blame the lions for leaving well alone,

22843045611_ac873a436a_b.jpg

22818342412_5474a56fe8_b.jpg

In the lion corner we had three sub adult males, one sub adult female, two full grown females and one full grown male. There may well be other but they didn't show if there were.

22210717393_733a990fa7_b.jpg

22413510607_457125f6e8_b.jpg

I don't know the dynamics of this pride but looking at the way this young male is acting he's pushing his luck with the big fella just the other side of the bushes or it's an odd mix of ages for a coalition. Why am I to stupid to ask about these things while I'm there and have all that knowledge at my disposal.

22805855796_10e02850a3_b.jpg

There were plenty of smaller visitors to the pool as well they just waited for the lions to finish before they turned up. This kudu was checking out my camera giving me a great down the lens stare.

25846979560_3b6113764b_b.jpg

Along with the impala they set a nice peaceful scene with some good reflections.

22643872690_03281acf94_b.jpg

25515059354_e1a5a10ded_b.jpg

25517193663_b18fc2a448_b.jpg

We also had a pair of fish eagles which harried the pair of saddle bills and a heron every time they caught something. I didn't see them succeed in this but when I was changing lenses :rolleyes: one of them caught a dove from a flock that had come to drink.

22209136784_f2e5fdd061_b.jpg

23468867442_dacba02cf0_b.jpg

It was a very good idea to end our trip here, after two days at this pace not only had we had a wonderful time seeing things I'd always dreamed of seeing but it also felt like I was rested like you would hope to be on a more "normal" holiday.

For a last wildlife shot I caught this elephant as he stood in a gap in the trees in the only spot to get the morning light. Then it was off to the airstrip for the start of our journey home.

22439711639_8f6b438690_b.jpg

I'll put another post up shortly with some images of the accommodation.

michael-ibk

Glad to see you continue, Andy! Great Kudu shot.

@@Big Andy What a fabulous report and trip. We did a similar trip, without Kanga but ending at Chikwenya in 2014 and we had such a fabulous time with Doug. We are heading back to Mana with him in Aug 2017, which is an age away, this time adding Hwange and a night in Vic falls. This means we have dropped Chitake which I regret already, but time and funds necessitate. Reading your report brings it all back, thanks so much for sharing.

We had been on safari a few times before plunging into Zim and the private guide abyss - I call it an abyss, because once you go on a private trip you can't escape the need to experience that again. I don't know how you might top this, but it'll be an awful lot of fun trying.

@@Big Andy

Beautiful Kudu shot, and I love the muddy buffalo.

Thanks for a wonderful trip report. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Game Warden

@@Big Andy It was a cracking report, and trip: you've set the bar high for future safaris and got to meet other Safaritalk members as well.

As promised above here are a few shots of Kanga Camp for those that who may consider visiting the area.

The bed in this image was as big as our whole tent on the mobile part of our safari.

23477985731_430cf7906b_b.jpg

And the indoor seating area.

23192479649_33079a4aef_b.jpg

All totally over the top but very nice to spoil our selves at the end as we are not spring chickens any longer.

The outdoor bathroom overlooking the water hole.

25846980200_3afd72acac_b.jpg

While using the shower one afternoon a parade of seven elephants went past just the other side of the bamboo screen close enough for me to touch if I'd been that way inclined and stupid. Another great experience although they didn't seem that impressed with my trunk.

Our private balcony overlooking the water hole.

23264713920_19c9272b94_b.jpg

And one more of the bar/dining area, a lovely relaxing place to while away your time watching the constant stream of animals come and go. The balcony you can glimps in the back ground was our one.

23220168199_991a266603_b.jpg

And last of all an image taken from the plane as we flew back to Harare of Chitake Spring.

25551241624_c7cf31d224_b.jpg

Well I've thoroughly enjoyed reliving my first safari and hope you've all enjoyed it as well, and possibly learned a bit more about life (and death) at Mana Pools. And yes I have booked to go back this October as I'm sure I've only just scratched the surface with plenty more to see and learn about.

Edited by Big Andy

I have enjoyed it! Lovely kudu shot above. Hoping you have a great time in October and return with another report for us.

I've really enjoyed reading this trip report and especially enjoyed the elephant pics. Thank you so much for sharing. What a fantastic time!

~ @@Big Andy

Your assorted wrap-up images are especially nice.

The impala drinking...and their kudu neighbor — delightful.

The African fish eagle image is very fine.

The elephants so near the shower is an eye-opener. Living close to nature on safari!

Thank you so much for posting these.

May your next safari be sooner than you expect.

Tom K.

Glad to see you continue, Andy! Great Kudu shot.

Thank you Michael, I should of finished this a while ago but at least it's done now.

@@Big Andy What a fabulous report and trip. We did a similar trip, without Kanga but ending at Chikwenya in 2014 and we had such a fabulous time with Doug. We are heading back to Mana with him in Aug 2017, which is an age away, this time adding Hwange and a night in Vic falls. This means we have dropped Chitake which I regret already, but time and funds necessitate. Reading your report brings it all back, thanks so much for sharing.

We had been on safari a few times before plunging into Zim and the private guide abyss - I call it an abyss, because once you go on a private trip you can't escape the need to experience that again. I don't know how you might top this, but it'll be an awful lot of fun trying.

Having a fabulous time with Doug is not difficult with his constant banter mixed in with his great knowledge of the bush and it's inhabitants.

We've gone the other way to you and dropped the flood plain to concentrate on Chitake Spring spending a total of thirteen nights in the area. I really loved the wildness of that place and would like to spend more time watching the regulars and understand their daily lives rather than keep moving on, particularly the resident baboon troop. 2017 does sound an awful long time to wait, it's killing me with only six months to go.

@@Big Andy

Beautiful Kudu shot, and I love the muddy buffalo.

Thanks for a wonderful trip report. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Thank you and I'm glad you enjoyed it because I know I did and looking forward to the repeat.

@@Big Andy It was a cracking report, and trip: you've set the bar high for future safaris and got to meet other Safaritalk members as well.

Nothing like a challenge for next time, many people on here and other places have told me that was an exceptional trip although I've never had other trips to compare it to, not yet anyway.

Meeting Michael and Andreas was a bonus to the trip, it was interesting to compare notes on what each group had seen through the day and it's nice to put faces to names on here.

I have enjoyed it! Lovely kudu shot above. Hoping you have a great time in October and return with another report for us.

Glad you enjoyed it and will be only to pleased to have to write another at the end of the year.

I've really enjoyed reading this trip report and especially enjoyed the elephant pics. Thank you so much for sharing. What a fantastic time!

You're right it was a fantastic time, I could of happily stayed there for months if only I could win the lottery.

~ @@Big Andy

Your assorted wrap-up images are especially nice.

The impala drinking...and their kudu neighbor — delightful.

The African fish eagle image is very fine.

The elephants so near the shower is an eye-opener. Living close to nature on safari!

Thank you so much for posting these.

May your next safari be sooner than you expect.

Tom K.

Living close to nature is exactly how it felt, and the next one can't come soon enough although we shouldn't wish our lives away, just be patient although that's not easy.

@Big Andy Yes, 2017 is an awfully long way away :-(

We are keeping everything crossed that two friends can come with us for their one and only trip to Africa. Sadly one of them has been diagnosed Mesothelioma and so this really will be a one-off. I would love to go back to Chitake but we do want our pal to have the chance of seeing Giraffe and maybe Cheetah (although we did actually see a Cheetah in Chitake!). So we have plumped for Vic Falls and Hwange as well as Mana. I have everything crossed they can come with us. I simply couldn't imagine making this trip with anyone other than Doug.

@@ld1 Sorry to hear about your friend's diagnosis and wish them all the best, a safari may not be a cure but it will certainly lift their spirits and be a wonderful experience. You're right that the only problem with Chitake or Mana Pools is not what you see but what you won't see. A cheetah sighting at Chitake is something rare and special, I hope you get the same luck next year with your friends and chosen species.

Thank you @@Big Andy for this beautiful TR and I enjoyed it very much! It was very nice to meet you and Shirley.

• 4 weeks later...

@@Big Andy - what a wonderful TR and superb photo's.

The photo's of SAPI and the female Kudu surrounded by Buffalo's is awesome.

@@Big Andy

Wow that first Carmine Bee-eater shot was definitely worth a repost. Stunning.

The armchair safari also came up trumps for you. Fantastic shots of the wildlife in and around the camp/lodge. That ele shot is superb.

Thank you for finding the time to put a report together of a truly stupendous first safari. I think the word stupendous does it justice but maybe it is somewhat of an understatement.

I am not surprised to read that you have already booked a return visit :)