Lewa Safari Camp superb again June 2016

COSMIC RHINO

michael-ibk

Great to finally see CR photos! :)

It's a miracle!! Photos.in a COSMIC RHINO report!

Thank you Geoff (And @SuperLEEDS). Send him more (if he's feeling generous) @@COSMIC RHINO.It's great to have an illustrated report.

@@douglaswise Glad you are commenting in the tourist sections- or maybe you do and I just haven't noticed. However, someone might imply from your comment that you concur zebras don't commonly eat the top layer of grasses.

Try something like "Actually, so far as I know, zebras commonly eat grass tops; so I am a bit surprised your guide said that." :) If that is what you meant of course -.I don't mean to put words in your mouth.

douglaswise

@pault:

I do read quite a few trip reports, particularly when planning my own trips. While I value these as a resource and often admire the photographs therein, I don't generally think I have anything useful to add. I read the Lewa report with interest because, off and on, I've spent a fair bit of time there.

I'm sorry that you thought my comment could be misconstrued. Below, I will risk boring some of you who probably already know with a longer explanation. Zebras have simple stomachs such that the rate of food passage is not slowed much by grass of high fibre content (generally longer, more mature grass). In fact, because it contains less nutrients, it will tend to be ingested in larger amounts by zebras if nothing else is available. Wildebeest, I think, are essentially short grass grazers (more like sheep) while buffalo tend to resemble cattle and select for lengths of about 8-15cm. Both wildebeest and buffalo are ruminants. This makes them somewhat more efficient than zebras at digesting crude fibre on a percentage basis. However, their huge disadvantage is that, as dietary fibre rises so appetite reduces. (Fibrous food is retained for longer in the rumen and appetite is suppressed when the rumen is full.)

On African savannas, the grass lignifies (becomes less digestible) very quickly in the dry season relative to temperate grass. During the dry season, the vegetation is rarely inadequate in quantity, but, in quality terms, is likely to become so. In such circumstances, ruminant grazers tend to lose condition while single-stomached grazers such as zebras maintain theirs.

offshorebirder

I am also helping @@COSMIC RHINO convert and post his photos.

There is a little loss in quality as CR is scanning prints, emailing them to me as PDFs (Adobe Acrobat files) and I am converting them to JPEG images.

Grevy's Zebras Lewa 2016

gallery_47829_1572_278796.jpg

LEWA 2016 black rhino calf

gallery_47829_1572_208770.jpg

Black Rhino mother calf Lewa 2016

gallery_47829_1572_513038.jpg

White Rhino Mud Wallow

gallery_47829_1572_332538.jpg

White Rhino Mud wallow2

gallery_47829_1572_455157.jpg

White Rhino post Mud wallow scratch

gallery_47829_1572_807092.jpg

Black Rhino Oxpecker Lewa 2016

gallery_47829_1572_61307.jpg

Black Rhino portrait Lewa 2016

gallery_47829_1572_455365.jpg

White Rhino Lewa 2016

gallery_47829_1572_479308.jpg

White Rhino2 Lewa 2016

gallery_47829_1572_509439.jpg

Edited by offshorebirder

COSMIC RHINO

Guides in the places I go to in Sth Africa say that not all things are according to the books that the animals don't read

Please see the above photos with the same black rhino calf walking before and after mum, something not according to the books

I decided to print the Grevy's zebras in sepia, they look great .

@@COSMIC RHINO you have a good eye! the zebras look brilliant in sepia (thanks to @@offshorebirder!); I can't quite get the same effect with my photos

COSMIC RHINO

They have researchers at Lewa , animals do what they will not what is in the latest journal article or report

COSMIC RHINO

I look at scenes at try to make the best of them, animals with scenery, animals coming together, animals in detail

at the camp ,they are well used to the fact that I regard it as a base to get out amongst the animals and bush , not as a place to relax in luxury

no sundowners which is the best thing to do in a place with a premium price in a reserve which does not allow driving after dark

COSMIC RHINO

something seen at Lewa but not elsewhere as far as I know , is starling birds resting on the backs of rhinos to gather the insects which come out of the grass when they walk

there are areas in the reserve which are fenced to keep elephants out as they have a whole lot of bushes that are important to black rhinos

as was specified in her will Anna Merz's house is in the process of being demolished so the bush can reclaim the land on which it was built

all the guides I have had a Lewa safari camp are great Festas,Norman, Leban and now Alex

they understand that my aim is not stay out as long as I can

I tell them what animals I am mainly interested in once and do not need to remind them , they are professionals and I just leave them to get on with it

I have been told that they get some guests who want rushed game drives and return to relax in the luxury of the camp

on one occasion I guest was told that the cheetah could be getting ready to hunt , but they opted to move on

I have been told that some guests ask to see the whole reserve, well it is very large , I see no need to do that, your guide knows where to go ,they are professionals ,know where the animals are likely to be and I leave them get on with things.

buffalos can be easily seen in many areas from the angry old men, to small groups , to large herds

rhinos, elephants and buffalos are relatively easy to find , lions are around but there is not that many of them , cheetahs can be good ,leopards are not seen that often.

one visit I saw 2 leopards way in the distance very briefly, this time I saw one up a tree with a whole lot of branches, leaves and thorns , well it had been seen climb up there , but was not easy to identify when I got there.

lio

Edited by COSMIC RHINO

Super LEEDS

thanks @@pault.... for putting words into my mouth. It's @Super LEEDS by the way. Use the space please.

@@COSMIC RHINO - CR, you've just sent me 9 PDFs. Are any duplicates of what has already been posted by @@offshorebirder? I'll post them anyway.

Lewa 2016 1.pdf

Lewa 2016 2.pdf

Lewa 2016 3.pdf

Lewa 2016 4.pdf

Lewa 2016 5.pdf

Lewa 2015 1.pdf

Lewa 2015 2.pdf

Lewa 2015 3.pdf

Lewa 2015 4.pdf

Edited by Super LEEDS

@@Geoff @@Super LEEDS @@offshorebirder - Thanks for helping with this. It really demonstrates the Safaritalk team spirit.

..........and you have got some really nice images @@COSMIC RHINO Thanks for letting us see them.

@@Game Warden will be delighted

offshorebirder

@@Super LEEDS - your images do not appear to be duplicates of the ones I was sent.

Here are some more images @@COSMIC RHINO has sent me for converting. He has also sent me some photos from Lewa trips in years past. I am not sure if CR wanted the past photos in older Trip Reports or in this one; when I hear back the answer to that question I shall post them in the appropriate TR. A couple of them are at baby Rhino feeding sessions and they are so cute!

Grevy's Zebra, Lewa 2016

gallery_47829_1573_30930.jpg

Grevys portrait Lewa 2016

gallery_47829_1573_46963.jpg

Plains Zebra waterhole Lewa 2016

gallery_47829_1573_296457.jpg

Plains Zebra mother and foal Lewa 2016

gallery_47829_1573_333589.jpg

Scarred Zebra Lewa 2016

gallery_47829_1573_219865.jpg

thanks @@pault.... for putting words into my mouth. It's @@Super LEEDS by the way. Use the space please.

Unforgivable... must be getting senile.

COSMIC RHINO

@@Super LEEDS

no there are no duplicates in the PDF'S

Edited by COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

the don't get the publicity of elephants and rhinos ,but grevy's zebras and reticulated giraffe are both endangered, each are down to around a population of about 2,000

giraffe numbers are down from the combined effect of war,poaching and habitat loss, grevys zebras suffer from the previous skin trade and traditional muti magic. There is an interesting management plan report for Grevy's zebras at the KWS site

Grevy's are different from plains zebras

• they have narrower stripes
  • distinctive shaped ears
  • the sout is brindle
  • they are a whole lot larger, the fully grown male is 900 kg
  • the family structure is different

females live with their young

the males leave after they have gown to adolesence, and form bachelor groups , then compete to occupy a territory with good water sources. Effectively the females must visit water sources when it is dry , so control the water and the males gets to breed.

Lewa is the only area where Grevy's zebras are doing well and increasing in number

COSMIC RHINO

I have been back for a while ,but I am feeling still kocked out , probably from getting back to my unit at 1115 PM then being on the late shift at work

Lewa is such a wonderfull place to be in , a place where wildlife and the land matters , where they respect people who want to be observers and lot just there for the luxury

it feels wonderfull to be in a place like this ,where nature is respected and cared for

it is a very important attitude ,something which brings me back

SafariChick

@@COSMIC RHINO Lovely to see your beautiful photos as well as hear your descriptions in words! Thanks to all who are helping with the posting :)

Super LEEDS

These were uploaded to the SA trip report and are probably meant for here.

@@COSMIC RHINO - CR, if you send anymore, please just make some detailed notes so I can copy them over. Some of the PDFs are not from these trips I think and it would be pertinent for your avid readers ;)

Or on the other hand.......... beggars can't be choosers and we should be happy with images regardless!

1.pdf

2.pdf

3.pdf

COSMIC RHINO

on one morning the territorial male came across to a female white rhino with a view to mating once a subordinate male had moved of

there was a whole lot of excitement

he stayed for a while, then walked away, then came back again

there was a whole lot of noise and excited movement for over 1 hour

he was pressing his case , but the subordinate male was in no hurry to move of

Lewa is wonderful to see when wildflowers are incorporated into the grass

Super LEEDS

@@COSMIC RHINO

CR - tell us about the booking process you use, what rate do you get - any offers fo staying as long as you do, for example?

COSMIC RHINO

the typical stay is 2 or 3 nights

I book through a Nairobi agent, Easygo Safaris , the rate is substantial but there is also a return guest discount.

the operators sometimes, but not always offer discount deals on additional nights

I go for the basic for basic rate which includes accom, game viewing, meals , water, tea and coffee without any other drinks.

I make economies in daily life to stay longer on safari.

Edited by COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

some black rhinos were seen together from time to time ,on one occasion the male displayed his interest in mating

things can come along when you are not expecting them , on the screen of my camera I got the message CARD CANNOT TAKE just as I was near zebras with still brindle calves , I changed the card, then it comes back.

The suggestion from the camp manager who has had it himself , is that there are a few duds coming out of the factory, clean the card gently and it should be ok, if it comes back change the card.

It came back later , and I cleaned it the toilet paper ,the thing the guide could offer straight away. I used it for a while then went to another card.

talking about things later with the publicity photographer at Africa on foot, the message indicates that the card was not properly formatted at the factory, once you get that message it is likely to return.

when I get to officeworks the pictures are on the card , it is lucky that this sort of thing does not happen often.

offshorebirder

Here are some more photos (from a past Lewa visit) that I converted for @@COSMIC RHINO.

White Rhino trio from a prior Lewa visit

gallery_47829_1574_567944.jpg

White Rhino trio, Plains Zebras - Lewa prior visit

gallery_47829_1574_222825.jpg

Black Rhino, Lewa prior visit

gallery_47829_1574_852571.jpg

Black Rhino profile - Lewa prior visit

gallery_47829_1574_287928.jpg

michael-ibk

Really nice photos CR - it´s good to finally see a bit of Lewa. While it is often mentioned few STers have gone there, you are certainly the most stalwart return visitor. I like your enthusiasm about the place, and I certainly understand it.