Migration in full swing up north in Kogatende; Cheetah in the dry dusty Kusini plains in the South ....... River crossings at the Sand River and a lot lot more

madaboutcheetah

Fantastic photos, so many wildebeest! Looks like more than what we saw in the Mara in September! Love the wide shots of the lions with the wildebeest in the backgrounds...really nice separation with that 400 2.8 :) 

Thanks for that Hari I was getting a bit worried. Will report back of course. Pen

madaboutcheetah

Interlude - Cheetahs from Kusini.

My thoughts about Sanctuary Kusini lodge ........ Brilliant location, service and guiding with total flexibility in the game drives!!! 

My personal thoughts - Kusini is the way to go for me when i eventually get back to the Short grass plains during their migration season ...... Emmanuel knows the area inside out!!!! 

Out of season - it was cheetahs with no crowds!!!! and the place to ourselves ..... Brilliant!

kusini1 (1 of 1).jpg

kusini2 (1 of 1).jpg

kusini3 (1 of 1).jpg

kusini4 (1 of 1).jpg

kusini5 (1 of 1).jpg

kusini6 (1 of 1).jpg

kusini7 (1 of 1).jpg

kusini8 (1 of 1).jpg

michael-ibk

I also was wondering if you have forgot about your name - but there they are! ;)

madaboutcheetah

What I loved about Kusini ........ The ability to find cheetah and stay with them in total flexibility 

In the dry season, there seemed to be a healthy population of Gazelle and Impala in the woodland.  Hyena also seems to be a strong competitor in these Kusini plains...... 

We heard Lions in camp every night - but, didn't do any game drives in the woodland as I was keen on cheetah in the plains.

kusini9 (1 of 1).jpg

kusini10 (1 of 1).jpg

kusini11 (1 of 1).jpg

kusini12 (1 of 1).jpg

kusini13 (1 of 1).jpg

kusini14 (1 of 1).jpg

kusini15 (1 of 1).jpg

kusini16 (1 of 1).jpg

kusini17 (1 of 1).jpg

kusini18 (1 of 1).jpg

kusini19 (1 of 1).jpg

kusini20 (1 of 1).jpg

The migration looks amazing. What perfect timing.  Some great photographs of the masses of animals and the final section of the cheetah - just fantastic Thanks Hari

Stunning pictures of the migration, and beautiful photos of the cheetah.

Game Warden

Yes, some of those migration images need to be included in this topic... ;)

madaboutcheetah

Thanks a lot @wilddog @TonyQ and @Game Warden

I'd need to break up all the cheetah images by going back to Kogatende ........ 

sayari53 (1 of 1).jpg

sayari54 (1 of 1).jpg

sayari55 (1 of 1).jpg

sayari56 (1 of 1).jpg

sayari57 (1 of 1).jpg

sayari58 (1 of 1).jpg

sayari59 (1 of 1).jpg

sayari60 (1 of 1).jpg

sayari61 (1 of 1).jpg

sayari62 (1 of 1).jpg

sayari63 (1 of 1).jpg

@madaboutcheetah  You didn't need to break up the cheetah images I think.There was a who;e first page without one. :P

Glad to hear you had such a good trip. Looks like you timed the Tanzania side perfectly and then sent them north to me. I wasn't looking for them this year but I can't say I was that upset the big herds arrived so opportunely - although all that bleating can get a bit monotonous, can't it?. :D 

Lovely, lovely pictures - well done turning the long grass into a positive.

madaboutcheetah

Thanks so much @pault - Look forward to hearing all about your trip and the cheetahs you saw!!!  

Back to the Cheetahs in Kusini here ........ Cheetah on termite mounds is my absolute favourite Photographic moment regardless of where I am - Kwando, Mara or the Serengeti!!!

More about the Kusini Camp -  Wonderful wonderful hosting from Van and Esmeralda.  They go out of the way to ensure that you are well looked after!

My first time at a Sanctuary property, and special mention to what I think is the best camp shower and Camp laundry service that I've ever had in all my travels in Africa.  Also appreciated is the Deet-free "citronella" spray for the Tse Tse flies that they provide....... 

kusini21 (1 of 1).jpg

kusini22 (1 of 1).jpg

kusini23 (1 of 1).jpg

kusini24 (1 of 1).jpg

kusini25 (1 of 1).jpg

kusini26 (1 of 1).jpg

kusini27 (1 of 1).jpg

kusini28 (1 of 1).jpg

kusini29 (1 of 1).jpg

kusini30 (1 of 1).jpg

Game Warden

@madaboutcheetah The images in post #36 really have a Lion King feel to them...

COSMIC RHINO

great trip  and marvellous  photos

madaboutcheetah

Thanks a lot @Game Warden and @COSMIC RHINO

Next bunch of Cheetah Images ........... I have sent images to the "serengeti Cheetah project" for i.d., ...... Will revert when i hear from them.

kusini33 (1 of 1).jpg

kusini34 (1 of 1).jpg

kusini35 (1 of 1).jpg

kusini36 (1 of 1).jpg

kusini37 (1 of 1).jpg

kusini38 (1 of 1).jpg

kusini39 (1 of 1).jpg

kusini40 (1 of 1).jpg

kusini41 (1 of 1).jpg

kusini42 (1 of 1).jpg

kusini43 (1 of 1).jpg

Lovely photos @madaboutcheetah, you really got some great shots of the wildebeest.  We had a really productive day in the Kusini area in February 2016, it's certainly a location I'd want to spend more Ike in sometime.  

Wow on the cheetah pics. you are getting me Mad. About. Cheetahs!

michael-ibk

So say we all!

Absolutely stunning Cheetah images! Can't even pick a favorite, they are all wonderful. Beautiful golden light too. This clearly is the place for the cheetah fixated :)

madaboutcheetah

Thanks a lot for all your kind comments and continued interest in this report ...... Much appreciated!!!!

I just saw very disturbing news from the "Serengeti Cheetah project" on Facebook this morning of a Second cheetah run over by some idiot ..........  Only a couple of months ago there was a report of a cheetah that went down.   Very very tragic - I do hope they get to the bottom of this!

Please check out "Serengeti Cheetah Project" on social media if you are active on it ..... 

michael-ibk

I read that yesterday - very sad, hope they get the culprit.

madaboutcheetah

Back to the Cheetahs of course ....... Yet another segment featuring them.

kusini44 (1 of 1).jpg

kusini45 (1 of 1).jpg

kusini46 (1 of 1).jpg

kusini47 (1 of 1).jpg

kusini48 (1 of 1).jpg

kusini49 (1 of 1).jpg

kusini50 (1 of 1).jpg

kusini51 (1 of 1).jpg

kusini52 (1 of 1).jpg

kusini53 (1 of 1).jpg

Just catching up with your trip, Hari. Great shots of the Gnus and lions in the tall grass. Evocative crossing shots without the crowds in the Mara and of course your signature cheetah photographs. Tanzania came through for you.

Thanks for sharing. 

I will never get enough of your cheetah photos. Second to none!