Migration in full swing up north in Kogatende; Cheetah in the dry dusty Kusini plains in the South ....... River crossings at the Sand River and a lot lot more

madaboutcheetah

madaboutcheetah

For those interested, the Serengeti Cheetah Project has sent me the i.d., of these 4 Cheetah; they have recently split off from their mother 3810FC1 (her first litter this) and she is the daughter of the famous Eleanor.

The cubs were born in the Namiri area in January last year around the Zebra kopjes ........ they have also spent a significant time in Ndutu more recently before moving over to the Kusini plains.

kusini65 (1 of 1).jpg

kusini66 (1 of 1).jpg

we were in kusini during the 'high' season in Feb and there were other cars but really not many and the cheetah viewing was terrific, among everything else!  Over by ndutu the traffic was considerably higher.  terrific pics and report

• 4 weeks later...
africaaddict

Just catching this now Hari, well done, particularly the lighting conditions/clear skies.

....food for thought for next year perhaps and in complete contrast to my very, very quiet Mana & Hwange at the same time. :rolleyes:

Good to see Kusini with some grass after the desert like drought conditions just a few months before.;)

Cheers

Marc

madaboutcheetah

Marc, I think we got lucky that the migration hit kogatende early this year - but, the advantage of going early is complete lack of visitors.

africaaddict
5 hours ago, madaboutcheetah said:

Marc, I think we got lucky that the migration hit kogatende early this year - but, the advantage of going early is complete lack of visitors.

Yes very early and very lucky indeed and you made the most of it, this was unusual for sure, but I'm finding that over the last decade normal migration patterns have been far from "normal" :lol:

On 8/10/2017 at 8:15 PM, madaboutcheetah said:

I'm going to the Northern Serengeti - Mara area in Late September.  Do you think the migration will still be happening then?

madaboutcheetah
9 minutes ago, Steven NY said:

I'm going to the Northern Serengeti - Mara area in Late September.  Do you think the migration will still be happening then?

You should be able to catch up with the migration ..... 

• 3 weeks later...

Great cheetah action along with everything else.

You went north first, then to Kusini, is that right?

How did you get between Kogatende and Kusini?

Now I am putting the cheetahs and logistics together in your report.

madaboutcheetah

@atravelynn - Hi Lynn........ Yes, that's correct.  Coastal flight from Dar es Salaam to Kogatende (fast service)

After the Northern Serengeti ..... Direct flight from Kogatende to Serengeti Kusini airstrip (not to be confused with the Ndutu airstrip) .......  It was a short flight.

12 hours ago, madaboutcheetah said:

@atravelynn - Hi Lynn........ Yes, that's correct.  Coastal flight from Dar es Salaam to Kogatende (fast service)

After the Northern Serengeti ..... Direct flight from Kogatende to Serengeti Kusini airstrip (not to be confused with the Ndutu airstrip) .......  It was a short flight.  Does this flight go both ways?  I assume it would.

madaboutcheetah
7 hours ago, Atravelynn said:

7 hours ago, Atravelynn said:

Yes, Lynn .....  

• 3 months later...