PC's Better year

Peter Connan

212) Green-backed Heron

Groenrugreier Butorides striatus

GreenbackODP.thumb.jpg.acd05e05796519e53ce4594d39bbaac6.jpg

3 December, Rietvlei.

Dave Williams

You, unlike me have put quality over quantity!

Thank you very much @Dave Williams, but the majority of your shots are truly stunning.

Actually, focusing on only posting quality shots has had less of an effect on the numbers than I initially anticipated. The current list of EBC's is only 6 birds long...

Having sayd that, in amongst those six are a totally unexpected sighting of a Yellow-billed Kite flying over my neighbourhood, only the second recorded sighting of Long-crested Eagle over the Roodepoort Botanical Gardens (in company with a juvenile Black Eagle) and a massive flock of Storks (I think White, but the photos are so bad even I am struggling to positively identify them...

Edited by Peter Connan

213) Red-faced Mousebird

Rooiwangmuisvoel Urocolius indicus

RedfaceODP.jpg.98eacb56c13cd7af27950f0023c41f43.jpg

8 December, at home, Kempton Park.

214) Black-shouldered Kite

Blouvalk Elanus caeruleus

This is one of those birds. Fairly common just a few kilometers from where I live, I frequently see them perched on telephone lines along the roads when visiting friends in Centurion, but almost never when I have a camera and a bit of time. So several times, I specifically went hunting them.

Kite3ODP.jpg.aec7c3a8a8f0973f1abcde877b804a7f.jpg

A couple of days later, I swung by the Bonaero Park Dam, and found another one, this time eating something (perhaps a Lapwing chick judging by the leg). No chance of getting closer though, that whole area is a bog after the rains we have had recently, and I was on my way to work (clean clothes and all...).

Kite2ODP.jpg.812341472051d57f873cbc31d67e6b26.jpg

Kite1ODP.jpg.6bd073b99b3bd325a9a5af88e8966fd4.jpg

9 & 12 December, Kempton Park

On the 10th of December, I went to Walter Sisulu Botanical Gardens in Roodepoort to try and photograph the Verraux's Eagle aggression-phase once again.

This time, we did see the eagles, and one incedent of aggression, but it was very far away. We also saw the young eagle repeatedly try his luck at catching a Mountain Reedbuck, somethin his parents wouldn't even attempt. I must have a picture somewhere but am struggling to find it among 800 others...

BA1ODP.jpg.38ccc25d9c9c448d93b034402efb2a9f.jpg 

Aggro1ODP.thumb.jpg.d316d0bd6985dd157e0731822b584f5b.jpg

We also saw Long-crested Eagle, only the second recorded sighting of this bird in the area, and am including a photo here for interest, but not claiming it as part of the count as the photo is not up to standard. Seen here in company with the juvenile Verraux's Eagle

FriendsODP.thumb.jpg.38dd60dcb00f601f5e5e3de3ca7c5628.jpg

Edited by Peter Connan

But while we were standing up there waiting for the eagles, I did get another one of those birds. The ones that are so common right up to the moment when you pick up a camera.

215) Rock Dove

Tuinduif

Columba livia

RockDoveODP-2.jpg.8605a9292cea4c4515b4737d712001d6.jpg

RockDoveODP.jpg.1e493ea2cea221ecfb5add73fc925842.jpg

10 December, Walter Sisulu National botanical Gardens.

When the light becasme really harsh, we went down to the restaurant for lunch and a discussion on shooting BIF, which then meandered past camping and destinations... Then we decided to have a quick look at the hide.

Arriving at the hide there was nothing of interest, but 5 minutes later it started drizzling. We were just agreeing that it would probably not amount to real rain when it did, and kept on for about an hour. Somewhere in the middle, this guy arrived:

216) Giant Kingfisher

Reusevisvanger Megaceryle maxima

Giant1ODP.jpg.eafae8c5f8349049cc8dab9ec9992c65.jpg

Giant2ODP.jpg.9416075f2787db7cd51338369f1f313d.jpg

Giant3ODP.jpg.8ec18f6a3260d8f77f779387f392961f.jpg

10 December, Walter Sisulu National Botanical Gardens, Roodepoort

I like the first photo a lot! Slower speed worked same magic on rain drops as (much slower) makes it on your star trails photos!

Dave Williams

Agreed! Cracking bird.

Thank you very much @xelas, @TonyQ@PeterHG and @Dave Williams for your kind comments.

This was going to be my last bird, but fortunately I went to Marievale again this past Sunday...

Dave Williams

How many of the shots are from South Africa Peter? I wonder who has the highest single country tally?

This becomes tricky @Dave Williams. At this stage, 131. But a number (probably most) of those birds were also seen in SA, but I have not been trying to keep tally of those...

As mentioned a couple of posts ago, I revisited Marievale on Sunday the 17th. 

Driving up to the gate: Red-billed Quelea (already counted, No 126)...

5a39d79c2b0f6_QueleaDawnODP.jpg.c8a0e0f5a200c5f307acdcc5ea73362a.jpg

Later on...

217) Fan-tailed Widowbird

Kortstertflap Euplectes axillaris

FantailODP.jpg.b7fd3d48b82ad34998ae50d394f39009.jpg

FantailODP-2.jpg.c7e71219fb1c17aabfac41d9332f4977.jpg

I love that Quelea photo, @Peter Connan! (I see you're going for the 'greatest number in one shot' award ;))

Thank you @PeterHG. Just one of those magical moments one has to try and capture!

7 hours ago, PeterHG said:

I love that Quelea photo, @Peter Connan! (I see you're going for the 'greatest number in one shot' award ;)

So do I? I have a similar one.

Also Tempy web access. at about 1mb per day. Cannot help with the Sabota saga at the moment. Will try later.

Thanks @Galana

I had hoped that saga was concluded, but there may well be a few new iffy ID's here soon...

218) Yellow-crowned Bishop

Goudgeelvink Euplectes afer

YellowCrownODP.jpg.e039c2d9ee6f54b0e29ceddfde787c0e.jpg

YellowCrownODP-2.thumb.jpg.ab6449ccb8358fd82d3f231c47528c0a.jpg

17 December, Marievale

Right, with eyes closed and fingers and toes crossed:

219) Ruff

Kemphaan Philomachus pugnax

RuffODP.jpg.7679f6d964f463a1babb6d1a06bc59c2.jpg

17 December, Marievale

Dave Williams

One of the species that change from absolutely stunning to plain as can be in non breeding plumage. I'd love to witness a Ruff Lek one day ( seen a few roughnecks in my time though!)