Michael´s Third Year

michael-ibk

Snowfinch and Wallcreeper, @michael-ibk ! Excellent pictures as well. Yes, they would be high on any birder's list, so also on mine...

On 6/16/2018 at 1:33 AM, michael-ibk said:

Here with some Little Stints. (Yes, I know, what an incredibly beautiful, tidy and idyllic place. ;))

I hope its not "Birders" doing that. The White Tailed Eagle is majestic indeed, and the Stone Curlew is bird Id never thought about in Europe. A "bridge camera", how liberating for you 

michael-ibk

Well it seems I cannot find the time to get some new ones before Costa Rica so I have to dig into the archives.

297/E182.) Carrion Crow (Corvus corone) / Rabenkrähe

Chiemsee, 14/02. Our common Crow. Just a few 100kms to the East this species is disappearing and replaced by the Hooded Crow (which we don´t have in the Alps).

large.1680205765_Chiemsee_99_Rabenkrhe.J

Edited by michael-ibk

michael-ibk

-/E183.) House Sparrow (Passer domesticus) / Haussperling

298/E184.) Italian Sparrow (Passer italiae) / Italiensperling

Voracious little monsters, they eat most of my bird food.

large.Fulpmes_3.JPG.4f68b2886de6c32c911c

large.Fulpmes_13_Haussperling.JPG.2c7b21

The classic Sparrow, with greyish cheeks and cap.

In Italy this species is replaced by the Italian Sparrow. Its classification as a good species is still somewhat controversial but I´m going with my bird book (The Svensson) and Wiki here. From Kalterer See, February. White cheeks and brown cap.

large.1320880489_KaltererSee_5_Italiensp

Females and juveniles from both species look the same.

large.Fulpmes_10_Haussperling.JPG.0b77aa

large.Fulpmes_11_Feldsperling.JPG.1b6280

The two species are known to hybridise in Northern Italy. This is not a common thing to happen in Austria but my balcony Sparrows apparently don´t know that - we do have quite a few which look decidedly more Italian than Common - and obviously they are very caring dads:

large.Fulpmes_23_Italiensperling.JPG.9ad

large.Fulpmes_18_Italiensperling.JPG.9b8

large.Fulpmes_20_Italiensperling.JPG.2b0

large.Fulpmes_26_Italiensperling.JPG.704

And just to test if you are paying attention dear colleagues - one bird in this post is not quite right - why?:)

Edited by michael-ibk

michael-ibk

299/E185.) Greenfinch (Chloris chloris) / Grünling

Another balcony bird. Although they are in the garden all year they do not frequent the feeders in winter which is still puzzling me. I can only assume that the place looks too open and coverless for them with the nearby trees all leafless.

large.1251089202_Fulpmes_6_Grnling.JPG.8

large.178393642_Fulpmes_2_Grnling.JPG.97

large.2039096611_GrnlingFulpmes.JPG.0f1d

michael-ibk

300/E186.) European Bee-Eater (Merops apiaster) / Bienenfresser

Dobruja, early May. Well, I had to save a good one for this post. B)

large.Dobrudscha_389_Bienenfresser.JPG.3

large.Dobrudscha_364_Bienenfresser.JPG.5

large.Dobrudscha_394_Bienenfresser.JPG.f

large.Macin_56_Bienenfresser.JPG.877beac

large.Dobrudscha_567_Bienenfresser.JPG.3

large.Dobrudscha_574_Bienenfresser.JPG.a

large.Dobrudscha_395_Bienenfresser.JPG.5

Edited by michael-ibk

300 up. It had to come and what a great bird to do it with. Congratulations.

and at least one of us is paying attention.

35 minutes ago, michael-ibk said:

one bird in this post is not quite right - why?:)

Because it is a hybrid x Tree Sparrow. (The 'male' below the female in the pair.)

As for 'counting' Passer domesticus italiae you can rest assured that I will when in Italy later this year so it is open season for you!;)

Peter Connan

Indeed. And a lovely bird to do it with too!

Dave Williams

Italian Sparrow.... never heard of it, there will soon be a Slovenian too one methinks!

European is my favourite of the Bee-eaters.

Excellent collection of shots , well done on 300!

Congrats on reaching 300, and with a cracking series of Bee-eaters, too!  

Congratulations to #300, Michael! And what a splendid photos of already colourful bird!! Now you are ready to count next 200+ birds!

Very well done on reaching 300 birds and a beautiful Bee eater to do it with.

Adrian and I were very pleased to be able to meet up with @michael-ibk, @AndMic, @TonyQ and @Thursday's Child in London for a really enjoyable GTG and lunch.

Congratulations on reaching 300, and what a magnificent series of photos of this beautiful bird.

Onwards to Costa Rica!

What a beautiful bird for the 300th - congrats on hitting the magic 300. So many of them in that bush - i am so envious.

have a great trip to Costa Rica, all four of you!

On 7/8/2018 at 12:10 PM, Dave Williams said:

there will soon be a Slovenian too one methinks!

I would not put anything past him.:P

12 hours ago, Galana said:

I would not put anything past him.:P

Never heard of any bird being a Slovenian. Maybe you are confusing with Slovakian :huh:?!

But I will peel my eyes to find a white-cheek / brown cap sparrow when in Italy next time :).

Edited by xelas

5 hours ago, xelas said:

Never heard of any bird being a Slovenian.

We have. Although Slavonian is how we spell it. Podiceps auritus

780459924_1-Scotland2017377.JPG.d25d64aff1fea3cb8dbc3ea7bfbd106f.JPG

However we do anticipate a Sparrow but not with such an outrageous Trump hairstyle.

michael-ibk
On 7/8/2018 at 12:36 PM, Galana said:

Because it is a hybrid x Tree Sparrow. (The 'male' below the female in the pair.)

Oh? I thought it´s just a juvenile Tree Sparrow?

And thank you everybody, hoping to get a couple more to add in Costa Rica very soon now!

2 hours ago, Galana said:

We have. Although Slavonian is how we spell it.

Slovenian - Slavonian - Slovakian .... they all sounds close but are not :). More about them face-to-face with a bottle of Laško, a Slovenian beer :D

3 hours ago, xelas said:

they all sounds close but are not :)

True! A letter can make such a difference but at least I am not as bad as George DubYa as I was at least close. I look forward to the beers when I can help you with the difference between Scots, Scottish and Scotch.:P

Good luck to you both in CR.

1 hour ago, Galana said:

I look forward to the beers when I can help you with the difference between Scots, Scottish and Scotch.

As @Michael-ibk is busy with preparing luggage for upcoming trip, we could hijack his thread for a moment. On top of Scots, Scottish and Scotch, a lesson on whisky and whiskey (hopefully with samples ;)) would be an interesting one!

15 hours ago, xelas said:

a lesson on whisky and whiskey (hopefully with samples ;)) would be an interesting one!

The first part will only take a couple of minutes, the 2nd might take all night but if you are paying I can find the time.:P do you see my tongue hanging out?

19 hours ago, Galana said:

The first part will only take a couple of minutes, the 2nd might take all night but if you are paying I can find the time.:P do you see my tongue hanging out?

As I have a pit viper living in my wallet a bottle of malt will be brought to the meeting :D

15 hours ago, xelas said:

As I have a pit viper living in my wallet

Well at least we know you have a wallet. I was more worried about that than finding the Pit Viper.;)