PeterHG's Big Year-4th time

PeterHG

It's good to see quite a few of us have already started the 2019 Big Year. Let me join you and let's have as much fun as last year in seeing each other's contributions from all over the world.

1. Golden Plover. Arkemheen, 1 January. There are hundreds of them at the moment and they'll probably stay till temperatures will fall below zero again

i-32qfXtk-L.jpg

2. Ruff. Arkemheen 1 January. I can't wait for the males to pass through our country later in the year.

i-FM5X9RC-XL.jpg

3. Curlew. Arkemheen, 1 January

i-4WS5dgQ-XL.jpg

4. Dunlin. Arkemheen, 1 January. Quite unusual to see a Dunlin in the meadows here, although there were enough muddy patches for them to feed on.

i-QqXhT9K-XL.jpg

5. Hen Harrier. Flevoland 3 January. A bit distant, but who's complaining seeing this raptor on the third day of the year!

i-ng2B2kp-L.jpg

Excellent start - glad to see you onboard again!

That's the spirit, getting out collecting on January 1st, well done!

15 hours ago, PeterHG said:

A bit distant, but who's complaining seeing this raptor on the third day of the year!

Or on the first day :). Looks like this will be another great Big Year for you, @PeterHG

21 hours ago, PeterHG said:

5. Hen Harrier. Flevoland 3 January. A bit distant, but who's complaining seeing this raptor on the third day of the year!

I certainly wouldn't be  -  beautiful bird!

6. Mute Swan. Flevoland, 3 January.

i-fQRHFCK-X2.jpg

7. Whooper Swan. Flevoland, 3 January. A few were present but they kept their distance much more than their mute cousins

i-XtKJ2pw-XL.jpg

8. Smew. Flevoland, 3 January. Two females.

i-ScMGcFj-XL.jpg

9. Goldeneye. Flevoland, 3 January. I do hope I'll get a better one, but they'll probably be gone when we return from our trip late February. 

i-KBdGZCQ-L.jpg

10. Northern Shoveler. Flevoland, 3 January.

i-vzhnFhL-XL.jpg

Lots of wildfowl in Holland. Only ever seen one Smew in IOM.

you have been busy.

Lovely start Peter!

Still more winter guests from the trip to Flevoland.

11. Redwing. Flevoland, 3 January. Although numbers are decreasing it is still a regular and sometimes abundant winter visitor to our country. I missed it last year, though.

i-7WZD78t-L.jpg

12. Fieldfare. Flevoland, 3 January. Even more numerous than the Redwing in winter. We used to have almost one hundred breeding pairs in the 70s and 80s, but we've only got 5 or 6 left.

i-2PjZRDD-L.jpg

I was trying to get some shots of Fieldfares that were flying from some bushes on the right into the trees on the left-hand side of the road, when I spotted a little bird flying across. I managed to get focus on the bird just in time and to my amazement, when I looked at the display, I had caught a flight shot of the Goldcrest, Europe's smallest bird. Ultimate proof that both camera and lens focus very fast. It is not really a great shot as I had to crop quite a lot, but I'm more than happy with this.

13. Goldcrest. Flevoland, 3 January 2019

i-ftCjRB8-L.jpg

14. Long-tailed Tit. Flevoland, 3 January. Quite common, but why do they never sit still for more than half a second?

i-HkcgkSX-L.jpg

15. Carrion Crow. Flevoland, 3 January. Okay, we got that one out of the way already ;)

i-wBvsK9H-L.jpg

beautiful start to the 2019. gosh you guys are out fast and furious in the first few days of the year!

Dave Williams

Great start Peter.... and Happy birthday too:D

2 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

Great start Peter.... and Happy birthday too:D

Ah, caught out! Thanks, Dave

I don't think I have seen a shot of a Goldcrest in flight before- it is such a tiny bird. Well done.