TonyQ's Big Year: Number 4

TonyQ

What an amazing total and what a beautiful Kenya collection!

Dave Williams

Very impressive score for Kenya Tony, what proportion ( roughly!) were taken when not in a vehicle?

A fantastic achievement Tony, congratulations! I had not realized Amboseli is such an excellent birding destination.

@Peter Connan thank you

@Tdgraves  thank you. The only pressure is to enjoy yourself in Kenya!

@PeterHG thank you

@Dave Williams thank you. Just looking through, about 40 were taken out of a vehicle. About half of these were taken at breakfast stops (we had a bush breakfast almost every day where you take breakfast with you and set up and take a break at a good spot) The other half were taken around the camps, usually during the mid day break. The rest from vehicles - but this is much easier than your task in SA. We were not driving, and the vehicles are all open at the sides (with the exception of Nairobi NP) where hey had large open windows. The Nairobi and Kicheche vehicles have open roofs so you can stand up and look out - useful if birds are in trees or bushes. The Porini vehicle had a canvas roof but no sides at all to the vehicle.

@michael-ibk thank you. Yes Amboseli is a good birding site, and gives a number of different birds to the Mara region. Selenkay was very dry, mostly bush and scrub. Amboseli NP was largely dry with a wetland in the middle which was a great place to watch birds.

Edited by TonyQ

What a trip and really consistently good photography 

such a great haul, and with excellent photos to admire too. 

• 5 weeks later...

A very impressive total of birds from Kenya, Tony.

• 3 weeks later...
Dave Williams

Happy New Year Tony. Your BY ended with as much of a rush as mine or did it? Have you a secret stash to unleash at the death and leap in to the lead!!!!!!

@Galana @lmSA84 @Kitsafari @Zim Girl thank you for your support

@Dave Williams  Happy New Year to you as well (and all BIg Year Participants)

I thought I would save the big push until now....

UK107. Black-tailed Godwit  Limosa limosa  

Already seen in Iceland

1199673608_Black-tailedGodwituk-1.jpg.417621ef92d68b04fcfae7db3005899f.jpg

Upton Warren, Worcestershire           17.07.2019

Yes, I checked through the files to see if I had missed anything - and this was it. Doesn't add to the overall total but does move the UK total forward very slightly!

Very pleased with the total - far more than I ever expected at 551.

The UK total of 107 - the lowest of my 4 Big Years, but I suppose there is a trade off!

However the main thing is it has been fun seeing the birds for my thread and following the threads of all the other participants

Always a pleasure to follow your Big Year Tony and Sheila, thank you for sharing all your sightings - and great photos - with us. See you in the BY 2020 hopefully? 

An impressive score and a well deserved silver! You have presented us with a great number of beautiful photographs and I do hope to see you contributions again in this year's thread. Happy New Year!

Peter Connan

Thank you for another great Big Year, and a very happy new year!

Very impressive numbers Tony and always enjoy your photography.

Happy New Year!

Happy New Year and congrats on fantastic 2019 BY 

a belated Congrats to your 2019 BY score  - we have thoroughly enjoyed your stunning photos and following your 2019 BY. 

Well done on the final score. Very impressive.