Better late than never - Porini Camps October 2018

wilddog

Hi @Galago thanks for sticking with it.

In the Porini conservancies 2 at a sighting only I think. Usually we were mostly on our own. How they manage that I do not know as there are at least 3 vehicles in camp. 

In the Mara itself.. That is a different story. There were probably 8 vehicles at the Cheetah cub sighting. 

Edited by wilddog

Thanks for geþing back to me, good to know. And Happy New Year!

• 3 weeks later...

Loved your report @wilddog.  I am looking at Porini now.  Can you please advise what their maximum no of people is in the vehicles - I can't seem to find it on their website.  We will likely be a group of 6 and I'm hoping that would entitle us to a private vehicle without the supplement. Thanks Sharon 

@shazdwn 

I ask about the vehicles before booking with porini and Wayne from Game Watchers told me each vehicle can have up to 6 people, seating is 3 rows of 2, so i would assume your group would get its own car. 

Refox is correct. 6 to a vehicle and  camp manager will automatically put you all together. 

If you are only 5 they may add someone else if all the vehicles are full and they have a single traveller but I think that is unlikely. 

I am sure you will all have a great time @shazdwn

Finally had a chance to catch up with some threads, and you had a wonderful Mara outing with Porini. It reinforces my thinking that the next time I'm in OMC, i'll give Porini a go  (still Serian for me in MNC though!)

@wilddog - sorry to bombard you with questions - but the friends we are travelling with have just advised that their 'must haves' are hot showers and mosquito nets.  I'm considering Porini Amboselli, Porini Mara and Porini Lion.  Did they have these?  

@shazdwn hot bucket showers as required. Absolute bliss :)

Re mosquitoes the tents are large with mosquito proof windows and door flaps. The staff can also lower the tarpaulin flaps at night. No mosquito nets around the beds themselves. Personally had no issue with mosquitoes in the tents. As long as flaps are closed at dusk. 

It is also wise to keep the net flaps closed at all times. There may be marauding monkeys around. 

More importantly your friends should  ensure they follow advice regarding any prophylaxis and use spray or something on ankles etc around the camp fire etc. Totally avoiding the odd mosquitoe bite is almost impossible particularly at dawn and dusk if their is any moisture around.

I hope their anxieties on this matter will not spoil their holiday. 

Malaria in tourists is pretty rare if advice is followed. 

@wilddog thanks for your supply. I think this info will help 

Sorry reply, not supply 🤦🏻‍♀️

• 1 month later...
On 4/28/2019 at 5:43 AM, wilddog said:

DSC08759.JPG.848bccb6608822e000ee28cc8e3c7d82.JPG

DSC08769.JPG.54c75c9b281aa70609bab6ed5e3283db.JPG

DSC08786.JPG.4e41bcd209d403a305a635ad2dc613ac.JPG

DSC08806.JPG.b0fbf7c6032f405c6481d55ae24c58d9.JPG

DSC08812.JPG.0dd3483d177c654d55b7469bbaace348.JPG

DSC08818.JPG.86b4ea5fc07baddf9a65b88fdf125444.JPG

I am so happy to see some nice photos of Osidai. He is the son of Tito, and has become quite a favorite young male leopard. I will be staying at Lion myself during the second half of my trip and I hope it is as exciting as yours has been.

@wilddogIf it is alright, I would like to use some of these for his album in my Facebook group, a few of these shots are fabulous for identification purposes. You have both sides of his whisker pattern, as well as some nice body images to help with pattern recognition.

Edited by Lyss