94. African Hoopoe - Upupa africana

Ndutu, Tanzania. Feb 2019

African Hoopoe

95. Bateleur - Terathopius ecaudatus

Bateleurs - pair

96. Yellow-fronted Canary - Serinus mozambicus 

Ndutu, Tanzania. feb 2019

I was reasonably comfortable with my ID on this one, but the distribution map suggests I may be wrong.

Yellow-fronted Canary

97. Bearded Woodpecker - Dendropicus namaquus

bearded-woodpecker.jpg.b452ce78366e0b223d6ceceb2cbd2fee.jpg

98. Blue-capped Cordon Bleu - Uraeginthus cyanocephalus

Blue-capped Cordon Bleu

99. Laughing Dove - Streptopelia senegalensis

Laughing Dove

Well, that's it for Tanzania. Not quite 100, but close. I guess I could make it to 100, but I promised myself that this year I would try to avoid posting pictures just to make the numbers.

I'm not concerned though as I'm off to Zim next week and I have a trip to India in November and am confident I'll at least get to 100.

12 minutes ago, Soukous said:

am confident I'll at least get to 100

Really ?! And I am confident that we will see #200, #300 and probably also #400, in UHD quality :o!

2 hours ago, Soukous said:

I really must get it into my head that the illustrations in field guides are not exact, but usually have features exaggerated. I was looking for a much more distinctive malar stripe and cheek patch.

Looking more closely at the two birds I now notice that the tail barring is also quite different. 

Thank you, as always, for the education. It is much appreciated.

I could not agree more. Some of the illustrations in some books  look like flights of fancy when we see the actual bird. The subject here is a young bird so the distinctive bits are still emerging. I ignored the tail bars as I felt I had done enough and they were not all that clear..

Illustrations:- I would quote as an example 'Francolins'. When I saw your Coqui I gasped! With all those head markings I thought I was looking at Shelley's/Moorland or one of those heavily marked faces and necks.  But the illustrations of most Francolins and Spurfowl in both S&F and Sinclair are appalling. Your Coqui is a prime example. The female, do they crow? has similar head markings but the chest and breast should be buff/brown and yours is nicely marked greys. Then you read the bumph and races and have to shrug. It's a wonder we get any of em right!

You may be relieved to know I agree with your Yellow-fronted Canary. :lol:Books!

But your d'arnauds is IMO an Usambiro. d'arnauds have pink bills and Usambiro are dark grey/black and the head has a greenish tinge.

And to stop on 99. Is that allowed?

Enjoy your trip to Zim and elsewhere. Your 200 is assured and we look for even more.

6 minutes ago, Galana said:

But your d'arnauds is IMO an Usambiro. d'arnauds have pink bills and Usambiro are dark grey/black and the head has a greenish tinge.

Enjoy your trip to Zim and elsewhere. Your 200 is assured and we look for even more.

Usambiro? Cool. I've never knowingly seen one of those before. Got plenty of d'Arnaud's though, so very happy for that to be corrected. :D

20 minutes ago, xelas said:

Really ?! And I am confident that we will see #200, #300 and probably also #400, in UHD quality :o!

Too kind Alex, but unlikely to happen. I am sure that many of the birds i see in Zim will be repeats of what I saw in Tanzania. 

India could be exciting though.

4 minutes ago, Soukous said:

Usambiro? Cool. I've never knowingly seen one of those before

Another case of the 'splitters' running amok. d'Arnauds has so many races that I think they split off Usambiro to make room on the page! Very limited range and more or less an endemic of the Serengeti.

18 minutes ago, Galana said:

When I saw your Coqui I gasped! With all those head markings I thought I was looking at Shelley's/Moorland or one of those heavily marked faces and necks.  But the illustrations of most Francolins and Spurfowl in both S&F and Sinclair are appalling. Your Coqui is a prime example. The female, do they crow? has similar head markings but the chest and breast should be buff/brown and yours is nicely marked greys. Then you read the bumph and races and have to shrug. It's a wonder we get any of em right!

but it is a Coqui ??

20 minutes ago, Galana said:

Not planned, I can assure you. Although on checking through my posts, I see that it should in fact be only 98. I have posted the Grey-backed Fiscal twice. Posts 19 & 24. :wacko:

Edited by Soukous

I was so sure the 100 was coming up. I have enjoyed your fine photos and beautiful birds.

26 minutes ago, TonyQ said:

I was so sure the 100 was coming up. I have enjoyed your fine photos and beautiful birds.

for a while I too thought I might make it, but I ran out of puff. :(

I was so disappointed to find myself down to 98 that I scoured my library for anything I might have missed. And found this, which I think is a Grey Woodpecker. 

99. Grey Woodpecker - Dendropicos goertae

grey-woodpecker

Aah. Back up to 99. :rolleyes:

Martin, if you are in Africa now, one look through your window will get you the #100 easily :D

10 hours ago, Soukous said:

but it is a Coqui ??

Oh yes! Well..........:unsure: as near as dammit.

14 hours ago, xelas said:

Martin, if you are in Africa now, one look through your window will get you the #100 easily :D

If I was in Africa now I would not be posting my friend, or even sat behind a computer at all. :rolleyes:

and if I'm completely honest, I could get over the 100 with what I have on file at the moment, but they are rather boring birds and not very good shots. I know I'll see them again and I am sure I can get better shots. B)

Edited by Soukous

100. Malachite Sunbird - Nectarinia famosa

Klein Karoo, South Africa. March 2019

My March trip to the Klein Karoo was not nearly as fruitful as my trip the previous November. I saw far fewer birds and managed to get ill for almost a week so it was a wee bit crap.

This one had me guessing for a while as the plumage is not at all what I am used to seeing. 

Nevertheless, it is a male Malachite Sunbird showing its eclipse or non-breeding plumage.

Malachite Sunbird

Malachite Sunbird

so there you have it. Number 100. 

michael-ibk

Sorry to read about your illness but congratulations on #100. Lots of beautiful photos in your thread, have been enjoying it a lot!

• wilddog changed the title to What will almost certainly be a quiet little year - Soukous 2019