BY 2019 - Racing to the finish

pedro maia

2 hours ago, pedro maia said:

That was a Scarlett O’Hara momment B).

Not forgetting Rhett Butler's own exit line.

And of course the work involved by @pedro maia scorekeeping is admirable.

Edited by Galana
Additional text.

2 hours ago, Galana said:

And of course the work involved by @pedro maia scorekeeping is admirable.

You say that because you missed the momment when @Tdgraves had a healthy lead with 4261 birds :P.

@pedro maiaThanks for the update! 

I've had a productive birding day in Kuala Lumpur last week and have a birding day coming up south of Thailand,  plus a chiangmai trip in December.  

But ive got my eyes glued on @TonyQ 's swift race to close up on @michael-ibk's lead. Will he or will he not???? Oh the suspense!

@pedro maia  thanks for keeping score. Week after next I will be in Israel on vacation and will have a couple of days birding.

Hopefully that will take me closer to your count B)

@Kitsafari

Where did you go birding in Kuala Lumpur?

1 hour ago, TonyQ said:

@Kitsafari

Where did you go birding in Kuala Lumpur?

I was at the fringe of Krau Wildlife Reserve, about 2 hours away from KL  (some call it Lanchang as it is close by, but I was closer to the Deerland which you wouldn't want to visit). I was with a birding guide who knew where the birds were. 

9 hours ago, Kitsafari said:

@pedro maiaThanks for the update! 

I've had a productive birding day in Kuala Lumpur last week and have a birding day coming up south of Thailand,  plus a chiangmai trip in December.  

But ive got my eyes glued on @TonyQ 's swift race to close up on @michael-ibk's lead. Will he or will he not???? Oh the suspense!

You´re clearly a contender, I never been to Chiang Mai but there must be good birding sites there, I´ll be looking forward to the results from there and from KL.

2 hours ago, mvecht said:

@pedro maia  thanks for keeping score. Week after next I will be in Israel on vacation and will have a couple of days birding.

Hopefully that will take me closer to your count B)

I´m an easy prey :D.

• 2 weeks later...

Update with a new leader!!

It´s also worth to mention that Dave has moved past Peter and Alex.

@TonyQ - 551

@michael-ibk - 516

@Kitsafari - 476

@Tdgraves - 461

@Dave Williams - 402

@PeterHG - 377

@xelas - 361

@Galana - 291

@pedro maia - 247

@Soukous - 213

@mvecht - 196

@Peter Connan - 184

@Alex Rogers - 168

@lmSA84 - 133

@Zim Girl - 113

@Treepol - 74

@Lyss - 19

@roseclaw - 8

:lol::lol::lol:

Dave Williams

Nice one Alex!

No scuffs or  scratches on my shell either!

• 3 weeks later...

Time for an update as we enter the last month of 2019 BY and some contenders are playing their final cards with some very promising trips during this month.

Since last update the changes in GC were @Kitsafari that passed @michael-ibk and @Soukous who raced past me by without even saying hello :D.

These are the current standings:

@TonyQ - 551

@Kitsafari - 524

@michael-ibk - 516

@Tdgraves - 466

@Dave Williams - 410

@PeterHG - 377

@xelas - 361

@Galana - 300

@Soukous - 291

@pedro maia - 251

@mvecht - 228

@Peter Connan - 184

@Alex Rogers - 168

@lmSA84 - 159

@Zim Girl - 113

@Treepol - 74

@Lyss - 19

@roseclaw - 8

Edited by Peter Connan

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/2/2019 at 12:08 PM, pedro maia said:

Since last update the changes in GC were @Kitsafari that passed @michael-ibk and @Soukous who raced past me by without even saying hello :D

sorry, "Hello".

• 1 month later...

Time to make the final counting, I hope all numbers are correct

@Kitsafari - 608 - 2019 BY Champion!!

@TonyQ - 551 

@PeterHG - 544

@michael-ibk - 535

@Tdgraves - 472

@Dave Williams - 410

@Galana - 408

@xelas - 362

@Soukous - 332

@Peter Connan - 264

@pedro maia - 260

@mvecht - 230

@Zim Girl - 190

@Alex Rogers - 168

@lmSA84 - 159

@Treepol - 156

@Lyss - 19

@roseclaw - 8

It was an absolute pleasure to participate and congratulations to everybody and, of course, to the overall winner, @Kitsafari, and to the home count winner, @Peter Connan!!

How the hell am I going to reach 265 only in Portugal in 2020??

Edited by pedro maia

36 minutes ago, pedro maia said:

How the hell am I going to reach 265 only in Portugal in 2020??

Maybe by annexing Spain :blink:?

To all other participants, it is our pleasure to share the hobby with you all! See you in BY2020!

1 hour ago, xelas said:

Maybe by annexing Spain :blink:?

To all other participants, it is our pleasure to share the hobby with you all! See you in BY2020!

This seems like a lot of trouble to go to?

Just move to SA...

52 minutes ago, Peter Connan said:

This seems like a lot of trouble to go to?

Just move to SA...

Or I can just stay here, it can be done, which doesn´t mean that I am able to do it :P.

@pedro maia

Thanks for doing this. Must do better next time.

Don't annexe Spain. You cause trouble enough.

Think of me. A home country of just 221 Sq miles, 572 Sq Km.

Not between a rock and a hard place.  Just stuck on a bloody rock in the middle of the Irish Sea.

Thanks to all who took part this year and made BY the fun thread it is.

Fantastic numbers this year together with familiar and unfamiliar birds and amazing photographs .

Well done to all participants, particularly @Kitsafari for the huge number and quality..... and @roseclaw who had the courage to dip a toe in; good luck to you in 2020.

Great job everyone. 

Edited by wilddog

Thanks for the final count, @pedro maia! It was a joy to participate and congratulations to @Kitsafari. Participating was fun and seeing so many great  birds and photos from so many parts of the world never ceases to amaze me,

thanks everyone for the generous support and comments. We didn't set out to hit the mark but you know what - along the way, we saw new birds, learn about new birds, gawked at how stunning birds can be, bemused at how hilarious the names are, and got informed about birds we did not see in person but learn to slowly recognise because of the amazing photos and lists kept by the other BY-ers. and that encouraged and motivated us to get out and find new ones to learn about the species' lives and futures. 

I very much doubt that we will even sniff that 600 mark, let alone 400, in 2020 , seeing how we are grounded in Singapore for the near future. but it sure will be fun following all of your 2020 lists! all the best to everyone!

LOL! I swear I had more birds, unfortunately I couldn't find a moment to sit down and clean the images up and post. One day I will post birds. I continuously miss the majority of them since I'm usually working.