A Senior Safari

shouldbewriting

shouldbewriting

Thank you so much! Very kind and much appreciated!

It is a refreshing thing, to read such a well written trip report, and with no pictures but those produced my brains (and memories). Thank You for your effort, @shouldbewriting

shouldbewriting

So glad you liked it, xelas. I enjoyed writing it and helps to fix things in my mind. 

shouldbewriting

mopsy, thanks for taking the time to respond. Glad you enjoyed it!

On 11/12/2019 at 11:47 PM, shouldbewriting said:

It was one of the sites where hundreds of carmine bee- eaters go to nest, and we arrived right on time: the end of the day, and they were flying in to their nesting tunnels in the sand. Against the emerald green back drop of the lagoon, which was now dotted with the staring heads of curious hippos, the brilliant red and blue birds cascaded out of the sky in waves. The air was full of piercing cries and sprays of sand as they clawed vigorously into the tunnels. A monitor lizard patrolled the perimeter, awaiting his chance. There would be eggs for supper. I think it’s safe to say that all of us were gobsmacked.

your words conjured the sounds - the sounds of the hippos guffawing, the cacophony of the carmine bee-eaters looking for the right nest hole to go into and swarming the sands, the sun casting its setting golden rays on the waters and creatures, and the lizard flicking its tongue eager to tuck in as soon as he can. 

great trip report! and such a unique way to cajole our imagination!

thank you indeed for doing it.

Edited by Kitsafari

shouldbewriting

I think that you must have been there too...

I’m very grateful for your support and appreciation. Also the encouragement to give it a go.

Amylovescritters

Such a wonderful trip report @shouldbewriting! You are indeed a skilled and moving writer.

I will be taking my mother (79yrs) on a very similar trip mid-late March next year. We are also booked via The Wild Source. I had almost opted for Bushman’s Plains but it was more expensive than Splash with the Kwando 5 Rivers Special. I had also wondered about my mom’s comfort level, though she still gets about pretty well. After reading your report I am glad we opted for 4 nights at Splash. We are also staying at Lagoon and Lebala (and Tau Pan in Central Kalahari followed by a few nights at Vic Falls Safari Lodge). We are so excited and I am thrilled to read your report...

😉

Edited by Amylovescritters

shouldbewriting

Thanks for your kind compliment!

I'm so excited to hear about your trip next year; certainly you will both have a marvelous time. The Kwando people do such a great job on all fronts, we were very impressed by the whole experience at both camps. It will be unforgettable!

@shouldbewriting thanks for a wonderful trip report. You had me gripped from start to finish.

Plenty of wonderful sightings as well.

Keep dreaming of Africa until you visit again.

shouldbewriting

Thanks so much, Hads! Glad you enjoyed it. It would be great if I could go again.

thanks for the excellent report. kwando camps always been on my wish list and your report confirms it! 

shouldbewriting

Thanks, Philw. If you get a chance I don’t think you’ll regret going Kwando. I’d love to go again.

Should be thinking about another journey--glad to read that!

shouldbewriting

Atravelynn, it certainly is fun to think about...thanks for the encouragement!

shouldbewriting

We did have a wonderful time, still high on it, and very happy that you enjoyed the report!

• 2 weeks later...

Now here's a piece of safari writing to aspire to. Your wonderful travelogue spurred me to respond. Who needs pictures when your words evoke such imagery. I am just about feeling your pleasure, hearing your anticipation, tasting your awe and smelling the sights with you as I view your scenes rolling in my mind. I too am gobsmacked :-)

We have been booking with Bill Givens crew (Wild Source) for many consecutive years now. We just tell him where, when and number of nights and leave the rest to him.

It has been a while since we were in Botswana and with Kwando. Time to be going back. Your report has brought it all the way back up the list. Thanks for that.

And best wishes for your safari planning and will look forward to your next piece of wonderful writing.

shouldbewriting

What a delightful surprise! Love your kind appreciation, many thanks for responding so eloquently. I enjoyed writing the trip report and it means a lot when others enjoy it. Happy travels!

I've just caught up with your report and join my fellow STers in thanking you for writing it. Isn't the sight of hundreds of Carmines nesting unforgettable! And you had great sightings throughout the trip too. And wonderful to see such a large pack of dogs too!

shouldbewriting

Thank you, Galago. Kind of you to take the time to comment on my report — and those bee eaters are indeed unforgettable!

@shouldbewriting,

I salute you for your determination, bravery and zest for life!

You did great and took every opportunity presented to simply dive in and get first hand experiences... no excuses made. 

Congratulations and a big thank you on your excellent report with careful and meticulous detail. I thoroughly enjoyed this. 

May you enjoy many more blessings and a life filled with excitement and joy. 

shouldbewriting

Ritsgaai, your heartfelt response to my report has made my day! So many thanks for your kind compliments and good wishes, which I have pleasure in returning. I can’t tell you how thrilled I am that people have enjoyed this.

• 3 months later...

Really loved your report, and thank you!  Like you, I'm not much of a photographer, and prefer words. My upcoming sixth safari in May (Botswana and Zimbabwe for a month) will be the first time I travel only with my IPhone to capture images. And also, like you, I am getting up there in years....70 now. No major mobility issues, but will be consulting closely with my guide before embarking on any walking safari experiences...distance, terrain, etc. to be expected. I will then decide my options.

A long time ago, when I became enamored of the safari life, I told myself that I would return whenever I could afford it, and "as long as I can haul my butt into a game drive vehicle!"  You have shown that there are many possibilities for all of us, with perseverance and ingenuity.

shouldbewriting

Thank you so much for your very kind remarks. The trip has repaid me so often with priceless memories. Out of nowhere yesterday I was suddenly back with that large journey of giraffe.

Have a wonderful safari in May, a month is a fabulous amount of time!