@dlo

Great you visited the ride4awoman organization and Noel’s cottage looks cozy and inviting ; the cycling on the steep hill and down would be to demanding for me even with that marvelous landscape I must admit and I admire your courage! 

On 1/20/2020 at 4:07 PM, michael-ibk said:

Raymond would have been happy with me - love the chocolate kingfisher. 

x2 - such a beautiful kingfisher!

great experiences with the chimps and then with the gorillas. I've still to muster my courage to brave those treks but hope to find it one day. I'm so impressed at how you prepared for the treks - a real role model for people like me !

Thanks @TonyQ and I feel they are a worthwhile organization. I certainly can't think of many better causes and it seemed such a positive place. It was a shame we were in such a hurry to our next destination.

@BRACQUENE @Kitsafari

Thanks but it's just hard work. There's no courage from my end at all. But I very much admire Chris for the effort she put in. She does not ride bikes at all so for her to agree to go with me just for my enjoyment in a very difficult place to ride is beyond any words. 

Now @Kitsafari I know you can see those gorillas and chimps. You had a much more difficult trip to Gabon so I know you are capable. I did say anyone can do it and I heard stories of people being carried up. Many times it's not that hard but sometimes you could get a hard trek so I guess you have to be ready. They are wonderful experiences both and I've read so many of your trip reports that I know how much you would love to do both. The regular chimp viewing is easy by the way so no excuses there😁

Edited by dlo

DLO, I've finally caught up with the tail end of your trip to Uganda, and enjoyed your Chimp and Gorilla pictures - lovely!  I'll back up the bus a bit when I find a bit more time and can read the entire trip report.  We were in Bwindi at the start of October 2019.  I very foolishly did not prepare for our Gorilla trek (I was ill several months prior to our trip), but I fear even if I had, it would have made it only a bit less challenging.  I am still planning a trip report, so I'll only just say that we were out on the mountain for 7 hours to see our gorillas.  I am very thankful that I made it and was able to see those magnificent animals!

@MMMim

Looking forward to another trip report of a stunningly beautiful country !

@MMMim Thanks for reading. Your not alone, my wife did not train one minute either! Like I said anyone can do it with a little determination. As for 7 hours well I think everyone can agree you really deserved those gorillas at that point👍.it must have been such a mixture of joy and relief when you found them. 

Oh my gosh DLO, you have no idea what a relief it was to find those gorillas.  Tears of joy and pain were shed in the hour that we spent with the family group.

safaritalk uganda (140).jpg

Another early start we leave at 6:30 for Mgahinga National Park to go see golden monkeys. From our room in Mutanda we look out over the lake with the volcanoes of Mgahinga in the distance. From this stunning location we could see rain falling in the distance before it got to us last evening so we were anticipating a difficult trek. 

The difficulty started on the drive when we got stuck on the narrow drive on the hill out of the lodge. Reversing down this hill was difficult but fortunately for everyone I wasn't driving and eventually we got up the hill and away we went. Driving through Kisoro on the way was a nightmare with massive pools of water and mud everywhere. 

Somehow we didn't drown on the way and got to Mgahinga at 8 for a short debrief and then put into a group of 10. The fantastic news was we got to see Wayne and Kate from London again and pretty much chatted with them the whole day. There was a group of 4 together who I guaranteed would have issues on the hike and as usual I was right! On the way up the infamous safari ants struck again and the girl from that group with the jeans at ankle height was the victim. It's funny because I am a wear shorts guy most of the time and I though today wouldn't be bad but Robert was having none of it and made me dress appropriately and I was grateful at the end of the day. The terrain was uphill but nothing to difficult most of the time but the rain made it very slippery. Jeans and sneakers were a bad idea today and one guy from that group fell very hard on the way down and then probably fell 4 more times after that hard fall. 

Overall though I think it's a nice hike, the scenery is beautiful with forests including a pretty bamboo forest, it was a riot of greenery everywhere. With some light rain and mist and fog and moss falling from the trees it was a fairytale scene to me.

After 90 minutes we reach the golden monkeys and like the gorillas we spend the next hour with them. It's an enjoyable hour though they are constantly on the move and as it starts to rain a bit they hide away for about 10 minutes. We got plenty of good video of them flying through the trees but they dont stay still often to get many pictures and you always have to move around on the slippery hills watching every step you take.

Our hour was up and it was time to go back. You really had to watch your step going down and after multiple days in a row of strenuous activity we were pretty tired but we did fine and other than the one guy in particular who kept falling everyone did alright. About half way down the rangers stopped at a lunch spot but again our group of 4 were unprepared having not brought a lunch. So they voted we keep moving and so we did. Its amazing that you could literally be up there for most of the day yet you come completely unprepared and then spoil other people's day as I was in no hurry to leave a beautiful spot and chat with the rangers for awhile longer. 

I ended up scarfing my lunch down upon reaching the ranger station and after exchanging info with Wayne and Kate we drove back to Mutanda. We ended up getting stuck in huge bog and on the the winding cliffs back to the lodge almost had a head on collision with someone driving a little to fast but we made it back in one piece. 

IMG_9128.jpg.6b986ed7a20e1c3b451e51435be0a604.jpg

IMG_9134.jpg.58cdb69b1a6e9ae8de0ba47a96d2c162.jpg

IMG_9131.jpg.f34c06abbf2c9f43fd17cec252a29ece.jpg

IMG_2323.jpg.909bf7cc3265a8028e947452557b23d6.jpg

IMG_2321.jpg.75a6ec647691bc9b1dcde11755462e0a.jpg

IMG_2361.jpg.655a230fcbfe108753f79c6e07c7d06a.jpg

IMG_2454.jpg.0e9e405c1a4c02cb349e1b6115a4fc58.jpg

IMG_2389.jpg.06c57794141b6cc3caa61d1af5f12efd.jpg

20190210_100201.jpg.65c132ec1d3d4978bde23e9563c097bb.jpg

@dlo

The third last photo is my favorite with those dreamy eyes : makes me think of Yoda in Star Wars without ears of course !

"I'm not going anywhere ". Those words were uttered by Chris even before hiking up a volcano but now there was absolutely no chance of a leisurely bike ride around Lake Mutanda. We were both worn out at this point though so I was secretly quite happy about chilling all day even though I could easily have gone off on my own.

There is plenty to do though here but even a boat trip was to much effort so our day would start with a nice lie in and late breakfast. Lake Mutanda might be the prettiest lake I've ever been to but it was very grey and foggy our entire visit. The morning was so cold we had to wear sweaters and with the occasional drizzle and fog it was kind of a dreary morning. 

The afternoon was nice and we laid on the dock watching the kingfishers and trying to spot some otters. They then suddenly made a couple of very brief appearances and we were pretty excited to see them as it was a "first" for us. 

It was honestly a nice relaxing day that was badly needed by us. After having a long chat with our waitress the night before and in the morning we ended up playing uno with her for a couple of hours before dinner. It was a nice slice of normalcy after all that time moving and talking to her so much was great. She was a very friendly outgoing person and we got so much insight on her and village life in Africa. An afternoon very well spent.

The next morning we leave early for Lake Mburo so we crash early and now we are headed down the home stretch. As far as Mutanda pictures well it was very grey for the most part but trust me it's a paradise scenically.

IMG_9098-2.jpg.db11c08545d2b28372cefe4f0eb53218.jpg

A Colubus from our drive from Bwindi to Mutanda 

IMG_9230.jpg.f30bd5506d264a65fc29a6290fd36c2e.jpg

IMG_9238.jpg.aeb16baca1b9cf2ccd02b13fd311651d.jpg

IMG_9254.jpg.d656d05f991e532a33dce06e4c370f94.jpg

20190210_155920.jpg.79fcb29756c3bfa8a10c5f271816f461.jpg

IMG_9244.jpg.b6917976ce03b726bf80908e59e633cd.jpg

IMG_9258.jpg.2c419b018bf1428793e435467963cd12.jpg

IMG_9264.jpg.8bf926f615f759865c8c9b2d2671f9ec.jpg

This crow hung out maybe 5 feet behind me for around 5 minutes.

IMG_2539.jpg.66f4b8a2a810154d540cf80b2efc07bd.jpg

1090866918_IMG_2542(1).jpg.b32441b004b31df6088d1446f0d9dc85.jpg

IMG_2554.jpg.02de8669e4fe7b9a60d72a2a9f6a0ac4.jpg

IMG_2596.jpg.0cd6f5b013d830c8c9d5b67d00566b3b.jpg

IMG_2588.jpg.c3f9efb591665364f688c78cc226d769.jpg

I believe this was @pault hotel in Mutanda.

Edited by dlo

@dlo

The hazy Lake Mutanda looks indeed fabulous as do the pied Kingfisher !

6:30 start for the long drive to Lake Mburo. After a rough road for the first hour we hit tarmac and it's a beautiful winding road through thick fog. You turn off the tarmac to a dirt road that leads to the park itself. This is one of the worst roads I've ever seen and Robert comments how he's embarrassed how had this road that takes you into a national park is.

We have enough time for a short drive in the park before a very late lunch at Mihingo Lodge. We only have time for a one night stay so we decide to have a splurge and stay at a luxury lodge. And luxurious it it with a lovely view on a ridge overlooking the park, rooms that are as big as my house and good food as well as plenty of activities including boat rides, horseback and mountain biking as well as walking and night drives. 

Time is short for us though so after our short drive which brought plenty of antelope and many of the usual suspects we go on a boat cruise. The cruise actually goes really well with plenty of hippo and crocs and probably more birds than we've seen elsewhere especially fish eagles. 

After dinner we see some resident bushbabies but it's so dark we can't get any pictures. We call it an early night as my stomach is a little off again and we have another early start tomorrow with an early walk and then make the drive to Kampala 

IMG_9294.jpg.57a49fd5b1fd171445ce39988b0bcf92.jpg

IMG_9298.jpg.e1cefaddc22c0541141b7d2f01d52196.jpg

IMG_9361.jpg.7295d60b305d15e6bb3cce0a468a3c52.jpg

IMG_9387.jpg.4dc585ac13ab471bc096b5fd724a01e9.jpg

IMG_2636.jpg.35641c32de16d7d24906e025ec9f5d80.jpg

IMG_2664.jpg.bf1089a380546696a772723776c1f6d5.jpg

IMG_2676.jpg.fcda5b19f2ec0d694901e42c41f9cbe4.jpg

IMG_2882.jpg.5e0ed511eba74ac116ec6fd308302169.jpg

IMG_3121.jpg.29f06fae334d67f3f7c346c3db1787f3.jpg

IMG_3282.jpg.d1f11c77d9ac9456d79eec871ab15895.jpg

IMG_3264.jpg.614aaa49fe806998a8c6e5dbfaa1c091.jpg

IMG_3188.jpg

@dlo

I was just thinking before going to bed  : this surely has been the calmest weekend since I am active on safaritalk when your post came in  with stunning lake Mburo photos , even a naughty one for a change and birds bringing back memories of last years Kafue River excursions !

I've never seen a buffalo having a relaxing bath like that!

Great to have that sighting of otters in the beautiful and atmospheric Lake Mburo.

See you've quietly snuck in a photo of an African Finfoot!

Love that Waterbuck portrait but enjoying it all.

2 hours ago, Caracal said:

I've never seen a buffalo having a relaxing bath like that!

Great to have that sighting of otters in the beautiful and atmospheric Lake Mburo.

See you've quietly snuck in a photo of an African Finfoot!

Love that Waterbuck portrait but enjoying it all.

The guide was commenting on what a loser that poor bachelor buffalo was. He said it a few times and the buffalo slowly put his head under water like he was so ashamed of himself. Poor guy! They were pretty thrilled to show us that Finfoot too!

excellent trip report @dlo. Fantastic cat and primate sightings and nice jackal early on too. 

very jealous of that African finfoot though! :)

Thanks @BRACQUENE those river excursions are pretty productive aren't they?. 

@Caracal Waterbucks are probably our favourite antelope, so I'm glad you like. We've got a picture of a buffalo lounging in the water somewhere else but it completely escapes my memory. 

It's funny you and @adamt123 liked the finfoot. I remember the guide being excited by it but to be honest I just had to look up which one was the finfoot😄. I guess that admission has destroyed all my safari credentials on this site.

I woke up early with a little tummy trouble again and decided to skip our walk. Chris went on the walk with a group of Belgians we met on the boat trip but she said it was very quiet. Zebra dominated the walk with a few other antelope and they chatted about Ugandan superstitions. 

Chris came back to camp for breakfast and I ate lightly after getting some meds from the camp manager. Then we were off to Kampala but not before the obligatory stop at the equator. While Chris visited all the shops Robert and I hit up a restaurant and had some lunch. It was also either shortly before or after this that we stopped on the side of the road and did a quick check for shoebill who are apparently occasionally seen here. No such luck and while I probably should have spent the night in Entebbe and gone to Mabamba tomorrow I decided that hot traffic congested Kampala was a better idea🤪.

We arrived at our hotel late in the afternoon and I lazily decided that walking down the street to the Mediterraneo restaurant(where I really wanted to go)was to much effort and we ate at the hotel. 

Our last day was meant for shopping. We went to the banana boat and got a bunch of souvenirs and I got some much needed shoes at the Acacia mall as my hiking shoes absolutely reeked and I didn't want to subject multiple flights of people to them.

Now the traffic of Kampala is as crazy as everyone says. Lunchtime is horrendous as everyone needs there car to go out even if the restaurant is a 10 minute walk. That turns into a 30 minute drive if your lucky. Then add valentines to the mix and the very busy Cafe Javas and it's pandemonium. 

After about a 10 minute nap Robert and his wife came to pick us up from our hotel. She was super nice and made us a rug as a farewell gift. After that it was a hot chaotic drive to Entebbe until you hit the expressway and we fly to Entebbe from there. We took Robert and his wife to Faze 3 for dinner which has a beautiful location looking over Lake Victoria. From there it's off to the airport for a night flight to Amsterdam and a couple of days there and then back to Canada.

IMG_9411.jpg.e175bb19ebdfd13b0ca3c13b85891f0e.jpg

IMG_3332.jpg.16875ea11aae4de8f063e278d8c9021e.jpg

IMG_3353.jpg.46c4b0bdd910d343e266f8c49de0e059.jpg

20190213_115001.jpg.ae17b13975d5d355535a72b05d5199c0.jpg

There's gotta be a shoebill somewhere out there.

20190214_124842.jpg.157c1f0f7979e8eae4340e8b5575617b.jpg

Gorillas found...diet over.

20190214_130550.jpg.cf88a8578988d1cb740dd371ab8c4a6e.jpg

Valentines day is a big deal here.

20190214_185739.jpg.bae8280cd10a0bdaeccfaf3ba979bcd2.jpg

Looking over lake Victoria. Goodbye Africa.

Thanks to everyone who read along especially to those who joined in, it's much appreciated. It was a much delayed report and difficult to write at times but hopefully some of you enjoyed it and my love of Uganda shone through. Till next time.....

@dlo

It certainly did shine through and I am extremely thankful that you managed to give me tips and material for a future trip ; walking with Belgians ! We in three safaris only saw a lonely couple two minutes at the Ruaha airstrip who came to take our place at Kichaka ; you can see them walking with Molly if you go on the excellent website of ATR and look at the photos of that camp ! 

20 hours ago, BRACQUENE said:

@dlo

It certainly did shine through and I am extremely thankful that you managed to give me tips and material for a future trip ; walking with Belgians ! We in three safaris only saw a lonely couple two minutes at the Ruaha airstrip who came to take our place at Kichaka ; you can see them walking with Molly if you go on the excellent website of ATR and look at the photos of that camp ! 

I guess you'll need to travel with me to meet your fellow countrymen. I've met a few including a pretty cool guy at Victoria falls who helped me chill out before my microlight flight when my nerves started acting up. 

@dlo

Well I might do that but I will pass the microlight flight and then of course there is Carole Deschuymere ,  professional photographer and safari         passionate @Whyone? posted that awesome Mana Pools video recently you should see without delay and on her website she announced that at the end of the year she will move permanently from the Belgian coast to Zimbabwe after organizing a photographic safari to Mana in october !

Thoroughly enjoyed this report @dlo - what a variety in landscapes and wildlife.

Always enjoy your commentary and I admire and appreciate your posting of this report in difficult circumstances.

I'm a Luddite and wouldn't have a clue how to post a TR from my phone!

On 2/13/2020 at 12:06 PM, dlo said:

Till next time.....

I shall look forward to finding out in due course which country and whether it will also be timed for another birthday for you or @KoKo