PC's apologetically late and small year.

Peter Connan

At the beginning of the year, I was toying with the idea of restricting myself to birds in flight this year. But somehow I struggled to get much worth showing, and then of course lock-down hit and my already slow progress pretty much ground to a halt.

I then decided to start my thread on the 19th of August (being my birthday) in the hope that I could achieve a reasonably steady flow of birds over the last half of the year to mask how few birds I really had. But, just about half an hour before I was going to start posting, my computer packed up...

The long and the short of it is that the hard drive crashed, in such a way that the information on it was un-recoverably corrupted. I received the computer back this week, but most of my photos for the year are gone (I do have photos from a couple of smallish trips or events from before the crash, which I loaded straight onto a portable drive purely because my laptop didn't have enough memory for them, and those will have to be re-edited and will be submitted in due course, so this thread will not only be small and late, it will also be dis-organised, and will start with some horrible photos.

Buckle up folks!

On the weekend of the 12th September, we visited the town of Dullstroom for a family birthday party. I took the opportunity to walk around the town dam.

1) Lesser Swamp-warbler

Kaapse Rietsanger

Acrocephalus gracilirostris

LesserSwampWarbler.jpg.17f9b6476c40408bf01456dfdf2a97fb.jpg

12 September, Dullstroom  dam

Edited by Peter Connan

I’m pretty sure you’ll bring us some great pictures until the end of the year Peter, looking forward to see them.

welcome back @Peter Connanto the BY! no matter the quantity, I know the quality (however small they come out in) will be top flight! so will look forward to seeing more from you. 

so sorry though about the loss of the earlier photos. can't do without technology, but technology sometimes sucks big time. 

14 hours ago, Peter Connan said:

it will also be dis-organised, and will start with some horrible photos.

So what. Some of us start AND finish like that!:(

Commiserations on your loss. I keep threatening my device that if there is any more trouble the term "Computer Crash" will have a more literal meaning and I will store my photos in Shoe Boxes like the good old days.:angry:

There's still time to get a decent total. Just coming into the best time of year in your part of the world Peter

@Peter Connan- welcome back! I'm sorry to hear about your IT challenges. Fingers crossed that's the end of it and you & yours have a great rest of the year

Good to see you back here, @Peter Connan. Very sorry to hear about the computer crash, but I do hope you'll get plenty of opportunities in the remainder of the year to get some good photos again and join them with us!

Thanks for the good wishes everyone.

@Tdgraves, no, it was posted the way I always do. Not sure if the upgrade has anything to do with it, but I see if I click on it, it does load a larger version.

2) Cape Crow

Swartkraai

Corvus capensis

Kraai.jpg.5ba7487f23a6b8bc31d7e3b6e6a6bfa4.jpg

12 September, Dullstroom

3) Cape Wagtail

Gewone Kwikkie

Motacilla capensis

KwaaiKwikkie.jpg.9a644c9c71d0c5ed2f6b42a4d6d2e05e.jpg

12 September, Dullstroom

campsafari2015
10 hours ago, Peter Connan said:

3) Cape Wagtail

Gewone Kwikkie

Motacilla capensis

KwaaiKwikkie.jpg.9a644c9c71d0c5ed2f6b42a4d6d2e05e.jpg

12 September, Dullstroom

This is a wonderful capture :D

There must be a female and a male on this (wonderful) photo :D

Thank you very much @xelas

4) Greater Striped Swallow

Grootstreepswael

Hirundo cucullata

Stripey.jpg.210868eb36dc0e2b700acfd04938402b.jpg

12 September, Dullstroom

5) White-throated Swallow

Witkeelswael

Hirundo albigularis

Witkeel.jpg.f4f6e912b54e8d609d652e97d7c26fe8.jpg

Whitebreast-2.jpg.8d0d60c663d94c80d7cb821bf7b0dded.jpg

Whitebreast.jpg.10d55f735b52dfb0338ea668514f4770.jpg

12 September, Dullstroom

27 minutes ago, xelas said:

There must be a female and a male on this (wonderful) photo 

The female has her mouth open!:o

Great Swallow photos Peter.

The feeding picture is excellent. Spring comes to Dullstroom.

@Peter Connan, beautiful Swallow photos, easy to overlook them a bit, but some good photography skills really highlights their beauty and speed. Im getting trip promos from Sun Safaris now...I wish. A bit of spoiling in a nice Camp in Greater Kruger is pretty appealing, if only.

Thank you very much @Galana and @elefromoz

Indeed, spring is here and I hear a cuckoo calling.

Time to travel for sure. If only we could!

Edited by Peter Connan

6) Spur-winged Goose

Wildemakou

Plectropterus gambensis

Spurwing.jpg.2b1adb1b0e3153d77d7913f5f7600a3c.jpg

12 September, Dullstroom