Weekend Getaways; Mysterious birds; Tigers and more ............ Phew! A short getaway after that thing called 2020!!!!

madaboutcheetah

madaboutcheetah

Hello, here are the first few images from Kabini etc etc., over two separate weekends........

2020Nov23 (1 of 1).jpg

2020Nov34 (1 of 1).jpg

2020Nov8 (1 of 1).jpg

2020Nov21 (1 of 1).jpg

2020Nov31 (1 of 1).jpg

2020Nov30 (1 of 1).jpg

2020Nov17 (1 of 1).jpg

2020Nov33 (1 of 1).jpg

2020Nov28 (1 of 1).jpg

2020Nov29 (1 of 1).jpg

I wish I could do such a getaway - as always super shots.

Great photos @madaboutcheetah! They made me google for Kabini and learn more about Nagarhole NP. What a promising wildlife area that is! So much variaty in wildlife and eyecatcher mammals like elephant, tiger, leopard and more. I'll keep this in mind for whenever I'd like to explore something totally new and different.

Thanks for sharing these beautiful photos!

madaboutcheetah

@Game Warden- can i post an iPhone video to this thread directly from the phone? 

@madaboutcheetah WOW! what a gorgeous images, Hari! I've never been to India and never seen a tiger but it is such a beautiful cat! wow! you've got it!! And what are those birds which are looking like Trompeter Hornbills on third photo? And that animal which looks like a fox or a jackal? A buffalo is also not a buffalo, right? It looks rather like a bison. I wasn't interested in safari in India to be honest but your pictures have awaken a big interest! Especially in fauna and flora. I need to google about that park, as well...

3 hours ago, madaboutcheetah said:

can i post an iPhone video to this thread directly from the phone? 

Sorry @madaboutcheetahno, it has to be uploaded to a video sharing platform and then linked through to.

Matt

madaboutcheetah

Thanks for all your kind comments .... @ElenaH.... those are the Great Indian hornbills; dhole which is Indian wild dog (also similar pack dynamics); Gaur which is the largest wild cattle in the world.... the biggest Gaur is easily much much bigger than any African buffalo.

18 minutes ago, madaboutcheetah said:

Gaur is easily much much bigger than any African buffalo.

I remember the first time I saw one and was stunned, thinking holy crap what on earth is this!  

Amazing photos as always. 

On 11/16/2020 at 10:17 AM, madaboutcheetah said:

here are the first few images from Kabini etc etc., over two separate weekends......

Thanks for that Hari :(. We were supposed to be in Kabini/Nagarhole for the first week of November, but of course could not go. Reminding me what we missed does not make me feel any better. :(

Lovely photos though, as always.

madaboutcheetah

@Soukous- hopefully you can come soon !!! 

Just now, madaboutcheetah said:

@Soukous- hopefully you can come soon !!! 

yes indeed

madaboutcheetah

Next bunch ...... The first 5 images are from Valparai, Tamil Nadu ...... The elephants from the higher up angle is from a walk in the tea estates. The Nilgiri Langur (photo 5 is endemic to the Western Ghats and is slightly larger than the common Langur found throughout India) ........

Rest - Kabini, Karnataka........ 

2020Nov2 (1 of 1).jpg

2020Nov12 (1 of 1).jpg

2020Nov16 (1 of 1).jpg

2020Nov19 (1 of 1).jpg

2020Nov13 (1 of 1).jpg

2020Nov35 (1 of 1).jpg

2020Nov37 (1 of 1).jpg

2020Nov38 (1 of 1).jpg

2020Nov39 (1 of 1).jpg

2020Nov40 (1 of 1).jpg

Edited by madaboutcheetah

Hari,

Wonderful you were able to get away- how fortunate Kabini is within driving distance for you, albeit a 6 hour drive but obviously well worth it given what you saw. Must be been fabulous to get away to the bush - how was the overnight stays. Assume the park was not at all crowded. Your usual excellent pictures- thanks for sharing these. Keep well and safe. 

madaboutcheetah

Thanks @AKR1..... it was Diwali weekend so all the Kabini lodges were full .... very strict protocol including masks on game drive. It felt almost normal .... well worth the 5 hour drive.

madaboutcheetah

Yes Cats and dogs ......... But, I think the Changeable Hawk Eagle with an egret kill (trying to lift it out of the waterhole) is a once in a lifetime sighting?? 

2020Nov42 (1 of 1).jpg

2020Nov43 (1 of 1).jpg

2020Nov44 (1 of 1).jpg

2020Nov45 (1 of 1).jpg

2020Nov47 (1 of 1).jpg

2020Nov48 (1 of 1).jpg

2020Nov49 (1 of 1).jpg

2020Nov51 (1 of 1).jpg

2020Nov46 (1 of 1).jpg

2020Nov50 (1 of 1).jpg

2020Nov37 (1 of 1).jpg

Wonderful photos Hari! Agree, the Eagle killing the Egret is very special - wow to that!

Lovely shots as always. You are so lucky to live with tigers in driving distance :)

Did the eagle actually kill the egret or was it already dead? It looks rather drowned.  Did you see the kill happen??

dholes and dholes - just stunning. 

oh and of course the big striped cat too.

awesome to see that eagle trying to drag that heron up. did it finally manage to get it into the air? 

offshorebirder

Lucky you, @madaboutcheetah - thanks for sharing this TR.

What an amazing sighting of an eagle preying on an egret.  

Valparai sounds like a great area.

madaboutcheetah

Thanks so much for all the kind comments .......

A word about Kabini - in recent times, it appears that Predator viewing is same year round -easily one of the best parks for Dhole.  Leopard sightings a bit down from before due to all the Tigers around.  They are still around including the black panther who was seen the morning i drove home!!

The CHE with egret.  Egret for sure wasn't stuck there .... it was killed in the waterhole (just water there, not sticky mud) and yes, we saw the whole sequence with the CHE really struggling to lift the egret, which it eventually did after plucking out feathers and making it lighter.  I have some photos will post later ...

I was going to ask about the black panther. Sorry you missed it. Great trip nevertheless. ☺️