Show us your Owls

BRACQUENE

4 hours ago, janzin said:

If you ever come to New York in winter I can pretty much guarantee one :) somewhere within driving distance.

Now THAT is tempting.

8 hours ago, Galana said:

Now THAT is tempting.

I also say so.

Let  me add to the list from my  part of the world: 

Brown Hawk Owl, Hindhede park, Singapore

DSC08337-Edit.JPG.6c378e2f419d37edca97411b6042052e.JPG

Back in Africa if only temporarily....

1-DSCF8863.JPG.c72a8115592ca20c3e730371970aeb62.JPG

Spotted Eagle Owl. Kgalagadi TFP. Namibia.

Something smaller now.

1-DSCN6277.JPG.7e3f323c5132dda11315a246c7d0d6ed.JPG

Little Owl. Spread quite wide over the Palearctic and even North Africa. This one was high in the Himalayas at Tso Kar in Ladakh.

Time to change continents for me.

1-DSCF3363.JPG.f4b8d8b79b071abcb4a63047a5a1d6f9.JPG

1-DSCF3376.JPG.0c83e25a98d408e60a68932e88e93cab.JPG

1-DSCF3406.JPG.9ff7ad85c04876d21bfb6df5bb1a68d7.JPG

Spotted Owlets. Bharatphur village, India. The tree was actually right next to the busy village shop.

As we are in Bharatphur, why not another Spotted Owlet.

I think almost everyone visiting the bird sanctuary sees this chap. Mme Soukous photographed the same bird in the same hole 2 weeks before I got there.

Spotted Owlet

I spent an afternoon in the summer in a hide in Sussex photographing a family of little owls. I could have spent a week there!

_MH17310.jpg.839f4dff1ec7792b15590cb91b5ffbc1.jpg

Nikon D850, Pf500/5.6, 1/320 sec, ISO400

What a lovely shot @pomkiwi

Thank-you @Peter ConnanThey are lovely birds to observe from close quarters and I was lucky to be able to use a hide for several hours

Unlike the session photographing little owls most of my owl photography involves waiting long hours for our resident barn owls who are not minded to venture out much in the golden sunlight of late afternoon but rather wait until darkness has nearly arrived. It is lovely to watch them but most photography is at distance and involves lots of noise reduction in Lightroom!

MFH_2291.jpg.2ff10325915f5ae16c876182afb2afa5.jpg

Nikon D500, PF500/f5.6, 1/320sec, ISO 8000

the little owl is delightful @pomkiwi !

still on my island republic, the most handsome resident owl here is the barred-eagle owl which only appears just one season a year when its owlet fledges.

20180829-DSC05895.JPG.0f3d46599af5c515c498ed332f675045.JPG

@pomkiwi @Kitsafari

Thanks a lot both of you for the much appreciated contributions to this topic slowly but surely developing into a fantastic overview 😊

@KitsafariLovely Barred Eagle Owl. Crazy Ear tufts.

Good to see more contributors.

@pomkiwiGreat Little Owl. There is something about 'small' owls and owlet's expressions that just endears them to me.

Dave Williams

Two Owls seen in Cuba, they would have to be, they are endemics! 

The Cuban Pygmy Owl was seen whilst searching for almost extinct Zapata Rail early one morning. It was a welcome bonus and needless to say we didn't find the Rail which still is a good draw for the bird guides though!

50831616591_15d7a38d84_b.jpgCuban Pygmy Owl. Glaucidium siju by Dave Williams, on Flickr

The Cuban Screech Owl would never have been found without the knowledge of my guide. We had to walk through a bog with mud up to my knees at times to get to the nest hole. The guide knocked three times on the trunk of the palm tree and an irate looking Owl appeared and gave us a look as if to say "shove off" but in an expletive sort of way which was understandable so we did just that!

50830871698_5b57b24d0e_b.jpgCuban Screech Owl. Margarobyas lawrencii by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Edited by Dave Williams

@Dave Williams

What a splendid Brown Fish Owl and  the picture of the Cuban Screech Owl has for me first price for originality ! As for the unexpected sight of the  Pygmy Owl  ,  I would say Viva Zapata :lol:

Lovely shots lady and gentlemen!

Excellent all round. Hard to pick any one above the others.

What a capture of a very irritated screech owl!

Lovely photos Dave.

offshorebirder

These are three newly fledged Eastern Screech-owls in my mother's suburban wildlife habitat in Charleston.  They were reared in one of the nest boxes I maintain for the resident pair. 

This is one of them reacting to a Carolina Chickadee scolding it:

@offshorebirder

Great video's and I find it incredible how those owls keep the same position most of the time and don't seem disturbed ! 

Another day another species.

1-DSCF3998.JPG.393784d2895a3bd4e24efc0640c837fb.JPG

1-DSCF4541.JPG.3e1cd94a26b4729920afd6ecc6e94037.JPG

Indian Scops. Another species that seems to work like a Swiss clock on the hour every hour.