PeterHG’s sixth. Wherever it may take us.

PeterHG

Its pin-tailed cousin is usually harder to find, but to our relief we managed to see a few. Once they landed in the fileds further on they became completely invisible.

227 / Sp 27. Pin-tailed Grouse. Extremadura, October

i-DmTRzLN-XL.jpg

From our accommodation it was half an hour's drive to the Salto de Gitano in Monfrague N.P.. We went there a few times late in the afternoon, to see the vultures return and look for a place to spend the night. It is such a magnificent place to get close views of the Griffon vultures and each time we stayed for an hour-and-a half just to enjoy the spectacle. And of course to make the most of the photo opportunites. I already counted them, but I hope you don't mind my posting just a few more.

i-QZm8pZt-X2.jpg

i-PvmLBQQ-X2.jpg

i-MGRSNC3-X2.jpg

i-k9jhzQB-X2.jpg

i-LdMGfFB-X2.jpg

And we did get another tick in the same spot:

228 / Sp 28. Blue Rock Thrush. Monfrague, October

i-rmgfNH5-XL.jpg

Back in our bungalow, we were visited by a large group of Iberian Magpies. This had happened on most days before, but this time they ventured quite close, attracted by the little bird bath, which we had filled with water. We had seen quite a few before ( in fact I was amazed at how common they were in the Algarve, but it was a nice goodbye to the area and to our trip to Spain and Portugal.

229 /Sp 29. Iberian Magpie. Extremadura, October

i-2rm68rF-X2.jpg

i-892NpL6-XL.jpg

Some excellent captures for your finale. Really enjoyed them.

Don't worry about the Bull. He was trying to help by stirring up the soil to attract Starlings for you.:P

Beautiful!

@PeterHG brilliant photos of the griffons, and what a beautiful iberian magpie!

Fabulous pictures of the Griffon vultures!

Thank you @Galana @Peter Connan, @Kitsafari @Zim Girl

We've been home for about six weeks now and it has become hard to still feel the warmth and freedom of the triop through Spain and Portugal. Lots of grey days and new lockdown measures have taken over, but at least there were still a few additions:

230 /NL 184. Green Woodpecker, Amersfoort, November. In our local patch of forest. I had heard it on several occasions, but not managed a photo sofar.

i-qpmFjK8-XL.jpg

An uncommon winter visitor had been spotted not too far from my home, so last Monday I took a chance of it still being around and drove to the spot. And fortunately I found it immediately, About 4 other birders/photographers were present and they were having a field day. The bird was not shy at all and in fact I sometimes wished I had a zoom lens instead of the fixed 300mm (600mm equivalent). But who's complaining....

231 /NL 185. Red Phalarope. Ede, December. It turned out this was my 200th bird in the country this yeat. My count here is 185, so I must have seen the other 15 when I had no camera with me or I had been too slow (a distinct possibility ;))

i-kvjDDtQ-X2.jpg

A hyper active little bird.....

Two worthwhile additions.

Just to be clear you are showing Red, sometimes known as Grey Phalarope, (Phalaropus fulicarius)? :P

Shame about the missing 15.

Edited by Galana

40 minutes ago, Galana said:

you are showing Red, sometimes known as Grey Phalarope

I am indeed! I did not realize it was also called Grey Phalarope. The other phalarope is called 'Grauwe Franjepoot' in Dutch, 'Grauwe' meaning 'grey'...... :blink:

Amazing.

Your Grauwe lobatus is what is called Red-necked Phalarope in my books and others including Sibley in USA.

And Sibley has fulicarius as Red.

I think I may take up train spotting or Stamp collecting.:(

Dave Williams

Excellent stuff!  The Vultures are bitter sweet memories Peter, I found the best spot to photograph them was on  the castle behind you. The vultures are flying at eye level alongside you. It was almost the moment I abandoned photography altogether when my pal was knocking out pin sharp images and mine were really soft. We were using exactly the same gear which my inability to capture a decent image all the more frustrating. This had been going on for several days. Happily I eventually discovered I had a fault with my 1.4 TC so I didn't abandon the hobby after all! I had organised a trip there last year but it was cancelled and the one for next year to replace it has dropped that part as only I seemed keen to go!

The Phalarope has to be one of the most confiding birds I have ever seen too. Great fun to photograph.

26 minutes ago, Dave Williams said:

Happily I eventually discovered I had a fault with my 1.4 TC so I didn't abandon the hobby after all!

Thanks, Dave. It must have been a frustrating experience! We did go up to the castle and spent a considerable time up there, waiting for vultures to fly by, but apparently that also very much depends on wind directions and other factors: not a single one ventured close. Anyway I'm glad you didn't give up on photography, that would have been our loss, too!

10 hours ago, Galana said:

I think I may take up train spotting or Stamp collecting

I might join you, although the latin interpretation of the Penny Red could also lead to confusion. It might even be considered a sub-stamp  ;)

Edited by PeterHG

Excellent additions, and superb vulture shots

I took a little walk this morning in our local park, hoping for a chance at a Goldcrest. I got its cousin instead.

232 /NL 186. Firecrest. Amersfoort, December. Just an EBC as it was far too quick for me... Still, the last time I saw it (according to my records) was in 1989, so quite happy with this. It is not rare and even in our little forest here it is sighted almost every other week, but never when I was there.

i-wspZNVt-XL.jpg

Well I did leave some poor birds behind, either because I was hoping for better shots or by sheer negligence.

233 /Pt 18 Common Greenshank. Algarve, September

i-Hj27SSN-L.jpg

234 / Pt 19. Meditteranean Gull. Algarve, September.

i-j9XkJ5L-XL.jpg

Back in August I spent a long time waiting for this warbler to show itself. And eventually it did, though very briefly.

235 / NL 187. Aquatic Warbler. Arkemheen, August.

i-wtkLQSH-L.jpg

Another reed dweller, even longer ago....

236 /NL 188. Savi's Warbler. Zevenhoven, May. I was happy enough getting this shot, so I certainly wasn't waiting for a better one. Well, I think that about covers the omitted birds. Probably not many chances at new ones with only a few weeks left, but you never know..

i-q8BfXqD-XL.jpg

2 hours ago, PeterHG said:

Probably not many chances at new ones with only a few weeks left, but you never know..

Michael Schumacher never lifted the throttle until the chequered flag.

If you have battery power there are two weeks still to go.

Great photos above.

On 12/8/2021 at 1:42 PM, PeterHG said:

it is sighted almost every other week, but never when I was there.

the story of my year :(

Those griffen vulture photos are fantastic