PeterHG’s sixth. Wherever it may take us.

PeterHG

Just wow Peter! Excellent sightings and photos!

Wow ti that last picture, stunning!!

Incredible shot!

2 hours ago, Kitsafari said:

with apologies to others, I have to vote this THE shot of this year's BY. 

Thank you @Kitsafari. I don't know about that, but it was certainly a once-in-a-lifetime experience for me! (Unless I'm going back next year, perhaps ;))

Thank you @michael-ibk, @pedro maia, @Peter Connan!

Definitely another Wow. Great photo.

And for an EBC too. Excellent Bloody Capture.

9 hours ago, Galana said:

And for an EBC too. Excellent Bloody Capture.

:D Thanks!

The next day we visited La Janda, a wetland area with pastures, coton fields, rice fields and canals. Although it is a rather well-known birding area, we did not really see that many birds. A few nice ones, though.

196 Sp 13. Montagu's Harrier. La Janda, September. Quite distant. This goes to show that not all raptors offered such spectacular views ;)

i-cxRQ5kB-L.jpg

Als rather distant (but who's complaining), a fly-by of this beautiful raptor

197 Sp 14. Black-winged Kite. La Janda, September

i-r69NSLq-XL.jpg

A Green Sandpiper did come quite close. Already counted this year

i-mvXdXs5-X2.jpg

Highlight of the day, my foot. B)

I would die a happy death with such a shot to my name.

Absolutely incredible! 

Our last day in Tarifa already. On the dirt road to our cottage there were often horses, donkleys, pigs and cattle freely roaming about. Most of the time accompanied by Cattle egrets

i-HkP6JHq-X2.jpg

One last visit to the wetland near the beach produced yet another addition.

198 Sp 15. Eurasian Whimbrel. Tarifa, September

i-j9SSN7H-L.jpg

And also a last look at the migration. We went to the Cazalla Watchpoint, one of the 'official' watchpoints, with a visitor centre and a a sunroof. It can get quite busy there, but we were fairly early, so we managed to secure a place in the shade, got out our folding chairs and telescope and spent an hour and a half there. There was little wind and not too many migrating raptors. Most of them stayed rather high up in these conditions, but it was a nice farewell to Tarifa anyway. Just before we left, though, a rather rare migrant was spotted:

199. Sp 16. Ruppel's Vulture. Tarifa, September. They are seen here once or twice a week. This one appeared to have wing tags, though I could not quite make out the code.

i-xv8HcV5-XL.jpg

i-jRcsMxm-XL.jpg

i-NVdsXsN-X2.jpg

11 hours ago, Kalaharikind said:

I would die a happy death with such a shot to my name.

Thank you @Kalaharikind! I'll keep that in mind...

4 hours ago, PeterHG said:

so we managed to secure a place in the shade, got out our folding chairs and telescope and spent an hour and a half there.

You forgot the Coolbox and Beer!:(

Spectacular picture of the eagle, Peter, just stunning!!

Originally we had planned to visit the Cota Donana after Tarifa, but the guide we went out with told us that the area was so dry it probably wouldn't be worth spending time there. So we drove straight to the eastern Algarve, where we had found a place on AirBnb, near the little town of Moncarapacho, some 10 kilometres from the coast. A nice little cottage with a large garden. The day after we arrived we first drove to Fuseta beach, to take a walk on the beach there and enjoy the sunny weather.

i-fzz9w7x-XL.jpg

We did get one addition there:

200 P01. Crested Lark, Algarve, September. As @michael-ibkpointed out in this Portugal thread, it is virtually impossible to tell Thekla and Crested lark apart, but I feel quite confident about this one, both by bill and habitat.

i-NGH8hqT-XL.jpg

In the afternoon we had arranged to meet up with @michael-ibkand @AndMic to visit the Quinta de Marim reserve near Olhão. We spent a very pleasant afternoon birding with the four of us, although, if you read Michael's tale closely, I must have dampened his photographic enjoyment (and skills) by my presence :unsure:. Blissfully unaware of this at the time, I managed to catch some nice waders in flight. Red Knot and Bar-tailed Godwit, both already counted. :D

i-GnL2hng-X2.jpg

The birding was perhaps not as good as we'd hoped, but at least I managed a shot of the little warbler that had escaped me until now. Seen many times, but with very few chances of a photo.

201 P02. Sardinian Warbler, Algarve, September

i-3MnNV65-XL.jpg

The day ended with a with good food and even better talks at a remote little restaurant. All made possible by this great community. Thanks @Game Wardenfor creating this.

Congratulations on your 2nd Century in this difficult year and on nailing the elusive Sardinian Warbler.

congrats on the 200th and enjoying good company. 

Congrats on the second century Peter, another ST who reached that milestone in my country ;).

Congrats on #200 Peter, excellent stuff all along this thread - as every year. And you certainly didn't damp anything. 🙂

Yes congratulations on reaching 200