Zim Girl's 4th Big Year 2021

Zim Girl

We visited WWT Caerlaverock on our way home hoping to see the geese, but it was empty apart from a few ducks and mute swans on the pond.  So we cut our losses and headed straight back down the motorway and stopped off at RSPB Leighton Moss instead.  The sun had come out by then and we had a pleasant couple of hours wandering around the hides.  I got one new bird.  A group of Knot had joined a large flock of Godwits on one of the lakes, here are some of them on a raft of reeds.

129.  Knot

P1410837c.jpg.386f105f0989050ac6a828bb46270890.jpg

I have two other birds from the trip that I haven't posted yet as I want to confirm the ID's first.

I am pretty sure the first one is a Red-throated Diver in winter plumage.  What do you think @Galana?  It looks a bit like the one you have recently posted I think. Found near the harbour at Isle of Whithorn.

130.  Red-throated Diver

P1410453c.jpg.d9eb56ccf225a2dbdc2576c9e84ed528.jpg

The other is a total guess. Is this a Tree Pipit?  Found at Clatteringshaws, Galloway Forest.  Rubbish picture, I know, but it was raining and dark.

P1410212c.jpg.19020abd38bac3b5611f749b1d6a8735.jpg

Edited by Zim Girl
ID correct for first bird, thanks to @Galana

Towlersonsafari

I have been wondering about a few days in dumfries and Galloway @Zim Girl- we have never been there

You are correct twice.

Red-throated Diver. Could even be the cousin of the one I photoed this week as the sites are about 17 miles apart.

You are also correct about the other photo. It is rubbish:lol:! Is it a Tree Pipit? I don't honestly know. Two things mitigate against it. They should be gone by now and the long hind claw of a Meadow pipit seems evident. Call it a Wire Pipit.

I am hopeful of better things in Galloway in four weeks time. And a quick stop off in Leighton Moss too.

Love the Squirrels. I must find that place.

Cute little squirrels!

the galloway forest looks enchanting. I can almost imagine elves and fairies except it looked a bit wet so the elves and fairies have probably skipped town too. 

3 hours ago, Kitsafari said:

it looked a bit wet so the elves and fairies have probably skipped town too. 

Scottish Pixies are a sub species called Kelpies or Faeries and can be recognised in the woods as they wear their wellies with their troos tucked down. If you see them back away genuflecting and don't speak as they can be a bit malign.

18 hours ago, Towlersonsafari said:

I have been wondering about a few days in dumfries and Galloway @Zim Girl- we have never been there

We really liked the area and will def go back sometime.

13 hours ago, Galana said:

You are correct twice.

Red-throated Diver. Could even be the cousin of the one I photoed this week as the sites are about 17 miles apart.

You are also correct about the other photo. It is rubbish:lol:! Is it a Tree Pipit? I don't honestly know. Two things mitigate against it. They should be gone by now and the long hind claw of a Meadow pipit seems evident. Call it a Wire Pipit.

I am hopeful of better things in Galloway in four weeks time. And a quick stop off in Leighton Moss too.

Love the Squirrels. I must find that place.

Thanks, so that is 2 lifers from Whithorn inc the Gannet.  I had no expectations for the pipit :D, in fact, I have gone right off pipits!  

You will have a great time I am sure, and get all the geese, swans and ducks I missed.

4 hours ago, Kitsafari said:

Cute little squirrels!

the galloway forest looks enchanting. I can almost imagine elves and fairies except it looked a bit wet so the elves and fairies have probably skipped town too. 

Forests make great places to walk when it is raining, more protection from the weather!

Excellent additions from Scotland, and beautiful Red Squirrels!

Love the Squirrels, well done. 

Dave Williams

The Red Squirrel always makes the heart warm!

wow, what a sight all those Red Kites!

On 10/19/2021 at 5:29 AM, Galana said:

Call it a Wire Pipit.

Ha ha, I think the Pipits are tricksy enough already for most folks....

Love the forest and the furry birds

• 2 weeks later...

I met up with @Galanaand his lovely wife at RSPB Leighton Moss on Friday.  The weather was wet and windy but we had a very nice time in the various hides on the reserve.  There were plenty of birds around, the Marsh harriers in particular put on a great display.  Fred stayed over the night before and had popped into the reserve yesterday afternoon and found the hybrid duck that had turned up for his 3rd winter at LM.  The RSPB have id' it as a Northern Shoveler x Cinnamon Teal so we have both given ourselves the tick for the teal!

131.  Northern Shoveler x Cinnamon Teal

P1420029c.jpg.1057b897a514774321c2b06ebadcb64c.jpg

In better light when I dropped back in the next morning to show Adrian (the weather was much better).

P1420181c.jpg.fbcaae5bab1ab11692dc78d91e86a0d6.jpg

Sitting next to the hybrid shoveler the next morning was a pintail which I also needed.

132.  Northern Pintail

P1420140c.jpg.1e7252301445a6cd647ca97f0834387c.jpg

P1420143c.jpg.62c1d5f3e75f58c79288f58c748c8afc.jpg

RSPB Leighton Moss  -  13/11/21

The Bearded Tits have been showing really well on the reserve this year.

133.  Bearded Tit (Reedling)

P1420045c.jpg.2042520b444288b742fabc2b2fce21dc.jpg

P1420054c.jpg.5f07e88aac385fc0c5a8d277efd84d29.jpg

RSPB Leighton Moss  -  13/11/21

A couple of duplicates.

We have been seeing a Grey Wagtail in the back garden most days recently.  A very nice bird to see at home.

P1410911c.jpg.ad2148cd2e4d50c077f5e5a5e5275a97.jpg

And a new bird for our garden list,  photo taken by Adrian!

P1410913c.jpg.b9c339412ba09f8fe49f44aa58590a61.jpg

Lovely Bearded Tits! And of course the joint hybrid experience.

Great Beardies and of course the Mongrel drake. A tick shared is surely twice as enjoyable.

Dave Williams

@Galanatoo   Shame on you both !!!! :D A hybrid mongrel duck as a Teal tick! If I go down to a local park I can see loads of Mallard combinations!!

2 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

@Galanatoo   Shame on you both !!!! :D A hybrid mongrel duck as a Teal tick! If I go down to a local park I can see loads of Mallard combinations!!

In my defence, Fred said I could :ph34r:, and 'this is not just any old teal, it is a cinnamon teal'. :)

Edited by Zim Girl

Dave Williams
2 hours ago, Zim Girl said:

In my defence, Fred said I could :ph34r:, and 'this is not just any old teal, it is a cinnamon teal'. :)

Might of guessed he'd lead you on the slippery slope. Dodgy character as now you know!

6 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

Dodgy character as now you know!

Oh Sir. They say it takes one to know one.:o

And in our my defence we were guided by an expert. For my part, and with the support of a guest here at Caerlaverock, we think it has Blue-winged Teal more than Cinnamon and a tick is a tick.:D

• 1 month later...

So it's that time of year when all the rubbish comes out of the EBC box.  I still might be able to gain another one or two birds over the holiday but if not I have still had my best UK score yet, so pretty happy with that.

These birds cover the whole of the year when I was still hoping I might do better!

134.  Common Pochard

P1350041c.jpg.ec59f2df1769fe9ca94ec4328ad2e43c.jpg

Stanley Park, Blackpool  -  15/03/21

This picture was taken when the tide was out and all the waders were a very long way away over the estuary, but you can still see the general 'golden' colour even if you can't see the actual birds.

135.  Golden Plover

P1410901c.jpg.4db39fc2ba19a359763bc0cd5a64d678.jpg

Glasson Dock  -  16/10/21