Zim Girl's 4th Big Year 2021

Zim Girl

6 minutes ago, Soukous said:

Ooh! can you tell me where it is please? I hope to stop off there on way to or from Scotland in Summer and have never managed to get Dipper photos. We don't have them in the East

OS reference is SD533415.  If you google Beacon Fell Country Park and bring up a map, work west from there until you come to the River Brock and south a bit to an area called Brock Bottom. Follow this SW along the river to a place called Brockside.  We park here in a layby and follow the river from there, under Walmsley Bridge and north of Brock Bottom.  I think you would be very unlucky not to find one along this stretch.  Grey wagtails can also be seen, and if you are very lucky, kingfisher.  We have seen a couple but only flying past.

Just out of interest I created a spreadsheet detailing all the different birds we have seen in the garden and flying over since living here and got the following numbers. 

33 seen in the garden and another 5 seen flying over.

Will have to see if we can add to that list.

7 minutes ago, Zim Girl said:

Just out of interest I created a spreadsheet detailing all the different birds we have seen in the garden and flying over since living here and got the following numbers. 

33 seen in the garden and another 5 seen flying over.

Good variety. we have about 20 regular visitors and 3 or 4 occasional ones. 

Great Dipper series! It has been years since I last saw one. And also quite an impressive number of birds on your garden list.

impressive numbers in your garden!

love those dippers . 

Edited by Kitsafari

Off to a great start Angie, love the Goldcrest. Very cool also to see a Fox like that. Dippers are always cool, I am lucky that there are plenty of them in my area. Not much birding for me right now, too much snow!

6 hours ago, michael-ibk said:

Off to a great start Angie, love the Goldcrest. Very cool also to see a Fox like that. Dippers are always cool, I am lucky that there are plenty of them in my area. Not much birding for me right now, too much snow!

That Goldcrest has been appearing most days at the moment.  I was quite impressed to see the fox as well.

There is an area of freshwater marshland not far from us, that at this time of year is very good for ducks.  We went yesterday and came away with the 3 species of duck we were expecting and also a bonus wader!

7.  Northern Shoveler

P1320872c.jpg.d1d915cf3d4c66b0f78bb9c3ecc89827.jpg

Newton Marsh  -  17/01/21

8.  Eurasian Wigeon

P1320753c.jpg.606b1c1076ed99f4e79936f237db62c5.jpg

9.  Eurasian Teal

P1320774c.jpg.f3cc6c0c785d336bce67d1a56705eb4a.jpg

P1320767c.jpg.ee14de986977ec02be5ee698fc0edd3f.jpg

10.  Black-tailed Godwit

P1320869c.jpg.b1bd13230fe0ab9c32a5f955a7bf8cd0.jpg

Very nice. The teals especially. Good to see that spring is just around the corner with the Godwit going Technicolour.

Gorgeous teals

18 hours ago, Galana said:

Very nice. The teals especially. Good to see that spring is just around the corner with the Godwit going Technicolour.

I do hope so!  There were a couple of Godwits in bright plumage, they are a very attractive wader I think.

lovely to see the godwit's plumage swapping colours

Another garden bird, been seeing these two most days at the moment.

11.  Eurasian Collared Dove

P1330007c.jpg.e1c092a1ad74c6f7be189af87443d8d0.jpg

P1330011c.jpg.7027eea55b7a2bc9f4ade864c1dcacb3.jpg

Back garden  -  22/01/21

Nice Ducks. Particularly like the Shoveller, really beautiful.

You've got some lovely ducks, all so pretty. Fantastic to see the Godwit looking completely different than the usual shades of grey I see here in Summer (not that I see them that often)

There are some fields near the coast where you are pretty much guaranteed to find Whooper swans in the winter, so we dropped by on our way back from a walk yesterday.

12.  Whooper Swan

P1330426c.jpg.2536a834b623b850fdd79eb22450266d.jpg

P1330423c.jpg.f6435ed7ca8888dd654ef2a1cb05e6b7.jpg

Fields near Glasson Dock  -  30/01/21

We did the RSPB Bird Watch for the first time this year and were pretty successful I think.  No pictures because we were concentrating on looking and counting.  We did our hour from 12pm until 1pm on Friday and got a total of 26 birds and 12 species.  Mainly the usual garden suspects but the Tree sparrows also came out to play and the Goldcrest put in an appearance as well at the end of the hour.