Like many on their first safari I visited Tanzania's iconic Serengeti and the northern circuit, but my second safari was to be very different. I did a deep dive into African wildlife conservation, community support and tourism conservation which kept leading me to a word that sounded fascinating and an organization that was truly noteworthy. Zakouma, Zakouma, Zakouma ... it seemed like those in the know were all raving about this remarkable conservation success story located in a remote corner of south-east Chad. And as I read the story of Zakouma, I read the story of African Parks, a wildlife conservation organization that manages Zakouma and 19 other national parks across Africa. I was so impressed with Zakouma and African Parks that I wanted to visit so I could contribute to Zakouma's exemplary conservation story.   

Zakouma National Park is off the beaten safari track and required a thorough investigation into the logistics of travel to such a remote location and the best opportunities to visit - either solo or with a group. I did my homework, over about a 2 year period; I contacted every safari guide and agency that was leading trips to Zakouma. I even contacted Zakouma directly and inquired as to solo travel. In the end, I decided to travel with a small group led by the remarkable Sangeeta Prasad founder of the pioneering safari agency Chalo Africa and Kenyan guide/naturalist extraordinaire Zarek Cockar who was our guide for the Zakouma segment, in an itinerary that would encompass both Zakouma and the Ennedi, a rocky plateau and desert region of Chad that I longed to visit. Sangeeta's Zakouma and Ennedi trip was the only itinerary that included both areas and gave them the time they required, as well as the Ouadi-Rimé Ouadi-Achim Game Reserve in Central Chad. I definitely made the right decision and embarked on one of the most unforgettable trips of my life.

ZAKOUMA
- a truly authentic wildlife experience in Africa
- species in huge numbers and great diversity
- interesting and varied terrain 
- visited Riguiek Pan twice and it was fabulous - a birders paradise
- great for birders, but also fantastic for other species 
- the Zakouma elephants are a legendary wildlife conservation success story.  I was lucky to witness, for about an hour, a vast herd of about 300 elephants leisurely cross a river - this was the sighting of a lifetime and brought tears to my eyes

Wildlife Sightings:
- cheetah (very rare to see in Zakouma, but they are there), lions (multiple prides), african wild cat, serval
- roan, tiang, kudu, lewel hartbeest, red-fronted gazelle, western kob, defassa waterbuck, bush buck, bohor reedbuck, duiker
- buffalo (huge herds)
- Kordofan giraffe (large numbers)
- elephants 
- striped hyena, spotted hyena
- patas monkeys, tantalus monkeys, baboons
- many civets, genets and bush babies 
- ostrich
- crocodiles, savannah monitor lizard, spurs tortoise
- cobra

Birds:
- enchanting clouds of red billed quelea murmurs
- carmine bee eater, red throated bee eater, green bee eater
- great white pelican
- black crowned crane
- african spoonbill
- knob-billed duck, white faced whistling duck
- egyptian goose, spur winged goods
- saddle bill stork, wholly necked stork, african open billed stork, marabou stork
- abyssian crowned hornbill, african grey hornbill, northern red billed hornbill
- bateleur eagle, tawny eagle, african frish eagle, long crested eagle
- greyish eagle owl
- senegal coucal
- abyssian roller
- spur winged plover, african wattle plover
- great white egrets, little egrets, cattle egrets
- sacred ibis, glossy ibis
- purple starling, long tailed starling, nightjars

TINGA CAMP
- loved Tinga Camp and highly recommend it 
- a comfortable down-to-earth camp with a fabulous location overlooking a dried river valley that acted as an avian highway - awesome!
- the rooms were neat and comfortable with a bed, desk/chair and closet with an overhead fans, electrical outlets and mosquito nets (though did not need the nets as it was dry season so did not really notice any mosquitos)
- each room had an ensuite toilet and a separate shower and sink area
- each chalets is built with 4 separate rooms that are well sound proofed 
- the main open-air reception, dining and lounge area which is also thatched and overlooks the riverbed is just simply perfect
- excellent food 
- great service
- outstanding guiding and safaris (mornings, afternoons and evenings)

I visited Ennedi in late February and Zakouma in early March 2020, just before Covid shut the world down and I am so glad I went! 

We flew into Zakouma on a charter flight from the Chadian capital of N'Djamena and we drove back with a tented camping overnight enroute as it is a long drive. 

We did the Ennedi portion of the trip in 4x4 vehicles driving the entire distance, due to a cancellation of the scheduled domestic flights. But it was awesome - quite the roadtrip - and I would do it again in a heartbeat!

Zakouma is unforgettable! If you ever get the chance to go, GO!
It's an authentic safari in the conservation story of the century.

I will attempt to write a day-by-day trip report (might be point form) and add more photos for Zakouma and Ennedi soon. 

For now, here are a few photos of Tinga Camp.

DSCN4174.JPG

DSCN2821.JPG

DSCN4089.JPG

DSCN4101.JPG

DSCN4496.JPG

thumbnail_20200303_172800.jpg

thumbnail_20200303_175835.jpg

thumbnail_20200303_175503.jpg

Edited by RC88COR

Great start @RC88CORand welcome to Safaritalk.

Sounds wonderful and looking forward to learning more. 

Good timing too with another TR for us homebound Aussies to enjoy!

Roll on.

This is going to bring back great memories @RC88COR, looking forward to more :)

michael-ibk

What Ian said. Zakouma is such a great place, and I also look back very fondly at Tinga. More more more please!:)

ZAKOUMA - DAY 1

Our small group and guide Zarek Cockar flew from N'Djamena to Zakouma. The flight was about 2 hours in duration, but fascinating to see the landscape of the Sahel from such a perspective overlooking large rock formations and villages. We were met at the plane by the Tinga manager who drove us the short distance to Tinga camp while introducing us to Zakouma NP, with a few bull elephants who made an appearance along the way. We arrived at Tinga Camp after lunch to a warm reception, checked in and settled into our chalet rooms. 

We decided to do a night safari from 7-10:30pm on Day 1 as our first safari in Zakouma. We did a few evening/night safaris during our week at Zakouma and this first night safari would be the beginning of our civet and genet count, as it seems Zakouma has a lot of them, more than most wildlife areas according to our guide. 

I only have videos in MOV format from this night drive, but I do think there are some photos taken on other evening/night excursions coming up in the TR.

My photos are taken with a hybrid camera, nothing fancy, so the photo quality is what it is. I am interested more in taking photos as visual memories.

Here is a list of our first night safari sightings:

civet x 5

genet x 4

bush baby x 4

african wild cat 

side stripe jackal

Lelwel hartebeests

red fronted gazelles

Kordofan giraffes

buffalo

greyish eagle owl

nightjars

DSCN2786.JPG

DSCN2789.JPG

DSCN2799.JPG

DSCN2803.JPG

DSCN2806.JPG

DSCN2835.JPG

Edited by RC88COR

ZAKOUMA - DAY 2 

Morning

- enroute to the Riguiek Pan 

I was super excited to start the first daytime Zakouma safari. I really wanted to get a feel of the park and the wildlife. I sensed that today was going to be epic, and it was.

I found out at breakfast that we were heading to the Riguiek Pan, and I could not wait!  I had heard so much about the Riguiek Pan and seen many photos of the vast numbers and diversity of birds that converge on this pan during their migratory routes. I wondered if it would live up to my expectations. It did, and then some!

But first, here are a few photos of the sightings enroute to the Riguiek Pan, giving me a sense of what was to come in Zakouma.

DSCN2862.JPG.60b2fde845d021d4eb6f716a4f93b0b6.JPG

DSCN2856.JPG

DSCN2861.JPG

DSCN2865.JPG

DSCN2869.JPG

DSCN2876.JPG

DSCN2883.JPG

DSCN2888.JPG

DSCN2901.JPG

DSCN2904.JPG

DSCN2908.JPG

gatoratlarge

@RC88COR  Wow!   Anthing about Zakouma always is of interest and seeing photos of Ennedi --- well it's just amazing!!! 

So excited for this trip report!  I went to Zakouma using Chalo with a great group of fellow Safaritalkers 3(?) years ago (doesn't seem possible but with covid, time has really gotten crazy to gauge) and I thought it was fantastic, but I wanted to return to see the Ennedi region as soon as I saw African Parks involvement and the photos are over the top!!!  So next year I'm trying to rustle up a group of six to go to Zakouma, Ennedi and Ouadi-Rimé Ouadi-Achim Game Reserve just like y'all did!  The cherry on top being Ouadi Rime and seeing the rarest of desert wildlife reintroduced into the Sahara!

I'm arranging through Chalo as well and we're doing the same itinerary except I think we've booked a charter flight to Ennedi and then to Zakouma and back to N'jamena so we'll save a few days on the road that way (although that sounds like an adventure as well) our American allowance for vacation days hasn't advanced like Europe and other countries :wacko:

How was Zarek Cockar?  He has agreed to guide us in Zakouma as well....your wildlife viewing list looked to be very impressive!

If any SafariTalkers are interested in joining us, PM me.

@gatoratlarge Thanks for the comment.

I will be posting a lot of Ennedi and OROA photos after I finish with the Zakouma segment of the trip. We actually did Ennedi and OROA first, then Zakouma. We had planned to fly in and out of Ennedi, but the commercially scheduled flights were cancelled at the last minute, so we had to drive in and out which added a few unexpected long travel days, but you won't have that issue with your charter flights.

Ennedi was awesome, magnificent, adventurous, meditative - we realized early on that it really defied description and has to be experienced. 

The Zakouma Ennedi combination itinerary is easily one of the very best travel experiences of my life!  

Zarek Cockar was great! I was so impressed by his experience, knowledge, demeanor and guiding capabilities. I would join any itinerary where he is the guide. 

Edited by RC88COR

ZAKOUMA - DAY 2 

Morning safari continued ...

Riguiek Pan 

I think I will just let the photos speak for themselves. Please note my camera zoom could not capture the depth of field with great clarity, but I like the atmospheric painterly quality of the blurred images. You will also see a photo of Camp Nomade which sits on the edge of the pan. 

Enjoy!

DSCN2914.JPG

DSCN2922.JPG

DSCN2923.JPG

DSCN2927.JPG

DSCN2941.JPG

DSCN2943.JPG

DSCN2945.JPG

DSCN2955.JPG

DSCN2997.JPG

DSCN2991.JPG

DSCN2999.JPG

And here is a Camp Nomade photo.

DSCN2960.JPG.43694831b61d048f0b5aaead03be8dac.JPG

Edited by RC88COR

Botswanadreams

It's so great that you @RCC88OR started this trip report. It will give me many fantastic memories. You were very lucky to get the combination with Zarek and Steve for Zakouma. We know Zarek from a trip to Lake Turkana. Ennedi is a ones in a lifetime place to visit and we enjoined it as an addition to Zakouma very much in 2019. 

8 hours ago, Botswanadreams said:

It's so great that you @RCC88OR started this trip report. It will give me many fantastic memories. You were very lucky to get the combination with Zarek and Steve for Zakouma. We know Zarek from a trip to Lake Turkana. Ennedi is a ones in a lifetime place to visit and we enjoined it as an addition to Zakouma very much in 2019. 

And thank you @BotswanadreamsI saw your beautiful trip report on your Zakouma Ennedi trip; it helped me make my decision to go. 

ZAKOUMA - DAY 2 

morning - enroute back to Tinga Camp

I have also included a couple photos from the morning after Riguiek Pan on the way back to Tinga Camp. We came across a murmur of red billed quelea - so beautiful. I wish I could include the videos. It would be a taste of what was to come.

Here are a few highlights - a solo Roan male and the beautiful orange/red gum arabic tress seen throughout Zakouma.

We also had a brief visit to a Zakouma headquarters to see bull elephants that drink from a nearby waterhole. They have grown to trust Zakouma personnel, and come close to drink from a waterhose held by visitors. It was a very moving experience. To see Zakouma elephants with their history of severe poaching and terror by humans, garner the trust to venture close to humans. This is a true testament to what African Parks has achieved with the conservation story of Zakouma National Park.

DSCN3039.JPG

DSCN3040.JPG

DSCN3061.JPG

DSCN3129.JPG

DSCN3142.JPG

DSCN3141.JPG

DSCN3127.JPG

DSCN3131.JPG

DSCN3207.JPG

DSCN3204.JPG

DSCN3213.JPG

DSCN3176.JPG

DSCN3144.JPG

DSCN3151.JPG

DSCN3164.JPG

DSCN3182.JPG

Edited by RC88COR

ZAKOUMA - DAY 2

afternoon safari

After lunch at Tinga Camp we headed back out for a late afternoon safari. It was hot, but not too bad, about 30-32C. It was a comfortable hot.

After our visit to the Riguiek Pan in the morning, I was eager to see and experience more of Zakouma. 

We saw red-throated bee-eaters riverside cliff hole-nest, which was pretty awesome! 

You can also see a photo with large crocodile hole-nests in the riverside cliff. This was in the same area as the red-throated bee-eaters nests.

And we ended up doing an impromptu riverside walk to watch from a distance two lionesses and a lion lying along the river observing a buffalo who had waded into the river. I think the buffalo was old or injured. When we returned two days later and found the buffalo carcass, probably killed by the lions during the night.

(A photo of the buffalo is intentionally blurry - I was being creative - and it is one of my favourite photos of Zakouma, so including it here.)

The drive back to Tinga was partly a night safari. This is when we saw a striped hyena. I had to be very quick with my camera to get this photo, so it's quite (unintentionally) blurry, but you can still see the stripe on the hyena. I understand it is not too common to see a striped hyena. 

DSCN3218.JPG

DSCN3241.JPG

DSCN3220.JPG

DSCN3252.JPG

DSCN3221.JPG

DSCN3223.JPG

DSCN3227.JPG

DSCN3228.JPG

DSCN3231.JPG

DSCN3234.JPG

DSCN3244.JPG

DSCN3268.JPG

DSCN3276.JPG

DSCN3251.JPG

DSCN3287.JPG

DSCN3290.JPG

Edited by RC88COR

gatoratlarge

wow!  A striped hyena!  That is a great sighting!  Never seen one...yet! :)

@gatoratlargeyes, we were very lucky to see a striped hyena. But Zakouma had even more surprises in store for us. 

ZAKOUMA - DAY 3 

morning safari

This morning would be all about lions with two different sightings: a pride of 4 females and 1 young male finishing off a kill and then drinking some water with a couple of spotted hyenas waiting in the wings, and then later on a lioness with 2 cubs resting under a tree. 

Hyenas are fascinating. I included a photo of the 2 hyenas and their meeting behaviour.

There also was a lone male Roan nearby who quickly picked up the scent of the lions and stamped and snorted to let the pride know he knew they were there. 

Also spotted a female ostrich, Lewel Hartebeests, a striped gazelle (they are fast - hard to get a good photo), a bull elephant wading in the water, baboons, and road markings left by a puff adder.

Starting off with a photo of one of the resident bushbucks at Tinga Camp.

Love bushbucks - they are like abstract paintings.

DSCN3292.JPG

DSCN3301.JPG

DSCN3309.JPG

DSCN3335.JPG

DSCN3341.JPG

DSCN3354.JPG

DSCN3357.JPG

DSCN3366.JPG

DSCN3376.JPG

DSCN3393.JPG

DSCN3412.JPG

DSCN3414.JPG

DSCN3442.JPG

DSCN3449.JPG

DSCN3403.JPG

DSCN3407.JPG

ZAKOUMA - DAY 3 

morning safari - continued

Also spotted a female ostrich, Lewel Hartebeests, a striped gazelle (they are fast - hard to get a good photo), a bull elephant wading in the water, baboons, and road markings left by a puff adder.

DSCN3465.JPG

DSCN3468.JPG

DSCN3470.JPG

DSCN3397.JPG

DSCN3473.JPG

DSCN3474.JPG

DSCN3483.JPG

DSCN3488.JPG

DSCN3494.JPG

DSCN3513.JPG

DSCN3527.JPG

DSCN3520.JPG

DSCN3535.JPG

DSCN3540.JPG

DSCN3542.JPG

DSCN3548.JPG

ZAKOUMA - DAY 3

afternoon/evening safari 

The afternoon safari was quite atmospheric, ending with a beautiful sunset and some of my favourite images. 

We saw patas monkeys but from quite a distance, so the photos are not super sharp. Other highlights included a nile monitor lizard, African spoonbill, and a white tailed mongoose (but no photo - I wasn't fast enough).

We also saw a number of Kordofan giraffes. Love Kordofan giraffes - what a stunningly beautiful animal! 

I included a few landscape photos (some with a creative blur) to give you an impression of the terrain.

The evening ended with a surprise sighting of a large solitary lion who was just getting up to start his territorial patrol. We followed him for a bit as he walked down the road infront of us marking his territory.

DSCN3573.JPG

DSCN3582.JPG

DSCN3586.JPG

DSCN3590.JPG

DSCN3597.JPG

DSCN3601.JPG

DSCN3602.JPG

DSCN3603.JPG

DSCN3605.JPG

DSCN3616.JPG

DSCN3613.JPG

DSCN3623.JPG

DSCN3624.JPG

DSCN3630.JPG

DSCN3639.JPG

Edited by RC88COR

ZAKOUMA - DAY 3

afternoon/evening safari - continued (more photos)

DSCN3708.JPG

DSCN3697.JPG

DSCN3715.JPG

DSCN3734.JPG

DSCN3653.JPG

DSCN3655.JPG

DSCN3660.JPG

DSCN3665.JPG

DSCN3670.JPG

DSCN3677.JPG

DSCN3688.JPG

DSCN3733.JPG

DSCN3748.JPG

DSCN3749.JPG

DSCN3750.JPG

DSCN3736.JPG

DSCN3743.JPG

ZAKOUMA - DAY 4

full day safari 

Zakouma's elephants

I had read so much about the history of Zakouma's elephants, about the poaching terror years and of African Parks resolve to protect and create a safe landscape for them to thrive. I knew the elephant numbers were up, with over 100 calfs and sub-adult elephants born in the last couple of years. The elephants were beginning to bred again, which was great news! 

So when we started out for our full day safari in search of the large elephant herds of Zakouma I crossed my fingers and hoped that we might get so lucky as to see them. Another group staying at Tinga Camp heard them, but could not find or reach them. So, we headed out hoping that we would have better luck, and I am thrilled to say we did! I will write more on the elephants (with tons of photos) in the next post.

We took lunch and lots of water with us for this full day safari. It was going to be a very hot day! We were headed quite a distance from Tinga Camp in the direction of where the large elephant herds were seen last, a good 2-3 hour drive from camp. 

We made a quick stop to the riverbed where we had done our impromptu walk with the lions watching the buffalo wading into the water a couple days ago. All that was left was the buffalo carcass and tons of vultures.

In the same area, we came across a magnificent Kudu. It was difficult to get a good photo as the area was thick with bushes and trees.

Enroute to the elephants we passed by a massive herd of stampeding buffalo. I managed to get 1 photo of the herd  through the trees, you can just see the herd in the distance, they went by so fast! The sound of the stampede was powerful. We would see them again in the afternoon on our way back from the elephants. 

And we also passed by the boma made for the rhino that were translocated to Zakouma. The 2 rhino were now out living in the park and being closely monitored by African Parks rangers. I have included a photo of the boma. 

DSCN3755.JPG

DSCN3756.JPG

DSCN3770.JPG

DSCN3782.JPG

DSCN3784.JPG

DSCN3790.JPG

DSCN3794.JPG

DSCN3795.JPG

DSCN3798.JPG

DSCN3799.JPG

DSCN3808.JPG

DSCN3810.JPG

DSCN3811.JPG

DSCN3812.JPG

DSCN3821.JPG

DSCN3822.JPG

DSCN3823.JPG

DSCN3827.JPG

DSCN3828.JPG

DSCN3829.JPG

Edited by RC88COR

ZAKOUMA - DAY 4

full day safari - continued

Zakouma's elephants

Our Tinga Camp guide Togi and his father Ibrahim a Zakouma ranger were incredible! They had an idea of where the large elephant herd was due to African Parks tracking/monitoring system and while we were looking for the herd were in contact with the ranger HQ, but ultimately it was due to their impressive tracking skills and knowledge of the park and the elephants behaviour that we were able to find the large herd. 

It was around 11:30 when we approached a bend in the river surrounded by densely wooded areas. Our guide and tracker ascertained that the elephant herd was nearby and would be heading towards the river. We would wait there for them, so the vehicle was positioned on the riverside and we waited. 

It wasn't long before small groups of elephants began arriving and crossing the river to our left. There were about 30 elephants in small groups of 5, 7, 2 ... We watched for about 30 minutes as they swam and enjoyed the river while crossing to the other side. We were positioned perfectly, not too close to them, but still a good visual, and downwind so they could not pick up our scent. We all watched silently; it was beautiful. But this was not the big herd we were waiting for; they were still heading in our direction. 

While we waited for the big herd to arrive we had our lunch near the vehicle on the riverside. We soon ventured back to sit in and around the vehicle to wait for the big herd. 

We could hear them coming, before we could see them. The sound of the herd of elephants we had been tracking all day was really close, to our right this time. And then it happened, the herd started to emerge from the woods and into the river. At first we could see 1 the large matriarch leading the herd, then 10, 20, 30, the numbers just kept growing. Soon there were so many elephants in the river that they must have been 50 deep, and encompassed the entire river width while continuously crossing for about 45 minutes to 1 hour. They trumpted, sprayed water, drank, socialized - it was pure joy! Our guides and tracker estimated the herd to be 300+! There were many elephant calfs and younger sub-adults in the herd as well - a strong healthy herd. 

I don't think anyone said a word; I was moved to tears. 

The first set of photos are of the 30 elephants that arrived first to the left of our vehicle. 

The next set of photos will be the big herd. I have video of the crossing which I wish you could see and hear.

DSCN3861.JPG

DSCN3862.JPG

DSCN3851.JPG

DSCN3869.JPG

DSCN3875.JPG

DSCN3892.JPG

DSCN3907.JPG

DSCN3912.JPG

Edited by RC88COR

ZAKOUMA - DAY 4

full day safari - continued

Zakouma's elephants

And here are photos of the big 300+ herd of Zakouma elephants!

You will see some big bulls at the end of the herd crossing.

DSCN3917.JPG

DSCN3918.JPG

DSCN3919.JPG

DSCN3920.JPG

DSCN3921.JPG

DSCN3923.JPG

DSCN3926.JPG

DSCN3927.JPG

DSCN3940.JPG

DSCN3942.JPG

DSCN3943.JPG

DSCN3944.JPG

DSCN3945.JPG

DSCN3946.JPG

DSCN3948.JPG

DSCN3950.JPG

DSCN3956.JPG

DSCN3960.JPG

DSCN3966.JPG

DSCN3968.JPG

DSCN3975.JPG

DSCN3984.JPG

DSCN3999.JPG

DSCN4001.JPG

WOW! and so many youngsters. How wonderful to see.