2023 for better or worse _ Soukous

Soukous

Well done, your patience paid off

Beautiful series of the Dartford Warbler!

michael-ibk

Beautiful Martin!

1 hour ago, Soukous said:

I think it is the other one,

So do I. Lovely to see Dartford Warblers spreading well.

Re the cherry stealer. Years ago we had a cure and were paid 1/- (5p) per tail to employ it.

Now the eco way is to encourage Martes to move in. Not as noisy too.

Dave Williams

Catching up with your travels Martin. Shame Handa was a bit of a disappointment, we had a beautiful day when we went two years ago and it was magical with stunning white sand and blue sea. Sad to hear about the Great Skuas too, and it appears you didn't see an Arctic one at all.

I must admit our tour of Scotland wasn't the best from a birding perspective but I would love to go back for the Dolphins at Chanonry Point, the Black Guillemots at Oban and possibly another crack at Handa.

13 hours ago, Galana said:

Lovely to see Dartford Warblers spreading well.

Yes indeed.

This was a surprise for me as other local locations where Dartfords are found can be very hit & miss with just 1 or 2 pairs. This spot, had between 12-20 Dartfords, possibly more. And it's close to home. Don't quite know how I missed it until now.

Beautiful Dartford warbler pictures!

As for the Whitethroat, the legs look quite dark, don’t they?

1 hour ago, pedro maia said:

As for the Whitethroat, the legs look quite dark, don’t they?

that is what I thought as well. 

• 2 weeks later...

I've had quite a few fruitless outings lately. I enjoy the walk but coming back empty handed is always a bit frustrating.

not many to keep the total ticking over.

# 171 - Greylag Goose - Anser anser

RSPB Boyton Marshes, Suffolk. July 2023

greylags.jpg.3fb44b97bb51f7a6c8ddbe5a7aa2a958.jpg

# 172 - Shoveler (Northern) - Anas clypeata

RSPB Boyton Marshes, Suffolk. July 2023

female

shoveler-f.jpg.f2e254f6906fe966f5777147f3a7e9ad.jpg

# 173 - Barn Swallow - Hirundo rustica

East Lane, Suffolk. July 2023

They come every summer to breed in the old concrete bunkers

swallow-barn-01.jpg.748943132bbc1f2898824bee589064f6.jpg

swallow-barn-juv-01.jpg.54852aed53be88e471776625b5d6423d.jpg

swallow-barn-juv.jpg.023e7bcea248aef8e4dfbf968a0bf7a1.jpg

On 4/13/2023 at 9:04 PM, TonyQ said:

Some “authorities “ classify the Cattle Egret in India as the Eastern Cattle Egret, a different species to the one in Africa and Europe (Western). Some treat it as a subspecies.

When we went to India, and when we went to Malaysia I counted Eastern as a species. :)

What about the Australian one - also Eastern (if so another easy tick for me 😁)?

The visit of a colleague from India put a bit of pressure on me to find some birds to photograph and, of course, his visit coincided with the strongest winds of the year so far.

We had agreed to meet at Bird Fair in Rutland, and from the outset the omens were not good.

2 days of rain had turned the Oakham Showground very muddy, with the widns blowign rain into the marquees.

I've been to Bird Fair a few times, but this was my first visit since Covid-19 and my first to the new venue. No longer at RSPB Rutland water but at Oakham Showground. The whole event was far les impressive than my previous visits, with noticeably fewer exhibitors. That gave us an opportunity to leave earlier than planned.

As the route between Bird Fair & Woodbridge would take us through Cambridgeshire I thought it might be a good time to visit some of the reserves that have long been on my 'must go one day' list and I contacted the esteemed @Tdgravesfor some advice.

Tracey confirmed that, as with so many other locations, summer is a tough time. Even so, she kindly agreed to meet us at RSPB Ouse Fen.

Because we were much earlier than expected we stopped in at RSPB Fen Drayton on the way to Ouse Fen. It is very close.

The winds were still strong and we did not see much of interest at Fen Drayton.

We were still too early for our planned rendezvous with Tracey and not at a great time of day for photography but the winds showed no sign of abating so we decided we might as well keep going and make a plan to meet up when conditions were more favourable.

We got out of the car at Ouse Fen to be greeted by gale force winds. A Marsh Harrier was fighting a losing battle against the wind and we didn't even bother taking the cameras out of the car.

Time to head for home.

A quick stop at Martlesham Creek - a bit more sheltered - at least gave us the chance to take some photos and the Black-tailed Godwits have wonderful colours at the moment.

Black-tailed Godwit

Black-tailed Godwit

there was even a new tick

#174 - Greenshank - Tringa nebularia

Martlesham Creek, Suffolk. July 2023

Greenshank

Greenshank

Hopefully the wind would die down overnight and tomorrow would be better

Edited by Soukous

An early start to drive to RSPB Minsmere and it looks promising. The sky is blue and the wind is light.

The first 2 hides didn't yield much (nothing actually) but is was a glorious morning for walking around the reserve; breezy with wonderful light.

East Hide was more productive with Common Terns very active.

Common Terns in flight

plenty of juveniles around, old enough to fly but still relying on parents for food.

Common Tern, juv

Common Tern feeding young

The Black-tailed Godwits were once again looking splendid

Black-tailed Godwit

and I think I found a new tick as well. It was a bit distant

# 175 - Curlew Sandpiper - Calidris ferruginea

RSPB Minsmere, Suffolk. July 2023

sandpiper-curlew.jpg.5d7a7535679edacd2bed4296da5e49d1.jpg

I learned something too. I did not know that Moorhens ate fish. This one was taking these fish back to feed a juvenile.

Moorhen

We had no luck finding Dartford Warblers, although I did hear one. Linnets though were plentiful

Linet

and Wrens were vocal

Eurasian Wren

East hide turned up one last tick. Lucky I took a photo as I thought I already had this one.

# 176 - Coot - Fulica atra

RSPB Minsmere, Suffolk. July 2023

coot

Glad you found something to photograph Martin. Two turtle doves flew over me in Ouse Fen yesterday….no photos though!

Love the Wren photo as it really shows the personality of the little bird if that is not being anthropomorphic..

Shame about the weather for your friend.

offshorebirder
12 hours ago, Soukous said:

I learned something too. I did not know that Moorhens ate fish. This one was taking these fish back to feed a juvenile.

Fantastic behavior shot.

I couldn't think where else to post this - not really worth a thread on its own

Still/In Motion: time-lapsed montages of starling murmurations

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/gallery/2023/jul/21/stillin-motion-time-lapsed-montages-of-starling-murmurations

That is an amazing image!

Peter Connan

Beautiful photos!

• 2 weeks later...

Finally some sunshine. :D Boy was July a wet miserable month.

One of the few advantages of having an older dog is that he will wait patiently while I try to photograph birds. Even fast movers like Dartford Warbler.

Apart from that, and a few Stonechats, birdlife is not at all abundant at the moment.

Dartford Warbler

Love the Dartford!

Dave Williams

Interesting time lapse shots of the Starlings, we used to see fabulous murmurations at the local reserve but not anymore for some reason.

The weather through August hasn't been that fantastic, heavy rain continues but sun in between, I have taken my camera out once since the middle of June and didn't take a single image. I'm heading down your way in September and hoping something turns up!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I should rename this as my sluggish Big Year. I can see that it is ages since I posted anything new.

There are a couple of reasons for that (a) I posted most of the worthwhile shots in my trip reports and couldn't see the point of posting the same shots again (b) I have been quite disappointed with a lot of my recent photographs, particularly those I took in South Africa.

Anyhoo, a break in the wind & rain meant it was safe to venture outdoors again yesterday so I did. My target was Snow Buntings, just because I really like them, and I knew where I had a good chance of finding them. 

The walk seemed longer in winter than it was in summer and heavy tides had significantly re-arranged the beach but I found the place I wanted.

I was encouraged to see a couple of flocks of Dunlin swirling around the shoreline before I noticed some small birds hunkered down amid the shingle. If they hadn't moved slightly I would probably have missed them.

When I got home I discovered that they were not yet on my Big Year list. I know they won't make much difference to my lowly total but here they are.

# 177 - Snow Bunting - Plectrophenax nivalis

Walberswick, Suffolk. Dec 2023

Snow Bunting

There were 20+ birds in this small flock and quite a variety of plumage

Snow Bunting

Snow Bunting

Snow Bunting

There were a few other species in amongst the Snow Buntings; I saw Skylark

Skylark (Eurasian)

and Linnet

Snow Bunting & linnet

and a couple of Reed Buntings, which I was also surprised to find I had not yet included in BY.

# 178 - Reed Bunting - Emberiza schoeniclus

Walberswick, Suffolk. Dec 2023

Reed Bunting

Reed Bunting