Tiger Trifecta; Thirty Three sightings of Twenty Three Tigers in Ten and a half days

wilddog

On 5/12/2023 at 4:02 AM, madaboutcheetah said:

The earlier photos you see in the thread of the BW female is her daughter from the previous litter. 

Oh goodness we both got that wrong. so it was one of her daughters. Thanks Hari.

I will edit appropriately.

Edited by wilddog

@wilddog@Atravelynn @madaboutcheetahA great trip report, very informative and beautiful images. You certainly had better Tiger sightings than us in Nagarhole but we did manage some reasonable ones. On our return home when I was checking some of my Tiger images it became clear by facial pattern recognition that a Tiger I had down as the 'Temple Tiger' was in fact a different Tiger. We saw the 'Temple Tiger' with cubs? later in the trip but unfortunately did not see your star, 'Maggie'. Could you please possibly have a look at the attached image and afford a possible identification, is it the 'Backwater female'? This Tiger put our individual Tigers seen on our trip up to 29. I thank you in anticipation.

404A6232.JPG.6f1a928a90b7690c0a7681bfb82bd705.JPG

Hi @johnweir

I think this is Backwater females daughter,  which we saw twice.

(Lynn and I had her down as Backwater female but it is apparent from Hari's post that this is one of her daughters).

If you check out Lynns image of the ? unknown female ? Backwater female yawning, and showing the right side of her face, for me those markings match those of your unidentified tiger.

Lovely image by the way........

Edited by wilddog

madaboutcheetah

@wilddog/ @johnweir - Yes, it is the daughter of the BackWater female....... 

FYI - the tigers are named after their Core areas in the park to keep an I.d of ...... Maggie is something I coined last summer (the actual name is Magge - Which is one of the roads that deviates past that Tarmac road (MM road or 5KM road)......  Pronounced "Mugg- ay"  

• 1 month later...
madaboutcheetah

A few dhole in action pictures from my brief visit in May ...... The rains had already started by then, the dhole sightings were incredible (although no cats at all except for a shy leopard ) 

Update to now - Blackie is back apparently and seen at lest twice a week in recent weeks.  Will he stay this time or is he testing out his old territory ...... To be seen!!   Only time will tell......

2023dholekill5.jpg.jpg

2023dholekill4.jpg.jpg

2023dholekill2.jpg.jpg

2023dholekill3.jpg.jpg

2023dholekill1.jpg.jpg

Wow, Hari. What a great sighting of the dogs, hunting too! 

Interesting update on Blackie. 

Thanks 

• 3 months later...

Amazing report! Extremely valuable information, and most of all, it looks like you had a fabulous time!

I'm curious if anyone would be willing to share their most often used focal lengths? It looks like many sightings are quite close, but others reach-limited, so I wonder what ranges of lenses to bring for such a trip. Thank you!

Thanks @WildSpotter  Welcome to Safaritalk 

My 2 travel companions are the camera experts so I will call them in to give you their advice. @madaboutcheetahand @Atravelynn can you help please?

Edited by wilddog

madaboutcheetah
20 hours ago, WildSpotter said:

Amazing report! Extremely valuable information, and most of all, it looks like you had a fabulous time!

I'm curious if anyone would be willing to share their most often used focal lengths? It looks like many sightings are quite close, but others reach-limited, so I wonder what ranges of lenses to bring for such a trip. Thank you!

I had the 400 mm prime lens …. You should also have a 70-200 handy …. 

1 hour ago, madaboutcheetah said:

I had the 400 mm prime lens …. You should also have a 70-200 handy …. 

Great, thank you!

I have Canon's new RF 100-300 2.8, which gives me 420mm at F4 with the 1.4x TC.

I suspect that lens would be the primary go-to for the mammals and I have wider lenses (just in case) as well as an 800mm for birds.

• 1 month later...
On 10/6/2023 at 2:32 PM, WildSpotter said:

Great, thank you!

I have Canon's new RF 100-300 2.8, which gives me 420mm at F4 with the 1.4x TC.

I suspect that lens would be the primary go-to for the mammals and I have wider lenses (just in case) as well as an 800mm for birds.

That will be more than enough.  I just did a glance through some of the tiger shots and saw 400 was the most zoom, and I could have gone to 600.  Many were in the 100-200 range.  Did you state when you are going?

On 7/2/2023 at 12:59 AM, madaboutcheetah said:

A few dhole in action pictures from my brief visit in May ...... The rains had already started by then, the dhole sightings were incredible (although no cats at all except for a shy leopard ) 

Update to now - Blackie is back apparently and seen at lest twice a week in recent weeks.  Will he stay this time or is he testing out his old territory ...... To be seen!!   Only time will tell......

Success in May as well!

• 2 months later...

Just revisiting this great report as we leave in about 10 days for Pench and Bandhavgarh (with the addition of Tadoba)--I think we started planning right after reading this report on our return from our not-as successful trip to Kabini last year. Glad I did re-read it as it reminded me to bring extra tissues for the toilet stops (I have some but probably not enough considering your comments about never any paper--I had forgotten about that!) Portable fans, check!

Anyway I just hope we have 1/2 the tiger sightings you did! We also have 3 full days in Bandhavgarh and are staying at the same lodges you did. And of course Rajen is our guide as well. Your report has gotten me very excited all over again!

I am very jealous @janzinas I am not travelling this year. 

Have a wonderful time and I will look forward to hearing about it in your return.

Good to hear our TR inspired you to return. 

It will be lovely to hear about the tigers we 'met' a year later.

Have a wonderful time and here's to 'Tons of Tigers' for you....and some Dhol etc 

• 1 month later...

Very late to the party here so just to says thanks for the stories which enhance the excellent series of photos.

Tell me in those videos of Maggie and two cubs trying to cross the track I got the Langur's warning calls but what was the 'rattling' noise?

Atravelynn
3 hours ago, Galana said:

Very late to the party here so just to says thanks for the stories which enhance the excellent series of photos.  Thanks.

Tell me in those videos of Maggie and two cubs trying to cross the track I got the Langur's warning calls but what was the 'rattling' noise?  I listened again, but only heard cameras rattling.  My ears may not be sufficiently fine-tuned.

madaboutcheetah

FYI - quick update.  Was in Kabini recently with friends ...... Maggie continues to be a show stopper this summer, her two cubs are still with her - although, grown up and still very shy.  She seems to frequent either/or of the two waterholes in her territory every day.  

There obviously are other tigers doing the rounds too ....... hence leopard sightings are patchy at best. 

wilddog

As Atravelynn says, the rattling was the cameras firing in burst mode.

1 hour ago, wilddog said:

the rattling was the cameras firing in burst mode.

Good heavens.

6 hours ago, Atravelynn said:

I listened again, but only heard cameras rattling.  My ears may not be sufficiently fine-tuned.

Blimey! Is there no 'off' button?

wilddog

It was bit manic. There were loads of safari vehicles and we had all been waiting for the second cub to finally emerge ....and then everyone was shooting simultaneously. It was rather loud but the tigers did not seem concerned. Thank goodness.