All quiet on the western front - PM 2023

pedro maia

Yesterday on a quick visit to the Lezíria I saw this one (actually they were two) I had never seen there and that I couldn´t photograph in Sagres:

BIF128, Bonelli's eagle (Aquila fasciata)

Bonelli2.jpg.96c1044f6ca145d7053baf456cfc641a.jpg

Bonelli3.jpg.4e0ad3f89b0016f3af62c82d7acd8023.jpg

Bonelli4.jpg.e767ecff713ef43db98842331f4d007d.jpg

Bonelli5.jpg.9aa84f97688aad0701cb877ec0d1a99d.jpg

Bonelli6.jpg.9a3ec8f3116be710caea1b284641800a.jpg

cool shots of the bonelli's!

so agreed that owls are always cool

That Bonelli's is really special! You BIF numbers are coming along nicely, with some good species, too. Which owl species is still missing from your Portugal list?

4 hours ago, PeterHG said:

That Bonelli's is really special! You BIF numbers are coming along nicely, with some good species, too. Which owl species is still missing from your Portugal list?

It´s the Tawny owl, it´s quite commond but beeing nocturnal it´s not so easy to photograph and of ourse I have to look for it, which I did only once, last year, one answer the call but didn´t show itself.

Edited by pedro maia

I've also never seen one! 

Very cool Raptor sightings - and photos! 

1 hour ago, michael-ibk said:

I've also never seen one! 

We need to go on a Pancas night safari:P.

Absolutely! 🙂

• 2 months later...
pedro maia

No birding for me in the last couple of months, now I have to figure out how will I participate in 2024.

1 hour ago, pedro maia said:

No birding for me in the last couple of months, now I have to figure out how will I participate in 2024.

Easy! Start taking photos in the nearby park! Now, seriously, what are your 2024 travel plans?

pedro maia
3 hours ago, xelas said:

Easy! Start taking photos in the nearby park! Now, seriously, what are your 2024 travel plans?

Kruger in Easter and Argentina in August, counts won’t be in high numbers because no one else in my family cares about the birds but I’m ok with that, my doubt is here, to do a year count or not, I don’t feel too motivated to go after the most common species. 

8 hours ago, pedro maia said:

counts won’t be in high numbers because no one else in my family cares about the birds but I’m ok with that,

I recognise that predicament. On the plus side it does prevent me becoming too obsessive about photographing birds.

michael-ibk

Just go after the ones you do like Pedro, and post those. The community interaction here is the most enjoyable part of the game, much more important than the numbers. So do join in in any form you like. Otherwise I think I'll have to come to Portugal and have a word with you. 😎

Edited by michael-ibk

11 minutes ago, michael-ibk said:

Just go after the ones you do like Pedro, and post those. The community interaction here is the most enjoyable part of the game, much more important than the numbers. So do join in in any form you like. Otherwise I think I'll have to come to Portugal and have a word with you. 😎

true

14 hours ago, pedro maia said:

my doubt is here, to do a year count or not,

If none other then you should show us birds from Argentina! But once you will start posting, there is no way back :P.

BRACQUENE

Looking forward to your return this year Pedro !

pedro maia
14 hours ago, michael-ibk said:

I will gladly take that risk:P.

pedro maia
8 hours ago, xelas said:

If none other then you should show us birds from Argentina! But once you will start posting, there is no way back :P.

I’ll post birds from both trips and all the new species from Portugal as well, thay’s not my doubt.