michael-ibk

michael-ibk
IMG_5917.jpg

Right, a bit more about the reserve. Apart from driving to and from the lodge we just did a single shortish game drive.

For more informaton, please see the main park site from Peace Parks. A lot of information here.

Some excerpts: Measuring at approximately over 1 700 km², Maputo National Park forms a central part of the Usuthu-Tembe-Futi TFCA that links the reserve up with Tembe Elephant Park in South Africa via the Futi Corridor. It also includes the Ponta do Ouro-Kosi Bay Transfrontier Conservation Area, linking up with South Africa’s iSimangaliso Wetland Park, a World Heritage Site.

See a map here:

https://images.app.goo.gl/QFpLcnb58ghZyZ4h6

The reserve was established way back in 1960, especially for Elephant protection. In 2010, the governments of Mozambique and South Africa, with support from Peace Parks Foundation, began a wildlife translocation programme to Maputo National Park. The park had been pretty empty then. The Management plan for 2000 to 2005 is an interesting read. The species overwiew on page 43 is particularly enlightening:

Screenshot2024-01-05at18-46-21MicrosoftWord-PlanodemaneiodoREM.doc-Maputo-Special-Reserve-Management-Plan-2000-to-2005_pdf.png.5d017546b24a0e05a3f37a761c083f3b.png

Mozambique_0229_Cape Buffalo-Bearbeitet.jpg

We could clearly see the big change that Peace Parks have brought around. We´d see good numbers of Zebra, Warthog, Buffalo, Wildebeest all animals that had been gone from the park. Same with Giraffe and Impala, two species not even mentioned in the historic management plan. Which makes me wonder if they ever actally occurred here.

IMG_5870.jpg

Actually we had been keen to do something on the boat but the weather did not look too friendly. So that was not really in the cards, it's not easy going out even on a good day.

Mozambique_0176.jpg

So we asked to do a game drive. Januario, a very friendly man who mostly acted as our guide, said that this is a 120 minute (or was it even only 90, not sure anymore) activity. We told him that we would like to see more of the park, and he said he would see what he could do. And to give credit where credit is due, we stayed out from a bit after 08:00 until almost noon. Like I said before, all the staff members were really very pleasant people. But it was clear that proper game driving is not a thing here. No gamedrive vehicle either - we just used a regular car which was of course not ideal and part of the reason why we did not push to do it again. Januario told us the lodge normally has an open car. Don't know about that. For some reason the possibility of game drive activities have now disappeared completely from the lodge homepage anyway. Maybe because of us!:D

But we enjoyed our tour of the reserve a lot - no big action scenes but always something to keep us entertained.

Mozambique_0185_Three-Banded Plover-Bearbeitet.jpg

Three-banded Plover

Mozambique_0190_Nyala-Bearbeitet.jpg

While not exactly abundant we saw Nyala regulary. The 2021 game count report has a nice overview about all the animals brought in:

Screenshot2024-01-05at19-16-411667382659-AerialCensusReport_MSR_2021_pdf.png.a7b5d435977cd19c9ca34b5fa762a985.png

Of these, we did not see Eland, Kudu and Oribi, Waterbuck only in very low numbers (but we´d see tens of thousands of them later in Gorongosa).

Mozambique_0217_Rufous-Naped Lark-Bearbeitet.jpg

The song of Rufuos-Naped Lark is everywhere in the reserve.

Mozambique_0196_Rufous-Naped Lark-Bearbeitet.jpg

Mozambique_0243_Steenbok-Bearbeitet.jpg

We saw several Steenboks so I was surprised to read about their relatively low number.

Mozambique_0132_Brown-HoodedKingfisher-Bearbeitet.JPG.c0a5dcd0a788597753e34db526e562c0.JPG

Brown-hooded Kingfisher, our constant companion throughout the trip.

Mozambique_0203_Plain´s Zebra-Bearbeitet.jpg

We were particularly pleased about the nice Zebra sightings. Not even trying to figure out which subspecies this is but hoping for some of our experts to chime in.

Mozambique_0212_Plain´s Zebra-Bearbeitet.jpg

Mozambique_0222_Black-Bellied  Bustard-Bearbeitet.jpg

Distant shot but a bit unusual - don't remember ever having seen a Black-bellied Bustard in flight.

michael-ibk
48 minutes ago, Peter Connan said:

Legs stretched I think they are about the size of a smallish soup dish?

Yes, that sounds about right, thanks Peter.

michael-ibk
Posted (edited)

Mozambique_0239_Cape Buffalo.jpg

Mozambique_0231_Cape Buffalo.jpg

IMG_3194.jpg

The weather was not exactly great but once in a while a bit of blue popped through the clouds.

IMG_5920.jpg

Mozambique_0313_Crowned Lapwing-Bearbeitet.jpg

Crowned Lapwings love grasslands like this.

A lot of beautiful lakes in the reserve - this map gives a good overwiew, also about the camping sites.

tourism-map.jpg

Mozambique_0370.jpg

No lakes without Hippo:

Mozambique_0359_Hippo-Bearbeitet.jpg

Mozambique_1071_Plain´s Zebra_Blue Wildebeest.jpg

Where does the good light come from? Cheating a bit, a few photos from our drive out of the park when the weather was very nice.

Mozambique_1088_Blue Wildebeest.jpg

Mozambique_1081_Impala.jpg

Mozambique_1098_Southern Black Flycatcher-Bearbeitet.jpg

Mozambique_1078_Southern Reedbuck.jpg Mozambique_0355_Cattle-Bearbeitet.jpg

A less nicer sighting  - cattle grazing with Zebra. There are still about 500 people living in the reserve in four different settlements.  Families which are
assisted to move out of the park may not return or resettle.

"The numbers of cattle in Maputo Special Reserve show a slight increase from 169 counted
in 2019 to 180 in 2021, while goat numbers continue to decrease from 44 counted in 2019
to 30 counted in 2021 (Table 7). However, as part of the long-term goals for the protected
area, the number of cattle and goats need to be substantially reduced as the burning
regime implemented by the communities favours their livestock and the wildlife."
(From the 21 game count paper).

IMG_3340.jpg

Mozambique_0369_Painted Reed Frog-Bearbeitet.jpg

A colourful Reed Frog falling in love with the car windscreen.

IMG_5894.jpg

Mozambique_0367-Bearbeitet_Caspian Tern.jpg

Birding was ok but not really stellar. Additionally, taking bird photos out of a regular car is pretty tricky

Mozambique_0375_Madagascar Bee-Eater.jpg

Not the nicest photo but a bird I was super delighted about - Madagascar Bee-Eater, a lifer for me!

Mozambique_0302_African Cuckoo-Hawk-Bearbeitet.jpg

Another bird that is not seen too often - African Cuckoo-Hawk.

This park definitely sees some bad weather, the trees clearly show how ravaging the wind can be here. Of course cyclones are often catastophic in the country, and everybody I talked to is fearing the next one.

IMG_5919.jpg

Edited by michael-ibk

gatoratlarge

LOL not hardly but you and Andreas are an inspiration!  Doug too---that guy really has a dream job/life!

michael-ibk
Posted (edited)

IMG_5876.jpg

So what about the Elephants? After all, the reserve is often referred to as the "Maputo Elephant Reserve", so where were they? We did not see any on the way in and out, and it seems they are anything but a given here. We had resigned to the fact that we would not see them so were quite happy when we finally had a very distant sighting:

Mozambique_0246-Bearbeitet_African Elephant.jpg

But just 15 minutes later Januario and his colleauge shouted "The Elephants, the Elephants":

Mozambique_0276_African Elephant-Bearbeitet.jpg

RIght, coming over the hill. Our two guides were delighted that we had a good sighting like that - and so were we of course.

Mozambique_0259_African Elephant-Bearbeitet.jpg

We had been lucky - obviously the Elephants had not seen us, we were just below the hill, and when they did notice they fled instantly. They certainly are anything but relaxed here.

Mozambique_0269_African Elephant-Bearbeitet.jpg

The last aerial count (in 21) was a bit disheartening - they only found 189, a substantial drop from the 269 in 2019.

Mozambique_0281_African Elephant-Bearbeitet.jpg

One possible explanation for the lower numbers:

"The number of elephants crossing from Mozambique into South Africa, including Tembe Elephant Park, have dramatically increased in 2021, and so the collaring of free-roaming elephants is also necessary to try and understand the drivers behind these movements, thereby hopefully also reducing elephant-human conflict."

Mozambique_0292_African Elephant-Bearbeitet.jpg

Mozambique_0294_African Elephant-Bearbeitet.jpg

Concluding the game drive part with a nice sighting of a Collared Pratincole feeding its chick with a dragonfly:

Mozambique_0324_Collared Pratincole-Bearbeitet.jpg

A huge meal for the little one:

Mozambique_0331_Collared Pratincole-Bearbeitet.jpg

*gulp*

Mozambique_0334_Collared Pratincole-Bearbeitet.jpg

Love Pratincoles with their lipstick look.

Mozambique_0345_Collared Pratincole.jpg

Also the first chick I've seen.

Mozambique_0343_Collared Pratincole-Bearbeitet.jpg

So coming back to your hesitations @BRACQUENE:

Yes, Anvil Bay Lodge is not really a bona fide wildlife lodge, at least not for game drives and birding. Peace Parks seem to have big plans for tourism - they want to get to 65,000 visitors per year, and develop 500 tourism beds (see here, p 51). So I guess lodges and (more) campsites will pop up in the future, but as of yet the reserve is currently largely undeveloped from a tourism perspective. So I'd say for a proper safari experience one would have to come with a private guide and car or simply wait a few years.

But again, Anvil Bay is a wonderful place. Such a stunning location, we had a great time here even though we were admittedly disappointed with the absence of proper guides. But we had not really come here for safari so did not mind that much. Would have been very different had that happened in Gorongosa but there we had top class guides. Here we were happy enough with all the other activites offered (more about that coming up) and self-birding and I think it would be very difficult to be unhappy here. It's just important to set your expectations right.

Edited by michael-ibk

I don’t know why giraffes aren’t on that list, I don’t have any reason to believe that they are not native to Maputo NP, as far as I am aware they occurred everywhere in suitable habitat south of the Save River, but not north of the river. so, there were never giraffes in Gorongosa NP, but I don’t think there are any accurate records of their distribution in the country. The Zinave NP Logo is a giraffe, so that park was once a stronghold for them and should be again before long, the current population there, must still be quite small, but GCF, PPF, Mozambique Wildlife Alliance and ANAC have teamed up to carry out what will be one of the largest ever giraffe translocations, moving 350 South African Giraffes to Mozambique, taking them to Banhine NP, Karingani GR, Maputo NP and Zinave NP. They started last year, the first 12 giraffes were taken to Karingani back in August, it will take a few years to complete the operation, but it will ensure that giraffes are secure in Mozambique for the foreseeable future. Giraffes were all but wiped out during the war, there were just a handful left.

It seems that I was wrong about leopards, there are already some in the park, that doesn't surprise me.

Peace Parks TV have quite a lot of videos about the park on YouTube

Maputo Special Reserve and Ponta do Ouro Partial Marine Reserve (Proclaimed in 2009) were amalgamated and became Maputo National Park in 2021, I see that the map that you included is from 2019, I happened to find the Parque Nacional de Maputo website and it has a park brochure with the newest version of the map dated March 23 2023 with new name, but I guess it may still be known as Maputo Special Reserve for a while yet.

Maputo National Park  

Edited by inyathi

BRACQUENE

10 hours ago, michael-ibk said:

It's just important to set your expectations right.

Thanks a lot Michael to respond to my hesitations : my expectations were perhaps a bit to high after reading a lot about the reserve and Anvil Bay ; and that remark you added about " not being able to distinguish a Bulbul from a Kingfisher " didn't help either :D but for the moment let's conclude that a few days at Anvil Bay are not the worst thing you can do or simply wait until the full possibilities of the area are exploited 

It reminds me also of the interesting discussions I had with my friend Mike @Bush dog about guiding and the level of knowledge that can be very different depending on the required training ; I have been lucky until now to be guided by some of the best guides in the business !

pedro maia

Looks like a very nice place to spend a few relaxed days, now I’m looking forward for the Gorongosa part of the trip.

michael-ibk
Posted (edited)

IMG_6256.jpg

Just a bit more patience @pedro maia, three more chapters Anvil Bay, then we're on our way to Gorongosa.

Unfortunately we had a fair bit of rain which could start at any given moment. So even when it was sunny we mostly had our umbrellas with us (more to protect the camera than us).

IMG_6077.jpg

No matter the weather the beach was always beautiful. But regardless how pristine one appears I'm afraid there are few coasts left in the world that are not littered with plastic. Every morning the staff members went out and cleaned up a substantial part of the beach. I was told it can be quite bad at times, and then for several months no rubbish at all.

IMG_6285.jpg

IMG_6086.jpg

Fortunately we got a good fix of sun, warmth and beach fun as well, not just rain.

Mozambique_0644_Sanderling-Bearbeitet-Bearbeitet.jpg

These Sanderlings had made the bay their home, it was always fun watching them playing catch with the waves.

Mozambique_0435_Sanderling-Bearbeitet.jpg

The resident White-Fronted Plovers:

Mozambique_0454_White-Fronted Plover.jpg

Just 500 metres off the lodge there are some nice dune hills.

IMG_6096.jpg

IMG_6303.jpg

More steep than it looks, one step forward, two back. No problem for Januario who came along with our sundowner snacks.

IMG_20231020_165304.jpg.e361a821572cd7c1dc49c0a1b86ca954.jpg

Just a small double G&T, thank you. B)

IMG_6319.jpg

IMG_20231021_062914.jpg.19c91b10c6c217f5be43920e4b44360d.jpg

The staff members were really very pleasant and friendly people.

I was a bit disappointed in the lack of seabirds. A few Gannets passing by, the odd Tern now and then, that was it.

Mozambique_1051-Bearbeitet_Caspian Tern.jpg

Once in a while a pair of Fish-Eagles would pass through:

Mozambique_1001_African Fish Eagle_African Fish Eagle-Bearbeitet.jpg

Mozambique_1009_African Fish Eagle_African Fish Eagle-Bearbeitet.jpg

Interesting watching this pair bond - very distant unfortunately:

Mozambique_1011_African Fish Eagle_African Fish Eagle-Bearbeitet.jpg

Mozambique_0601_AnvilBay.jpg.9c0ed3e2d2d63463e8dd3d1e3670d449.jpg

Not to give the impression I was only birding, we enjoyed swimming in the pleasantly warm water very much.

But not to lie, of course I could never rest too long before running after one of my feathered friends. I think all in all I recorded about 100 birds here.

Mozambique_0849_Tawny-Flanked Prinia-Bearbeitet.jpg

Tawny-Flanked Prinia

Mozambique_0471_Purple-Banded Sunbird-Bearbeitet.jpg

Purple-Banded Sunbird

Mozambique_0481_Collared Sunbird-Bearbeitet.jpg

Collared Sunbird

Mozambique_0879-Bearbeitet.jpg

Mozambique_0858_Rudd's Apalis-Bearbeitet.jpg

Rudd's Apalis, a pretty localised species and a lifer for me I was pretty happy to get.

Mozambique_0871_Mouse-Coloured Sunbird-Bearbeitet.jpg

Another lifer - a Mouse-coloured Sunbird.

Mozambique_0872_Square-Tailed Drongo-Bearbeitet.jpg

My best sighting of a Square-tailed Drongo.

Edited by michael-ibk

michael-ibk
IMG_6016.jpg

We also made good use of the lake just behind the lodge. Beautiful place. Walked around once and did two more walks in the area. Were not allowed to do this on our own, we had to be accompanied by a staff member because of the danger of Buffalos and Elephants. In which way exactly the guy keeping us company would have helped us in case - not quite sure, best not to find out about these things! B)

Also had a pleasant Dhow "sunset" cruise, even if the sunshine did not quite cooperate.

IMG_5938.jpg

"Two G&Ts please." - "Yes, me too please."

Mozambique_0793_Giant Kingfisher-Bearbeitet.jpg

Surprisingly still sober enough to catch a Giant Kingfisher.

Mozambique_0522_ White-Breasted Cormorant-Bearbeitet_Cape Cormorant.jpg

There's a sunbathing deck at the lake - but I guess it's almost exclusively used by Cormorants.

IMG_5990.jpg

IMG_5977.jpg

We did have a very exciting sighting when walking:

Mozambique_0501_Southern African Rock Python-Bearbeitet.jpg

Not one but two (Southern African) Rock Pythons! Just 10 metres away from us. Obviously occupied with really being fond of each other, so we felt a bit guilty about interrupting. I can only assume the much bigger darker one is the female. I'm afraid we did not quite work out where it started and ended so that's not even the whole of it in the frame.

Mozambique_0500_Southern African Rock Python-Bearbeitet.jpg

The longest one measured in South Africa was 4,34 m according to Wiki, this one cannot have been far behind.

Mozambique_0505_Southern African Rock Python-Bearbeitet.jpg

The male (?) was much lighter in colour. After a minute or so they decided five is a crowd so slithered away - becoming totally invisible.

Mozambique_0513_Hippo-Bearbeitet.jpg

Several Hippo in the lake but not as many as one would expect.

Of course I also got some nice birds around the lake.

Mozambique_0634_Yellow-Rumped Tinkerbird.jpg

Yellow-rumped Tinkerbird

IMG_6029.jpg

Mozambique_0834_Natal Red Duiker-Bearbeitet.jpg

I don't remember seeing land-based mammals around the lake, with the exception of the odd Duiker, all very shy. Maybe there were some Reed- or Bushbuck but I have forgotten.

IMG_6018.jpg

Mozambique_0796_Black-Backed Puffback-Bearbeitet.jpg

Black-backed Puffback

Mozambique_0638_Dark-Backed Weaver-Bearbeitet.jpg

Forest Weaver

Mozambique_0816_Little Bee-Eater-Bearbeitet.jpg

Little Bee-Eater

michael-ibk

Mozambique_0932_AnvilBay.jpg.5189af802993ca9632e5ab144058052d.jpg

Apart from eating a lot of fish our marine activites were cut a bit short by the weather which often resulted in the sea being a bit too rough to get out. Unfortunately we were also a bit too early for the (Loggerhead and Leatherback) Turtles coming ashore to lay their eggs. Mid-November is when this really gets going I was told. The Anvil Bay homepage says the emergence of the Hatchlings can be seen from December (probably later I'd think) to late March.

We did one Snorkel trip which was ok. Still beautiful but not perfectly tide so the water was a bit too high and the light too bad for a really magical experience. You´re pretty much on your own when snorkeling which also does not help. This was done much better when we were at Mafia Island and an experienced guy was with us and showed us where to swim and look. Don't have any worthwile photos from this (only had a very cheap underwater camera with me anyway).

Mozambique_0993_Anvil Bay.jpg

The one magical experience I had was swimming with a Turtle. This was wonderful, it was "flying" just a few metres below me, and I could follow it for a few minutes.

Ah, and then the Whales. Of course they could often be seen from ashore but of course we wanted a closer look.

Mozambique_0900_Humpback Whale.jpg

Mozambique_0669_AnvilBay.jpg.a92b4dc9c42fba546de45915c49712b1.jpg

Our most colourful look ever in Africa. :)

IMG_6141.jpg

We enjoyed very close sightings of about five Humpback Whales. No breaching unfortunately but awesome to be so close to these majestic animals.

Mozambique_0778_Humpback Whale.jpg

Mozambique_0716_Humpback Whale.jpg

Mozambique_0743_Humpback Whale-Bearbeitet.jpg

Mozambique_0773_Humpback Whale.jpg

Mozambique_0769_Humpback Whale.jpg

Mozambique_0782_Humpback Whale.jpg

No Dolhins or anything else of note but we did have one quite sobering sighting. This poor Turtle had gotten all tangled up in the ropes of a buoy. It was unable to get free, and panicked when out "captain" tried to get if free. He could not manage at first, so we asked him to just get back to the coast, get a knife and help the poor thing. Fortunately he accomplished that when he got back, and I hope the Turtle did not suffer too severe injuries.

IMG_6231.jpg

To end on a more joyful note here's one more Humpback:

Mozambique_0750_Humpback Whale.jpg

And that's it from Anvil Bay - now upwards and onwards to Gorongosa!

Wow! Love the landscape and and the coastal ecosystem with sand dunes, small lakes and the beach. Really stunning! A rare scene of wildlife still roaming on coastal landscapes of Africa. The green savannas remind me Loango in Gabon, but it is a very distant comparison.

Love the crab and plovers pics on the beach too!

Speaking about cars, as far as I know, Maputo NP still have some leopards. Peace Parks reported them this year. They are not sure how many of them are still there. They also brought back some cheetahs. Do you have any update about the situation? Did they breed?

Eventually, they brought back hyenas. It seems you have not heard or spot them right?

michael-ibk

Thanks @jeremie, it is a very pretty park indeed with a lot of potential. Since it's very easy to get to I'm sure it will attract many more tourists once they have more accommodations. Unfortunately I cannot answer any of your questions. We did not see or hear any predators (with the exception of one Side-striped Jackal), and the staff members knew nothing about them. Nothing seems to have been mentioned about the Cheetah situation since 2021 (at least according to my google search).

It looks like a beautiful relaxing place @michael-ibkand of course you found some excellent birds. Well done on your lifer Bee-eater!

On 1/1/2024 at 7:57 PM, michael-ibk said:

For example, even though they do advertise birding activites nobody is able to tell apart a Bulbul from a Kingfisher.

Ha, I could (barely) so do they offer jobs at Anvil Bay?

Lovely photos, great presentation of Maputo. How often my vision of a specific place differs a lot from the actual situation. More travels needed!

On 1/5/2024 at 7:55 PM, michael-ibk said:

A colourful Reed Frog falling in love with the car windscreen.

And 100 birds and whales and turtles while eating all day long and just being lazy ... how very Michael way to have relaxed holidays!

Atravelynn

Thank you for your candid comments on the wildlife viewing in the park.  Where else have you seen such a colorful Reed Frog? A  Pratincole chick?  Sanderlings surrounded by crabs?  Your enthusiasm for birds and animals and your interest in spending good amounts of time out there with them will help pave the way for other visitors who are equally enthusiastic about nature.  Looks like a lot of fun with lots of sun!

Kitsafari

100 birds is still a good haul!

michael-ibk
On 1/7/2024 at 2:22 PM, TonyQ said:

Well done on your lifer Bee-eater!

Thanks Tony, was really happy about this one!

On 1/10/2024 at 5:29 PM, xelas said:

More travels needed!

Always!:) Thanks, Alex.

On 1/11/2024 at 12:10 AM, Atravelynn said:

Looks like a lot of fun with lots of sun!

Thanks Lynn, we enjoyed it a lot. "Lots of sun" is probably an exxageration though. :)

On 1/11/2024 at 2:51 AM, Kitsafari said:

100 birds is still a good haul!

Let´s call it ok. I'm certain I could have found lots more with a dedicated guide who know the park.

michael-ibk

Part II: Gorongosa!

The drive back to Maputo was very smooth. We had opted for an early departure from Anvil Bay at 06:30 just in case - you never know what might go wrong on the road. But absolutely nothing did, it was not even 10:00 a.m. when we arrived at the airport. The domestic part (in the same building as the international one, just separated by a corridor) was pleasantly quiet. There's one restaurant IIRC, and two cafès IIRC. Our flight for Beira left at 13:15. Again, everything very smooth, and surprisingly good service aboard for such a short flight (75 minutes) - even had a pretty tasty sandwich and some small snacks.

Our pilots already waited for us at the luggage belt. We could of course have driven to Gorongosa (about 4 hours) but that would not have been possible today given our arrival time, so an o/n in Beira would have been necesary.  A ravaged city - cyclones/storms Idai (2019), Chalane (2020-21) and Eloise (2021) have caused extensive damage and destruction – Idai destroyed up to 90% of structures in the city. Resilient as people in Africa are I'm sure it has recovered to some extent but I guess it's still not a particularly appealing place for tourists. If you would like to stay there, Hotel Tivoli and the VIP Inn are the ones recommended by Gorongosa NP. (I know nothing about them).

IMG_6392.jpg

Much more time-efficient (and of course comfortable) just flying to Gorongosa. About 40 minute. Sorry, cannot really advise about costs (did not ask) but can't have been too bad.

Since Mozambique is unfamiliar to most STers I will include some photos from the flight.

Mozambique_1110_Flug nach Gorongosa.jpg

We soon left the houses and huts of Beira behind us. As you can see Mozambique had already received some rainfall, a lot of lush green to be seen.

IMG_6435.jpg

The pilot flew very low so we had great views. Soon we could see the splendid wilderness area that was waiting for us:

IMG_6417.jpg

The Pungwe River, the Southern boundary of the park.  It rises below Mount Nyangani in the Eastern Highlands of Zimbabwe and then flows southeasteastward through the Manica and Sofala provinces of Mozambique.  It is one of the major rivers in the country and often causes floods.

IMG_6434.jpg

Mozambique_1116_Flug nach Gorongosa.jpg

We even saw some Elephants in the river! Well, to be honest (only) Andreas did, I was looking to the other side. :)

The Elephants are also going to the other side - where the crops of the villagers are waiting for them.

IMG_6462-Bearbeitet.jpg

And there we were, Gorongosa National Park! The airstrip at Chitengo (the park's headquarters) is very popular with Warthogs.

Mozambique_1119_Chitengo.jpg

Our bush plane - this had been a very enjoyable flight.

IMG_6473.jpg

Here we met with @Doug Macdonald, our tour operator and private guide of many great trips. This was Nr. 6 - good to join up again! And also got to know Camp Guide Richard and his learner "Lucky" (more about both later). An excellent combo for the next six days.

But no time to chat, a whole new park was waiting for us!

Mozambique_1121_Ellipsen Waterbuck.jpg

The first of about 73,735,5 Waterbuck we'd see.

Mozambique_1124_Spur-Winged Goose.jpg

Spur-Winged goose saying Hi.

Mozambique_1127_Nyala_Impala-Bearbeitet.jpg

Nyala (regular but not in big numbers) and Impala (common).

Then Richard said: "Would you like to see the Wild Dogs"?

What kind of question is that, come on!!!

Edited by michael-ibk

michael-ibk

Mozambique_1151_African Wild Dog-Bearbeitet.jpg

Finding the Dogs 40 minutes after touching ground in the park is not bad. :)

Mozambique_1156_African Wild Dog.jpg

At first they were just lying around, very lazy Dogs. Come on, do something for your visitors, we have come from the other side of the World for you. The very least you could do is get up!

Mozambique_1167_African Wild Dog-Bearbeitet.jpg

"Sorry pal, maybe tomorrow. It's sooo nice lying around in the mud, surely you understand?"

Mozambique_1145_African Wild Dog-Bearbeitet.jpg

But finally some of them started to be a bit more active.

Mozambique_1154_African Wild Dog-Bearbeitet.jpg

You can look as grumpy as you like Doggy, I still adore you! :)

IMG_3514-Bearbeitet.jpg

A few Hooded Vultures were keeping them company. They were around at each and every sighting (yes, we did have multiple Dog sightings) so I was starting to wonder if the same birds hang around with the pack all the time. A bit like pets.

This is the Beira pack. They are supposed to number 24 but whenever we counted we never got to more than 20. One of an impressive number of 11(!) packs now in the park Richard told us. The first Dogs had been brought back to the park in 2018, only 14 then. Got a further boost in October 2019 with a pack of 15. Obviously they have done splendidly well! We were told each pack averages 18 members. That would be almost 200 Dogs!

Mozambique_1176_African Wild Dog-Bearbeitet.jpg

Looking up?

Mozambique_1193_BBC Drone-Bearbeitet.jpg

For this, a drone. Whenever we caught up with the Dogs a BBC team was present. Not sure if this is a specific Gorongosa project or just part of a general wildlife move / series. The drone was a bit irritating at times but we really could not complain. The BBC guys were tracking the Dogs all the time and were sharing locations with our guide Richard. That was a huge advantage, because as we'd find out later even if you roughly know where they at it's not always easy to get there and find them. Additionally, this was the only pack we'd see during our time in Gorongosa.

Mozambique_1210_African Wild Dog-Bearbeitet.jpg

Some of them started to play now.

IMG_3529-Bearbeitet.jpg

Mozambique_1223_African Wild Dog-Bearbeitet.jpg

Sorry for not using the Painted Wolf name - I fully appreciate the reasoning behind this term but I simply haven't gotten used to it.

Mozambique_1230_African Wild Dog-Bearbeitet.jpg

The Alphas of most packs are collared as I understand.

Mozambique_1231_African Wild Dog-Bearbeitet.jpg

A very interestingly coloured Dog:

Mozambique_1235_African Wild Dog-Bearbeitet.jpg

I guess I would not like it if a whole packs sports this look but it's always cool when one of them looks very different.

Mozambique_1245_African Wild Dog-Bearbeitet.jpg

Mozambique_1248_African Wild Dog-Bearbeitet.jpg

Edited by michael-ibk

michael-ibk

Mozambique_1272-Bearbeitet.jpg

Mozambique_1347-Bearbeitet.jpg

We stayed with the pack until dark. Of course, they are one of our very favourite animals. And the thing with them is you should never rely on easily finding them again.

IMG_6483.jpg

The light was gone now though. I really battled with my camera. The Canon R7 (with the 100-500) is not half-bad but really not a good choice for low light situations (especially with fast moving animals).

Mozambique_1273-Bearbeitet.jpg

Mozambique_1256_Hooded Vulture-Bearbeitet.jpg

Mozambique_1389-Bearbeitet_African Wild Dog.jpg

After a while the pack became highly mobile and we were hoping we could see some hunting action. But they just walked 500 metres and settled again. Cannot fault them, this pool must have felt aweseome for them after the day's heat.

Mozambique_1306-Bearbeitet.jpg

IMG_3573-Bearbeitet.jpg

Mozambique_1327-Bearbeitet.jpg

Mozambique_1344-Bearbeitet.jpg

IMG_6510.jpg

Mozambique_1366_African Wild Dog-Bearbeitet-2.jpg

Mozambique_1382_African Wild Dog-Bearbeitet.jpg

At 18:00 we had to leave - still some way to get to camp. Really could not have wished for a better welcome party.

IMG_6497.jpg

Edited by michael-ibk

You were blessed twice over - dogs 40mins after arriving, and great light which you've captured beautifully

Wow, what a brilliant start to this part of your trip.

Unusual and beautiful colouration of the dogs. Golden

pedro maia

Very envious…