michael-ibk

Pictus Safaris

@ice- happy to discuss by pm to avoid hijacking this thread. In brief, we see a lot of people come through Wild Camp who have been moved from Montebelo having complained. Often a result of it being situated on the primary route into the park, so whenever there are road repairs/road building/grading (quite often given the amount of flooding), there's a constant stream of plant next to the hotel. Bear in mind also that all game drives from Montebelo are shared with other guests, which can be a double-edged sword, especially during peak season. In terms of value for money, Wild Camp is head and shoulders above both Montebelo and Muzimu.

Sorry @michael-ibk to clog up the thread - very much enjoying the report, and looking forward immensely to my three visits next year.

michael-ibk

Thanks @Atravelynnand @Peter Connan! And special thanks to you, Tom, all great posts, and really no need to apologise at all, quite the contrary!

On 1/19/2024 at 3:29 PM, ice said:

I hope you don't mind me asking these questions in your thread)

Not at all, @Pictus Safaris's answers to you questions will be very helpful for anybody considering visiting Gorongosa.

michael-ibk

Just before we left for our afternoon drive I looked for Green Malkoha in camp, not a bird you see every day.

Mozambique_1607_Green Malkoha-Bearbeitet.jpg

Success!

Mozambique_1608_Southern Cordon-Bleu-Bearbeitet.jpg

And a Cordon Bleu, common, but always nice.

Unfortunately the light was really awful this afternoon. We saw all the usual suspects and had a good time but rarely felt tempted to snatch pictures under these conditions. Always a risk when the weather is building for the rains so late in the season.

Mozambique_1620_Nyala-Bearbeitet.jpg

But I can never resist a Nyala Bull. Never having been to a park where they are really common they still are quite special to me.

Mozambique_1622_Nyala-Bearbeitet.jpg

Mozambique_1628_Nyala-Bearbeitet.jpg

Mozambique_1611_Striped Kingfisher-Bearbeitet.jpg

A very patient and bold Striped Kingfisher, very close to the car. Did not even fly when Richard started the motor again.

Mozambique_1646_African Hoopoe-Bearbeitet.jpg

Not very close but my favourite bird so I always have to take a photo. :)

michael-ibk

A bit later we saw a very distant Elephant herd. Exciting, we had not seen any in the park except a few crossing the river when flying in. We were trying to catch up with them, not too easy in the dense woodland. And as we all know Elephants can easily become invisible when they want to. And here they very much want to  - these Elephants really are not very fond of humas. We had already resigned to the fact that we had lost them when we could hear some trumpeting. Richard and Doug chose a spot where they hoped thew would come out again - and voilà! (Apologies for the quality of the photos, I really need better gear for low light.)

Mozambique_1653_African Elephant-Bearbeitet-2.jpg

Richard told us there are about 800 Elephants in the park. The latest count is a bit lower (about 620), but that's the actual number they have seen, not a population estimate.

Mozambique_1656_African Elephant-Bearbeitet.jpg

Mozambique_1662_African Elephant-Bearbeitet.jpg

At first the herd did not notice us but once they became aware of us they were very tense.

IMG_4010-Bearbeitet.jpg

It was interesting watching them. While they obviously did not appreciate having us around they were not really agressive. A few half-hearted mock charges by two or three animals but nothing serious.

They have good reason to be unhappy about man. Many were slaughtered in the Civil War, the population crashed from 4000 to 200 and the survivors surely have not forgotten. A good number of them will be old enough to remember, especially the matriarchs. More on the subject here.

Mozambique_1680_African Elephant-Bearbeitet.jpg

So Gorongosa's Elephants are a bit infamous for charging vehicles. This is (as already mentioned) the reason self-driving is not allowed. And the guide are careful around them. Some roads are avoided, especially the river road (leading through very dense forest with few possibilities to turn around or reverse) in the afternoon. This is the time when the Elephants leave the park to cross over to the farmlands for raiding crops.

Mozambique_1695_African Elephant.jpg

But Richard said they are definitely becoming more relaxed. With each year they are experiencing more and more tourists and see that nobody tries to harm them. So there's hope they will be at peace with us again.

Mozambique_1704_African Elephant.jpg

It's often said that a lot of tuskless Elephants have been born in Gorongosa ("adaptive selection against poaching") but we could not really see this in this group.

We spent almost half an hour with them. Very enjoyable, and very interesting behaviour. We did not see Elephants again (although we heard them a couple of times). Richard told us that with the first rains a lot of them have left the core game viewing areas.

Mozambique_1720_African Elephant-Bearbeitet.jpg

IMG_6614.jpg

Night Drives in Gorongosa are always productive. We saw a lot of Genets every single night especially.

Mozambique_1730_Four-Toed Elephant Shrew-Bearbeitet.jpg

This evening we found more than 5 Elephant Shrew. Unfortunately this one absolutely refused to turn around.

Mozambique_1735_African Civet-Bearbeitet.jpg

Civets were also regulars. Pretty sure we saw them every evening. White-Tailed Mongoose also pretty common. We also found a Lioness with cubs close to camp, but they were moving too quickly to get a photo and quickly hid in the forest again.

Edited by michael-ibk

michael-ibk

Early next morning we soon found two young male lions not far from camp. (Yes, two, but they both were apparently fond of their personal space.) Did not look like they were up to anything exciting, so we did not stay.

Mozambique_1743_African Lion-Bearbeitet.jpg

Some birds on the plains:

Mozambique_1754_African Wattled Lapwing-Bearbeitet.jpg

Wattled Lapwing

Mozambique_1757_Red-Capped Lark-Bearbeitet.jpg

Red-Crested Lark - one of the very few Lark species to have at least a somewhat distinctive look.

Mozambique_1772_African Lion.jpg

More Lions a bit North of Lion House - a mother with her offspring, 2 boys and one girl.

Mozambique_1771_African Lion.jpg

All a bit scruffy and appeared to be hungry.

Mozambique_1801_African Lion-Bearbeitet.jpg

The young lady started to creep up to a Warthog. She did not do a bad job.

Mozambique_1803_African Lion-Bearbeitet.jpg

But then Mum spoilt all her efforts and paraded right in front of the Warthog, giving her away.

Mozambique_1808_African Lion-Bearbeitet.jpg

"Was that really necessary? Thanks for nothing! YOU are supposed to teach me, not spoil my efforts!"

Mozambique_1813_African Lion-Bearbeitet.jpg

But she did not give up, left her position, did a sneaky circle and managed to get into a fairly good position again.

Mozambique_1820_African Lion-Bearbeitet.jpg

The Warthog finally became alert but at first did not quite seem to realize what was going on. And nonchalantly passed by.

Mozambique_1822_African Lion-Bearbeitet.jpg

Perfect opportunity! Now there will be blood! Guts! Gore!

Not really sadly (although not for the Warthog), it seemed the young Lion got cold feet.

Mozambique_1826_African Lion-Bearbeitet.jpg

Only after the the Warthog had long passed the sweet spot to attack she finally thought it would be a good idea to actually get up and run after it.

Mozambique_1828_African Lion-Bearbeitet.jpg

But far, far too late and too half-hearted, she did not even get close. Oh well, maybe next time.

The temperature was still cool, so there was a good chance they could try something again. But we had places to go, so decided to leave.

Mozambique_1842_African Lion-Bearbeitet.jpg

Edited by michael-ibk

michael-ibk

So why the hurry? We had a really long day before us, because we wanted to get up far North, way beyond Gorongosa's regular game viewing circuit. Partly because we like to explore, and partly because an extraordingary sighting had been reported just a few days before. A Leopardess hanging around with Lions and even presenting to them!

More about that here!

Of course a needle in a haystack, and our quest was not to be successful. Not that we had really expected it to be - but of course one always hopes. So all we could do was talk about it. Ok, numbers of Leopards in Gorongosa are very low. So maybe Lady Leopard approached the Lions because she could not find a male? Maybe, but Doug made a good point. That only explains her side of the story. But why would the Lions be tolerating her? No shortage of them in the park. The normal reaction would be to just kill her. Lions and Leopards really don't like each other. So one can only theorise about the background of this unusual encounter.

It is a bit of a mystery why there are not more Leopards in the park. The habitat is absolutely perfect for them, and there's plenty of prey. Some articles state there used to be a good number of them but that they crashed because of hunting and the loss of their prey base during the war. Still, seems odd how well Lions have recovered (without introductions), apparently about 200 of them now. And not Leopards who are supposed to be the most resilient cat. I think 4 Leopards were introduced to the park by park management. Oddly, one male wandered off. Richard thinks there are more Leopards in the park than most sources say but they are very, very shy. He has had a number of sigthings in his years in the park, and semi-regularly discovers tracks.

But on with our exploration, boldy going where no one has gone before! Well, almost. :)

Mozambique_1850_White-Headed Vulture-Bearbeitet.jpg

White-headed Vultures are doing well in Gorongosa. Normally the rarest Vulture but we saw them regulary.

Mozambique_1855_Southern Reedbuck-Bearbeitet.jpg

After we left the plains we drove through a long stretch of grassland. Reedbuck and Oribi were plenty here, and of course Waterbuck are everywhere in Gorongosa. But as we had left the main circuit it was very obvious animals are not used to cars here, and so most animals were running when they saw us. Looked like good Serval country, and Richard confirmed they can be found here. No Caracal, at least he has never seen one.

IMG_6630.jpg

The road was really bad. Very, very bumpy. This section of the park is often flooded, and it does not seem like much work is done to keep this road in a better state. We did not see anything of note in this section. But got a huge adrenaline rush when we finally left the grasslands and entered forest. Big Snake on the road!

Mozambique_1861_Black Mamba-Bearbeitet.jpg

Black Mamba, one of the most feared animals all over Africa. Has a reputation of being aggessive, but experts say only when they feel cornered and that bites are rare. Well, I'm happy we did not make it feel cornered!:D

Mozambique_1868_Black Mamba.jpg

Very cool sighting, I've had one or two short glimpses over the years but this was my first photographable encounter.

Mozambique_1871_Black Mamba-Bearbeitet.jpg

The only black part of this Mamba is the inside of its mouth which it displays when feeling threatened. Thank you, no need to see your Black, just move on buddy.B)

IMG_6634.jpg

Coffee at what reminded me a bit of Zakouma.

Mozambique_1875_African Palm-Swift-Bearbeitet.jpg

Palm-Swift.

Mozambique_1881_Yellow-Billed Kite-Bearbeitet.jpg

Yellow-billed Kite.

Mozambique_1885_Southern Carmine Bee-Eater-Bearbeitet.jpg

We were particularly pleased to see a few Carmine Bee-Eaters, simply a great bird.

Mozambique_1888_Oribi.jpg

After a while the landscape changed into broken woodland, more reminiscent of the Musekese area of Kafue.

Mozambique_1895_Greater Kudu-Bearbeitet.jpg

Lots of Kudu, Bushbuck and Nyala here, but none of them fancied hanging with us. Also saw our first Hartebeest (running off). The only somewhat bold animal here is Baboon, but as usual we did not take photos of them.

IMG_6660.jpg

This was the area where the Lion / Leopard scene had occurred. We scanned a lot but could not find any trace of Big Cats.

Mozambique_1910_European Bee-Eater-Bearbeitet.jpg

Well, always some pretty birds to look at - European Bee-Eater.

IMG_6665.jpg

A beautiful area to drive through, but unfortunately also quite popular with Safari nuisance Nr. One - Tsetse fly!

IMG_6675.jpg

Edited by michael-ibk

Atravelynn

What an odd occurrence with the lion and leopard.  Wishing for peaceful days ahead for the elephants in Gorongosa.

Peter Connan

That fever-tree-dotted forest you found the ellies in is really beautiful!

Lovely sighting of the Mamba.

Really interesting story about the leopard and the lions. Regarding the leopard numbers, I have a suspicion that leopards also become very shy in areas where humans are either scarce or dangerous to them. As a boy on my grandfather's farm (which, like most of the others around it was typically only inhabited for about one month per year) we used to see leopard tracks quite frequently, but the leopard itself almost never. In later years when the area was visited more often, we started seeing more leopard but roughly the same number of tracks.

madaboutcheetah

Really interesting park, @michael-ibkand thanks for sharing all the awesome images .......  I'm surprised that they have the Green Malkhova in Mozambique - as, they are fairly widespread here in Southern India. 

michael-ibk

Thanks  @Atravelynn, @Peter Connanand @madaboutcheetah!

On 1/24/2024 at 4:49 AM, Atravelynn said:

Wishing for peaceful days ahead for the elephants in Gorongosa.

So say we all!

14 hours ago, Peter Connan said:

Regarding the leopard numbers, I have a suspicion that leopards also become very shy in areas where humans are either scarce or dangerous to them.

Sounds very plausible Peter. Doug and Richard were sure there must be more of them in the park than is generally believed.

13 hours ago, madaboutcheetah said:

I'm surprised that they have the Green Malkhova in Mozambique - as, they are fairly widespread here in Southern India. 

A different species Hari - I assume you mean Green-Billed Malkoha?

michael-ibk

It was past noon when we finally reached the Vunduzi river, far in the North of the park.

IMG_6693.jpg

A bit nonsensical that park staff did all that work to help cross the river - the road ends just 50 metres on the other side!

We were really far away from the gameviewing circuit up here.

Screenshot_20240125_204007_edit_1275200968298120.jpg.7fd95c41d3e78487f79dc3be970097eb.jpg

IMG_6691.jpg

It was very, very hot - Doug and me both took a super refreshing bath in the river. Pretty much fully clothed. Dry again in less than 15 minutes. Richard and Lucky prepared a delicious lunch for us. A great spot to rest, nice view and at least it was a bit cooler by the water.

We were very surprised when all of a sudden three men showed up on the other side. What was anybody doing here? Simple answer: There is a park ranger's post very close nearby, and they simply wanted to take a dip into the river. :)

IMG_6709.jpg

IMG_20231023_115902.jpg

Brai master Richard. I really cannot overpraise him by the way - one of the very best guides we ever had. Richard is from Zimbabwe and has worked all over Africa, Botswana, Kenya, Tanzania, you name it. Very experienced guide. He saw Gorongosa as a new challenge, and has been here for a few years now. Absolutely fantastic birder too, knows everything by song/call. We really had had no idea what level of guiding to expect here in Mozambique (a big reason why we wanted Doug along as a private guide). But if the general level of guiding is only half of Richard's level it's excellent.

At about 12:30 we decided to start our long journey back. Still hoped to find that Lioncrazy Leopard (we did not), and it was a long way back in any case. Shortly after we left the river we found an old Sable bull.

Mozambique_1961_Sable Antelope-Bearbeitet.jpg

Not a good poser but always exciting to see this magnificent antelope.

Mozambique_1950_Sable Antelope-Bearbeitet.jpg

Sable don't seem to do to well these days in the park, their numbers are constantly declining. Just 240 were counted in 2022 as opposed to 757 back in 2014. And we did not see any apart from up here in the North. Worth mentioning though that they are not really around in the main game viewing area. The West, East and North provide more suitable habitats for them. We had planned to spend some time specifically looking for them but even with seven nights in Gorongosa we ultimately did not find the time to do that!

IMG_6718.jpg

A nice Baobab area. Not far from here we saw a leucistic Waterbuck, very cool-looking animal (a bit like a Unicorn) but unfortunately could not get a photo.

IMG_6719.jpg

A lovely stretch of the river. Unfortunately it was right here that the day stopped being fun for me. Some readers might remember that I'm in a (mostly losing) battle against my own back. And this day simply had been a bit too much, my right leg stopped to do what I wanted it to do. I was hobbling for the next two or three days, and generally needed a lot of painkillers. So I was trying to lay flat in the vehicle on the way back. Still had to sit up for a few things.

Mozambique_1979_Sable Antelope-Bearbeitet.jpg

A few Sable were galloping across the road but already pretty far away when I got up.

Mozambique_1990_Greater Kudu-Bearbeitet.jpg

Finally a posing Kudu!

Mozambique_1999_Green-Backed Woodpecker-Bearbeitet.jpg

Green-backed Woodpecker, not a species you see every day.

IMG_6726.jpg

One of the dry riverbeds. Very soon now all these would become absolutely unpassable after the rains.

Mozambique_2005_Crowned Hornbill-Bearbeitet.jpg

Crowned Hornbill

Mozambique_2009_Blue Wildebeest-Bearbeitet.jpg

Our first Wildebeest. I was not unhappy when we finally arrived in camp about 18:30 or so.

Today, as I've mostly forgotten the pain I was in I remember this as a very good day. Not the most exciting sightings given that animals were so shy but we definitely enjoyed the feeling of being really far, far away from everything and in the middle of the beautiful wilderness of Gorongosa.

Edited by michael-ibk

michael-ibk

I had no desire to get back into a car next morning so we agreed on a late breakfast (at 05:30 :)) and a walk around camp, depending how far I could hobble. Fortunately I found that walking was actually good for me (it usually is), and after some very flat light the weather became quite nice.

IMG_6740.jpg

We did not see any mammals apart from the usual Waterbuck, Impala and Baboon but were entertained enough by birds and lots of other little things.

Mozambique_2011_Red-Throated Twinspot-Bearbeitet.jpg

Red-throated Twinspot

IMG_4338.jpg

Mozambique_2036_Southern Cordon-Bleu-Bearbeitet.jpg

Cordon-bleu

IMG_4277.jpg

IMG_4334.jpg

IMG_6750.jpg

Mozambique_2022_Pale Batis-Bearbeitet.jpg

Pale Batis

IMG_6738.jpg

IMG_4310.jpg

Mozambique_2030_Narina Trogon-Bearbeitet.jpg

Narina Trogon. Great bird to see but really wish it could have turned around for me.

IMG_4353.jpg

Mozambique_2045_Gorongosa Wild Camp-Bearbeitet.jpg

michael-ibk

After a second breakfast (feel free to call us Hobbits) we decided to do at least a short and slow drive.

IMG_6764.jpg

IMG_4394.jpg

This Dragonfly seemed to really like our antenna.

Mozambique_2057_Cape Buffalo-Bearbeitet.jpg

This dagga boy did not seem to like anything or anybody.

Mozambique_2058_African Lion-Bearbeitet.jpg

Two young Lions. It was already quite hot now so they were of course doing what they mostly do - nothing!

Mozambique_2063_African Lion-Bearbeitet.jpg

"I'm not doing nothing, I'm just building up energy!"

Mozambique_2083_Marabou Stork-Bearbeitet.jpg

We had coffee at "Paradise" and spent our time with the waterbirds there.

Mozambique_2088_Marabou Stork-Bearbeitet.jpg

I may be the only person on Safaritalk quite enjoying seeing Marabou - they were the very first animal I saw in Africa!

Mozambique_2094_Marabou Stork-Bearbeitet.jpg

Mozambique_2101_Hamerkop-Bearbeitet_Marabou Stork.jpg

This runlet was a refuge for an amazing number of fish, and of course Herons, Storks and Hamerkops were taking advantage of that.

Mozambique_2141_Saddle-Billed Stork-Bearbeitet.jpg

A slightly more attractive Stork. :)

Mozambique_2133_Saddle-Billed Stork-Bearbeitet_Marabou Stork.jpg

michael-ibk

The birds were caring less and less about us sitting with them. A lovely experience, it's always magical when animals stop being afraid and you can watch them almost as being part of them. And the scene became even more enjoyable when a flock of Pelicans came in.

Mozambique_2131_Great White Pelican-Bearbeitet_Marabou Stork.jpg

Mozambique_2127_Great White Pelican-Bearbeitet_Marabou Stork.jpg

A very cool spectacle. Not for the fish though - certainly a massacre going on from their point of view.

Mozambique_2179_Great White Pelican-Bearbeitet.jpg

Mozambique_2111_Great White Pelican-Bearbeitet.jpg

Mozambique_2145_Marabou Stork-Bearbeitet.jpg

Mozambique_2182_Marabou Stork-Bearbeitet.jpg

Mozambique_2194_Marabou Stork-Bearbeitet.jpg

Mozambique_2157_Great White Pelican-Bearbeitet.jpg

Mozambique_2118_Great White Pelican-Bearbeitet.jpg

Mozambique_2124_Great White Pelican-Bearbeitet.jpg

Mozambique_2128_Great White Pelican-Bearbeitet_Marabou Stork.jpg

Mozambique_2075_Great White Pelican_Marabou Stork-Bearbeitet.jpg

Not the worst location to spend an hour or two.

IMG_6779.jpg

In the afternoon: Dog time again!

Edited by michael-ibk

Some great sightings @michael-ibk. Sorry to hear about your back pain causing problems here. But we can see your determination in action.

Atravelynn

"The birds were caring less and less about us sitting with them. A lovely experience, it's always magical when animals stop being afraid and you can watch them almost as being part of them."  

Don't know that I would boast about becoming one with the marabous.

And the scene became even more enjoyable when a flock of Pelicans came in.

These less odious companions have redeemed you in relation to the company you keep.

Fabulous closeups shots and videos of the feeding and flapping!

Especially liked that vivid green little grasshopper and the green-backed woodpecker.

I am so sorry about your back and can personally relate (at least somewhat) to the pain you experienced.  Glad you have the painkillers and I hope you were not inconvenienced or worse throughout the trip.

Edited by Atravelynn

Peter Connan

I think I could spend all day at "paradise"!

That old Dagga boy really does embody the essence of Buffalo, doesn't it!

Thanks for dragging me to Gorongosa Michael, and so sorry to hear about your back. I am sure my wife would empathize. We recently had some X-rays done and discovered that she has some "fractured" screws in one of her fractured joints.

Kitsafari
1 hour ago, Peter Connan said:

I think I could spend all day at "paradise"!

Me too! and hopefully the african fish eagle added its iconic calls at the paradise. 

1 hour ago, Peter Connan said:

I am sure my wife would empathize. We recently had some X-rays done and discovered that she has some "fractured" screws in one of her fractured joints.

@Peter Connan oh dear that sounds pretty painful

@michael-ibk hope your back improved significantly after that day. 

How bad were the dreadful tse-tses? you know how much they love me (and poor @AndMic). 

michael-ibk

Thanks @Atravelynn, @Peter Connanand @Kitsafari!

16 hours ago, Atravelynn said:

Don't know that I would boast about becoming one with the marabous.

Got me there Lynn!

8 hours ago, Peter Connan said:

I am sure my wife would empathize. We recently had some X-rays done and discovered that she has some "fractured" screws in one of her fractured joints.

I am sorry to hear that Peter, all the best for your wife!

6 hours ago, Kitsafari said:

How bad were the dreadful tse-tses?

A minor nuisance I would say, not too drastic. But @AndMicmight remember that quite differently...:D

michael-ibk

Mozambique_2208.jpg

The weather was lovely in the afternoon, a welcome change. Early on we had a very exciting sighting - a Large Grey Mongoose. A really huge animal which I might or might not have seen in Kwara many years ago. No doubt about the ID this time but it was just running over the road in the middle of the forest totally unexpected, so no photo unfortunately! Mongoose in general are super shy in Gorongosa. Banded, Slender, Dwarf, saw all the classics but could never get a shot.

We found two cool raptors, first a Lizard Buzzard ...

Mozambique_2199_Lizard Buzzard-Bearbeitet.jpg

... and then a Fasciated (or Southern Banded) Snake-Eagle, a lifer for me!

Mozambique_2203_Fasciated Snake-Eagle-Bearbeitet.jpg

Mozambique_2209_Grey Go-Away-Bird-Bearbeitet.jpg

Grey Go-Away-Birds

Mozambique_2222_African Wild Dog.jpg

But this was supposed to be a Dog afternoon, and it was. Richard soon found them.

Mozambique_2221_Hooded Vulture-Bearbeitet.jpg

They had fed well today so most of them were not very active almost until it got dark. But always one or two doing something to keep us entertained.

Mozambique_2217_African Wild Dog-Bearbeitet.jpg

Looking like me after the Festive season!

Mozambique_2230_African Wild Dog-Bearbeitet.jpg

Mozambique_2253_African Wild Dog-Bearbeitet.jpg

We were annoyed when another car with tourists came in. We had been so spoilt with our "private park" so far that even one car felt like an intrusion. :D But they did not stay long, most safari guests don't care much for the Dogs. Or "Hyena", as most people take them for.

Mozambique_2256_African Wild Dog-Bearbeitet.jpg

Nothing super exciting happened, the Dogs were all just too happy with their feast from this morning.

Mozambique_2259_African Wild Dog-Bearbeitet.jpg

But no problem, we love simply sitting with the Dogs, it was a very enjoyable afternoon.

Mozambique_2260_Hooded Vulture-Bearbeitet.jpg

Their constant companion.

Mozambique_2266_African Wild Dog-Bearbeitet.jpg

Not much else to say about the afternoon so just a few more photos.

Mozambique_2269_African Wild Dog-Bearbeitet.jpg

Mozambique_2276_African Wild Dog-Bearbeitet.jpg

Mozambique_2291_African Wild Dog-Bearbeitet.jpg

Mozambique_2300_African Wild Dog-Bearbeitet.jpg

Mozambique_2301_African Wild Dog-Bearbeitet.jpg

Mozambique_2307_African Wild Dog-Bearbeitet.jpg

Mozambique_2314_African Wild Dog-Bearbeitet.jpg

Mozambique_2323_African Wild Dog-Bearbeitet.jpg

Mozambique_2325_African Wild Dog-Bearbeitet.jpg

Mozambique_2336_African Wild Dog-Bearbeitet.jpg

We would meet the next day again, and then they were hungry - there will be blood!

Mozambique_2342_African Wild Dog-Bearbeitet.jpg

Edited by michael-ibk

BRACQUENE

Brilliant wild dogs Michael ; the one with the open mouth is stunning : thanks for this great TR that shows us the wildness and beauty of Gorongosa NP ! 

Great photos again. I like all of them, but particularly the wider shot of a solo dog with grass and trees. I wouldn’t have thought to take that but it works really well.

Interesting that people don’t stay to watch dogs 

Kitsafari

Yay yay for the doggies! 

9 hours ago, TonyQ said:

Great photos again. I like all of them, but particularly the wider shot of a solo dog with grass and trees. I wouldn’t have thought to take that but it works really well.

I especially like the dog-in-landscape too. I'm a sucker for that kind of image.

As for spending time with dogs, some of our most interesting and entertaining times were watching dogs at their dens... the hunters returning to feed the pups and babysitters; the pups playing and pestering the adults; a lone hooded vulture wandering among the pups and picking up scraps (or droppings?); and so on. 

None of the wildlife was boring or a turn-off for us. Love the variety in your TR @michael-ibk

michael-ibk

Thanks @BRACQUENE, @TonyQ, @Kitsafariand @John M.. :)

On 1/26/2024 at 6:16 PM, TonyQ said:

I guess this is more of a thing in parks with many first-timers and not so much with more experienced safari fans. People who are not very much into animals (like most of us here are) generally don't care much about the Dogs in my experience. Whenever I show photos from our trips to friends most of them will ask "Is that a Hyena?". Hyenas are even less popular than Dogs apparently.