Michael's Ninth Year

michael-ibk

michael-ibk

21/E21) Little Grebe (Tachybaptus ruficollis) / Zwergtaucher

Chiemsee/Germany, 21/1/24. Not uncommon but always difficult for me because of its diminutive size. The converter really helped.

Jänner_063_Zwergtaucher-Bearbeitet.jpg

Edited by michael-ibk

michael-ibk

22/E22) Arctic Loon (Gavia arctica) / Prachttaucher

Chiemsee/Germany, 21/1/24. Another very rare one for me. Very distant, so I was pleasantly surprised I got something recognizable at least.

Jänner_078_Prachttaucher.jpg

Jänner_083_Prachttaucher.jpg

michael-ibk

23/E23) Whooper Swan (Cygnus cygnus) / Singschwan

Chiemsee/Germany, 21/1/24. Again veeeery distant, but this is the only location where it's possible for me to see them, and in Winter only, so I doubt I will get another chance.

Jänner_146_Singschwan-Bearbeitet.jpg

michael-ibk

24/E24) Eared aka Black-necked Grebe (Podiceps nigricollis) / Schwarzhalstaucher

Chiemsee/Germany, 21/1/24. They are regulars in Winter but mostly a bit too far from shore. Think this is actually my best effort so far even though the light was deteriorating quickly. ebird was totally confusing me with the "Eared" thing, don't know when that change happened. To make it worse the German translation of "Eared Grebe", Ohrentaucher, is our name for Slavonian Grebe (which now seems to be Horned Grebe).

Jänner_150_Schwarzhalstaucher-Bearbeitet.jpg

Jänner_147_Schwarzhalstaucher-Bearbeitet.jpg

michael-ibk

25/E25) Black-headed Gull (Chroicocephalus ridibundus) / Lachmöwe

Chiemsee/Germany, 21/1/24. I will never get into Gulls (hardcore birders find them endlessly fascinating but I think just so that they can show off :D) but at least they are good subjects for BIF exercises.

Jänner_156_Lachmöwe-Bearbeitet.jpg

michael-ibk

26/E26) Common Gull (Larus canus) / Sturmmöwe

Chiemsee/Germany, 21/1/24. An uncommon Gull in my area.

Jänner_152_Sturmmöwe-Bearbeitet.jpg

michael-ibk

27/E27) Yellow-legged Gull (Larus michahellis) / Mittelmeermöwe

Chiemsee/Germany, 21/1/24. Only exciting because there's always hope it could be a Caspian (much rarer here).

Jänner_162_Mittelmeermöwe-Bearbeitet.jpg

Jänner_161_Mittelmeermöwe-Bearbeitet.jpg

So that was a really nice day out - also got my #1, the Waxwings, here.

Kitsafari

congrats on the lifer! i hope some of the waxwings continue to fly east, perhaps to our shores one day? they're such beautiful birds. 

Excellent day, beautiful light. beautiful photos.

Yellowhammer.  I read that the name in UK  and goes back to Anglo-Saxons and German language of the time (before we were invaded by the Normans). "Ammer" was   "Bunting". I notice the German name you have is  "Goldammer"

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/apr/28/bird-names-origins-blackbird-yellowhammer

The book the article is based on is an interesting read also

michael-ibk

Ah yes, that makes sense, should have figured it out myself. Almost all other Buntings are "Ammer" in German.

Thanks Tony!

Edited by michael-ibk

Lovely selection of birds from Chiemsee, Michael.

pedro maia

Early start this year Michael, do you need help to set a reasonable goal for your BY?

You know I’m here to helpB).

michael-ibk

It’s so good to have friends like you Pedro.;)

• 3 weeks later...
michael-ibk

28/E28) Lesser Spotted Woodpecker (Dryobates minor) / Kleinspecht

Gaisau/Tirol, 3/2/24. Rare but I don't think I ever had a BY without one. Always a treat to see.

8C9A5104-Bearbeitet.jpg

This was also the day I had my great Stoat sighting:

8C9A6142-Bearbeitet.jpg

michael-ibk

29/E29) Horned Grebe (Podiceps auritus) / Ohrentaucher

Walchensee/Germany, 4/2/24. February was not very productive for me. Pretty busy, and the weather was awful most weekends. This was a "bycatch" of  a failed quest to get a White-Billed Loon. Not a bad one, only my third sighting. Unfortunately these birds always tend to stay far away from shore.

Feber_159_Ohrentaucher.jpg

michael-ibk

30/E30) Grey-headed Woodpecker (Picus canus) / Grauspecht

Tiebelmündung/Carinthia, 10/2/24. One of my favourite (and usually most productive) places but the weather was just awful, so did not take many photos. But can never pass a chance for this one, one of our rarest Woodpeckers. Probably had more Big Years without it than with it.

Feber_168_Grauspecht-Bearbeitet.jpg

michael-ibk

31/E31) Greater Scaup (Aythya marila) / Bergente

Tiebelmündung/Carinthia, 10/2/24. Highly unlikely I will get this  one again (my third sighting of this bird) this year so might as well post this ebc.

Feber_170_Bergente-Bearbeitet.jpg

BRACQUENE

Congratulations Michael !  Two Woodpeckers , one I will probably never see because we don't  have him over here and another one I have been chasing for three days , seen and heard a few times but no photo yet but I will persist ;)

• 1 month later...

Never mind the birds. That's a great Ermine Stoat. Never see them like that here. Is there a green Emoji?

michael-ibk

32/E32) Spanish Sparrow (Passer hispaniolensis) / Weidensperling

Popeye Village, 23/3/24. Saying Hi from Malta - and testing my new mobile. 😄

20240323_153609.jpg.2ac6dfead2ffb395c299c8aae9e9dd08.jpg

Your new mobile is working great ... for sparrows :).

• 2 weeks later...
Kitsafari

with a mobile like that, you don't need the big stuff. 

• 2 weeks later...
michael-ibk

33/O1) House Sparrow (Passer domesticus) / Haussperling

Muscat, Oman, 24/2/24. Starting my Oman birds with the most spectacular species. :D

Oman_140_House Sparrow-Bearbeitet.jpg

My birds are probably a bit redundant since Alex has posted them, and many will be basically the same shot. But every birds counts, and I need to get this going, too many unprocessed photos on my harddisc!

michael-ibk

34/O2) Green-winged aka Eurasian Teal (Anas crecca) / Krickente

Muscat River Mouth, Oman, 24/2/24. Another one I really had to travel to Oman for. :D

Oman_061_Green-winged Teal-Bearbeitet.jpg

michael-ibk

35/O3) Eurasian Oystercatcher (Haematopus ostralegus) / Austernfischer

Muscat River Mouth, 24/2/2024. Another familiar face from Europe (although one I rarely see here in landlocked Austria, come on, do mock me @PeterHG!:))

Oman_011_Eurasian Oystercatcher-Bearbeitet.jpg