Bounding about the Bush – Another Doug Mac adventure

AfricIan

I’ve realised that unless I start this TR I never will as I’m already one trip behind (Panama last month) so my thinking is that if I make a start then you will collectively “encourage” me to get on with it!

I was “flying solo” for this trip in that Vicky wasn’t coming along but being as it was a Doug Macdonald small group safari I knew I wouldn’t be alone and not unexpectedly, Caroline, Caroline (which did cause a little confusion early on), Lynn, David & I all got on very well.  I’d booked, as usual, through Busanga Safaris (as had Lynn & David) and flying Emirates from Stansted via Dubai & Lusaka to Harare.

The plan was:
Malcolm Lodge, Harare 1 night
Masasanya Camp, 3 nights
Fly Camp, 1 night
Chilojo Cliff Bush Camp, 4 nights

Although Stansted is only 15min away from home, it’s a long 19hr drag to Harare as the plane sits on the ground in Lusaka for 1.5hrs in addition to the 2hrs connection wait in Dubai so not ideal. My original plan was to fly Qatar but they decided to bring forward the time of the return flight forward by 6hrs meaning I’d have to spend another night in Harare and kick my heels in Doha for 9hrs as Qatar & BA between them couldn’t (wouldn’t?) sort a sensible reschedule without charging me lots of £££ for the privilege (:angry:).

Anyway, I made it Harare & after a very comfortable night & breakfast at Malcome Lodge our little band headed back to the airport for our Mack Air flight down to Gonarezhou.

Gonarezhou is the “Place of Elephants” and sure enough there were Elephants

ABLVV87foXpAVkqq6N_4BKAsDB6Ve0UxddZe5oeB

Lion (sometimes doing things other than being flat-cats)

ABLVV87_AqmmjeqLNbX3dh_KoGsk9-5GpCV2pRrL

Pretty things

ABLVV84oAc4tFSWkP2gg4MxDl71su62R2zS-PHmU

Spectacular views

ABLVV85QJOIKbal6P7hXSd4Y2AwQsmsXuTpdOkvY

Ugly things

ABLVV87berfi1ETTsFrCtRwJkF3IbKnMdqymQk9Q

And much, much more to come.

Edited by AfricIan
Correct links

Masasanya Camp 

After a very pleasant flight down from Harare we crossed over with @Seniortraveller & her returning group on the Chipinda Pools airstrip before heading off to Masasanya Camp which is a nice semi-permanent camp has 4 chalets overlooking the Masasanya dam, not far from the airstrip and within the fenced “rhino protection fence”.

ABLVV84KWWMHW1oUImC5JsYaVL8Ka2JzxJEBiRvA

ABLVV84eyDIQjSTac4FP_NnnGLspd7-a4oRRXmRB

My “umble abode for” 3 nights. 
ABLVV868z-evG__VSzB5xsZp2z0ANC1Cu3rhgqTZ

ABLVV86jL_m2MxcZHBn1Wf01tCM_3Za9RsEJFH54

ABLVV84l0nfS7oolE4O06JtfHb3tK0B82lwFnqkC

ABLVV878pamzQYfsSS4KHibj2NkoVC3BjHMxrQOK

The hot water system can be seen on top of the enviro toilet and even at 5am there was still plenty of hot water for a quick self-mix bucket shower before breakfast. The reed shutters gave a great view out over the dam and I never bothered shutting them.

ABLVV87jM7mTjVGpdNf8L8SpnMuZiRzt_p_DocOa

My chalet mates were a family of Wire-tailed Swallows who kept me amused whenever I was in the chalet

ABLVV851SzFyJTzaiTZCbwGeEHCJpo_aGZwXXWHW

ABLVV87oSBnvPKgt-o6KmXEs4TLUuI0FEOK-koJs

ABLVV86ePPQHszj0aj48PPfEKw7_dqL5iS1u_8Uj

ABLVV86W2DdS5m6a9zMfOMevx1xtwAgM0CNkLVLt

Meals were around the communal table in the central “building” as was 24hr battery/phone charging.

ABLVV86hvhpgXOckeNNbsvQ5EBZrE4sQ3VlqUfQd

There was always something to see in/over the dam

ABLVV85lr14zfVcpauI6FgrT8VhiAXEJep61x7oT

ABLVV86xQ_2FL2vm0SWvz_3qOiHSq3gFdRSTT51c

I'd never realised that Yellow-billed Storks were so "double jointed"

ABLVV87j2xka-vJbXJy3WXMMQe8d2URRyKpZ9JP3
Anyone for a swim?

ABLVV86haOMr30mR5bR-X3F2F3IK_JWEvO3YDb5D

The Black-winged Stilt wasn't on todays menu.

ABLVV841TvXwP2KUl5WKCjNhBrpf7i81T1OmrV5B

ABLVV84IqS8_myrVftGf-A4Bfh4dmJ5I_V-tKbh3

Three-banded Plover

ABLVV847mFQZW23KuiDJyh-5TL_WD75UrBiw0VKt

ABLVV86xB7U8d6Irx1GCQsIgLCrYYlbuth2IFjkt

ABLVV86q300Z2ap5_XPo9TskBs0HH_VNz2WPHxsp

Next: Out & About from Masasanya

Nice start to your report thanks @AfricIan

Thanks for your comment @Hads & thanks to everyone who’s following along. Before we head out, I’m aware that there have recently been a couple of great Gonarezhou reports from @BRACQUENE& @michael-ibk/ @Atravelynnbut from what I remember of them we saw/did some different things so I hope this isn’t going to be too repetitive.
Also, a short further word on Masasanya camp which, along with the Chilojo Cliff Bush Camp, is leased by Doug on an exclusive basis for his “Bush Bound Safaris”. Thus, the accommodation & “housekeeping” were provided by local staff whilst Doug’s team of Matt & Melody did all the cooking and kept us well lubricated.  As @michael-ibktold you, when they were there they had an “Eat your way round Africa” theme with a different country featuring each day. I was pleased that this continued for my trip, starting (if I remember correctly) in Ethiopia & working anti-clockwise round the continent as it’s a great concept and brilliantly executed – nobody goes hungry on a Doug Mac safari!

3) Out & about from Masasanya 

The map here:  shows that Gonarezhou is a big park & we only scratched the surface of the North East corner and as I mentioned previously, Masasanya camp is within the fenced “rhino protection area” so we naturally focused our attention on finding Rhino. Over the next couple of days, we were up and out at or before sun-up, sometimes on foot, sometimes driving out but even when we left camp in the vehicle we were soon out of the vehicle & walking “to see what we could see” – indeed Doug was quickly christened the “Grand Old Duke of York” such was his propensity for “marching us up to the top of the hill & marching us down again” (:D). Despite Doug’s best efforts, of the ~30 rhino that are meant to be in the protection area, we saw not a trace but there was plenty of other things to keep us on our toes:

There were 5 of us in the vehicle so I thought I’d try out the “passenger” seat next to Doug for a lower down perspective to that which I’m used to and as the others were happy to settle themselves into the two rows behind Doug & I, that’s where we stayed the whole trip.  I’m not going to do a “day-by-day” account but rather just flag up some of the interesting sightings:

I know “the eyes have it” but how Doug spotted this little fella whilst driving along I’ll never know; it took ages before I saw what he was looking at!

AP1GczN9dCgkrM4qkFngk1rTVNlb2_R-vFl92nOh

Eastern Rock Elephant Shrew (Sengi)

AP1GczPUo6MU62fxa1vISEsx8gNgxZ3H-ShlQ1bR

Chapmans Zebra

AP1GczPuC2Q-UhyXg97ns8j_NE6d8Q5KDE4KkoLK

Some were definitely "looking a bit chubby"

AP1GczPYdrj5r_zh7z_eg1LGGeE42j95zKJH9xm0

Male Kori Bustard displaying 

AP1GczPX2uDmOOIDJI-qBKqnVejRIahil3fVcHyFPics
AP1GczMG319F3rumg_Ky6iPc9Qszc5IJZOpBM-4_

His lady friend didn't seem that impressed though :(

AP1GczPLDkNr2PnckYymfYxtrFkXNzOMvzoAjNfw

We saw a number of bull elephants exhibiting "floppy trunk syndrome" 
AP1GczPOax0QtzVYgFqkyttr16AO1CAtlb2bhKpO
This, over a period of time, badly affects their ability to eat and drink as the paralysis progresses and there were some that were looking very emaciated even at that stage of the season. Doug's thinking was that unless there were good rains very soon which might stop the elephants being forced to eat the dry toxic vegetation, their outlook was bleak.

There were also:

Kudu

AP1GczOPt0zCEp6a2ngrRej5jOaOMQ8eekva-hui

AP1GczO_kq3bdkioh9lNoGLII3B3WNQPgsYijlLV

Grysbok

AP1GczPMn-Gw2Ua49ccnLvcPvOuWQr8IKYMyu6NR

Klipspringer

AP1GczP78hwenHObFb0V2KzVTrsJ8qqeNjFjBwIU

Buffalo

AP1GczM-t8EW0PsvqauzXWcwot58HLjtu_Ijta-e

Black-backed Jackal

AP1GczMeujttlQdjuXT3sGCMWbm27ZOL3CF5W0xU

Including an interesting "lack of encounter" between Jackal & Kori Bustard

AP1GczN8THu6C6xLDDpPtgLBDZTTKCndiRL3maNp

AP1GczPQJYjSBX0quWHJz0CkFgu0PgN4yxQPz5Px

A 3 hyaena group which had to be:

The good,

AP1GczMKhGkR0jmvAtMJ50pZ47V6iqEZkIdDODdz

The bad,

AP1GczPJXKVs7dEYu-mlXZQvAxopdMMsnrGcc_u_

and The ugly,

AP1GczP0qMjUi6esGDIPt3ejSb8V7SKBkxVgZX5x

Nyala

AP1GczOdI7tvbKe7BJc3WE5E2k1kD1S478CJi3JF

and, of course, Waterbuck

AP1GczNa-uIRX90YtOriSPIFUGLnDet7Nlh8dS0K

Lest anyone think I'm ignoring our feathered friends aficionados, just hold on a moment ;)

Edited by AfricIan

Moving on to our avian friends:

Brown Snake Eagle

AP1GczPs3R1q380UlojwB7fE7IMS9smrQ9bjgRXx

Swallow-tailed Bee-eater

AP1GczMFRoK99P_K_IZMJ4ZI0r4Aa0C14cGmT79e

Martial Eagle

AP1GczN3vOU0bYdJhIxeouLMll01x0WltIW8ZihX

Pied Kingfisher

AP1GczOq1jLQwUZdaDsuAkI_IV13LUY3wVE9TCoS

AP1GczO0X5bj5B4WCOd2Si-MZUndIuFiASlOuaL5

Hammerkop

AP1GczOOpOHneQQqka3YrSaEF6kqyk5W3v3Da3j9

Goliath Heron

AP1GczOouF_CoXWQbRUB-RL4kwCjU7PqErVZ2mSd

African Skimmer. Unfortunately they were skimming further downstream but I caught (well sort of!) this one heading back to the nest.

AP1GczOGVSb3VT1oXL6Xs-VHXCQpD-GypIJfjqcF

Brown-headed Parrot

AP1GczN8T0OXyHmQ3ZH8-8JLEeX6KiDSVJbmKusW

Of course there were Baobabs

AP1GczNexVfgJWLLDbgX8iAiQrMZqwHTj1hNJpCN

and Doug showed me how to "vertical panorama" a tree

AP1GczND3nVgyjR8bNZQRoo8qw10Wcrmkpsq_G96

There were views

AP1GczNaEZwIs6IRk8EMUuwrpINtuPF41YnqgR66

AP1GczPbfgTd-9aHUl2HGGgMEHHgaEhGJYWu8mPW

AP1GczM0YFE5vAQ5mGwjUZ2CGzgY5dMEvHTA-X8A

AP1GczP7bGlyw66mSaz5kYruhs6CfVDQgOSadjVq

Sunsets

AP1GczMcaepYPFm6I_rvO0e9FG9sbTreqrK_V-5_

A One minute & 30sec sunrise

and elephants doing what elephants do

AP1GczM_4ZUL4mYJpA3zsGm1PwmrLYoXfNQ9smvu

AP1GczMEIAi_5nAG49qbI3e0Hg8o-eAp55-SGL68

All in all, we had a very enjoyable and, bar the Rhino, productive few day at Masasanya however our last afternoon was very dull & by dinner time the wind was “Blowing a Hooley” so Doug suggested that we didn’t pack ready for the fly-camp but instead leave everything until the morning & then “make a plan”.

Next: The Plan

Atravelynn

Great title and I think Doug would approve.  What dates did you go?  You did indeed see different things than our group did in Nov, 2022, but I recognize some locations. What good spotting by Doug of that elephant shrew.  How exciting to find that little guy.

Seniortraveller

Some familiar locations for me too, just wish my photos were as good as yours.
Really enjoying reading about your trip and it may make you feel better to know, that we did not see any rhinos either!

On 2/28/2024 at 4:10 AM, Atravelynn said:

Great title and I think Doug would approve.  What dates did you go?  You did indeed see different things than our group did in Nov, 2022, but I recognize some locations. What good spotting by Doug of that elephant shrew.  How exciting to find that little guy.

Thanks Lynn, I arrived in Harare on the 28th Sept (last year) & we flew down to Gonarezhou the following morning, flying back to Harare early afternoon on the 7th Oct.

A little grey shrew with little brown ears on a grey rock with brown leaves, how did he do that? That’s (one of) the reasons Doug is a great guide!

On 2/28/2024 at 6:42 AM, Seniortraveller said:

Some familiar locations for me too, just wish my photos were as good as yours.
Really enjoying reading about your trip and it may make you feel better to know, that we did not see any rhinos either!

Thanks for the comment on my photos but you haven’t seen the vast number that have been abandoned on the “cutting room floor”!
I don’t recall @BRACQUENEor @michael-ibk/ @Atravelynn saying they'd seen rhino either so they are clearly "a bit on the elusive side".

Next morning dawned drizzly & very windy so a “team discussion” was had on “The Plan” - essentially whether to fly-camp, stay where we were for another night or move to the Chilojo Cliffs camp & hopefully fly-camp later. With the wind as strong as it was, I think it was Matt who was of the opinion that he could well be chasing the fly(ing)-tents down the road/river and we would probably be rolled up inside them ;) – it also transpired that we wouldn’t be able to stay at Masasanya so Option 3 was the universal choice.  Once we’d breakfasted & “packed”, the drizzle had stopped and although it remained very windy it was dry with the occasional peek of sun as we made our leisurely way eastwards towards the Chilojo Cliffs.

Chilojo Cliffs Tented Camp

Like Masasanya, we had sole use of The Chilojo Cliffs Camp which is a “classic” tented camp with large walk-in safari tents & en-suite facilities that is set on the banks of the Runde river, looking over the river towards the cliffs. 

AP1GczNffRvb_4p9LqafEyJ__6fJgXWjnw8LVc6_

AP1GczNAnOB7-Ee6ZddhFnVXIMqDs4wWnjvE0k2M

AP1GczMKaIzYJ6jBPnCvF6-qwKo5ac3Lj99jVo-z

AP1GczPc5Jnqt_XDNku_sCiUWsuUJ-bKogdo3qBi

It was still blowing a gale when we turned in and the light sleepers didn’t have a particularly restful night as the canvas flapped & the guy ropes creaked but we all made it through and we all agreed we’d made the right choice in postponing the fly-camp.

Next: Out & about from Chilojo

Out & about from Chilojo

It’s a bit easier to “compartmentalise” our time in Chilojo so I’ll start with our day “along the Sililijo River”:

AP1GczOiPqZDb7rn3rBs_M5_13oGLmkhc2XZGpPD
Very thin markings on this Zebra, almost reminiscent of a Grevy’s but its back makings were really strange, almost as if there was an interference pattern between the stripes & camera sensor.

Doggies

AP1GczOffUGCPkFbSzcKMsxeYIGnbnMeY2BQof_5

AP1GczMJHwvZ8dxZCxT3oablVUiKXQlFtF7PGkP7

and pups

AP1GczOZ9ZXGjLAigjK1bPkwLryZ87uC_pxeaxNe

AP1GczPIGi0OePI_sAdfBM-pD6gu-tcSyXWDw27L

Unfortunately they didn't hang around, quickly moving off into the bush & despite our best efforts to double back & “head them off at the pass” that was it but it wasn't long before Doug asked “Do you get the feeling we’re being watched”

AP1GczMYNgtlE5eF_YuV9Es7HLFmqtDHJWMX_PCE
As we were in the Sililijo valley these were therefore the “Sili boys” and almost certainly why the dogs weren't hanging around.

AP1GczPp_tlM3YEzdYfuMgZx6yxYQzCEqMv_Wk8n

AP1GczOvd0NNQ7B86hOQUy-8iyFWi5Tm6s3abIPn

These were "new" to the area and clearly likely to cause a bit of a headache for the current pair of dominant males.

Further on, it’s always said that if you sit & wait then the wildlife will come to you – sure enough Kudu, Wildebeest & Zebra obliged.

AP1GczNGoSHmJup9rygVcp9QMAQi929jGiAO6ihP

AP1GczPVqBgPxR7vWMb6hmrvN7QUbEwqOUlgd5h1

AP1GczORvCQNtj7WTvnPkCaFVAAQ_qPjWcm4_iz3

with appearances from a supporting cast of:

Tawney Eagle

AP1GczPL4JEKfjcjbT_ew0qvFRt97EE4GCVdE1TQ

Dwarf Mongoose

AP1GczM7mKnclRpeKVw1yAVTf1q55bg3DDcDAiqe

Patrolling Hyaena

AP1GczOpSQbDMF3IIfx2AhbeM_SQzkAF7D1v-SHz

Customary Roadblock

AP1GczORcs0uKVuPTliUPxF--oO52Ks-lecYr3no

Impala and Bush Duiker

AP1GczO-B3Cwy62BKrS1_1GdlLhRSQcr96G8_FA6

Next: The Cliffs

Atravelynn

Love the ox pecker laden kudu!  When I saw the vertical panorama baobab shot I knew that was Doug's suggestion even before reading your caption.  Sept to early Oct is prime time in Gonarezhou!  Such a view from Chilojo Cliffs Camp.  I want to be there now!

AfricIan
4 hours ago, Atravelynn said:

When I saw the vertical panorama baobab shot I knew that was Doug's suggestion even before reading your caption.

And I thought I was the only person he’d shown that trick to 😂 

Grasshopper_Club

@AfricIanWe just must have seen us, while your group was leaving at the airstrip. I was flying in with the plane on the 7th of October and start my journey then through the park with Doug.:)

Great report so far and great sightings, looking forward for more and it keeps brining back memories from "Gonners" as well for me. (I should start goiing through my pictures finally).

Ah the bridge at the Nkwangulatilo Causeway nice one, the place where I had my first sundwoner in "Gonners"...:)

I was thouroghly impressed by diversity of scenery through the park and the game viewing quality.  Another hightlight which left me impressed was the infrastructre of the park, which is absolutely top notch (Thanks to Frankfurt Zoological Society).

First night at Masasanya Camp we had a windstorm as well. I liked these valley kind of habitat around Masasanya a lot, it was great for walks as you were able to see further in the distance, which makes it easier to spot the animals. During my stay this was also the only place we saw the Kori Bustards throughout the park, they must like that kind habitat in Gonarezhou.

Atravelynn

I always find it amusing and coincidental when safaritalkers run into each other!   I agree with the "thoroughly impressed" comment!

AfricIan
On 3/1/2024 at 10:55 AM, Grasshopper_Club said:

@AfricIanWe just must have seen us, while your group was leaving at the airstrip. I was flying in with the plane on the 7th of October and start my journey then through the park with Doug.:)

Ah, were you on the plane that we flew out on? If I remember correctly Doug was expecting two aircraft bringing the guests in from different places.

On 3/1/2024 at 8:45 PM, Atravelynn said:

I always find it amusing and coincidental when safaritalkers run into each other!   I agree with the "thoroughly impressed" comment!

Likewise.

AfricIan
Posted (edited)

Thanks for following along folk & apologies for the delay in instalments but here we go for our day featuring:

The Cliffs

The ele’s, Nyala, Hammerkop & Spoonbill were out as we headed out towards our “target” for the morning.

AP1GczMYso4RWW7b1KbMJarjjNZzcC3br922Bof4

AP1GczOtzrCZAU1cN_WwlSiHPzZt9swQTaaYYIc1

AP1GczMNo42l_yrXy56m6kXOCGT1qBs5yDAjTUVd

AP1GczMddg0iZq3npZacAen_Q5SqxgwX30FeNoCH

AP1GczOcYjb6QLB2v-labd7TjmlL80xnsUssBuGB

There had been a lot of “Lion Activity” during the night with “calls from the right, calls from the left, calls from behind” and we soon came across the scene of some “fisticuffs”.

We did look to see where the blood trail went but, unsurprisingly, nobody was that keen on walking into a hurt lion, even if it was just to his feelings!

AP1GczOOs__0dyjVSWPBfBTXymy0fWczzoavzIb9AP1GczM2ArCmSbClJMB3Qtiw7TZzWZ-_k5BVbK7V

Further up the hills we came across Dwarf Mongoose and Giraffe before we jumped out of the vehicle to walk along the top of the cliffs & admire the spectacular views.

AP1GczNtJD79SkEHe8eBR5QJXUWh6k_3KLgcRMMW

AP1GczO_ywSwjzr4y7wSKhK2jjTcTFyangOtiRtwAP1GczNuHI6cCFKd3k823CsHEu3nzxb0U6Sg1mkX

AP1GczOyQAgOxW1KdYtszD2TAZtVa60PEdKF-clmAP1GczMRZDnrlSlCNLcM85qS7JtRz10V0Rih6yrs

AP1GczPqsVgYkVSIm3Ct_lHi7ycjyuEHlMD3LCco

AP1GczNIlczkhEBkr_yPcog6Z_N9fM1_NysBPNy5

AP1GczO6lcrFe65RFe5RCR8epJNAPTn8kZgaH7J8

AP1GczPkpELajOG81oWw29ew1bMkX_Y0tusgjYvg

AP1GczNtmPRJIEyd4iOnZX-hULS9i_Z1QFvNa1yW

If I remember correctly this is a Verreaux´s Eagle nest but there was no sign of the owner.

AP1GczMCiNWNIOZmM6Oza9P9dm8tdC0IznnimcO0

AP1GczNFd_YXpeDd_NgEKObSqggM_jySemiGMoFq

Heading back, a very obliging Spotted Eagle Owl,

AP1GczODcolkjVr88w2oK5EA0P6OiFQhkdg4zrLW

AP1GczONgS8uN5SR-HnFzNG1DjlWa8vGShNgWs7i

Bateleur & our friendly Nyala hadn’t moved far at all.

AP1GczNFWU_c2u4QyBtRDH7dR9dI_ZTUeTM0t7ql
AP1GczPvK-iVhbK5XHVogXdt2ZJnh2U1mY8tHxHy

After lunch there had clearly been a death of some sort but we couldn’t see what 

AP1GczO_1nmksHrUeKs_5R5dj0esyDayuDR0IRxS

AP1GczNR-WA0N5yk1j57M3T2K8K-2YZEZAOVRnJ9

AP1GczP2QD3K2Inj5VPJo5kZkI8GQ69YA7v7yDP3

AP1GczM6xikUBgKJuwYHTR7ZXGxBXIpO_6_KVigo

AP1GczMeR2VdccfsU87FfrnIhZT5tfPeK-zn_C2K

AP1GczNw8xJzlIxjuq-x0t05LVCJWjCTsdEvUx7q

then a bit later, our only sighting of Sable and more ele’s crossing the river

AP1GczNJ1OlSvK6VagI_MGylT1--48GOpyZU0Ayu

AP1GczPPo96Rtcqm6mnvuRy6xz6YsVNl0anRygDc

AP1GczPQsngwN_iCVKkNOMyZHi-cfnNao8r_5ozZ

AP1GczMzCIinG8LZ7Y-ijBI-2ztv5LhfMsBoKKIy

As the shadows lengthen we settled down at what must be the ideal sundowner spot

AP1GczP_ilsoWNPDZSEXesOu-hFArick-73LsneY

AP1GczMN3rRA6Kk3eYwwdsyo7qCdwYfMsQRpYwHZ

AP1GczPzjeZ6_lfYGCwUZIo__pgFjXE2YWBk5MVK

If only the ele herds had crossed whilst the cliffs were in full sunlight

AP1GczMrDhC0c0C3zNBwBk7kWtrDWcJy8WXOpAB-

And we headed for home & a chance to try out star shots

AP1GczOH2DZ5glX6k3E52iG7uh73QfFeWlJMRgcJ

AP1GczNOItYOrkYRccnHAVSLCA2f9WiS0WJ7rq0X

Next: The Pans

Edited by AfricIan
ID correction

Atravelynn

The cliffs, the glorious cliffs!  Lots of great views as foreground or background for your drinks.  You were surrounded by wildlife!

michael-ibk

Great photos Ian, takes me right back! I miss those cliffs, certainly one of the most stunning locations I've ever been to. The nest does indeed belong to to a Verreaux's but Eagle, not Eagle Owl.

AfricIan
9 hours ago, michael-ibk said:

Great photos Ian, takes me right back! I miss those cliffs, certainly one of the most stunning locations I've ever been to. The nest does indeed belong to to a Verreaux's but Eagle, not Eagle Owl.

Thanks for the complements on my photos Michael - still a lot of improvements needed though :(.  Thanks also for the correction to the Verreaux's, report amended.

AfricIan
Posted (edited)

Thanks for following along everyone, after a glorious sunrise we headed east towards the Save river and a few other early risers

AP1GczMMUzevCag1_e6K-JOlSGOzqW-2z5JIRXkr

AP1GczOrq4QVwoXNBpqgY_DcDUHvE6cBDGWoHF9E

AP1GczMsT1NKOzlNwXq5DkJqcxZBbNZydOwEibLX

AP1GczOmWzteJiZoaFLquTCWBpcbmrRid4V1r0LV

Firstly to the Tembwahata pan where, other than a White-fronted Bee-eater having its breakfast and Great Egret, al the “action” was on the far side of the pan. 

AP1GczP95hKF0GhGEFl2s7enNgkSZsBuAPtuGgLf

AP1GczOoBT7tHsJ5JLJglp4GRIRTBKSaP4Zz30cJ

AP1GczOO_AtVUKI22oalI6bVNPcaedWSm4-nLGTK

Pleasant though the Tembwahata pan was, it was very quiet so we decided to try our luck at the Machaniwa Pan which did have a bit more activity even though a lot of it was still on the far bank.

AP1GczO37QdwP5QQYVKktppNCDCu1HU4rpzIA_cN

AP1GczNXGvENCitdVwaVloppZsgOUiAA7S1IeZTZ

Heading back to camp there were, of course, more Baobabs  

AP1GczMnfrlIH5s8pIe_EJeG7oeZrd1WhxnkC7uo

including this one where the park authorities are trying to prevent further elephant damage by piling branches around the base of the trunk.  They're also experimenting with wrapping "diamond fencing" around the trunk which does appear to be deterring the ele's.

AP1GczMoquDFIUt0rguQGrFAe3adZUreZKHbXGjC

En-route we had good sightings of large breeding herds of elephant, Nyala, Eland & Red-crested Korhaan. Doug also stopped to give us the “opportunity” of a swim – the cool river was most welcome but as I have control of which photographs go into this report you’ll have to use your imagination to conjure up the sight, best described, of a beached manatee in the river ;).

AP1GczORRaP64lwDED8iMLXxAeOdA03HjzqIejSX

AP1GczNAEfmrz9zfQ8kzlU3_HmMD99AKzaocB03RAP1GczNgxyRefzXPzZev5r6qnSObNm7PaWIkMHoG

AP1GczNXiPtq4EUpOcdDewbHWeE3Gj_64DWMxX8d

AP1GczN4MFG9psRWUrtQ42G8zzTzNxphorp5p2Wy

AP1GczPITW6nsfg-CrD72iwDgJmvloYjoG3bkO1-

AP1GczMsd0TWOmtHoE8929o6ECPxtJQWMmfV_ZW1

Sundowner entertainment was provided by Waterbuck splashing across the river

AP1GczPD2iuSiTKcS-kWI_MxxbOEpDGhINivnT2_

AP1GczMiTU7TiMqyns_x5MZGldNUz3y1a_Ronqfq

AP1GczOC6CU7smoGRz2E6ikuJ61xwomR30uz8RBf

and the day ended as it had begun

AP1GczOjWRGlNW5qmDwZ8V4MtBIKo_M8vy9f_VbW

Next: Return of the “Sili boys” 

Edited by AfricIan

inyathi
On 2/29/2024 at 6:15 PM, AfricIan said:

Very thin markings on this Zebra, almost reminiscent of a Grevy’s but its back makings were really strange,

Very interested seeing your photo of the zebra with strange thin stripes, because it is clearly related to a herd, that I photographed on my Zim safari back in 2013, I included a couple of shots of this herd in a post in the Show us your Zebras topic, their stripe patterns are much the same, your zebra is probably not one of the individuals I saw, although wild zebras can live 20 years or so, I’ll check my other photos, just for interest, the unusual pattern must be the result of a genetic mutation that they share, so more likely it could be a foal from one of the zebras I saw, because they definitely have the same genes.

AfricIan

Very interesting indeed @inyathi, those markings really are so similar they must have a direct genetic link.  It's not something I've seen anywhere else.

There had been more “lion activity” during the night so Doug suggested we head upstream to see what was around and it wasn’t long before we came across the “Sili boys” chillin on the river bank. 

AP1GczMdPrq4RvKzi4xLLTpvrHLyLDeXu85RMRgc

Suddenly though, one of them jumped up and raced off to our left closely followed by the others. By the time we’d turned round & re-joined the road we thought we’d lost them but as we crested the rise we glimpsed a pack of dogs high-tailing it away with the lions clustered in a group just inside the tree-line.   Our immediate concern was whether the lions had caught the dogs but once the lions had settled it looked like they’d managed a “snatch & grab” job on the dogs breakfast and hopefully all the dogs had got away.

AP1GczPpSDe5C37ciVm1RS1TupmL7kP7w6QUHYgu

AP1GczPUNlubEPf0nuAcLCeNbS0QesBvk2xrfoak

One of the 5 was "much more equal than the others" & he was making sure he got the "lions share" of what we thought was an impala.

AP1GczNR92taGvPpgQToft5A9iQFUUJlkW9Jl86M

AP1GczMnG-NN3rUjws1y6YSJWpAmMYP_N3Gy8ihV

AP1GczN1fQ8J56kCovVKFDosQ9pIalLFgQJlIWqE

AP1GczMXhfheiCStoEWSFNc-s_L9vxF4cHyfsm1R

AP1GczMOQQ2Iw48wA7q7ekDtuGcAI_V6P6zSV6su

A lone Hyena came to investigate

AP1GczOgfXOMDK4GwkbwEtCOHeToCosk-Apw6nYs

But was soon "discouraged"

AP1GczObtEhF4bVwP4fLpS-7mtu1SLKh1chiqXMX

A Tawney Eagle had been watching the proceedings and when it flew off, landing again just before it went out of sight, we wondered if that's where the dogs had stopped but although it would have been an easy walk nobody fancied being lion fodder :(

AP1GczM34LnHkcAAQIBSPXGwHzLDVaBywax2huwaAP1GczN6disND6HpRO8g-dms_BDV-L2sNNal6ENl

Later, 
Baobab in leaf,

AP1GczOAjNM30ox7ayr9Uhh5QIYprPox0b9rFN1i

and back on the river, 

White-fronted Bee-eater,

AP1GczP1l7en0NPxtWNlqyS68TsS4EhH0fd-UJ2tAP1GczOUeiFqljzv6lQuK8g_i3QG8RyBQiE-vr2V

Saddle-billed Stork,

AP1GczM65KvS4JXCX-dXDLSS79MVjbfr-Lq_k372

Golden-breasted bunting

AP1GczOfr_E81m99RyA0iaGLEfIK6eT9lR8y4E1s

& what I think is a Sabota Lark?

AP1GczNzCdpObmqaL4rsNuAFwLjQUHNAIHWn6a6Y

Next: The Birds

Atravelynn

Before becoming a manatee were splashing like the waterbuck?  I still remember how refreshing and welcome that  little "swim" was.

AfricIan
21 hours ago, Atravelynn said:

Before becoming a manatee were splashing like the waterbuck?

Definitely not as athletic as the waterbuck but we certainly enjoyed a bit of splashing about until "teacher" told us to get out :D

AfricIan
Posted (edited)

Next morning the “Sili boys” were back where we’d found them the morning before but today they didn’t seem inclined to do much

AP1GczOcu2pPBgRhOn7jTUfuo0FBLpe6eiQArWu_

AP1GczPzDXRiCouPn4bdb5eulC6RqPElVJ7sjRrD

So we left them as we explored a bit more of the “Place-of-Elephants”

AP1GczNW_g6-ypApuAXdmXFCboN8u5alLJx1zkZO

Not quite a "Boswell"

AP1GczPeUR29e6evMOPQpvzwGoqNDG43gyHV8da8

AP1GczMnpTQmLOp0YcwdS8xkCHKEXMXjI4GeEsit
Like Mother, Like Son (or Daughter)

AP1GczOIBNLcxu-UyUH4Y9V3s0oerzhxi_h3uECX

The plan for the afternoon was to walk over the river to a Carmine bee-eater colony but our departure from camp was a little delayed

AP1GczMq9F70dDrwoiWc_eBiTMAg4lkkI-1B9Uyy

AP1GczPa2m0XbStL0tYHva82vca_LZwdIA5VO43v

But after a minor holdup & a couple of diversions to avoid some buffalo we made it to the top of the far bank & settled down to enjoy the show

AP1GczNqnBau8kq2oc0C1xpqchHRrROmlxjDBlpn

AP1GczNm-o_IBVodo3igDhKk0YRUKFNST8YD6E8b

AP1GczNc1zI5w_hvwOS0hj4xCfBBjoQnH0BmG98h

AP1GczNZudUy9YZfpcKgyiAUajW2myW2TS0nGJIT

AP1GczOBYVrf4ucGuJQpAd-b2tMh6xjhKqjcGWHO

AP1GczPounVRPXVpD0m-2xCq9ErNvN2yJ-xazd2K

AP1GczM9HpaI3sm9w9-bDanKu787ncMw528ylyYr

After more minor diversions to avoid the buffalo, we paddled back over the river to camp
AP1GczMbubay2iAkWlnmt4JKcEQQDeJb5dtHGGZ7

As this was our last night, our evening meal was a “traditional” Zimbabwean braai which we had in front of camp on the sands of the river bed.  Our evening was a little curtailed though when the camp manager wandered over to ask us if we knew that one of the two resident male lions was sitting watching us (:blink:).

Next: Last morning miscellany 

Edited by AfricIan