Let's see your Pangolin pics...

Game Warden

still hopeful that I, too, one day will have a photo to post. :wacko:

fictionauthor

@@bettel, we are just impressed that you were able to get this sighting and get some photos! Wonderful to see. This creature is very high up on my wish list. @@wenchy, yes, gorgeous, thank you.

@@marg, I wish you pangolins!

• 4 weeks later...

two pangolin sightings in one week :)

gallery_18242_1317_4717130.jpg

gallery_18242_1317_6511533.jpg

Peter Connan

Pangolin and Aardvark on the same trip! Really wow.

Towlersonsafari

Is your next post going to be the loch ness monster,@@bushmaniac? Again still not jealous much!

@@Towlersonsafari - I'm still looking for that black leopard!

(I can't really upload photos of Nessie on a forum for Africa images :wacko: )

Lovely additions, @@bettel and @@bushmaniac - the color of the sand in the latter photos make me think this was the Kalahari too? Also Tswalu? I got my first pangolin at Tswalu Kalahari in May as well! We had horrible light and terrible pictures, made even worse by the fact that I dropped my glasses in all the excitement & couldn't find them after that in the dark :D

Going out on a limb here and saying that Tswalu is where you have the best chance for pangolin in southern Africa - the lion cubs there are often the ones who find them first (as was the case with us).

PS: Also saw aardvark there!

Edited by Sangeeta

Yes @@Sangeeta, it was at Tswalu. I would agree, if you want to see aardvark and pangolin during the day, then Tswalu in winter is the place to go. :wub:

@bushmaniac

I hope there going to be a full trip report. I am SO looking forward to it. I read your review on Trip Advisor but it is not enough lol

Yes, agree with @@bettel here, @@bushmaniac - pls do post your TR on ST as well. I am equally in love with Tswalu & had the most incredible sightings in a very short span of time myself. Wild dogs treeing a leopard mum and her 2 youngsters in 3 separate trees, lion cubs playing with a baby pangolin who trundled off, miraculously unhurt once the cubs got bored, & even a (fleeting glimpse of) aardvark...

michael-ibk

@@Sangeeta

Less talking, more pictures. :)

And yes, @@bushmaniac , we insist on a report. Just WOW to what you saw!.

SafariChick

@@Sangeeta

Less talking, more pictures. :)

And yes, @@bushmaniac , we insist on a report. Just WOW to what you saw!.

@@Sangeeta OR more talking AND more pictures! :lol:

Thanks to @@Sangeeta and @@bushmaniac, I have decided to visit Tswalu in 2017. I realize that there is no better place to see so many of my dream animals in one place including pangolin bat-eared fox, and even caracal. My only question is, how long should I stay there?

I think 5 days to one week would be about right.

• 6 months later...
Grasshopper_Club

Zambia / Kafue NP / Musakese Camp / July 2015

Nikon D750 / F5.6 / 1/25 / ISO 400 / 34mm

post-50455-0-92990500-1455365289_thumb.jpg

Nikon D750 / F5.6 / 1/30 / ISO 100 / 80mm

post-50455-0-54259400-1455365348_thumb.jpg

After hearing and seeing some rattling tall grass for a while, I detected a Pangolin :D

~ @@Grasshopper_Club

Welcome to Safaritalk!

What a grand entry — pangolin images!

To hear that sort of “rattling tall grass” with no less than a pangolin must have been quite a thrill!

Thank you so much for sharing the photos here.

If it's ever comfortable and convenient, it would be nice to read your self-introduction in the Introductions section.

Tom K.

• 1 month later...

Lumo Conservancy, Kenya February 2008- my only sighting

gallery_5741_1491_317972.jpg

gallery_5741_1491_469444.jpg

We saw an aardwolf on the same game drive :)

Edited by Patty

~ @@Patty

As if a pangolin wasn't enough, an aardwolf, too?

The safari angels were looking after you!

Until I saw your post, I'd never heard of the Lumo Conservancy.

Thank you for mentioning it. It's between Tsavo West and Tsavo East, near Taita Hills?

That's close to Lake Jipe, isn't it? @@Safaridude may have recently visited there.

Great photos, @@Patty! What a sighting!

Tom K.

@@Tom Kellie @@Patty

I have not been to Lumo, though I have driven past there twice a few years ago. I would say it's more than a couple of hours of driving from there to Lake Jipe.

@@Tom Kellie, yes near Taita Hills. I would guess Lumo to Tsavo West Maktau gate is around an hour (we didn't travel directly there). I haven't been to Lake Jipe but would guess that to be another 2-3 hours from Maktau gate. Does that sound about right @@Safaridude?

Edited by Patty

• 2 weeks later...

This one was seen around 20 January in the Xini area of the Moremi Game Reserve in Botswana. One hind-leg seemed to be weak and the animal used it's tail as support when walking. Just had a small camera so no good pics.post-50319-0-20871100-1458833418_thumb.jpgpost-50319-0-74634300-1458833464_thumb.jpg

michael-ibk

Very cool sighting, and welcome to Safaritalk, @@Hemingway !

Peter Connan

Welcome Hemingway!

Great sighting.

Any sighting is a good sighting. So my only sighting of a Pangolin was in the Masai mara. We were driving along the road which comes in from behind Mara Serena lodge. We noticed a vehicle which was parked just off the road, what were they looking at? We could not see anything obvious so drove closer. The closer we got the more confused we were as there was definitely nothing to be seen.It was only when we were within 10 mteters of the vehicle we realised what they were looking at, a Pangolin, asleep on the side of the road.

Taken in low light. As my teacher would say: could do better.

post-50530-0-61859600-1459502426_thumb.jpg

Edited by PHALANX

Game Warden

@@PHALANX great sighting!

So perhaps @@Safaridude it was a pangolin I saw after all in the Masai Mara? ;)