Green Season Safari at Little Kwara

Alex The Lion

Alex The Lion
Russell, I think that the advantage you have from a trip like this, though, is that you have a lot of photographic experience and have an extensive portfolio already. Therefore, you are in a perfect position to get a selection of images which may be smaller in number but will have a quite different feel. In the long run, it can only add to your already wonderful collection.

Thanks Twaffle.

I must admit, there was plenty to see, which perhaps my photos don't really reflect.

We must have seen lions everyday except my last morning (I did not go out due to a massive storm and transfer), though I was concentrating so much on Cheetahs and other things, I never got round to getting decent images.

I have become a lot more selective and tend to spend a whole day with a single animal. I spent a lot of time enjoying and watching, rather than clicking. As this is simply a hobby, I tend not to get to bothered if the light is not perfect or shots not working out. I just enjoy being back in the bush and out of London.

My next trip will be interesting, as it will be with my GF, who is a safari newbie.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Alex The Lion

• cary999

• twaffle

• Jan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest sniktawk

Russell,

Thank goodness your camera seems to work, it seems no problems with AF as reported by the supporters of the dark side.

Looks like everybody has good sightings at Kwara other than me, oh well!

We might go at Christmas?

Cheers

Ken

Alex The Lion
Russell,

Thank goodness your camera seems to work, it seems no problems with AF as reported by the supporters of the dark side.

Looks like everybody has good sightings at Kwara other than me, oh well!

We might go at Christmas?

Cheers

Ken

Ken, I don't think you could go wrong with Kwara in December, unless there is the mother of all floods.

I did have to microadjust my camera, though will be sending it to canon to get it pinpoint for all my lenses.

Overall, yes I missed some shots, but I need to learn the perfect setup for different situations and there was quite a bit of user error.

I think a number of people purchase an expensive camera and expect to take great images......the majority of people complaining seem to be pixel analysts or those who are taking poor images in the first place.

The camera has a few issues that need to be resolved, but which model does not have its only little quirks that you learn and work with?

No idea really but I think that their teeth are slowly worn away and do not literally drop out like a human's milk tooth. Hence you do not see them lying around (except for the tusks of course). As a tooth wears away completely the next one pushes up into place.

Once their sixth set are worn out there is nothing to replace them so if the elephant is lucky enough to live that long it then has the lingering death of starvation.

That is correct. They grind them down.

They wear their tusks down too (to an extent).

Alex The Lion
No idea really but I think that their teeth are slowly worn away and do not literally drop out like a human's milk tooth. Hence you do not see them lying around (except for the tusks of course). As a tooth wears away completely the next one pushes up into place.

Once their sixth set are worn out there is nothing to replace them so if the elephant is lucky enough to live that long it then has the lingering death of starvation.

That is correct. They grind them down.

They wear their tusks down too (to an extent).

At this discussion, I answered in the same way.

Though we then got onto the discussion of what is classified as the tooth. The guides mentioned that dead elephants have a herd piece of tooth remaining once they die, but the softer enamel wears away, and that is what is replaced.

Alex The Lion
Nice report & photos, Russell. Good to meet you at LK. Wish I could have stayed on those cheetah with you but, alas, a plane would be waiting...

Maybe ellie teeth get swallowed and digested when the new ones push up from below...???

Good to meet you too, Rick.

Out of interest, did you get some good shots of the bat eared fox and the cheetah?

I was at a bad angle, would be great if you could post some.

These are tremendous shots. The cheetah family looks unreal there are so many. Green season in Little Kwara is amazing!

richardafrica

Excellent pictures!! Thank you for sharing. I havent been back to Kwando in a couple of years, but I keep thinking about it. Its reports like this that bring back those great Kwando memories...

Maybe 2011 for me.

russell

Posted Today, 01:42 PM

Out of interest, did you get some good shots of the bat eared fox and the cheetah?

Sorry, no... The BEF was well hidden in the bush and my photos of the encounter don't reveal much. I took some video as well, but with a similar result:

It took the little guy several minutes to come down off his adrenalin rush after the cheetah moved off:

post-5124-1267935968_thumb.jpg

Very nice photos and good report, thanks.

About 7 of them would not finish downloading for me, got partial images. Anyone have this problem, anyone suggest what may be my problem. I'm using Firefox v3.6

Little Kwara must be a great camp. Too bad it and most Botswana camps stretch my budget beyond the max even during the off-peak season.

regards - tom

ps - took me five minutes of head scratching and looking to find the way to post/submit this reply. Is it "Add Reply"??? So, to add a reply I click "add reply" then again "Add Reply"? Will find out, here goes -

YES -looks like that worked, and, an edit capability to add this to my posted reply !!!!

Hi Tom,

Welcome to editing heaven, a facility I need more and more as I get older! :rolleyes:

Most of Botswana stretches my budget too but I'd try a mobile camping trip one day if the Government still allows them in the future.

The photos are loading for me, but sometimes they don't and I'm never sure why. I just hit the 'reload' and then it is usually fine.

twaff

Very nice report, and focused on the very impressive sightings as promised. Some wonderful photos in there.

No need to worry, it is not your laptop. I have just entered blank days that I am filling in as I go along. Allows the story to flow uninterupted!

That explains how I missed some of those gems of photos first time around.

Alex The Lion
russell

Posted Today, 01:42 PM

Sorry, no... The BEF was well hidden in the bush and my photos of the encounter don't reveal much. I took some video as well, but with a similar result:

It took the little guy several minutes to come down off his adrenalin rush after the cheetah moved off:

post-5124-1267935968_thumb.jpg

Thanks for sharing that, Rick.

It was a tricky scene to capture.

Alex The Lion
Very nice photos and good report, thanks.

About 7 of them would not finish downloading for me, got partial images. Anyone have this problem, anyone suggest what may be my problem. I'm using Firefox v3.6

Little Kwara must be a great camp. Too bad it and most Botswana camps stretch my budget beyond the max even during the off-peak season.

regards - tom

ps - took me five minutes of head scratching and looking to find the way to post/submit this reply. Is it "Add Reply"??? So, to add a reply I click "add reply" then again "Add Reply"? Will find out, here goes -

YES -looks like that worked, and, an edit capability to add this to my posted reply !!!!

Thanks Cary999,

What is your budget out of interest? There are the five river specials that maybe of interest to you?

Alex The Lion
Hi Tom,

Welcome to editing heaven, a facility I need more and more as I get older! :rolleyes:

Most of Botswana stretches my budget too but I'd try a mobile camping trip one day if the Government still allows them in the future.

The photos are loading for me, but sometimes they don't and I'm never sure why. I just hit the 'reload' and then it is usually fine.

twaff

I think that at the moment, mobile safaris offer one of the best options in Botswana. A number of people agree with me that Savute Marsh will be the place to be over the next couple of years....if the water still flows down the channel. Doing a mobile there is the only option for me.

Have planned to head back later in the year, with another combination of Kwando and Mobiles.

As you will see, my time with ALwyn Myburgh was excellent.

Russell - my budget, sure, I don't mind discussing it nor any of the costs I've had for past safaris. When I make those two or three flights from California to Africa I must stay at least two weeks, prefer three, to feel like it has been worthwhile for me. You and others are so lucky to be able to just drop down from Europe, 10 hours, no time change/jet lag. Anyway, my budget this year would be around $6,000 plus air. And this year I'll' be solo so single supp has to be considered. $6,000 divide by 15 is $400 per night. This I can beat some and with special long stay rates and no single sup can do 15-18 nights in South Africa camps, Timbavati or Sabi Sand reserves, the best in SA. Your/anyone's comments and suggestion welcome.

Also-

Russell – I know the feeling of “do I really need another close up of a lion’s head, or, an elephant’s broadside”. Here’s how I keep my interest lighted for doing these. After our first safari (2005) in order to share photos and video clips with friends and family, I put together a DVD that plays on any TV (also PC/Mac). I now do a DVD for each safari. The DVDs are basically “this was our safari” and I hand/mail them out to anyone who is interested in seeing photos. And remembering the tedious 35mm vacation slide shows I have been obliged to sit through, the DVD is typically short, 20-40 minutes. I try to keep it moving, no endless series of still photos and no long (1 minute is long) video clips. It is primarily a photo album for us to re-play and remember.

Ok, fine, you say, so?? Well here’s the kicker, -every- photo on that years safari DVD was taken on that safari. No photos from previous years. Thus every safari I’m looking (again) for shots of elephants, giraffes, zebras, lions, all of them. And yes even impalas!!! For me its much like doing it for the first time and with the challenge of getting it even better if possible. If not a new great/definitive shot, than a very good one will do nicely for the new DVD. But we know how varied and serendipity wildlife and game drives are so there are always new photos. Also if you can get a bit interested in video, it will add another dimension to your photography. Especially the live sound. I know how you probably feel about video, I was weaned and schooled and first love was 35mm slides. So it was just a little tough to let video in :rolleyes:

regards - tom

Also-

Russell – I know the feeling of “do I really need another close up of a lion’s head, or, an elephant’s broadside”. Here’s how I keep my interest lighted for doing these. After our first safari (2005) in order to share photos and video clips with friends and family, I put together a DVD that plays on any TV (also PC/Mac). I now do a DVD for each safari. The DVDs are basically “this was our safari” and I hand/mail them out to anyone who is interested in seeing photos. And remembering the tedious 35mm vacation slide shows I have been obliged to sit through, the DVD is typically short, 20-40 minutes. I try to keep it moving, no endless series of still photos and no long (1 minute is long) video clips. It is primarily a photo album for us to re-play and remember.

regards - tom

Having seen a couple of Tom's DVDs I can attest to their quality. Although we have different tastes in what should be included, i.e. I've moved right away from putting video into my DVDs and gone back to stills and our music tastes are also very different, the effect of the trip on disk is excellent and is one I use myself. Friends and family really enjoy the pre-packaged version with a few photos instead of the old slide shows.

Thanks twaffle. With photos on a DVD the lucky recipient can watch it (or not, their choice :D ) at their leisure most anywhere. And if at the Christmas family gathering cousin Susan asks about your safari and seems very interested you give her a copy of the DVD to take home. Twaffle has moved away from video clips but I really like action with real life sound. Easy to do today, editing is the hardest part. I use some music on still slides but that is tricky, music is so personal (like twaffle said), so I use more often the natural ambient sounds I've recorded at camps..

regards - tom

Canadian Robin

Your photos are amazing. I love the woodland kingfisher and the porcupines. The hyena at sunrise is another favourite as is the lion in the grass peeking at you. ...And those cheetahs - sigh! I must get back to Botswana. Thank you for sharing. Robin

Alex The Lion
Russell - my budget, sure, I don't mind discussing it nor any of the costs I've had for past safaris. When I make those two or three flights from California to Africa I must stay at least two weeks, prefer three, to feel like it has been worthwhile for me. You and others are so lucky to be able to just drop down from Europe, 10 hours, no time change/jet lag. Anyway, my budget this year would be around $6,000 plus air. And this year I'll' be solo so single supp has to be considered. $6,000 divide by 15 is $400 per night. This I can beat some and with special long stay rates and no single sup can do 15-18 nights in South Africa camps, Timbavati or Sabi Sand reserves, the best in SA. Your/anyone's comments and suggestion welcome.

Also-

Ok, fine, you say, so?? Well here’s the kicker, -every- photo on that years safari DVD was taken on that safari. No photos from previous years. Thus every safari I’m looking (again) for shots of elephants, giraffes, zebras, lions, all of them. And yes even impalas!!! For me its much like doing it for the first time and with the challenge of getting it even better if possible. If not a new great/definitive shot, than a very good one will do nicely for the new DVD. But we know how varied and serendipity wildlife and game drives are so there are always new photos. Also if you can get a bit interested in video, it will add another dimension to your photography. Especially the live sound. I know how you probably feel about video, I was weaned and schooled and first love was 35mm slides. So it was just a little tough to let video in :D

regards - tom

Not ignoring you, Tom, will respond when I am little less tied up towards the end of the week.

thanks russell.

A photo type question please. And for anyone else also. Last safari I tried something different for "white balance" (Nikon) and did not like it. Anyway, some of your cheetah photos obviously taken near sunset (sunrise?), because, of very "warm" color. Fine. How do you determine/set how warm it should be? White balance (WB)? Camera setting? Are you post processing from RAW? (I don't, maybe I should). If RAW, then do you set/adjust WB at that point? If you adjust, then how do you know how "warm" to make it? Was easier using Kodachrome :D

regards - tom

Hi Russell,

Wow, I knew this would be good, but still I must say that the quality of your gameviewing is outstanding. And your photos aswell, such a pleasure to look at those cheetah-pictures.

How long will the cheetah-family stay together, they start to look quite big to me? And the seven lion brothers, have they split up now, or was it just temporary?

Thanks for sharing, really made this day a great one!

/Tom

thanks russell.

A photo type question please. And for anyone else also. Last safari I tried something different for "white balance" (Nikon) and did not like it. Anyway, some of your cheetah photos obviously taken near sunset (sunrise?), because, of very "warm" color. Fine. How do you determine/set how warm it should be? White balance (WB)? Camera setting? Are you post processing from RAW? (I don't, maybe I should). If RAW, then do you set/adjust WB at that point? If you adjust, then how do you know how "warm" to make it? Was easier using Kodachrome :)

regards - tom

Tom, not sure about the others (pretty confident quite a few here do as I do) but I only shoot in raw so adjust my white balance when I process the raw file. I would imagine Russell does as well because he is pretty serious about his photography.

thanks twaffle. Do you adjust by what you see on your monitor, by how you remember the WB/color of the scene, by what pleases you??? Or does RAW have a color temperature reference that you set for time of day, e.g. if noon then 6500K? Or, maybe you have a color reference chart like if using the UniWB technique?? Or???

regards - tom