Kafue NP Zambia

bushwalker

Trials and tribulations aside (what would an adventure be without them), I'm glad that you had a great holiday.

:(

Thanks to GW (or Twaffle?) for merging the threads into one.

Sounds like a fun adventure, albeit missing one camp because of tire issues.

Game Warden did the tidy up, I haven't had a chance to read them yet. Getting there, just wish there were more hours in the day. :angry:

More hours in the day found here. Thanks, bushwalker - a really good read and nicely laid out. I knew next to nothing about any of these places, so I also found it very informative.

Good read of a fantastic holiday. I also met Johannes, the 'elephant man' recently. Interesting guy, the project he's been running in Damaraland is EHRA, which can be found at: EHRA

Hi,

thanks everybody it makes it worth the effort .

Kafue is a stunning park and we will go back, before the rains next time.( I hope)

Egilio, thanks for the link, we had been looking for it, Yep very interesting guy, I hope he has some input at McBride’s,

Thanks again for reading

Cheers

Bushwalker AKA Tracy

wildernessman

bushwalker , thank you for a most readable report .

Would you have any idea if Chris Mc Bride is the author of the book "White Lions of Timbavati" ?

I've never met Chris McBride, but we went to the same university. What does that have to do with anything? Not much :)

Great stuff, thanks.

We're thinking of taking the landy up to Kafue next year.

Very interesting report - not sure if I'd have the courage to brave the flat tire-tse-tse combo like the 2 of you, but it's great to read from people who have really gone off the beaten track & followed a dream.

Great stuff.

Part 1--The tyre troubles and rain & lightning storms had to disappear from your minds when you saw the juvenile Pel's Fishing Owl. The photo is huge, making it seem all the more lifelike. What a find! Wow!

very entertaining reading. A fun trip even with the tyre troubles.

I am still reading through the report. Looks like you had a good time.

On the puncture subject, we always carry a battery operated pump and some tyre plugs. For de-beading you should watch this video.

Hi, thank you all for reading

Tonypark go go go…. it is a must see place, make sure you spend some time at KaingU.

Atravelyyn, the Pels was an all time high for me, we took over 100 pics ( if your into birds, I also saw a Narina Trongo at KaingU…to quick for a pic)

Dik Dik, the 4x4 did have a compressor (the switch was broken, we fixed it ourselves)

Unfortunately the tyres had been repaired tooo many times before

The Utube clip is awesome (not to sure if I would have the bottle to light that gas though)

We learnt a very valuable lesson on this trip

Always always go with your gut instinct and do not except the vehicle if your not happy!!!

Never mind we had a fantastic trip met some great people. And now we have to go back to see the Busanga Plains!

Cheers bushwalker :)

Flat tyres are part of the adventure. I remember in Namibia I drove a few hundred kms without a spare. Self drive - you have to be prepared for whatever life throws at you. Sometimes its a bit of discomfort, but sometimes it can be life-threatening. Without all the risks, it wouldn't be an adventure.

the Pels was an all time high for me, we took over 100 pics ( if your into birds, I also saw a Narina Trongo at KaingU…to quick for a pic)

The Pels is always worth a photo, or a hundred! I've only seen a Narina Trogon once, in South Africa near the

Mozambique border. Alas, I didn't manage a photo, either, they're very shy.

I wish I was an intrepid 4x4 driver, or better still married to one! My son has just bought one, but in England, not

Africa!

Jan

......your so right dikdik, I could never go back to a luxury safari (well maybe just a few nights)…its all about the “adventure”, being the only people for miles and miles, not rushing, taking time to stop, look and listen for as long as you want….. sitting by the fire you made, eating the supper you cooked, in the middle of nowhere….not even Barclay card can give you that.

Its worth the risk :)

Jan.

The birds in Zambia were awesome….

Your son will need his 4x4 at the moment here in the UK, driving in snow is a bit like driving in cotton soil or very deep sand.. if he can do that, he can take you on a self drive Africa trip

My better half decided on the “if you can’t beat them join them route”. He loves it as much as I do now…

Bushwalker

Part 2

The plot thickens on both water and land with some near misses. I would have been terrified as the elephant charged and you waited for the vehicle to respond. How uncomfortable that the river guide seemed oblivious to the potential threats all around you.

The characters at McBrides from "Madame" to the lost French boys, Blonde Swede, German threesome, and was it a Namibian businessman? could form the basis of mystery novel. Tony Parks take note!

The campfire and the sunset shot belongs on the McBride website. Maybe the resident hippo too.

An upcoming Part 3 means you did not have to kiss your ass(es) goodbye. That's good.

Part 3

Holding the warm croc egg is really unique. Some gorgeous shots from the water. You even got a roan! This was quite the adventure and it's wonderful it turned out to be the best adventure ever!