Show us your Elephant Pictures

twaffle

A camp ellie browsing the tree above my tent.

20101205-IMG_6080.jpg

Nice one!

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Here is few from my side to add to the many amazing shots presented here !!

IMG6239bnw-copy-M.jpg

IMG7834-M.jpg

IMG7898-M.jpg

These are really, really stunning pictures. The only contribution I can make at the moment are two paintings that I have done. Until I finish sorting through all my Dad's Amboselli slides of Ellies.

gallery_14592_510_60519.jpg

Beautiful additions Sharon, especially the elephant by the dunes. Stunning. What medium do you use and what is the final size of these two?

Sorry to nag, but please remember to reduce pic sizes before uploading, ideally to around 1000 px max width if possible... thanks, Matt

Sorry GW ... I forgot. But elephants should always be posted BIG ;)

I will remember next time :D

Sorry, Matt... I think I made the same mistake with mine... TOOOO BIG!

Beautiful additions Sharon, especially the elephant by the dunes. Stunning. What medium do you use and what is the final size of these two?

Twaffle, thank you for your comments... Solitude is 1500mm x 1000mm - Greeting Eye is sold but the original was about 800 x 600 - my ex has a HUGE print of this one in his large thatched house. Prints of any size are available, too. I use acrylics. :-)

Hey Sharon, yes, please do resize down to 1000 pix max width or height, and reload. (But leave those archive shots from Toni's Island as they are, that's fine.) Let me know when done, and I can edit them into your post above and delete the giant images. But thankyou though for sharing. Feel free to tell us more about your art in a seperate topic, perhaps in the introductions subforum. Matt.

• 2 weeks later...
africapurohit

And before anyone thinks about it, we want no photos of beer bottles, cans or glasses :)

My wife and I were privileged to see this magnificent old chap in Kruger National Park, in 2002. He was referred to as a "tusker" by the guide - one of only 7 remaining in South Africa at that time. When he walked with his head down, he was actually excavating the ground in front of him!! The photos are scans from an old 'point and shoot' film camera and don't really do him justice. He was a huge bull but you could see he was struggling with the weight of his tusks.

Sadly, I don't think I'll see another specimen like him during my lifetime :(

gallery_14527_517_5128.jpg

gallery_14527_517_38750.jpg

gallery_14527_517_68891.jpg

I wonder, was he one of the magnificent 7 - www.sanparks.org/parks/kruger/elephants/tuskers/magnificent7.php.

But then looking at the dates, no I don't think so. But what a grand old chap? I wonder what the weight in kilos of those tusks would have been. Looks like the area is burnt mopane forest, can you recall in which area of Kruger this was?

africapurohit

I'm sure it was the Skukuza area. The guide said the elephant was called "Duke" and was known to travel throughout the whole of Kruger. The combined weight of the tusks were estimated to be between 110-120kg.

To be classed as a true "Tusker", I think the combined tusk weight had to be over 100kg.

africapurohit

I read somewhere that Ahmed had a combined tusk weight of around 135kg. I think he may hold the record for the longest tusks but not the heaviest. The British Natural History museum has a pair of tusks weighing over 200kg from an elephant shot in the late Nineteenth Century.

Ahmed is still in the museum. He is a remarkably small elephant which made is tusks look much larger to the person seeing him alive in the wild.

Here are some photos my sister and I took in January when we were at the museum.

gallery_5545_368_56246.jpg

gallery_5545_368_145904.jpg

gallery_5545_368_146579.jpg

gallery_5545_368_173142.jpg

Wow, fantastic photos.

I must remember this thread, as we are off to Tembe; home to the biggest living tusker. I hope to bring a photo back to share.

africapurohit

Twaffle, thanks for the Ahmed photos and info, I'll have to visit the museum when I'm next in Nairobi.

Good luck dikdik, we need more photos for this thread.

Edited by africapurohit

Your photos look far more spectacular than the photos on this link. What is interesting is that the largest tuskers have traditionally bee small bodied elephants.

See here for the Tembe tusker

Dikdik, very hard to get any concept of the size of those tusks. The report says 2.5 m long, wish they had put a matchstick next to the elephant so we could get a sense of scale! :lol:

The link also says the largest tusker in Southern Africa, I wonder what is left in some East African countries which could compare, not very much I think, but would be very interested to know.

africapurohit

Quite a few years ago when I was visiting the Mount Kenya area, I met a biologist who had an interest in tuskers. He said most East African tuskers were either poached or died of old age but there were stories of some remaining hidden deep in Selous and Ruaha. He said the Marsabit tusker population was famous for long tusks but not heavy tusks, as their tusks had a lower density compared with Southern African tuskers. He said Meru also had a good tusker population, once. Hopefully, the gene pool is still alive in areas regarded as elephant strongholds such as large parts of Botswana and the Hwange population, and we may see some again.

Edited by africapurohit

africapurohit

What a sad coincidence, news has just broken that Duke has died. Apparently, he had lost both his tusks by 2010, so actual weight and length measurements were never recorded. Hopefully, he's passed on his genes to a few younger males.

http://www.timeslive.co.za/local/2011/10/07/kruger-s-oldest-elephant-dies

Edited by africapurohit

• 2 months later...

Wild dogger, wonder if that was the same elephant as in Egilio's post #27 above?