Let's see your dung beetles, African insects and arachnids...

Game Warden

And I have no idea what this is, but a friend of mine said "it looks like it's from Jamaica" LOL!! Naw, it's just from Ghana :P

gallery_17433_1279_6314630.jpg

Tom Kellie

Here's a Papilio dardanus or Mocker Swallowtail butterfly. Thanks @@Tom K for the ID!

(personally, I think that butterflies, as well as dragonflies, deserve their own thread :P :P )

~ @@Abena

That's such a lovely photograph.

I agree with you, dragonflies deserve their own forum, as do butterflies.

It's been such a pleasure to work with you on species identification.

Tom K.

Thanks so much, @@Tom K - your encouragement makes me trust my photography enough to post pics!

Tom Kellie

And I have no idea what this is, but a friend of mine said "it looks like it's from Jamaica" LOL!! Naw, it's just from Ghana :P

gallery_17433_1279_6314630.jpg

~ @@Abena

It's Euchromia formosa, Splendrous Hornet (moth).

Thank you for the beautiful image!

As usual, you spoil us with Ghana's lovely wildlife.

Tom K.

Tom Kellie

Thanks so much, @@Tom K - your encouragement makes me trust my photography enough to post pics!

~ @@Abena

As consistently pleasing as your Ghana wildlife images have been, you have ample reason to be confident.

We greatly appreciate your ongoing image selections from West Africa.

Tom K.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

post-49296-0-53158800-1447278331_thumb.jpg

Grasshopper's Perspective

Photographed at 11:10 am on 29 July, 2015 directly above the Emakoko safari lodge, Nairobi, Kenya, using an EOS 1D X camera and an EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II super-telephoto lens.

ISO 200, 1/3200 sec., f/2.8, 400mm focal length, handheld Manual exposure.

*****************************************************************************************************

This image was made during a nature walk in the nearby environs of the Emakoko, beside Nairobi National Park, led by guide @@Peter Muigai. It required repositioning at a distance to focus the 400mm lens.

The bright green grasshopper stood out from the rocky soil surface. How did such an incongruous insect end up in such a barren patch, where it was vulnerable to any predator with color vision?

• 4 months later...

There is life everywhere in Africa. Be careful not to tread on it.

post-50530-0-40636600-1460289719_thumb.jpg

post-50530-0-70260700-1460289755_thumb.jpg

post-50530-0-67118900-1460289795_thumb.jpg

post-50530-0-51867400-1460289961_thumb.jpg

post-50530-0-75545100-1460290404_thumb.jpg

Golden Orb spider.

Taken on my first trip to Kenya more years ago than I care to remember,

and cannot remember photographic details.

post-50530-0-73935200-1460365944_thumb.jpg

Game Warden

@@PHALANX I've merged your topic with a previous one. Matt

armchair bushman

attachicon.gifGrasshopper's Perspective.JPG

Grasshopper's Perspective

The bright green grasshopper stood out from the rocky soil surface. How did such an incongruous insect end up in such a barren patch, where it was vulnerable to any predator with color vision?

@@Tom Kellie

I believe your grasshopper is one of the several species of "Foam Grasshoppers" from the Family Pyrgomorphidae. It is most likely a Phymateus sp. "Milkweed Locust". The reason it has no fear of predators out in the open is that it is highly toxic because of its diet - Milkweed (Asclepias fruticosa), and poisonous Solanum spp. They produce a foul smelling foam as a defence as well as showing off aposematic colouration when in flight.

@@Tom Kellie

I believe your grasshopper is one of the several species of "Foam Grasshoppers" from the Family Pyrgomorphidae. It is most likely a Phymateus sp. "Milkweed Locust". The reason it has no fear of predators out in the open is that it is highly toxic because of its diet - Milkweed (Asclepias fruticosa), and poisonous Solanum spp. They produce a foul smelling foam as a defence as well as showing off aposematic colouration when in flight.

~ @@armchair bushman

Thank you for the clarification and additional information.

It was so brightly green that it stood out in an otherwise monotonous landscape.

Definitely a highlight of the walk at the Emakoko conducted by @@Peter Muigai. and his friend, Evans.

Tom K.

In Selinda, last month.

post-48450-0-81009300-1461136574_thumb.jpg

Golden silk orb-weaver.

post-48450-0-57451300-1461136591_thumb.jpg

In Hwange, last month!

Yellow Pansy.

post-48450-0-97341800-1461136854_thumb.jpg

Ruaha, in 2014.

Spiny flower praying mantis

post-48450-0-95435600-1461137525_thumb.jpg

Edited by Game Warden

Game Warden

@@ice You just need to put the Youtube link in, not the embed code...

@@Game Warden

so I noticed, even before you mentioned it ;-)

however, I would still like to find out how to embed the video so that you do see its preview picture and not simply the link

Edited by ice

it has already been asked and answered there, I just didn't find it at first

post-43899-0-47116100-1461154953_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

This is a species of hummingbird moth from Ghana - @@godfried and I call it "the flying lobster" :D

gallery_17433_1279_4477410.jpg

And this one is a Splendrous Hornet (actually two, mating and eating at the same time?) I love the name, how poetic :-)

gallery_17433_1279_416888.jpg