A picture a day.

Game Warden

Landscapes are not my strong suit. A pano instead. Big ellie aggregations are amazing to watch.

Selinda Spillway. 2005

post-5120-1218025928_thumb.jpg

Guest John Milbank

Geoff, those days with the elephants along the spillway in '05 were truly memorable...as was that occasion with Leon in '98 when we found ourselves in the midst of some 300 (Leon's estimate) in Zambezi NP.

Geoff, those days with the elephants along the spillway in '05 were truly memorable...as was that occasion with Leon in '98 when we found ourselves in the midst of some 300 (Leon's estimate) in Zambezi NP.

Yes. Being in amongst them was fantastic. I remember the youngsters coming up to the vehicle. As well as the Zambesi for a backdrop.

Guest John Milbank

I hope Game Warden will forgive me for exceeding the limit of one image post a week in this thread. I just felt too good about this memory ;)

I remember the youngsters coming up to the vehicle.

Yes. I remember somebody saying 'get it' or something similar when this young one raised its trunk towards us to sniff the air out of curiosity:

Hi406.jpg

Alex The Lion

I am sure this is your second photo of the week, John!

Week 4, up to and including 17th August.

Thanks for the reminder Sniktawk.

A very old image scanned from slide. Not much technical merit in this one. Taken at about 1:30 PM so the light is terrible.

I wish the alpha female had turned her head.

post-5120-1218493477_thumb.jpg

Selinda concession near Twin Pans (late July 1998)

Canon 500N, 100-300 zoom, Sensia 100.

Guest John Milbank
Taken at about 1:30 PM so the light is terrible.

One of those images to cherish, though. I remember you sending me this. It was one of the things which got me interested in Selinda-- well, your account of the whole stay there-- so we went a year or so later.

Alex The Lion

90554512.jpg

Airstrip 2 Pan, Makalolo Concession

Camera: 5D

Lens: 500 F4 + 1.4x Converter

Aperture: F5.6

Shutter Speed: 1/250 sec

Exposure Compensation: -1 stop

madaboutcheetah

That's a superb one, Russell!!!

You need to copyright that one Russell!

Alex The Lion
That's a superb one, Russell!!!

Thanks, Hari.....where is your contribution?

You need to copyright that one Russell!

It automatically is........

Classic, Russell!

Aperture f5.6?

Cheers, John. I think I was getting a little carried away, wishing for that super lens, indeed, F5.6

excellent Nyama. Give some details.

Guest John Milbank

One of those times when you wish you had a bigger lens. This is a fairly heavy crop from a colour negative, taken at Masumu Pan, Hwange NP in 1998 with a Tokina 80-200/2.8. Geoff will remember the occasion...we were with Leon Varley...and I was particularly taken by the baby elephant which had not learned yet to use its trunk properly.

Masumuellies808.jpg

Guest John Milbank
...there you might have also been able to get out of the vehicle to get a lower shot.

We were out of the vehicle, sitting in a hide. You do not find many hides in perfect or near-perfect positions. Sometimes that's because it's physically not possible or too costly to build them in the 'right' place; more often, it's because the builders are not photographers (or think they are) and have little idea. Have you noticed it's often the same with scenic lookouts wherever you go?...if you have the time, courage or athleticism, you can always find a place to get a better shot. ;)

Guest sniktawk

I agree the vast majority of hides are not very well positioned, in particular for photographers.

The only good hides I have used were at "The Hide", and are underground. I hope they get to build the planned underground hide at Kennedy 1. That could be amazing for Elephant!

Oh that's just perfect for a caption competition...

Oh that's just perfect for a caption competition...

Damn! Snake crossing? You can't beat a Zebra!

Now!

Look Left!

Look Right!