A picture a day.

Game Warden

when it was still cheapish November 2006

Perhaps they have more stuffed animals now, hence the reason prices have gone up B)

• 2 weeks later...

What a great shot! Classic!!

I would go for 'snake crossing'. ;-)

gallery_78_24_192642.jpg

Ok, here's one of mine

Image was taken at Lake Turkana and she is one of ten Turkana women I photographed. Of course she is the one that gave me a kiss and that in itself is a story worth telling but will leave it for another time.

Equipment used:

Nikon D200

Nikon 28-70mm f2.8

Exposure: 0.004 sec (1/250)

Aperture: f/10

Focal Length: 50 mm

ISO Speed: 800

Exposure program: manual

I chose the high iso mainly because we were under a tree and having the bright sun in the backround made it dificult to get a good exposure.

"note the ring from a drink can on the earring"

Guest John Milbank
"note the ring from a drink can on the earring"

A face full of character, Ross. Well captured.

There's no longer anything vaguely surprising about the impact of Western 'culture' on traditional customs. 40 years ago, I photographed tribesmen in the New Guinea highlands whose ceremonial decoration consisted mostly of empty steel beer cans because of the bright colours and the clanking noise they provided in dance. No doubt the use of beer cans was the result of proximity to Australia :o *

Unfortunately, the great majority of my slides from that era has succumbed to tropical mould.

*No, nyama, no Mosi...probably all VB and Fosters.

Hwange National Park, April 2008.

1/320s f/4.0 at 500.0mm iso250

90548045.jpg

lechwe%20fighting.jpg

my best attempt at red lechwe so far, at Kwara with Mothusi as guide, 100-400 Canon lens underutilised by lousy photographer....

madaboutcheetah

Hunting Dog,

The letchwe pic is from recent visit? If so, good to note that Mothusi is there. He's awesome isn't he?

Yep, its from recent visit, unfortunately Mothusi isn't there full time any more, but he is free-lancing for them occasionally, so we were really lucky to get him this time. He's a great guide and having someone that is a photographer as well is a real help (though that might not be apparent from pics.. - my fault entirely... )

madaboutcheetah

Thanks for the info. Agree - he is superb. I think the Wild dog portrait on the Kwando website/brochure is taken by him.

Dont be so hard on yourself Hunting Dog. I think the photo is great. Here is one with a little less action.

gallery_4095_96_12624.jpg

I know that there are many things a photographer is looking for. I like something with a bit of humor or character, or that tells a story. I am probably not so apt to get the composition and settings and lighting right on the camera.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest John Milbank

I love photographing animals in just about any light, and won't turn down a shot just because the light is lousy. But it's certainly something special when you see black and white in gold. SLNP, 2008.

ZebraP.jpg

Now that made me laugh John, great shot. Snik, Ill have to come over next time in October. What lens did you have on?

Guest John Milbank
John,

Very nice, but you must remember I think it was you who told me that some people are "sensitive" when it comes to pictures containing droppings!

It might have been me. I remember when I posted a nice photo of lions in a nature photography forum a few years back, somebody commented that it was a pity the ground was littered by balls of elephant dung. That's the kind of person who likes to put wildlife in a studio to make a nature image. There are still a lot of them around nature photography forums.

I just found this and I've been admiring the posted photos.

It's funny you should mention that some people are offended by visible dung in photos. I'm a vet tech and I examine dog and cat stool every day. So on my last trip this past summer to Mashatu, Timbavati and Sabi Sands areas I began photographing all the different dung we came across.

I even made a collage poster titled "The Shit of Mashatu and The Turds of the Timbavati"

I'm sure the other people in our vehicle will remember us as the crazy ladies taking pictures of animal poop!

Guest John Milbank
I'm sure the other people in our vehicle will remember us as the crazy ladies taking pictures of animal poop!

I admire you. You might have been the only people in your vehicle paying serious attention to an important aspect of nature... the world goes around on poop of all kinds B)

This week our cat suffered some kind of trauma and stopped eating for three days, and seemed to have lost interest in living. He certainly didn't deposit anything of consequence in his litter tray. So we took him to the vet yesterday. The vet was just as mystified as us, but he gave the cat a couple of precautionary shots of something, and by evening the puss was eating (and producing) again. We are delighted by the action at both extremities.

I'm glad to hear your cat is feeling better. There are days at work where we laugh about how the "little" things can make us so happy!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest sniktawk

Taken in the garden of La Belle Alliance, Swellendam, whilst eating lunch yesterday, lazy photography!gallery_5074_92_189805.jpg

A Brown Hooded Kingfisher