Show us your snakes and crocs etc...

Paul T

I can't see a thread for these creatures so I'll get the ball rolling.

Love them or hate them (well I know some people who do) but you have to respect them .....

Mara River Oct 2007

Croc10a.jpg

Croc1a.jpg

Croc12a.jpg

South Luangwa NP Nov 2010

Croc6.jpg

Croc5_filtered.jpg

Chobe NP Jun 2011

Bot_Croc2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
africapurohit

I love them (but not as much as snakes). You have some fantastic shots of an animal that's not always the easiest to capture in a photograph.

• 8 months later...
Game Warden

So who has any great snake pics?

I will post some snakes but sticking with crocs there are actually five species of crocodile in Africa so here are some photos of one of the others.

The slender-snouted crocodile was recently split into two species the West African Slender snouted (Mecistops cataphractus) and the Central African Slender-snouted (M. leptorhynchus) they are much smaller than the Nile Croc, and the West African Croc, their slender snout gives it an appearance similar to that of the Indian gharial and is an adaption to eating fish. One of the best places to see the Central African species is in Loango NP in Gabon where the following photos were taken. 

2323914855_56ea512880_o.jpg 

Central African slender-snouted crocodile, Mpivie River near Loango National Park in Gabon

46513255591_07526f2668_o.jpg

2325452796_25402d9e63_o.jpg 

Rembo Ngowe River Loango NP

Along narrow forest rivers like this there are no sandbanks, so the crocs climb up into leaning or fallen trees to bask in the sun, Nile crocs are obviously two big to do this, so they’re restricted to the bigger rivers and coastal lagoons where they can haul out to bask. The slender-snouted Crocs undoubtedly benefit both from the lack of competition with and of course predation by the much larger Nile Crocs.

Edited by inyathi

Like the slender-snouted crocodiles in my last post African rock pythons Python sebae also climb up into trees to bask in the sun.

2323914851_0ceb61ded9_o.jpg 

While this one was in the rainforest rock pythons are found across Sub-Saharan Africa in a whole range of different habitats most often near water, in savannah habitats trees and bushes around waterholes are a good place to look for them and of course beside rivers and lakes. Basking on top of bushes or up in trees keeps them out of the way of other predators until they’ve warmed up and the water obviously attracts plenty of potential prey.

Here’s one in Tarangire

Rock Python Tarangire

Unless you’re a pretty big python the ground is not a particularly safe place to be as this video I found from Londolozi shows

Female leopard hunts massive rock python

While I’ve never seen a leopard taking on a python I have once seen a civet attacking one during a night drive in Lower Zambezi NP in Zambia but sadly I didn’t get any photos.

Unlike I imagine a few people here, I don’t have problem with snakes and I am always happy if I’m lucky enough to see one. If you’re on a walk say and you come across a snake normally you’ve nothing to fear, if you can see the snake then as long as you give it space, you should be quite safe, even if it’s a puff adder or some other highly venomous species. It’s the one you don’t see, that you don’t even know is there that poses the greatest danger.

Can you spot the snake in this photo?

2329021692_54f584462b_o.jpg

Tread carefully, in Mikongo Forest in Lope National Park in Gabon

Edited by inyathi

[media=]

[/media]

I thought I'd embedded this video but for some reason it didn't work so here it is again

Edited by inyathi

That last photo I posted was taken in the Mikongo Forest in Lope NP in Gabon, it’s very difficult to see even in the full sized version of that photo, but there is a rhinoceros viper (Bitis nasicornis) lying right next to the trail, near the bottom left of the picture. The snake was completely motionless doubtless waiting for a rodent or some other small mammal to come along, had one of the guides not spotted it, we could have easily carried on walking, completely oblivious to the danger.

2329021512_552c132bb2_o.jpg

Rhinoceros viper in Mikongo Forest in Lope National Park in Gabon

46539299681_34e009b0da_o.jpg 

46766091951_42d922a2f2_o.jpg 

46560072042_511a1e0e80_o.jpg 

The guides were a little unhappy with me taking these photos this is after all an extremely venomous species but I had no intention of getting within striking distance and felt quite safe, as a rule vipers like this are pretty docile and quite approachable they will only bite if you really antagonise them. The snake’s first defence is to stay motionless and try to remain invisible but this does make them vulnerable to being stepped on by accident, obviously it doesn't make sense to just bite anything that gets too close so usually they issue a warning hiss and if that fails to deter then they may bite though not always. Had we not spotted it, it’s quite possible that we would have just walked past none the wiser, however once we knew it was there we backed up and took a different trail.

Edited by inyathi

• 1 month later...
marcianluanda

Black Mamba in Lake Manyara 2010- we waited to pass until he was well off the road.

gallery_17494_668_84533.jpg

• 2 months later...

Let's have some more snake pics please. And crocs. And reptiles...

Black Mamba in Lake Manyara 2010- we waited to pass until he was well off the road.

Yikes! :huh:

I came across one while riding my bicycle down a dirt track to a friend's neighbouring farm once. I rode straight back home - that's how wide a berth I gave that snake! :unsure:

• 7 months later...
bushmaniac

Stripe-bellied sandsnake, at Sabi Sabi, South Africa.

gallery_18242_832_118226.jpg

• 4 months later...

We need more crocs, snakes and other reptilian images to pad out this topic. What have you got?

Green Pit Viper from Sinharaja Forest Reserve in Sri Lanka 2010 taken with Panasonic DMC-FZ35

125578611.jpg

That´s an old one back from 2007 in Lebala.

Spencer located the Python and jumped out of the car to photograph and I followed after I asked for permission.

Then I lay flat on the ground to take a few snaps. The snake came very close. As the AF didn´t work any more, I realized, it was time to get up and move away from the snake.
2077648829_9d8618920f_o.jpg

Edited by Wild Dogger

@@Wild Dogger very nice. Can I use this one and a couple of your other images in the new banner? Thanks, Matt

I have photos of some monster crocs from Katavi - quite a few that were 4m to 5m+. Much bigger than those wildebeest and zebra munching guys in the Mara river! Photos coming soon.......

Beautiful photo @@Wild Dogger!

Edited by africapurohit

South Luangwa NP - Nov 2012

Striped grass snake

SnakeamprRat1.jpg

SnakeamprRat2.jpg

SnakeamprRat3.jpg

SnakeamprRat4.jpg

SnakeamprRat5.jpg

SnakeamprRat6.jpg

I never saw a Python that huge before. It might be about 5 m long, but it´s hard to estimate. The head is somewhere in the branches.
Funny enough, we drove past this place and didn´t see anything. The road we wanted to use was blocked, so we turned around. Just 5 minutes after our first passing we saw this massive snake.
It´s not actually a good photo but an impressive documentation of the size and camouflage of this reptile.
Taken somewhere on the road from Satara to Olifants, Kruger National Park, South Africa, in November 20094679437342_48a8c9424d_b.jpg

africapurohit

Great sighting @@Wild Dogger! It's next to a very homely underground burrow system, so it's likely that it was underground and came out during those 5 minutes you were away.

• 2 weeks later...

Another python, South Luangwa NP, November 2012

Python2.jpg

Python1.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
BertinHouston

Taken by Kathy Duplessis on our recent trip to Katavi NP in western Tanzania. This giant crocodile was trying to devour a large crocodile, shaking it like a wet rag. Nikon D300 with a 70-200 f2.8 VR. We were about 8 to 10 meters from the edge of what remained of the river.

post-47482-0-27167400-1386953924_thumb.jpg