Green Season in Botswana - CATS, CATS & Wild Dogs

graceland

And So it Begins...

Again.

gallery_5364_775_248075.jpg

UH oh, what happened? only pic appeared?? Twaffle, I did finally get it to my gallery through your instructions (tx) but GW should delete this as my report did not come along....

OH well trying....

It was green and there were cats

Will try again,

And Again and Again

Edited by graceland

Brian's Art for Animals

nice start though..beautiful cheetah pic.

nice start though..beautiful cheetah pic.

Hi Brian, Thanks so much! I do love a cheetah! I posted that esp. to start off, my (never) ending TR esp. for MAC as his love of cheetahs is shared by me.

I hope I can give everyone a good laugh with this as it took me an hr to figure out how to depress a photo to fit my avatar. :rolleyes: And to think I took over a 1,000 pics....life is good; I got to go.

It may be a while before I figure the rest out; so have a great Sunday!

TR: it was green, mostly sunny, lots of cats and wild dogs. Even a wild agent from Capetown who offered me a job.

Thanks for reading.

G.

LOL at it was green, mostly sunny, lots of cats and wild dogs. The End. Ha ha. I think I know you a little by now and you will have a lot more to say than that!

Very interested to hear about the job you were offered? That's what I'm trying to figure out is how can I get a job in Africa! Though my husband and kids might miss me a little I suppose ... Looking forward to the rest! Great cheetah shot!

Aaaaaaaahahaha

"it was green and there were cats"

I can't stop laughing. Best report ever. Done.

Look forward to more :)

I am a woman of few words B)

....and the Wild Doggallery_5364_754_31618.jpg

and a frontal view:gallery_5364_754_29156.jpg MI

I am reloading all the pics that were lost last week; maybe slow, maybe a different image than the original, but I am trying..as I hate to fail...

and accomplished this previously, courtesy of GW and Twaffle so am determined to finish. Be patient...I'd rather be planning another Safari!

Edited by graceland

Jobs in Africa? Are you not already Safaritalk Roving Reporters? What more in life do you want? Except maybe to be paid. If this TR is uploaded a pic and a sentence a day, it will keep us all coming back for more :)

Hi Matt, I just asked you a question on your sig.".How to post images in the text"

So, perhaps you wont be forced to see a pic a day -

and I can get on with sending my resume' to Capetown!

details will be imbedded in my forthcoming TR...

Tx

The lion images somehow got a bad "link" and in the process of editing and trying to replace-

until i can find them, or send more to my gallery, I am taking advantage of my edit button -

here is a Kwando Vechicle at the same lion gathering...

I really was there :huh:

gallery_5364_754_5422.jpg

As we set off with our guide, Joseph and two seat mates from Oz (Hi Al!) we immediately spot a Male Lion romancing a Female. The female's two brothers were lurking hoping to chase Male off... however he immediately arose and ran towards them to show his dominance. Brothers did not want to back off and Female in order to protect them went after the brothers herself with a roar and a chase back to woods.

Brothers trying to protect Female and run her companion off:

gallery_5364_773_59752.jpg

And Female Sister with Her Love;

gallery_5364_773_48010.jpg

After the love is gone - she needs a cigarette...

gallery_5364_773_20938.jpg

The game drive straight from the strip was fun; much nicer than arriving at the camp and hurrying right out again. Kenny was our spotter who sat on the hood and used his arms to indicate which direction Joseph should drive. A rather strange form of sign language but that night it worked for us...

We arrive after dark at the camp; a tiring day but worth it to see the interactions between sis and the bros.

Tomorrow: "Jumping JOE Flash Hits the Gas" and a hair grazing cruiser or two.

Edited by graceland

In the early morning we awake to a beautiful view from our tent, no.1. I love the simplicity and setting of LK and can't wait to see what the day brings. From our bed there is a wide view out on the wetlands and a delta with some hippos and birds hanging out. Just lovely

gallery_5364_773_47510.jpg

And the Lounge Area where we spent most of our down-time (flipping through Hari's photobooks) I of course bragged that I knew who he was :D

gallery_5364_773_39000.jpg

Up and Out we go, our seatmates, Greenlantern (from now on GL), Joseph and Kenny. Joe mentions if we take the time we can race to the other side of the concession to find the Buffalo Al casually mentioned he had heard about; would we mind driving far - well, no not if we'd see the herds..So off we go, very deep sand, much looser than I imagined, but I am on my first full day in the bush.

On the way we pass some Cheetah and I am able to snap a blurry photo....

(Cannot find that pic as of this Edit....New Years Eve 2012; what am I doing editing pics at 6pm New Years eve...oh right, Greenlantern gave me a glass of champagne...everything works better with bubbly)

But there were Buffalo to find - however, mid way- Joe does a complete turnabout and says there is a Cheetah sighting (didn't we just see them) and in HIGH SPEED, TOTAL GRAND PRIX MODE, we go find the Cheetah ~~or will die doing so.

Driving breakneck speed through Mopane forests, branches flying; tearing down everything in front of the cruiser we are all holding on to the rail - Al and I are on first row, Gl behind us. Two Kwara vechicles show up and the game we know as "chicken" begins in full force - WHO will get there first? I was told there was an Aussie show with 2 men who did these Crazy Game Drives and we believe they are re-incarnated in Joe. Kenny cannot sit on the hood and walks the cruiser to sit in the back with GL....

I finally realize how dangerous this driving is; as does Al and GL....screaming at Joe does no good; he is driven with this game. I truly believe there was something wrong with him; the wild look in his face, his inability to listen to us; his insistance we HAD to get there; it was unbelievable to me this was occuring on this first full day of our highly anticipated trip. We felt trapped and helpless; just hold on until he stops. Unfortunately he stopped a bit too quick and a couple of (minor) though I did not feel it was minor for a while -injuries occured.

I refused to speak to Joe again; I was furious and there was no one to discuss this with at camp; it was a sign of problems..at least to us. Getting out of the vehicle at lunch (which he had brought out to us by some of his camp pals)--And seeing virtually nothing but flying trees, shrubs and cruisers for hours, I swore I'd not get back in. I wanted a ride back to camp with his buddies but was told I could not go with them. I did not care what his issues are; but I wanted out THEN.

I am aching and hurt; I wanted to go home. I hate to even post this; I debated for a while but it is a REPORT and this is what happened. I did not want Joe to lose his job as I knew he had children; but I wanted SOMEONE to do something and the only one at camp who could was not capable. He needed training and perhaps a leave. A long leave and HELP.

Next: An evening with Hobbs; calm and collected.

Edited by graceland

Woah, the report took an almost surreal turn around there!

Woah, the report took an almost surreal turn around there!

Ya think??

But I came out of it totally smitten with Botswana! One bad day --but Eleven Great Ones Ahead! :)

Cowboy Hobbs takes me out on the River to the Henrony - it was soothing, magical and an incredible Africa sunset. Hobbs took control; took care of his camp's guests and made me a believer when I hear the stories of this amazing man.

gallery_5364_773_35045.jpg

To say the least, he made the best of a bad day for me with such a positive and caring way. He knew what happened and he made sure I had a great evening on a magical sunset night. I won't forget him for that and the time he took with me.

....And he is quite the Photographer

gallery_5364_773_3614.jpg

On another note and the last time I will mention it...Joe went to our tent while I was with Hobbs and with tears apologized to GL for his actions of that day. We do not know what what going on in his life, but we decided to go on with a positive attitude...and hoped someone helped him in his time of obvious distress, especially the Kwando team.

Edited by graceland

Tell it like it is for you Graceland. You did well -'what you experienced without too much judgement after-the fact. It reads really well like this - quite a twist in the tale, but signalled by a blurry cheetah shot - i reckon no way you would have passed on cheetah on your first day normally; regardless of your destination.

Okay I am looking forward to the rest mow. All the best trips have a bad day.

gallery_5364_773_29628.jpg

\the sunset on the water and tomorrow a new day.

GL and I stay in - we decide after 48 hrs of travel and the "chaos" of first day we'd just relax...get revved again and look forward to our next three camps.

I wanted to love Little Kwara; one reason I added it to our "nest" of 3 WS camps. Disappointed, yes, but there was so much ahead; I just kept reminding GL, we still have 3 more camps.

Sometimes Karma just does not enter the picture. The camp; its's setting, some of the guests (Hi Al) did make it a somewhat unique experience! And hey, we won't forget the race through the mopane ~~ it was adrenaline that saved us...thank goodness.

Edited by graceland

That sunset on the water photo is gorgeous! I'm glad you had the nice boat trip with Hobbs to make up for the crazy drive with Joe.

Yep. over that - we are moving on.....Bored with it.gallery_5364_753_46988.jpgSo much to see we are happy we had such an experience to REALLY appreciate what is ahead...

Meanwhile I am watching Springstein, Waters,Stones, Clapton, for "Sandy 1212" and reliving my wild, rebellious 20's. rock n roll!!

How many of youall remember those crazy years.... Mick can stut for sure. (that is another "trip" report :rolleyes: )

Moving on....

gallery_5364_754_53153.jpg

Edited by graceland

Enjoying your report, Graceland. Your pictures bring back pleasant memories. However, I have to say I am most disappointed by your description of your experience at Little Kwara and I find the guide's (Joe?) behavior totally unacceptable. When we were there, not only was Hobbs a superb guide with an uncanny ability to anticipate both the location and behavior of the animals along with our photographic desires, but he was also acutely aware of the environment and a perfect gentlemen at all times. Night and day from your guide and I am glad at least you were able to spend some time with Hobbs.

Meanwhile I am watching Springstein, Waters,Stones, Clapton, for "Sandy 1212" and reliving my wild, rebellious 20's. rock n roll!!

How many of youall remember those crazy years.... Mick can stut for sure. (that is another "trip" report :rolleyes: )

Remember them? Some of us are still living them, my dear! Pangolin and I, for instance, both saw Springsteen and co. a couple nights apart in Oregon and CA last month! I go see a ton of live rock music still and you should too - keeps you young! I'm watching the show now on the west coast, what a ton of talent they got together for this cause - fantastic! But now, on with this trip report of yours - can't wait to read more!

Graceland, what a stunning sunset, I'm very impressed but what a start to your safari?!! My goodness, I'd be fairly upset as well but hopefully it was just a bad day for Joe and that he got over it fairly quickly and is better with his next guests.

And you've mastered the photos and text so you're on a roll. :D

Thanks all for the kind words; I was waffling about even writing but was encouraged that a bad report of a guide/experience is better than no report at all.

Happy to report the next 11 days were fabulous! I now understand the slowness of TR's - esp. first time..it is NOT easy working with one pic at a time AND managing text and photo posting..still learning.

Oh right, its only "rock n roll"....not rocket science!

Safarichick..watch out- you'll get my TRIP REPORT on Mick and the Stones - took GL to a concert; and sat up front and personal ~ with Mick wearing his safari attire a big too small. :o Naturally I was just interested in his dance moves. NEVER too old for the Rock Hall of Fame!

Next: Chitabe - GREAT Guides, Game and Smiling Staff

I Just Loved This Guy hanging with his Pride trying to steal a Cheetah's kill..

gallery_5364_754_54981.jpg

And....

gallery_5364_754_4025.jpg

and pups hiding in the grass

gallery_5364_754_130484.jpg

Chitabe was amazingly full of Game - from the Dogs, to Leopards (and an impala & warthog kill) Prides of Lions, Herds Elephants - and a "charge"; a Cheetah kill in the early morning pourdown of rain, dazzles of Zebra and pairs of Giraffes here there and everywhere. I could have just stayed here forever. What a difference!

More to follow...

As Molemi, our most excellent guide said - This is Africa; Wake up and all is Brand New.

Edited by graceland

After being all shook-up, you ended up with hound dogs!