PeterHG's Big Year-4th time

PeterHG

Thank you @Peter Connan and @Kitsafari.

288. Tree Sparrow. Arkemheen, April. I was very happy to see this one, as numbers have gone down quite dramatically.

i-QJN5TdJ-L.jpg

289. Black-tailed Godwit. Arkemheen, April. Our national bird and fortunately still present as a breeding bird in the meadows nearby, but fewer nests every year. I would truly miss their call in spring if they were to disappear completely...

i-LWKXLwH-L.jpg

i-6N2H9Wk-L.jpg

290. Meadow Pipit. Arkemheen, April. Still very common, fortunately.

i-PjV6MF9-L.jpg

i-tNCg8JZ-L.jpg

291. Stock Dove. Arkemheen, April. Not nearly as common as the Wood Pigeon, but in the local meadows they are usually a few present. Quite shy.

i-kXVQF28-L.jpg

292. Black-necked Grebe. Zevenhoven, April. A visit to a wetland area an hour's drive from here produced this handsome grebe. It stayed a little farther away than I'd hoped but there are not too many opportunities to see it, so still happy with the result.

i-TZbFPBc-L.jpg

293. Ring-necked Pheasant. Zevenhoven, April.

i-4H5WfvC-L.jpg

terrific shot of the Stock Dove

michael-ibk

Agree, that's such a tough bird to get.

294. Little Ringed Plover. Zevenhoven, April. Even in this flight shot the tell-tale yellow eye-ring is visible.

i-jGdcQfX-L.jpg

A trip to the northern parts of the country usually produces some good birds. It's a fairly long drive, but well worth the effort.

295. Western Marsh Harrier. Lauwersmeer, April

i-Bx5TMMM-L.jpg

296. White-tailed Eagle. Lauwersmeer, April. It is one of the few places where you stand a chance of seeing the White-tailed Eagle. Always very distant, but who's complaining?

i-MtKv2Mh-L.jpg

297. Peregrine. Lauwersmeer, April. A falcon that has made quite a come-back and even has a nest in the local church tower.

i-45n3K9m-L.jpg

298. Whinchat. Lauwersmeer, April. Numbers have fallen dramatically, but seem to have stabilized in the last few years

i-Q5qGKHc-L.jpg

299. Western Yellow Wagtail. Lauwersmeer, April.

i-QpKsWq9-L.jpg

For #300 I go back for a second to the wetland area in the middle of the country near the village of Zevenhoven. We had heard the booming call a few times, but then it suddenly flew past to find another spot in the extensive reed beds. I had not seen one for a couple of years, so was quite happy with this.

300. Eurasian Bittern, Zevenhoven, April.

i-jhDgM67-L.jpg

i-3JxCb2j-L.jpg

Edited by PeterHG

Well done on 300 and what a bird to get there on!

michael-ibk

Congratulations Peter, excellent photos all the way through. And what a special bird for #300, wow! 

So many BIF gives a special feel to your #300. Congratulations!

More lovely photos @PeterHG

Maybe next year we should have 2 Big Year categories. Birds and birds in flight.

Incredible shots and that 300th is stunning.

Congrats on the 300 - too many good shots to choose from 

Fantastic bird to reach your 300 with, Peter.

Peter Connan

Wow! Fantastic both on the Bittern, the total and the Little Ringed Plover!

congrats on the 300th and what a special bittern to go with!

fantastic BIF shots!

Dave Williams

Well done indeed on the 300 Peter and with aa Bittern too, one I would love to see.

Your flight shots appear to come like shelling peas! The AF system is very enviable, I tried for some Sand Martin flight shots this week and soon gave up as it was driving me mad!