PeterHG's Big Year-4th time

PeterHG

247 (CR 206). Acorn Woodpecker. San Gerardo, Febr. Unmistakable with its striking facial pattern.

i-68MMgFC-XL.jpg

i-kmhDX6v-XL.jpg

248 (CR 207) Chestnut-capped Brush Finch. San Gerardo, Febr. On a morning walk with a guide, this little bird showed briefly in the darkest part of the forest. 

i-9W5qmCC-M.jpg

249 (CR 208) Spot-crowned Woodcreeper. San Gerardo, Febr. On the same outing. The walk was very nice and produced some good species, but from a photographer's point of view walks in the rainforest do not offer many decent opportunities.

i-kM8Xg4q-M.jpg

250 (CR 209) Spotted Barbtail. San Gerardo. Febr. Apparently this was a good bird to even get a glimpse of and, like the 2 before, it was a lifer for me.

i-Cck6qGD-M.jpg

251 (CR 210) Spotted Wood Quail. San Gerardo, Febr. Hard to see among the leaves and branches of the undergrowth. By lowering myself to their level (not an easy thing for an ageing guy like me :))I managed to make them stand out a little more.

i-PCZnmrq-L.jpg

Running out of superlatives. Superb just does not do it justice. Insert your own.:rolleyes:

252 (CR 211). Yellow-thighed Finch. San Gerardo, Febr.

spacer.png

253 (CR 212). Northern Tufted Flycatcher. San Gerardo, Febr. Also on the morning walk with the guide. First and only sighting.

i-DL7fMSG-L.jpg

254 (CR 213). Yellow-winged Vireo. San Gerardo, Febr.

i-5fwqXrz-L.jpg

255 (CR 214). Black-cheeked Warbler. San Gerardo, Febr. Another one of those little warblers that move about all the time between the branches of the rainforest and make a photographer's life quite hard at times.

i-FKrbvJN-L.jpg

256 (CR 215). Ruddy Treerunner. San Gerardo, Febr. Another challenge and this was all I managed.

i-9B33Xtp-M.jpg

257 (CR 216). Flame-throated Warbler. San Gerardo, Febr. 

i-ZC6ntnm-M.jpg

258 (CR 217). Yellowish Flycatcher. San Gerardo, Febr. This little flycatcher was a little more accommodating and ventured out in the open.

i-FtqcNjH-L.jpg

During our last afternoon in San Gerardo de Dota we had booked access to Batsu Garden, an extensive garden on a mountain slope with quite a few hummingbird feeders and a covered photography platform. We were quite happy with the cover as we had some heavy showers during the three hours we spent there. We really enjoyed our time there with a multitude of flowers, a great view and quite a few birds.

259 (CR 218) Volcano Hummingbird. San Gerardo, Febr. One of the smallest Hummingbirds  of Costa Rica.

i-kPvn6jC-XL.jpg

260 (CR 219) White-throated Mountain Gem. San Gerardo, Febr.

The male:

i-dSTZ4J9-XL.jpg

i-BFdNzS2-XL.jpg

And the female, which is virtually identical to the female Purple-throated Mountain Gem:

i-Tpkz3hk-XL.jpg

Edited by PeterHG

Stunning Hummingbirds Peter

Peter Connan

Fantastic!

pedro maia

When I grow up I want to take pictures like yours, Peter :lol:.

michael-ibk

Love the second White-Throated Mountain Gem photo, great shot! I assume Batsu garden is the same place we spent some hours, a really cool spot.

Thank you very much @TonyQ, @Peter Connan, @pedro maia, @michael-ibk!

3 hours ago, pedro maia said:

When I grow up I want to take pictures like yours, Peter :lol:.

Kind words, Pedro, but keep in mind that conditions in places like Batsu Garden are pretty ideal for photography. Colourful birds and feeders and flowers to attract them. Considering the progress you're making this year you are growing up very quickly anyway :). You'll soon overtake us all.....

1 hour ago, michael-ibk said:

I assume Batsu garden is the same place we spent some hours, a really cool spot.

Very true, Michael, worth every penny, we thought!

Dave Williams

Difficult to follow the Acorn Woodpecker at the top of the page as the next few are more of the LBJ category but they still look great. Then it's back to the Wow factor with the Hummers. Remind us again what camera and lens we need to invest in!

7 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

Remind us again what camera and lens we need to invest in!

Not in the camera and the lens, but in the trip to Costa Rica you should invest :D, Dave! Maybe as a present to yourself if we will win on June 1st?!

Peter, hummers are of the highest quality ... and Batsu garden is one excellent place to photograph them. Have you met the owner?

@xelas what's on june 1st? 

Peter - fab photos. 

pedro maia
2 hours ago, Kitsafari said:

Peter - fab photos. 

Champions League final, I think Dave is a Liverpool fan.

Dave Williams
3 hours ago, Kitsafari said:

:rolleyes: What's a Champions League final she says!