PeterHG's Big Year-4th time

PeterHG

210 (CR 169). Chestnut-sided Warbler. Uvita, Febr. Very common North-American warbler.

spacer.png

9 hours ago, PeterHG said:

Prothonotary Warbler.

Fancy calling that for the checklist after a couple of glasses of Ginever.

211 (CR 170). Boat-billed Flycatcher. Uvita, Febr. Very similar to the Great Kiskadee, but a much heavier bill. It is said to be quite common, but it's the only time I saw one, though I may have overlooked a few, of course.

spacer.png

212 (CR 171). Fiery-billed Aracari. Uvita, Febr. This species replaces the Collared Aracari in the central and southern Pacific areas. 

spacer.png

i-KPVZ6SF-L.jpg

213 (CR 172). Dusky-capped Flycatcher. Uvita, Febr.

spacer.png

214 (CR 173). Yellow-headed Caracara. Uvita, Febr. A walk along the beach produced this beautiful raptor. We saw them on a number of occasions, but mostly juveniles. This was the only adult bird I was able to take a photo of.

spacer.png

215 (CR 174) American Oystercatcher. Uvita, Febr. One wary bird on the beach and the only one we saw.

spacer.png

From our Uvita accommodation we had booked a boat tour on the Sierpe River. Not the best boat tour we had, mainly due to the impatience of the skipper/guide, when we did not manage to see the tiny bird he had spotted in the thick branches overhanging the river. When my wife had seen the bird and I still hadn't, he considered that enough reason to move on to the next spot. I tried to slow him down by explaining that I preferred a leisurely trip over hasty target-hunting, but only partly succeeded. Well, for photography it was not the best opportunity anyway and we did see some interesting birds, so I resigned myself to the pace.

I did manage a quick shot of the hummingbird nest he showed us...

216 (CR 175). Green-breasted Mango. Sierpe River, Febr.

spacer.png

217 (CR 176). Orchard Oriole. Sierpe River, Febr. The female. We did see the male, but no change for a shot.

spacer.png

218 (CR 177) Yellow-tailed Oriole. Sierpe River, Febr. Yet another oriole high up in the trees that we had never seen before.

spacer.png

219 (CR 178) Purple Galllinule. Sierpe River, Febr.

spacer.png

200 (CR 179) Blue-headed Parrot. Sierpe River. Sometimes bird names don't make sense, do they ? ;)

spacer.png

221 (CR 180) Common Nighthawk. Sierpe River, Febr. A really good find by our guide, I must give him that.

spacer.png

222 (CR 181) Yellow-crowned Night Heron. Sierpe River, Febr. One of the most beautiful herons, I think.

spacer.png

223 (CR 182). Gartered Trogon, Uvita, Febr. Formerly  Violaceous Trogon, which has been split into several separate species.

spacer.png

spacer.png

224 (CR 183). Red-crowned Woodpecker. Uvita, Febr. Only present in the southern Pacific area.

Male:

spacer.png

And female:

spacer.png

225 (CR 184) Brown Jay. Uvita, Febr.  The yellowish bill points to this being a juvenile bird

spacer.png

226 (CR 185). Grey-headed Tanager. Uvita, Febr. Seen only once, when we walked the forested trail down to the river from the camp. I did not immediately think of a tanager, but that's what it is. Lifer.

spacer.png

227 (CR 186). House Wren. Uvita, Febr. Quite similar to our European wren.

i-47VKmRD-L.jpg

228 (CR 187) Yellow-olive Flatbill. Uvita, Febr. Also known as Yellow-olive Flycatcher. This one had me baffled for a while, but I'm reasonably sure the ID is correct. Of course, if anyone has other ideas I'd be happy to hear them.

spacer.png

229 (CR 188) Streak-headed Woodcreeper. Uvita, Febr. Seen at various locations.

spacer.png

Then onwards to our final destination: San Gerardo de Dota, quite high up in the mountains. On the way there we managed to pick up a few additions:

230 (CR 189). Blue-and white Swallow. CR, Febr.

spacer.png

Edited by PeterHG

231 (CR 190) Swallow-tailed Kite. CR, Febr. One of the most beautiful raptors of Costa Rica

spacer.png

232 (CR 191) Sooty Thrush. San Gerardo de Dota, Febr. 

spacer.png

233 (CR 192). Grey-breasted Wood Wren. San Gerardo, Febr. We saw this little bird, a lifer, on our first little walk after arriving at our accommodation. It turned ou to be the only sighting.

spacer.png